Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2: Asura and Sylvari Review

MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,719Administrator Uncommon

We spent some time with the asura and sylvari during this past weekend's final Guild Wars 2 beta event before launch and today we're offering our thoughts on both!

Ever since it was announced that we could choose different races in Guild Wars 2, I’ve had my heart set on making a Charr.  I know I’d make a Norn down the road, but I’d start with a Charr.  Well now I have to rework my plan.  I was really surprised at what the Asura brought to the game.   I always liked the Asura, but I never thought I could connect with one.  The Asura add some comic relief to the game.  Their sarcastic nature and experiments constantly blowing up bring much needed comedy to a world ruled by dragons and war.   The connection between me and my Asuran character happened almost instantly.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Asura and Sylvari Review.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

• nadrian3knadrian3k BucharestPosts: 103Member

Asura FTW!

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

I'd play an Asura if they were taller.. I like their theme, their personalities, their animations, etc. but playing a little guy is just never something I wana do.

• RocknissRockniss Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,034Member
    You guys gotta stop writing these articles or at least I have to stop reading them. Now I am contemplating the Asura myself. I'm going to play a ranger so that might play into this, but can you picture the annoying little bugger just buzzing around launching arrows at you, you run but just can't get away.
  • CoolitCoolit FalkirkPosts: 468Member Uncommon

For me the star of the weekend was the Asura, I absolutely loved the animations and emotes. The starter zone wasn't bad either although not my favourite it was still interesting. 

• SpallieroSpalliero Fresno, CAPosts: 147Member
    Sylvari truly impressed me, I didn't expect much but it was really well done. The asura were awesome too. I was impressed truly.

Sic Luceat Lux

• VolmokVolmok Cluj-NapocaPosts: 63Member Uncommon

Comming form year of WoW play, I was never a fan of small racess (gnomes in particular) with the exception of dwarfs. This weekend I was intrigued by the Asura and I have to say that this will be the race I will play! Asura engineer fits right in once you start playing through their starter area, gadgets, kits, bombs, etc.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

It wasn't just you, I really expected to be all over the Sylvari. They're a gorgeous race, I was happy to see they lacked the elven roots (punny!) they started with, and instead were full-out trend/plant-like race. My Sylvari was beautifully ugly, a Guardian, with his face split down the middle showing bark where his nose was and blossoms for ears. How cool is that? The starting zone was a real treat as well, exploring it was like climbing a tree as a kid.

Unfortunately their storyline just fell on its ass for me. I've enjoyed all but one other race's storyline, the Norn, and Sylvari is down there with the big lugs for me. I suppose it might be because they're a 'newborn' race so there's not a lot of history to them. The choices I had to make were ~great~, and it came back to bite me in the ass; I had to choose at one point between going with a friend to save his wife or going with Caithe to save the village. I chose the latter because it made sense (and he was kind of a pussy anyway) and he ended up coming back brainwashed by the Nightmare Court, both he and his Mesmer wife, as champion level bosses. I got to kill them. It was satisfying.

But the story itself wasn't memorable, and I honestly don't remember anything else I did in it. I expected to love Caithe, she was awesome in the books, but I don't care for that voice actress' portrayal of her, she's pretentious and uppity where I pictured her more innocent and accommodating. 

For all I know, it's working as intended though; after what happened in the book, all of Destiny's Edge changed (Zojja was kind of bitchy as well in the game and Logan has streaks of emo, Rytlock was the only one that stayed true to his roots...but he's a Charr so...). Their personalities in the game could be a symptom of that (Rytlock mentions it actually), so maybe I'll end up falling in love with the Caithe I read about much later in the storyline. Still, as it stands, the Asura have Sylvari beat hands down.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• nadrian3knadrian3k BucharestPosts: 103Member

The only thing that bugs me out is that Sylvari have a very good racial-skill. They have a SECCOND entangle skill that is better then the common elite entangle that all rangers have (not racial). That means they can cast 2 entangles.

Asura have other racial-skills, also extremely powerfull, but with the current state of entangle, it's the better skill.

I want to go asura, but that skill (and it's current state) just makes me want to pick the more potential race over the race that i like. They really have to do something about that.

Picking Asura (even tho i love their concept and it makes the game very fun for me) gives me the impression i negate a lot of OP-power the Sylvari offer me with their seccond-free entangle skill which, if anyone played a bit competitively over the weekend, knows how hands down impossibly OP is (entangle in general...consider 2 now)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

I learned that My main character will be a Sylvari ranger.I will have others that I will bring along for a change..and crafting.

I absolutely loved the look..feel of the sylvari world

Ahhh...can't wait.

(cannot remember when I had more fun in a game than I did in the last beta)

Now my only concern in finding a great server for WvW.

• XeridianXeridian Dallas, TXPosts: 22Member
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

It wasn't just you, I really expected to be all over the Sylvari. They're a gorgeous race, I was happy to see they lacked the elven roots (punny!) they started with, and instead were full-out trend/plant-like race. My Sylvari was beautifully ugly, a Guardian, with his face split down the middle showing bark where his nose was and blossoms for ears. How cool is that? The starting zone was a real treat as well, exploring it was like climbing a tree as a kid.

Unfortunately their storyline just fell on its ass for me. I've enjoyed all but one other race's storyline, the Norn, and Sylvari is down there with the big lugs for me. I suppose it might be because they're a 'newborn' race so there's not a lot of history to them. The choices I had to make were ~great~, and it came back to bite me in the ass; I had to choose at one point between going with a friend to save his wife or going with Caithe to save the village. I chose the latter because it made sense (and he was kind of a pussy anyway) and he ended up coming back brainwashed by the Nightmare Court, both he and his Mesmer wife, as champion level bosses. I got to kill them. It was satisfying.

But the story itself wasn't memorable, and I honestly don't remember anything else I did in it. I expected to love Caithe, she was awesome in the books, but I don't care for that voice actress' portrayal of her, she's pretentious and uppity where I pictured her more innocent and accommodating. 

For all I know, it's working as intended though; after what happened in the book, all of Destiny's Edge changed (Zojja was kind of bitchy as well in the game and Logan has streaks of emo, Rytlock was the only one that stayed true to his roots...but he's a Charr so...). Their personalities in the game could be a symptom of that (Rytlock mentions it actually), so maybe I'll end up falling in love with the Caithe I read about much later in the storyline. Still, as it stands, the Asura have Sylvari beat hands down.

Caithe's voice acting I thought was spot on. I sensed she had a wall up for some reason and was guarding some secrets, as the dialog so well implied. I think that's where you missed it and would have to see the character develop more down the road as you only saw the very beginning. She seems to have a reason not to trust people, therin lies your missunderstanding of the character.  That's exactly how someone would sound / act with that type of mindset.

I sense a huge twist later on, something I can't wait to find out and experience. Not every character is supposed to be your buddy, that doesn't always server for the best premise, besides you just killed your idiot friend and his wife for going looney with the nightmare court. I also suspect our choices will change every single personal outcome, so maybe next time choose different attributes when creating your character and you may find the story you're looking for. 

• liliyoliliyo athensPosts: 43Member

sylvari have the best homeworld hands down

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon

Both races are truly a piece of art in every way.

The Asura and their combat animations are REALLY fun to watch. Reminds me a bit of Yoda jumping around in a ball of fenzy against Doku in Ep.2. It really looks cool, if they shoulder the heavy weapon or anything, it just is fun to watch them. Also their hilarious backstories are cool and funny. Any MMO needs a more lighthearted and childlike element.

Sylvari are as race visually probably THE most beautiful and interesting race; they are a REAL piece of art, IMO. The backstory is cool, even tho a tad too mystic for my taste. At least the white stag stuff. I loved the Green Knight backstory, where the hero even defends a gay Sylvari couple. That was nice. ^^

ANet really went to great length to make all playable races interesting and distinctive, Humans, Norn, Charr, Asura and Sylvari: all have unique realms, backstories, mentalities, cultures and looks. You don't just get a race and then it's all the same, no you really get a unique cultural race with everything. I still plan to play human as main, because I could relate to the human backstory the most, but Sylvari are really a piece of art with their flowery look.

Well done, ANet!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,455Member Uncommon

Both areas were stunning. Felt like I was in some enchanted land I never wanted to leave. Great job!!

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums.