Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Graphics Comparison and Performance Guide 1080

quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT3-keOJkWk

Ok so finally I have finished my Guild Wars 2 Graphics comparison. Using video wipes as well as screenshots I have a look through the ingame options and compare the quality from high-mid-low-off. As well as a section just for a shadow comparison.

Using this you should be able to get a idea what the settings do and perhaps the options you can lower to gain a few fps without losing image quality.

This is one breathtaking game. I have never been so amazed by a games graphics quality. When your in world vs world with so many crazy spells and effects going off you really get a idea how impressive it is.

I recommend watching the video as using wipes its very simple to spot differences in the settings. For anyone who doesnt want to watch the video feel free to check out the screenshots below.

High

http://postimage.org/image/w7e2mpfcr/

http://postimage.org/image/4y2p87e9n/

Mid

http://postimage.org/image/sg93e4r23/

http://postimage.org/image/fq4v11j3v/

Low

http://postimage.org/image/u5i6m76rf/

http://postimage.org/image/pkw079n23/

Low/Off

http://postimage.org/image/wrxp34xyz/

http://postimage.org/image/7n6oppyij/

Shadow Comparison

Ultra  http://postimage.org/image/4h5jm4aev/

High  http://postimage.org/image/4q34c1n7b/

Mid  http://postimage.org/image/p00fr6oc7/

Low  http://postimage.org/image/i8a0obzcn/

Off/Off  http://postimage.org/image/q4uhwkat3/

This video/post took me a while to make so if you found it usefull please take the time to thumbs up the video or post. Also if you wish to see more of these graphics comparisons feel free to subscribe or check my Graphics Comparison section of the channel :) 

COMPUTER SPECS

*Windows 7 - 64 Bit

*Tower: Cooler Master 690

*Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3ghz OC'ed to 4.5ghz

*Ram: 8GB 1600mhz g.skill ripjaws

*Graphics Card: Ati/AMD 6850 Oc'ed to 930/1150

*Mother Board: Asus P8P67

*Power Supply: Antec current gamer 620watt

*Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

You have 4.5GHz cpu, that's why you get such nice performance =]

I have much weaker pc and I run with everything on max, with shadows on low and shaders on medium. i found out that shaders changed from high to medium really improved my framerate. Especially in towns and pvp. Overall I expect even better performance at release =]

And the game looks like this for me:

imageimage

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I would love to see more replys from thoes who are running max graphics and what their specs are. It should provide a good baseline for "current" minimum specs to run max graphics. I'm sporting the same memory, processor not oc'ed and 2x5770's with a similar HD. Be nice to see who has a similar spec and what their performance was like

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Also, as said numerous times : current version is CPU bound, so you have to set your GW2.exe process to "high" in task manager. My framerate doubled after that.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Deathenger

I would love to see more replys from thoes who are running max graphics and what their specs are. It should provide a good baseline for "current" minimum specs to run max graphics. I'm sporting the same memory, processor not oc'ed and 2x5770's with a similar HD. Be nice to see who has a similar spec and what their performance was like

Its CPU bottlenecked so no matter how good your GPU is its not gonna matter right now.

I have a 6970 2gb GPU and 1090t Black Ed. 3.6 ghz OC and it doesnt matter if I run the game in the lowest or highest settings, the frame rates stay virtually the same.

When they optimize it most of these problems should go away but for now most people will get awful-poor performance except those with either REALLY high end CPU's or people who have OC's their CPU's well beyond the default settings. at least 4.0ghz but probably more around 4.5-5ghz which I would NOT recommend trying unless you know what your doing.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I like the guild wars 1 character more :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Remember Xfire and SLI are not supported so you are just using one GPU also GW 2 is CPU heavy game looking at my loads I have a GTX 580 and it just sits around at 30% load graphics maxed out. They also did tweaking friday night so in certain areas I was getting around 160-190 FPS and in WvWin massive battles roughly around 35+ fps with you know like 200+ players, I do turn shadows off in WvW. 

Also my specs are :-

Intel 990X @ 4GHZ now

12 GB Corsair Dominator running triple channel @ 2030Mhz

GTX 580 OC'c core 850Mhz

2 x 120GB Crucial M4 SSDs Raid 0

Corsair 1200watt PSU

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Nice video.

Now we cant notice so many diferences between low and high graphics, it is still CPU bounded, when it turns GPU the graphic card will have more influence and diferences between low and high, for example, will be more i think.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Its CPU bottlenecked so no matter how good your GPU is its not gonna matter right now.

I have a 6970 2gb GPU and 1090t Black Ed. 3.6 ghz OC and it doesnt matter if I run the game in the lowest or highest settings, the frame rates stay virtually the same.

When they optimize it most of these problems should go away but for now most people will get awful-poor performance except those with either REALLY high end CPU's or people who have OC's their CPU's well beyond the default settings. at least 4.0ghz but probably more around 4.5-5ghz which I would NOT recommend trying unless you know what your doing.

They said that the CPU is currently the bottleneck in high end system yes. That does not mean that the GPU don't matter, a bad GPU will still suck. Crossfire was disabled here so your 2 cards doesn´t really help at all at the moment.

My hexacore on the other hand worked surprisingly good here. :) I didn't even clock it up, I decided to try first and see if I had to, but I had great performance all the time (it is water cooled so I had plan to clock it up from 3,2 to 3,8).

But yeah, the engine needs optimization.

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    I was able to run the game on max settings with good framerates but i only play on a 16x10 monitor. I did also notice my gpu wasnt even trying while my cpu was being murdered. My specs are modest but im sure my cpu oc helped out since its cpu bound rite now.

2500K @4.5
    560ti 448 classified @950/2200
    Antec tru power 650
    asus p8p67 pro
    8Gb crucial ballistix
    1Tb seagate 7200

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by sammyeli

Remember Xfire and SLI are not supported so you are just using one GPU also GW 2 is CPU heavy game looking at my loads I have a GTX 580 and it just sits around at 30% load graphics maxed out. They also did tweaking friday night so in certain areas I was getting around 160-190 FPS and in WvWin massive battles roughly around 35+ fps with you know like 200+ players, I do turn shadows off in WvW. 

Intel 990X @ 4GHZ now

GTX 580 OC'c core 850Mhz

Corsair 1200watt PSU

1200W? Lol, why don't you just plug it straight into Tjernobyl?

And I thought my Corsair V2 950W was extreme overkill. :)

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I started on high.  But decided not to play with it on high until they optimize the engine and went with 'balanced' and had high frame rates.    High was amazing the 10-minutes I had it on.   I could run it, I felt, with ease.   But in a beta engine...     I'm not going to monkey with high, I feel like you're playing with fire and inviting crashes.  

For point of reference, I've got an ATI 5950 over-clocked to where a 7950 comes out of the factory box.   I've got an i7 over-clocked to 3.80 GHz.   I also run an RAID-0 array so I, effectively, have 40K+ HDD...      So I tend not to lag as bad as others on programs that go to disk a lot.   I don't crossfire/SLI.   Did that once, years ago, the pain and suffering wasn't worth it.   I'm sure it's better today...  But I'm happy enough.  

Originally posted by Loke666

Intel 990X @ 4GHZ now

GTX 580 OC'c core 850Mhz

Corsair 1200watt PSU

I have a 1200W PSU.   It's really worth it.   Power supplies degrade over time.    And when you're running a lot of stuff, doing a lot of over-clocking, run tons of fans, have a big RAID assembly...   You need that PSU.    Not so much the day you make the computer.   But three or fours years down the road when the rails have degraded from use and you've lost 20%, or more, of capacity.

Originally posted by Sicc1

I was able to run the game on max settings with good framerates but i only play on a 16x10 monitor. I did also notice my gpu wasnt even trying while my cpu was being murdered. My specs are modest but im sure my cpu oc helped out since its cpu bound rite now. 2500K @4.5 560ti 448 classified @950/2200 Antec tru power 650 asus p8p67 pro 8Gb crucial ballistix 1Tb seagate 7200

Yes.   And ANet said straight out on the beta-test forums that the game is not optimized and is "CPU bound" in its current state.   They'll start the optimization process later.   Your GPU will take on more, your CPU less.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Only first hours i had lag but on saturday it seems they fixed it i used FRAPS also in WvsWvsW and had no framerate problems and no lag so almost whole weeknd game run fine even with huge group and alot of action with spells.

I got also high end pc but with fraps i had around 20fps still no delay could play smoothly.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I have a i7 870 @ 2.93 (stock), 8 GB ram, GTS 450, Windows 7 (was a warranty replacement cpu for a 3 yr old cpu that the gfx card went out on about 1.5 years ago, would of chose a different gfx card, since I had a GTX type card in the old cpu, but was shocked they were buying a new one...So didn't argue.)

I left the game on balanced, which it loaded up in, since they said it is not optimized and if you have lower/older stuff it would not run great and expect lag.

I didn't have any lag problems, but I did not WvWvW....When it gets closer to release, I will probably try to ramp things up, and see where things stand, and if I have to get anything.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Loke666

Intel 990X @ 4GHZ now

GTX 580 OC'c core 850Mhz

Corsair 1200watt PSU

Well I initialy bought it because I was going for tri SLI, then I stopped because of IVY bridge, but now I will be doign a full SLI since nVidia will release their own CPU hopefully soon and I will not be spending any money on a new comp until that comes out, so It is a good buy.

Also I am ordering full Liquid cooling thats another hit on the PSU, I am going for over kill cooling that includes RAM + Chipset + tri SLI GPU cooling + CPU  and proper air flow through the PC, so it will help out with the extra power.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215
    Wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to give feedback. It helps make future videos better and I cant thank you enough for all the positive feedback! :)

Will update on release with new Info and actual performance benchmarks

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

They've definitely put much more of the load on the GPU now.  Mine was barely working at all during the first 2 BWEs, but it's getting a good workout this time around.  

I'm using a single 5770, I7 860 clocked at manufacturer settings (2.88GHz) and can run every setting pretty much maxxed (only shaders toned down to medium) without any framerate issues.  There's no in game option to view FPS at the moment, and I haven't gone out of my way to use an external program to find out, but I can confidently estimate that I've kept over 40 fps for the majority of the game and around 25-30 fps during the most stressful moments.  

Originally posted by Homitu

They've definitely put much more of the load on the GPU now.  Mine was barely working at all during the first 2 BWEs, but it's getting a good workout this time around.  

I'm using a single 5770, I7 860 clocked at manufacturer settings (2.88GHz) and can run every setting pretty much maxxed (only shaders toned down to medium) without any framerate issues.  There's no in game option to view FPS at the moment, and I haven't gone out of my way to use an external program to find out, but I can confidently estimate that I've kept over 40 fps for the majority of the game and around 25-30 fps during the most stressful moments.  

I noticed the same. Went from 30-40fps in certain areas to 60+ (and with more players around) so there deff working out the kinks. I even saw a few 80+ moments in WvWvW :o (thats with a i5 2500 and a 6850 oc'ed)

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Running 5280x1050 with a 7970 overclocked a bit and an i7-950 at 4.2Ghz. All settings maxed in game.

I put up a load of screenshots in this thread here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358004/Some-screenshots-from-BWE3.html

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

I'm running: 

i5-2500k @ 3.3 GHz

8 GB Ram

SSD

ATI 6970

In most areas when I glance down at my fps its about 40 on max everything.  In some DE it drops into the teens and other areas it caps out at 60.

To add, 1080p resolution.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Homitu

As a backup to this post, BWE2 I was seeing about 30% GPU use out of my 6970.  BWE3 it was about 80%.

• nixx1972nixx1972 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Hey Guys,

Have ran all 3 BWE's with max settings and not a single hitch.  running win 7 64x, asus mb, i5 2320 w/12g and a gtx 560 ti

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by QSatu

You have 4.5GHz cpu, that's why you get such nice performance =]

According to some posts from Anet tech support on their forums this weekend, some people who over-clocked their Hardware were expected to get WORSE PERFORMANCE than people who set it to Factory Defaults.  ...this is due to them STILL not completely having the game optimized for all hardware.   AMD users in particular but also a few Nvidia people with newer buggy drivers also had really bad performance despite having really new and expensive hardware.

For me, WvWvW was completely unplayable at 3-4 fps in the large battles yet I have a HD6790 that runs most Unreal-Engine games at a comfy 50-60 FPS on average.  ...this is really concerning to me since there's no way I'm going to afford a new Quad/Hex CPU in time for release so I just have to hope that the new AMD Beta drivers along with Anet, fixes this issue for me b/c my GFX card should be handling 40-man fights in WvWvW (but right now the FANS don't even kick on which tells me it's not even using the GPU right now).