Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constructive criticism, what should be improved,

Comments

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I only had a couple major complaints really and they aren't that big.

1)  Let me move chat window tabs off the chat window so I can have chat and damage up at the same time (If this was available I couldn't find where)

2)  When I change keybindings, update the UI to reflect those changes don't just remove the identifier from the hotkey, that might sound like something that shouldn't matter, but Its like I said my issues weren't too "big" to begin with.

3) For the love of god, let me place a ground target while using mouse look.  In other words, why can I not use my mouse look to zoom behind me, while holding it down hit my Glue Gun (Ground target AE snare) and pan the camera behind me and while STILL holding down the R Mouse, let me click the L Mouse and place.. it doesn't.  This could be fixed by someones earlier suggestion of letting me turn off camera snap.

4)  Que system for Spvp.  This one is the only thing that pissed me off bad.  Why in the hell are you going to put me in a game when I click "Play" instead of choosing a server, where one team has 1 guy against 5 and the score is 495 to 5.  Come on now, that is rediculous.  At that point the auto balancing should recognize any matches where the points are "un-recoverable" it won't add more to that game until the round ends.  I can't count on two hands how many times I was placed into games where I was in it for 10-30 seconds before it ended and then I get stuck on a team with 1 guy against those same 5 and it never auto balances more people to our team so I had to quit out.  I would also like to see in the server browser the amount of players in each class type, I am tired of joining a game with 6 Rifle warriors and 2 thieves.  

#4 is the biggest issue to me by FAR. 

Final Input:

As someone who was not really interested in this game, the last BWE really got me excited, also, like someone else said if you are going to combine servers, they should have taken this time to test out max players in Wv3, and increased the amount allowed.  I also would like to see a week long open beta where they let anyone play.  I really think companies are shooting themselves in the foot with potential buyers like myself, who will never preorder a game with out a trial or open "stress" test to check it out first, I used to be able to but after being burned by mmo after mmo I don't anymore and I think they lose a lot of potential customers by only allowing random key events and preorders.  

I was forced to take this key by a buddy who wanted me to check it out, I told him it was a waste cause I had zero interest in playing it...   Glad he did because I enjoyed it a lot and preordered this sunday.  Hope others out there who were on the fence had friends with an extra key to push them to try it.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• LouieTuesdayLouieTuesday Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by LouieTuesday
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

What should be improved...how about having a point to the game?

Gear and stats and all that scale in W v W.........so yea log in and youre done. I really enjoy taking my time and sinking 50 hours into a game before i even get max level. I cant do that in this game..I just dont get it. If an actual level 80 is going to struggle to kill an actual level 17..whats the point of going to 80? Everythings practically even. 15% bonus MAYBE for the 80 for being a real 80..

Can you please tell me what is the point of playing agame of chess?

At least chess is free.

No it's not. My chess set cost $250.

A childs chess set even costs $10.

I play at the local YMCA...Where are you going with this? Do YOU have a point other than to try to troll me?

The truth about Guild Wars 2

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

My list.

1. Optimization. The game does not run nearly as well as it should on high end machines. On that end, I'd like to see engine improvements. We're still running on DirectX 9c here, over 8 years old. Graphics are disappointing to me. They're stylized which is great, but lack detail.

2. Difficulty. It's way off. Some content is way too hard, with bosses that 1-shot you without giving a clear indication of where they're going to strike. A lot of other content is way too easy, presenting no challenge at all. In general, I found any event where there's more than 10 people to be a complete pushover.

3. Tutorials. You're never going to invite a new crowd of players the way the game starts now. MMO veterans will feel at home, someone who's never played one will be absolutely clueless.

4. Dungeon Finder. Yet another game that launches without it. I cannot stress the necessity of this enough. People that hate it don't need to use it, but it's so fucking annoying to have to spam chat for hours.

5. Event Chains. Ties in to difficulty. How am I ever going to see our town get destroyed by centaurs unless we're losing on purpose? There's no sense of urgency here, anyone can fend off an invasion at this point. I remember RIFT fondly in this area. When a zone event started, there was crap coming from literally everywhere, and outposts were constantly overrun if you dared to try and defend it with less than 20 people. It was insanely fun, and despite having the game built around stuff like this, I have yet to experience something similar in Guild Wars. 

Still the best MMO I played in years. Just some issues with it. An absolute delight to play after the steaming pile of crap that was SW:TOR.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Tarka

Gear and stats and all that scale in W v W.........so yea log in and youre done. I really enjoy taking my time and sinking 50 hours into a game before i even get max level. I cant do that in this game..I just dont get it. If an actual level 80 is going to struggle to kill an actual level 17..whats the point of going to 80? Everythings practically even. 15% bonus MAYBE for the 80 for being a real 80..

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that GW2 is a bit like SWTOR in when it comes to "auto level balancing" for pvp i.e. players levels are auto changed to "level the playing field" but the players still retain whatever abilities they have gained up until that point, albeit scaled appropriate for the pvp battle.

Therefore, in theory, a player of a particular level in pvp will have more abilities/traits/utilties at their disposal than another player at a lower level (giving them a bit of an "edge").  Hence the "point" still remains in playing the game:  i.e. level up and gain abilities that (in theory) should be useful in pvp matches.  

Is that not the case with GW2? 

Maybe im confused? Everyone is saying were always on a level playing field and that this game is skill based.  If what you are saying is true, then im going to get stomped early on by people who use the cash shop to get 80 first? Now i dont even want to buy to try

How are they going to cash shop to 80 first?

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Also ArenaNet already said WvW is getting a propper queue system on release. Right now it is bugged people can jump the queue making times people queue up last longer. Most of the time there was issues with CPU usage so they halfed the number allowed into WvW. So add this and the fact lots of people was jumping the queue ( me included ) made for longer queue times. They also stated that on release you will be able to see what number you are in the queue.

Originally posted by Koroshiya

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that GW2 is a bit like SWTOR in when it comes to "auto level balancing" for pvp i.e. players levels are auto changed to "level the playing field" but the players still retain whatever abilities they have gained up until that point, albeit scaled appropriate for the pvp battle.

Therefore, in theory, a player of a particular level in pvp will have more abilities/traits/utilties at their disposal than another player at a lower level (giving them a bit of an "edge").  Hence the "point" still remains in playing the game:  i.e. level up and gain abilities that (in theory) should be useful in pvp matches.  

Maybe im confused? Everyone is saying were always on a level playing field and that this game is skill based.  If what you are saying is true, then im going to get stomped early on by people who use the cash shop to get 80 first? Now i dont even want to buy to try

How are they going to cash shop to 80 first?

Exp boosters. You KNOW whole guilds are going to abuse them and get to 80 fast and just kill lowbies and if its not a level playing field like i thought..i dont want to be killed all day.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

I only had a couple major complaints really and they aren't that big.

1)  Let me move chat window tabs off the chat window so I can have chat and damage up at the same time (If this was available I couldn't find where)

2)  When I change keybindings, update the UI to reflect those changes don't just remove the identifier from the hotkey, that might sound like something that shouldn't matter, but Its like I said my issues weren't too "big" to begin with.

3) For the love of god, let me place a ground target while using mouse look.  In other words, why can I not use my mouse look to zoom behind me, while holding it down hit my Glue Gun (Ground target AE snare) and pan the camera behind me and while STILL holding down the R Mouse, let me click the L Mouse and place.. it doesn't.  This could be fixed by someones earlier suggestion of letting me turn off camera snap.

4)  Que system for Spvp.  This one is the only thing that pissed me off bad.  Why in the hell are you going to put me in a game when I click "Play" instead of choosing a server, where one team has 1 guy against 5 and the score is 495 to 5.  Come on now, that is rediculous.  At that point the auto balancing should recognize any matches where the points are "un-recoverable" it won't add more to that game until the round ends.  I can't count on two hands how many times I was placed into games where I was in it for 10-30 seconds before it ended and then I get stuck on a team with 1 guy against those same 5 and it never auto balances more people to our team so I had to quit out.  I would also like to see in the server browser the amount of players in each class type, I am tired of joining a game with 6 Rifle warriors and 2 thieves.  

#4 is the biggest issue to me by FAR. 

Final Input:

As someone who was not really interested in this game, the last BWE really got me excited, also, like someone else said if you are going to combine servers, they should have taken this time to test out max players in Wv3, and increased the amount allowed.  I also would like to see a week long open beta where they let anyone play.  I really think companies are shooting themselves in the foot with potential buyers like myself, who will never preorder a game with out a trial or open "stress" test to check it out first, I used to be able to but after being burned by mmo after mmo I don't anymore and I think they lose a lot of potential customers by only allowing random key events and preorders.  

I was forced to take this key by a buddy who wanted me to check it out, I told him it was a waste cause I had zero interest in playing it...   Glad he did because I enjoyed it a lot and preordered this sunday.  Hope others out there who were on the fence had friends with an extra key to push them to try it.

Also some valid criticisme that i fully agree with. Espescially the sPvP matchmaking system does not work, it needs a total reprogram.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

At least chess is free.

I play at the local YMCA...Where are you going with this? Do YOU have a point other than to try to troll me?

The YMCA had to buy that chess board and pieces. People actually pay memebership fees to help support the free things available at the YMCA. And my point with that last post was to point out how ridiculous your argument was. It was horrid.

The point that the poster you quoted was making is that both are buy to play and the point of playing chess is to have fun. Just like to many, perhaps you are excluded from this list, the point of playing GW2 or any game really, is to have fun. Many people do not require the stat advantage gear carrot to enjoy playing a game.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Firstly, I don't pvp, but my guess is based on the fact that GW2 uses an "auto deleveling" system for PVE zones which, I presume also applies to pvp too.  And so, I'm guessing that the following perhaps takes place:

Two players of the same class walk into a pvp battle (yes I know that sounds like the start of a joke):

Player A:  Level 80.  Has abilities A, B, C, D, E and F

Player B:  Level 20.  Has abiltities A, B, C

Let's assume that the battle takes place in a Level 20 area.   Thus Player A is auto-"de-leveled" to Level 20.  Their dps drops but they retain the range of abilities.

Thus, in theory, the "playing field" is somewhat balanced.  Player A just has a bit of an edge over Player B.  Because the "playing field" is somewhat level, players therefore have to rely on skill as well as abilities.

Of course, the moment Player A exits the battle and area, they are returned to their "normal" level.

Incidentally, this has nothing to do with the "cash shop". 

Disclaimer:  I'm only guessing the above is what occurs.  Hence why I asked the question earlier.

Firstly, I don't pvp, but GW2 uses an "auto deleveling" system for zones which I presume applies to pvp too.

And so, I'm guessing that the following perhaps takes place:

Two players of the same class walk into a pvp battle (yes I know that sounds like the start of a joke):

let's assume that the battle takes place in a Level 20 area.   Thus Player A is auto-"de-leveled" to Level 20.  Their dps drops but they retain the range of abilities.

Thus, in theory, the "playing field" is somewhat balanced.  Player A just has a bit of an edge over Player B.  Because the "playing field" is somewhat level, players therefore have to rely on skill as well as abilities.

Of course, the moment Player A exits the battle and area, they are returned to their "normal" level.

Disclaimer:  I'm only guessing the above is what occurs.  Hence why I asked the question earlier.

Everyone is level UP to 80 in WvW.

Edit: I think I need to be more detailed. Everyone is leveld up, but you keep the same skills as if you were a level 20 in your example. Your stats increase based on the quality of your stats at your level. You will be at a disadvantage, but you will likely still be seviceable.

Firstly, I don't pvp, but GW2 uses an "auto deleveling" system for zones which I presume applies to pvp too.

And so, I'm guessing that the following perhaps takes place:

let's assume that the battle takes place in a Level 20 area.   Thus Player A is auto-"de-leveled" to Level 20.  Their dps drops but they retain the range of abilities.

Everyone is level UP to 80 in WvW.

Edit: I think I need to be more detailed. Everyone is leveld up, but you keep the same skills as if you were a level 20 in your example. Your stats increase based on the quality of your stats at your level. You will be at a disadvantage, but you will likely still be seviceable.

Yeah, I just checked on the wiki after posting, thanks for the correction.  

However, it would appear that my point still applies:   Those closer to level 80 therefore have more "utilities"/abilities/traits etc at their disposal than those from lower levels:  hence the "point" of leveling up for PVP.

EDIT:  Yeah, your "edit" basically sums up what I was getting at in regards to "auto balancing" for pvp.  :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Isometrix

My list.

1. Optimization. The game does not run nearly as well as it should on high end machines. On that end, I'd like to see engine improvements. We're still running on DirectX 9c here, over 8 years old. Graphics are disappointing to me. They're stylized which is great, but lack detail.

2. Difficulty. It's way off. Some content is way too hard, with bosses that 1-shot you without giving a clear indication of where they're going to strike. A lot of other content is way too easy, presenting no challenge at all. In general, I found any event where there's more than 10 people to be a complete pushover.

3. Tutorials. You're never going to invite a new crowd of players the way the game starts now. MMO veterans will feel at home, someone who's never played one will be absolutely clueless.

Good point,

4. Dungeon Finder. Yet another game that launches without it. I cannot stress the necessity of this enough. People that hate it don't need to use it, but it's so fucking annoying to have to spam chat for hours.

5. Event Chains. Ties in to difficulty. How am I ever going to see our town get destroyed by centaurs unless we're losing on purpose? There's no sense of urgency here, anyone can fend off an invasion at this point. I remember RIFT fondly in this area. When a zone event started, there was crap coming from literally everywhere, and outposts were constantly overrun if you dared to try and defend it with less than 20 people. It was insanely fun, and despite having the game built around stuff like this, I have yet to experience something similar in Guild Wars. 

I think there should be a mechanisme that adds a randomness to the power of an event, making it so sometimes the baddies win.

Still the best MMO I played in years. Just some issues with it. An absolute delight to play after the steaming pile of crap that was SW:TOR.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

The YMCA had to buy that chess board and pieces. People actually pay memebership fees to help support the free things available at the YMCA. And my point with that last post was to point out how ridiculous your argument was. It was horrid.

The point that the poster you quoted was making is that both are buy to play and the point of playing chess is to have fun. Just like to many, perhaps you are excluded from this list, the point of playing GW2 or any game really, is to have fun. Many people do not require the stat advantage gear carrot to enjoy playing a game.

Really? Can someone ban this troll? Can i get a trolololol? Im not sure what rich state you live in, but where im from the YMCA receives donations...and chess/checkers/cribbage..tons of other stuff are donated. I dont play chess to have "fun" I play to dominate with superior skillz

That is what I call fun. Dominating with superior skils. Not dominating with superior gear.

For your reading pleasure, my own YMCA:

http://www.valleyymca.org/membership.cfm

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

At least chess is free.

Really? Can someone ban this troll? Can i get a trolololol? Im not sure what rich state you live in, but where im from the YMCA receives donations...and chess/checkers/cribbage..tons of other stuff are donated. I dont play chess to have "fun" I play to dominate with superior skillz

Even if you have no money at all, you could just make a "chessboard" with a piece of paper and a pencil, and then make the pieces with pieces of paper folded into a wedge with letters written on them.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

Even if you have no money at all, you could just make a "chessboard" with a piece of paper and a pencil, and then make the pieces with pieces of paper folded into a wedge with letters written on them.

Yeah, that's true. You could also go to a friends house and play GW2 for free.

You could play GW2 for free..and get dominated by the cash shop players UNTIL you hit real 80..(apparently)

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i feel like most of the issues you outlined should be fixed by release. a dungeon finder chat section would be nice, i have to say though. and while i did have trouble playing as a mesmer, i feel like my problems were due to my lack of skill than the mesmer's lack of power. i'm really excited to get to know the class. and, as other people have been saying, the ele sorta wrecked shop.

all in all though it's nice to see a civil discussion on gw2's issues.

You could play GW2 for free..and get dominated by the cash shop players UNTIL you hit real 80..(apparently)

Wow, talk about only looking at an extreme viewpoint....

I think you need to better understand the concept of auto-leveling systems in MMO's before jumping to such conclusions.

Also, I'm assuming you like pvp in MMO's yes?   If so, can I ask how you dealt with pvp in games that didn't actually have auto-balancing systems?  Did you find those matches balanced? 

If not, don't you think it would be cool if ALL players that entered into the battle were auto-scaled to be the same level (and thus same "potency")?

To quote the wiki: 

"WvW will be accessible to characters immediately after the tutorial instance and players joining WvW will have their level and attributes dynamically adjusted to level 80."

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Is this real? a thread with actual valid criticisms from someone who has played the game?

I think ima cry a little bit out of joy.

I agree with you to a point there.

Given that both players are moving through content at the same pace, players that use the xp bonus for killing monsters 100% of the time will have a level advantage over players that use the xp boost 0% of the time in WvW. We don't know exactly how much of a level difference ther would be at this point. Perhaps 5 levels.

So given that, I agree that there will be an advanage for a short while for those that pay in WvW. Given a few more days, it would even out and be back to normal though and that is why I feel like it's not a big deal. Also, I think it will be extremely rare for someone to have an xp buff up 100% of the time.

Edit: I should also add that being a level 75 compared to a level 80 is likely not a big enough difference to even matter as the 75 does get stats scaled and has opened up every skill.

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

as to the difficulty of events issue I think alot of that had to do with the sheer number of people in the newbie area at that time.

was hilarious wandering the asuran area an npc ran up to me telling me he needs help the inquest released a giant shark experiment thingy. I being the heroic person I am leaped off a cliff into the lake.....

only to see an uncountable number of asurans trying to devour the shark....seriously hundreds of the little buggers.

so honsetly for the first week or so of the games release it'll be a piece of cake, but once the newbie areas become somewhat more depopulated then the difficulty will ramp up.

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

I am in total agreement with the OP in regards to WvW ques and a LFT GUI.

WvW - Ques and Lobby Sorta.  If Arenanet does not fix this, it will be a deal breaker for most game consumers.  It was very buggy as well.  Often the loading screens would switch several times over a 3 minute period.  It is very poor game design to give the user zero feedback as to their progress in the que.  It should give you some data based feedback.  Other games have been running MMO PVP playfields with hundreds of players for years.  This needs to be a smooth, wait free experience. No excuses.  

Looking for Team GUI - I had to laff at the counter attack that these 'destroy communities.'  It is pretty hard to cooperate if most of the population is spead out over the different races leveling areas, instances, and the PVP zones.  If you don't come into the game knowing someone, it is very hard to find others.  This is partly due to the instant waypoint meeping.  Several guilds coordinate in guild chat and show up for DEs or known DE trigger spots, and if your a new friendless player, you luck out if this zerg hits the DE near you.  The problem is when it is over, you can't follow this group because they simply 'meep' out to waypoints so fast you never have a chance to ask for an invite.  The only thing Arenanet has in this area is the dialog where you can open yourself up to blind guild invites, which just gets you spammed by every vanity 3 member guild created in the last 60 seconds.  I never respond to blind invites period.  What this game needs is a GUI to allow people who need to do xyz instance or simply level in group, to be able to meet up. 

Given that both players are moving through content at the same pace, players that use the xp bonus for killing monsters 100% of the time will have a level advantage over players that use the xp boost 0% of the time in WvW. We don't know exactly how much of a level difference ther would be at this point. Perhaps 5 levels.

So given that, I agree that there will be an advanage for a short while for those that pay in WvW. Given a few more days, it would even out and be back to normal though and that is why I feel like it's not a big deal. Also, I think it will be extremely rare for someone to have an xp buff up 100% of the time.

erm.....one of us is completely misunderstanding the situation.  Maybe it's me, I'm not sure. 

But from what I understand WvW players are all "buffed" to level 80. 

Therefore the only advantage in WvW that one player would have over another IF the first was using the cash shop "buffs" is that they will get their additional abilities quicker than someone who doesn't. 

Thus whilst their "range" of abilities would greater, the potency (dps) of those abilities is no different to a player who hasn't used the cash shop buffs.

Player A:   level 80 (actual level) may have abilities:  A, B, C, D and E

Player B: actual level 20, may only have abilitites A, B and C.

In both cases abilities A, B and C are the same in dps.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

wow  the whine o meter hits the roof already .get over yourselfes  be patient...else go through the trouble create a company and make  ya own games...if you all know what needs to be done .some of you ppl are tiresome , annoying pessimists .

Not good enough ? D-O-N-T  play  its  that easy.

jumping in here making lotsa mimimi wont change notin.

edit:::  constructive criticism  =put ya head into a companies rear

they invented that to make censor easier

erm.....one of us is completely misunderstanding the situation.  WvW players are all "buffed" to level 80.  Therefore the only advantage in WvW that one player would have over another when using the cash shop "buffs" is that they will get their additional abilities quicker than someone who doesn't.  Thus their "range" of abilities is greater, NOT the potency of them.

Right, I actually edited my post to add what you are describing. You understand it fine. But I will say this.

Even with the buffs up to 80ish stats, if you are 20, you will likely be a lot weaker than an 80 in top gear. The potency will likely not be as strong. Some people have been throwing out 10 or 15% weaker, but I don't think anyone really knows yet how large the disparity will be.