Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constructive criticism, what should be improved,

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

First of, this allready is the best MMO released since WoW for me and many likeminded people.  But even the best MMO is far from perfect. 

I will start this post, with the things i think (my opinion) should be improved either before or after Release. I would like you to add your own opinions.  Try to keep the mannifesto in mind with these improvements, so it doesnt turn intoo a whole different game after our changes. And add your own opinions to the thread instead of shooting other for their opinions. After all everyone is entitled to their own opinion. right?

1. Ballancing,

Class ballance espescially in low level PvE is way off, an Elementalis doing half the DPS of a ranger while being so much squishier.   In PvE it hurts a lot that Magic damage has been nerfed all over the place, while Bowdamage and Mellee damage stays where it used to be. Currently classes like Mesmer, Rogue and Elementalist dont do any good DPS at lower level PvE while being much squishier then the Mellee based classes that have much more solo survivabillity  while doing better DPS. Arenanet has stated they can ballance DPS seperately for PvE and PvP, yet obviously they havent used this tool to much(not at all) BWE3 felt way more unballanced then BWE1.

2. Graphics performance.

The performance and the hardware support of the different systems is all over the place. Still the engine is relying to much on CPU and not enough on the latest GPU´s. Al lot of optimisation together with AMD and Nvidia needs to be done. 

3. Pixels Textures and such

In the 2 new starter zones it was obvious to me that the textures of the ground and such where way less detailed then in for example the human starterzone. On top of that they could have added a lot more feeling to these zones by adding more grasses and plants on the ground. even despite the fact that the Sylvari zone felt awesome, it could even have been better with more detailed rock and ground textures.

In general it would not hurt the game if they finally added the prommised very high graphics settings. espescially if they could do this without disimproving the lowest settings. 

On the other hand people should realise they should make their final settings based on their performance during Major mass events, and not based on their performance in an empty zone.

4. Quest bugs

Espescially in the 2 new zones there where more quest bugs then in the oldeer zones, obviously because they have been added later and havent been tested as toroughly. Personally i had 4 or 5 quest/event bugs this BWE while i only had 1 in the previous BWE.  1 was really bad as it obstructed me from finishing my Sylvari personal story.

5. WvWvW Queues

This patch they doubled the max population of the different servers, however they could not raise the population of the WvWvW zones, resulting in very very long queues on probably all servers. As obviously the WvWvW populations are maxed out, this could become a major point of citcisme, espescially since dropover servers dont work for WvWvW. This will probably be the hardest part for Arenanet to solve, dont be surprised if on average people want to spend 50% of their playtime in WvWvW. People will get sad if they get home late and find their WvWvW servers filled up. I dont see any short time solutions for this, long term solution could be adding more mass PvP options, but thats not an easy task.  I predict this to be the major criticism and whining thing in like 3 months after release.

6. SPvP diversity

There is only one structured PvP system. Conquering the 3 strategic points on a map. Sure there a allready 4 different maps, but only with minor differences. With all the diversity thats possible in these maps, More very different types becomming a demand by the player base is just a matter of time, Anet shoudl be prepaired for this. 

7. Personal Story.

Once the personal story is finished, people will want to have more stories to engage. Sure you can help others and live their personal stories with them, but people will want to have more of their own stories to live/read/adventure.  I somehow hope that after my personal story ends, there will be new stories for me available to engage. But...  most current personal stories are very generic in nature (epic fantasy) and i think newer stories should add more darkness and unexpected plots to the world. I hope that higher level stories can make my choices really really matter.  There is a lot of room for improvement in future story mode.

8. Low level is to easy

Currently doing low level soloing and events it feels like they tweaked it to far down, and people are facerolling events in low level zones. On top of that they are soloing vetteran mobs of equall or higher level much to easy. maybe we(early players) have become so much better, but i doubt that is the reason. I can imagine it will be okay for first time player if it is so easy, but people will visit the low level zones many many more times, and then there is just not enough challenge. 

On top of easy mode being to easy, if at later levels the game becomes harder the players used to easy mode in low level zone will start whining its to hard, and finally the whole game will get easy mode just like to many other MMO´s have proven in the past. There should be a ballance between easy mode and challenging, currently in the lower level zones  the ballance has traveled to far to easy mode.

9. Dungeon finder tool

I think any game that is mostly build around soloing (Or as GW2 does Cooping) should have a dungeon finder for easy PUG forming. Espescially when you read the mannifest GW2 should have such a thing to take away the annoyance of LFG shouts for 40 minutes or more. (Yes i prefer Guildgroups too)  

10. Worldwide server events

So far they have been rather fun and diverse, but they where also very buggy. Having these things on a regular interval will be awesome if they can finetune reliabillity much much further.

(I can think of some more criticisme, but i will leave that for later further down the thread)  

EDIT;  Some major issues i forgot about

11. AoE targetting

Frankly it does not work for me, espescially when targetting uphill.  It obviously has to do with cammera movement, but it is really really bad and needs to be improved before release. 

12. Particle effects

In mass events the particle events most of the time block my view entirely. With a game that requires me reacting to the mobs actions this is unwanted, unless its something thats meant to work like the fog of battle.  They need to tone these down and make these effects more transparrant. Its a big irritator for me.

13. PvE mobs getting out of AoE spells

Last BWE the mobs allways kept standing in the middle of AoE. Now they allways move out,  Sometimes working like an AoE fear. This is just very very bad Ai. I can imagine cartain type of mobs trying to get out of AoE, but not all of them in every situation making AoE almost totally useless in solo PvE

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

1) Isn't this how most games are? Certain classes will be stronger throughout different phases/aspects of the game. Some will shine more than others. I personally played a Thief, Necromancer and Elementalist. I had a blast on all 3, regardless of whatever nerfs came through for magic. Both of my casters destroyed the damage of my Thief.

2) I didn't notice any signficant issues with my system setup.

3) Didn't notice too many issues with my system setup here either.

4) It's expected, no one has tested out the bugs in these zones yet aside from ArenaNET QA team. The whole reason for this beta was to do just that :P

5) I didn't quite understand that the queue system. I would join one of the WvWvW's, and it would put me into the zone; then tell me that I was placed in queue for that zone. Later, in the middle of a battle; it would state that the queue popped and I can enter the zone. Was I not doing any WvWvW? O_o

6) Didn't participate in this

7) I agree with this, story additions will be nice later.

8) This is why they have the surveys at the end of every event you do. 

9) This is where you lost me, why on earth do people want to ruin their MMOs with Dungeon Finders =(. Please keep these out of games. Go enjoy the amazing world that the Game Designers created for you. 

10) I didn't notice any of these events. 

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Very nice list. I agree in a lot of spots. Still love the game though :D

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

2. Graphics performance.

The performance and the hardware support of the different systems is all over the place. Still the engine is relying to much on CPU and not enough on the latest GPU´s. Al lot of optimisation together with AMD and Nvidia needs to be done. 

I really witnessed this with my brothers computer too. He has decent hardware and he had to run it on the very lowest settings AND IT STILL LAGGED. I felt bad for him lol. I got him to update his drivers and it didnt help either. Poor guy lol

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

First of, this allready is the best MMO released since WoW for me and many likeminded people.  But even the best MMO is far from perfect. 

I will start this post, with the things i think (my opinion) should be improved either before or after Release. I would like you to add your own opinions.  Try to keep the mannifesto in mind with these improvements, so it doesnt turn intoo a whole different game after our changes. And add your own opinions to the thread instead of shooting other for their opinions. After all everyone is entitled to their own opinion. right?

1. Ballancing,

Class ballance espescially in low level PvE is way off, an Elementalis doing half the DPS of a ranger while being so much squishier.   In PvE it hurts a lot that Magic damage has been nerfed all over the place, while Bowdamage and Mellee damage stays where it used to be. Currently classes like Mesmer, Rogue and Elementalist dont do any good DPS at lower level PvE while being much squishier then the Mellee based classes that have much more solo survivabillity  while doing better DPS. Arenanet has stated they can ballance DPS seperately for PvE and PvP, yet obviously they havent used this tool to much(not at all) BWE3 felt way more unballanced then BWE1.

2. Graphics performance.

In the 2 new starter zones it was obvious to me that the textures of the ground and such where way less detailed then in for example the human starterzone. On top of that they could have added a lot more feeling to these zones by adding more grasses and plants on the ground. even despite the fact that the Sylvari zone felt awesome, it could even have been better with more detailed rock and ground textures.

In general it would not hurt the game if they finally added the prommised very high graphics settings. espescially if they could do this without disimproving the lowest settings. 

On the other hand people should realise they should make their final settings based on their performance during Major mass events, and not based on their performance in an empty zone.

4. Quest bugs

Espescially in the 2 new zones there where more quest bugs then in the oldeer zones, obviously because they have been added later and havent been tested as toroughly. Personally i had 4 or 5 quest/event bugs this BWE while i only had 1 in the previous BWE.  1 was really bad as it obstructed me from finishing my Sylvari personal story.

7. Personal Story.

Once the personal story is finished, people will want to have more stories to engage. Sure you can help others and live their personal stories with them, but people will want to have more of their own stories to live/read/adventure.  I somehow hope that after my personal story ends, there will be new stories for me available to engage. But...  most current personal stories are very generic in nature (epic fantasy) and i think newer stories should add more darkness and unexpected plots to the world. I hope that higher level stories can make my choices really really matter.  There is a lot of room for improvement in future story mode.

8. Low level is to easy

Currently doing low level soloing and events it feels like they tweaked it to far down, and people are facerolling events in low level zones. On top of that they are soloing vetteran mobs of equall or higher level much to easy. maybe we(early players) have become so much better, but i doubt that is the reason. I can imagine it will be okay for first time player if it is so easy, but people will visit the low level zones many many more times, and then there is just not enough challenge. 

On top of easy mode being to easy, if at later levels the game becomes harder the players used to easy mode in low level zone will start whining its to hard, and finally the whole game will get easy mode just like to many other MMO´s have proven in the past. There should be a ballance between easy mode and challenging, currently in the lower level zones  the ballance has traveled to far to easy mode.

Let's see....

1) Really? I got a Ele to 10 BWE 3...first time playing one actually. Had no problems.Didn't feel overly squishy or that my dps sucked. What weapons were you using? Maybe it's only certain ones?

2) Seems to be a YMMV thing. I noticed no graphics issues, there were some network performance problems (rubberbanding, couple disconnects), mostly when there were large groups of people.

3) I'm one of those people that doens't stare at every pixel to make sure everything is perfectly smooth or whatever, but I thought the new zones were pretty. Metrica in particular was nice.

4) Sadly I might agree. Ran across several broke DEs in Metrica, and one in Caledon.

5) I wouldn't expect the overall tone of PS quests to change much. You're never going to stab someone's sweet grnadmother in order to save your girlfriend or whatever. However Anet has stated each race has multi-branching PS content up to 80. If you just play through for a fun, lighthearted story and osme nice rewards, they're pretty good. If you're expecting Bioware (ME# endings notwitstanding thank you) level storytelling, it's not going to be. the writers have a very clear tone, and it's Steampunk High fantasy, with an occasional quirk.

8) I DID notice that Veterans seemed a bit easier, but I wasn't sure. I was playing Guardian mostly, and they kinda make everything feel easier low level.h

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Chase187666

Very nice list. I agree in a lot of spots. Still love the game though :D

As do i mate, as do i..

But espescially us fanbois with our indepth knowledge of the systems should have constructive criticisme.. in the end only by telling Arenanet about it, the game will get better.

Tough i am pretty much sure, that Arenanet realises where their weak spots are and will continue to improve them. No MMO however will ever be perfect.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

9. Dungeon finder tool

I think any game that is mostly build around soloing (Or as GW2 does Cooping) should have a dungeon finder for easy PUG forming. Espescially when you read the mannifest GW2 should have such a thing to take away the annoyance of LFG shouts for 40 minutes or more. (Yes i prefer Guildgroups too)  

Cool list and all ...... but really ... why this -_-

I REALLY! hope Anet sticks to their words and not put a dungeon tool in. I'll take 30min city spams over a dungeon finder any day!

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

9. Dungeon finder tool

Cool list and all ...... but really ... why this -_-

I REALLY! hope Anet sticks to their words and not put a dungeon tool in. I'll take 30min city spams over a dungeon finder any day!

Well, thats your opinion. i prefer a dungeonfinder?  Does that make my opinion less valid? No it does not.

but to be exact they said there wont be a dungeonfinder tool " at release "  because it would be a vital thing for the community to find groups through chat.   

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259

Well, to be honest I hate all PVE system in game. Its one of the worst systems ever, of course for me. I feel like going from heart to heart where I have to mostly defend something against hordes of "XXX" creatures or vise versa - attack hordes of "XXX" creatures. Yeah, dynamic events, oh God, how boring it is. People complain about quests "kill x pigs etc." but killing hordes of various creatures is fine? I think its not...and what more its all so chaotic but soooo much. How can I enjoy event where I defend something with 30 players against hordes of creatures? It seems like light show performence with clicking on few abilities and useless evade (in PVE of course).  Even dungeons with only 5 ppl seems chaotic. There is nothing to keep me go  ahead because I feel like I am not enough rewarded. Well, did I mention how boring PVE is? Yeah, even crap like Dragonica I enjoyed longer time than GW 2. 

PVP is fine but personally If I want really PVP I am gonna play MOBAs - Dota 2, LoL or now I quite enjoy playing SMITE. Where are gold Ultima times or vanilla WoW I really enjoyed. Now it seems I will try Vanguard after going F2P and I hope It ll bring new ppl to the game:)

I am pretty sure 99% of you wont agree with my opinion on PVE in GW 2 but from my view I cant understand what is so great on GW 2. Calling it the best MMORPG ever, oh please...

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

1. Ballancing,

Played an elementalist to lvl 15(unlocked all weapons) and didn't have the same experience. He was a beast.

2. Graphics performance.

Can't really comment. It was playing fine for me... Don't see how it could really be improved.

Can't comment. I found the zones pretty complete. Normally anomolies or lack of detail is jarring. Nothing jarred me there.

4. Quest bugs

I ran into one bug, the thorn wolf scariel skill challenge. I posted the bug, and provided steps to reproduce. They should be fixing it. The problem with most of them is that they are very intermittent, and most people who trigger the bug do not report it or do not report the proper information. I actually saw someone bug the skill challenge, then complain about it, and refused to report it.

5. WvWvW Queues

I didn't Wv3 this weekend, so I can't comment. Closest I came was going to heart of the mists to test some stuff.

6. SPvP diversity

They've already announced that there will be more types eventually... Most likely before people get bored with the initial offering.

7. Personal Story.

Could be nice. I wouldn't complain, but won't make or break the game for me.

8. Low level is to easy

Yes. I can see that it might be done on purpose and might ramp up as people get used to their characters. I know I found the lvl 10 content more challenging than the lvl 5, and the lvl 15 more challenging than the lvl 10...

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

On the lag issue, games in beta always see a FPS increase at release because of 2 factors. Graphics optimization and elimination of  metrics code running on the servers to give the developers feedback

I miss DAoC

• LouieTuesdayLouieTuesday Member Posts: 22

What should be improved...how about having a point to the game?

Gear and stats and all that scale in W v W.........so yea log in and youre done. I really enjoy taking my time and sinking 50 hours into a game before i even get max level. I cant do that in this game..I just dont get it. If an actual level 80 is going to struggle to kill an actual level 17..whats the point of going to 80? Everythings practically even. 15% bonus MAYBE for the 80 for being a real 80..

The truth about Guild Wars 2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Camera, camera, camera. I have other minor complaints, but I thought they were going to have this under control this time around. This is all preference, but it does get annoying at time to feel like you don't have enough control over the camera.

1. Needs to zoom out farther for me to feel comfortatable. Just needs a slider where yo can adjust the max distance and they need to make the highest distance much farther back for me.

2. There is some kind of mouse smoothing effect at the end of a turn. I tried on lowest setting where I was getting 80+ framerate and there is, without a doubt, some kind of smoothing effect going on. It makes the camera feel more sloppy than it needs to. An option to turn it off is all I want.

3. I would prefer not to have the snap-back effect after letting go of left mouse button. Just an option to turn it off.

Originally posted by LouieTuesday

Gear and stats and all that scale in W v W.........so yea log in and youre done. I really enjoy taking my time and sinking 50 hours into a game before i even get max level. I cant do that in this game..I just dont get it. If an actual level 80 is going to struggle to kill an actual level 17..whats the point of going to 80? Everythings practically even. 15% bonus MAYBE for the 80 for being a real 80..

Can you please tell me what is the point of playing agame of chess?

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

That is a choice, you CAN still do it but you CHOOSE not to.  Big Difference is in other games you are FORCED if you don't want to pve to max level to pvp in this game you aren't you can do it either way.

plus you might be auto leveled to 80 by stats but not by skill unlocks, gear or bonuses (for Wv3) in structured pvp and tournaments you have all the same choices for gear as the people you are playing against sure, but in Wv3 the abilities unlocked at max level, the gear increase will give you better stats and tactical choices then an Enemy who is auto leveled to 80 with level 15 locked skills.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that GW2 is a bit like SWTOR in when it comes to "auto level balancing" for pvp i.e. players levels are auto changed to "level the playing field" but the players still retain whatever abilities they have gained up until that point, albeit scaled appropriate for the pvp battle.

Therefore, in theory, a player of a particular level in pvp will have more abilities/traits/utilties at their disposal than another player at a lower level (giving them a bit of an "edge").  Hence the "point" still remains in playing the game:  i.e. level up and gain abilities that (in theory) should be useful in pvp matches.  

Is that not the case with GW2? 

Almost forgot the most important one 

11. AoE targetting

Frankly it does not work for me, espescially when targetting uphill.  It obviously has to do with cammera movement, but it is really really bad and needs to be improved before release. 

At least chess is free.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Personal story in GW2 just equates to campaign mode in GW1, but with decision making. Otherwise, it's the same, so expect to see it grow through expansions and stuff. In fact, that's sort of a given, since this personal story culminates in a battle with Zhaitan and he's only one of several dragons that need to die.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Gear does make you do more DPS also gives you way more health. Hitting 25 makes you see the change once you get a full set of MC gear. My weapon damage before switching to a new set was 500+ after was 816. My health went from 16k to 19k as a ranger.

I had no issues rolling over 2 or 3 low levels solo at one point me and a guardian wiped out around 10 people both of us in the mid 30's level range.

Swift shot before 25 was around 1.9k max after I was hitting 3.5k.

At least chess is free.

Great argument, espescially if you want people to take you serious

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

At least chess is free.

No it's not. My chess set cost $250.

A childs chess set even costs $10.

Originally posted by Tarka

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that GW2 is a bit like SWTOR in when it comes to "auto level balancing" for pvp i.e. players levels are auto changed to "level the playing field" but the players still retain whatever abilities they have gained up until that point, albeit scaled appropriate for the pvp battle.

Therefore, in theory, a player of a particular level in pvp will have more abilities/traits/utilties at their disposal than another player at a lower level (giving them a bit of an "edge").  Hence the "point" still remains in playing the game:  i.e. level up and gain abilities that (in theory) should be useful in pvp matches.  

Is that not the case with GW2? 

Maybe im confused? Everyone is saying were always on a level playing field and that this game is skill based.  If what you are saying is true, then im going to get stomped early on by people who use the cash shop to get 80 first? Now i dont even want to buy to try

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115

I LOVE THIS GAME

That being said I agreed with you..mostly.

I hope that at least with boxed expansions they continue your personnal storeytake you into a new story but remember some of your decisions.

I found the performance to be pretty good overwhile, but I have a killer rig. could use some optimization surely.

but one thing dude

NO DUNGEON FINDER

Cheers

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Personally speaking, I didn't experience many of the issues/niggles that the OP experienced.

I will say this though, I think the game could benefit from:

1)  Land and water based mounts.  Yes, there's teleport points, but the distance between them is quite large.  The cities are massive too.  So I think there's room to allow for mounts without trivialising land / water based progression through the gameworld too much.  Perhaps the mounts would allow a maximum of 30% extra speed over running on foot, and players would not be able to use mounts during combat and could be dismounted by anything that is within 5 levels of the player or higher (e.g. a player at level 20 can be dismounted by a level 15 mob, but not a level 14)

2)  Housing areas outside of the cities which could be established by individuals and even guilds.   The world certain seems large enough to have housing areas.  So essentially the housing concept would be like the housing in Anarchy Online:  Can be set up in specific areas and the interiors are instanced.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

1) This is all your opinion. I thought my Elementalist was doing ridiculous damage from level 1-10. A lot of this depends on your gear. Is the class you think is "more powerful" using a level specific weapon rather than something that is much lower on another? I found if you stay geared up, you stay powerful and crushing most content with ease.

2) Performance seemed better to me, and I am sure will be improved with time.

3) I didn't really notice this, but maybe? I thought the new zones looked great.

4) I didn't encounter literally any quest bugs. I only played the new zones until 10-14ish, and missed some stuff here and there ... but overall, it was all working 100% perfectly. I encountered 2 skill challenges that were bugged in past betas, but this most recent beta? No quest bugs. I also didn't progress much of my personal story as I don't want to spoil it all for release.

5) This is probably the only thing I can really agree with. The WvW queues were pretty damn long on my server. Sometimes 1-2 hours long. This will most likely be the number one criticism. The larger issues I had with WvW were the lag I experienced a couple nights. 3-5 secon delays on skills is not going to hack it ;)

6) I would like to see some more SPvP variety, but this will mostly likely come in mini-games. SPvP is more eSports focused, so unless they decide they want something other than capture and hold, that his probably all we are going to get. The Keg Brawl was a total blast if you want PvP diversity though.

7) I don't see how you can criticize this. Content is going to run out at some point ... and we have zero clue how long or in depth the stories are going to go. Are you really asking for infinite stories to go through? Just roll an alternate character.

8) This is the other thing I agree with, and to some extent, I agree with in the game in general. Many things seem too easy. I think the level scaling needs to be worked on more than anything. I am sure there will be more challenging stuff later, and there was definitely some challenging stuff in the beta that I played. But most of the time, it felt rather easy.

9) Ummm, no thanks. Dungeon Finders are stupid and ruin communities. This is a game you play with friends and you don't need a healer/tank/DPS. Just round of a few people from your guild or friend's list and do it. If you need a tool to simply ask 4 people to join you for a dungeon run (where their class doesn't matter), you shouldn't be playing MMO's.

10) I can't believe you can rip the world events at all. Sure, they may be a little glitchy and what not, but they both worked fine. The one last night was a total blast and very well done. If they keep stuff like this going every week/month, it will be so much fun and something people can do as a break from the "normal".