Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

already a thread on this

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/357745/page/1

EA blames us and to some extent they're right to. but it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Its not BioWare.. it's EA. Bioware is just a name.. EA runs the show now. They didn't spend 700 million not to.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

pfff, they should have taken jedi knights as engine not tokor.

nuff said ^^

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

No way!......yea like the article said, we knew it was coming,

They would have saved a shit ton of money and made a shit ton more money, not to mention prolly have one of the most succesful MMOs of this decade had they just bought the original SWG rights, reskinned it with batter graphics, and released it.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

EA all I got to say to ya's is "Oh well"

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

They blame the fans by listening to em while they ignored criticism feedback and their moderators locked/deleted threads on the official forums of anything that showed the game in any serious negative light?  Fans fault for realz....

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

There is no bioware only EA..and blaming the players is something EA do alot.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Dalgor

They would have saved a shit ton of money and made a shit ton more money, not to mention prolly have one of the most succesful MMOs of this decade had they just bought the original SWG rights, reskinned it with batter graphics, and released it.

People seem to forget that the original SWG was not a super success, in terms of sub numbers and sub numbers are all anyone cares about regarding a games success.

And anyway, that ship has sailed, and I still get a chuckle out of it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

how can you even be serious about what you just stated? Star wars galaxies was massively losing subs within a couple of months of release which is exactly why they continued to change combat every patch and how armor worked until they finally created the NGE. Some of you guys that were never there just love spewing off some fake hayday where SWG was some golden halo of a game that was perfect and so grand when it never from day 1 was. Seriously are you guys that disillusioned that you really believe these things in your mind? I was there from day one in SWG , I bought it and still have the discs from the orginal date of purchase years ago at waldon software and EBgames.

This game failed because it was poorly designed to a one trick pony and why bioware continues to blame everyone else under the sun instead of accepting responability for their own demise. SWG design was fundamentally flawed from release on out and so many fans leaving over the NGE and CU was a myth there wasnt that many fans left to begin with. Bioware made a clone of a game using all major mechanics from wow style pvp and skill sets to KOTOR 1 storyline, thats why it failed. Making a sandbox out of it is not going to fix it nor would it be so great from the start. You can look at all the current great sandboxes now out here and see how well they do when you have no rails at all . This game lacked star wars feeling and did nothing to promote star wars other then the quick storyline quests and graphics of a light saber. Space combat was completely pointless and once you hit the end of the storyline and journey they couldnt get content out fast enough to even keep people interested in playing it. Also its not fun to run the same dungeons over and over in heroics mode yet all these games seem to think its a great endgame , Rift TSW im looking at you to!

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

It's a crappy game, how can they blame players?  I was posting on the youtube vids how the game is nothing but "Orcsssss innnnn Spaaaaaacccccce" 8 months before it came out.  And guess what? Azeroth now has lightsaber weilding elves!  This game is nothing but WoW with starfighters, is terribly executed, and the bad feedback is a surprise?  Did Bioware have absolutely no idea who the core audience is?  Really?  The real SW fans constantly argue about timeline and history and who is greater, and love dressing in costumes of their favorite characters, and have been doing(continously, with each generation) it since before most Bioware developers were even born, and Bioware thought they wouldn't pull the game apart at the seams if it sucked?  Really?

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by cronius77

how can you even be serious about what you just stated? Star wars galaxies was massively losing subs within a couple of months of release which is....

I stopped right there: you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

SWG was one of the few MMOs that actually gained subs for the first 6+ months. Most of the bad patches and failure to fix stuff was from that point on.

Feel free to go over and check at mmocharts.com or whatever it is.

Does nothing for your credibility to state something abjectly and verifyably false right at the begining of a rant.

Originally posted by Burntvet

how can you even be serious about what you just stated? Star wars galaxies was massively losing subs within a couple of months of release which is....

SWG was one of the few MMOs that actually gained subs for the first 6+ months. Most of the bad patches and failure to fix stuff was from that point on.

Does nothing for your credibility to state something abjectly and verifyably false right at the begining of a rant.

Wasn't it the "WoW" patch that pretty decimated (bit exagerrated but gets to the point) the game?

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

Oh how I would love to have my eighty dollars back.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

I can see TOR going F2P at some point, but that article is a complete farce. Just by reading the article and seeing the horrible grammar/vocabulary, it's easy to tell that article wasn't written by someone at Bioware. As bad as they may be, Bioware doesn't hire illiterate dropouts... The guy couldn't even put his thoughts into words properly. His use of grade school terms shows he's just a fan of mmos, someone who will never have the skills/intelligence to actually work in the video game industry.

Originally posted by AvsRock21

I can see TOR going F2P at some point, but that article is a complete farce. Just by reading the article and seeing the horrible grammar/vocabulary, it's easy to tell that article wasn't written by someone at Bioware. As bad as they may be, Bioware doesn't hire illiterate dropouts... The guy couldn't even put his thoughts into words properly. His use of grade school terms shows he's just a fan of mmos, someone who will never have the skills/intelligence to actually work in the video game industry.

Wasn't nothing quoted from the source though?  That any grammer discrepencies are all on the author and that the assumption of an BW illiterate dropout false?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

If they would have just left that darned orange pixel... I missed the guy at launch :-(

They screwed everything else up but they took away the friend that was the orange pixel.  He taught me how to live.  He taught me how to love :-P

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by musicmann

http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bi...Update-a173317

Well, typically when someone is pointing fingers they are trying to cover their backsides, did no one ever tell them that when you point your finger elsewhere there are three more pointing right back at ya? :)

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Wasn't it the "WoW" patch that pretty decimated (bit exagerrated but gets to the point) the game?

I would say its the design.  They made a single multi-player game and haven't kept the story going.  People are sitting on 4-8+ max'd out characters waiting for the promised rapid content updates.  There was never any depth and I believe they thought replayig the game a few times would tide people over for a year or more lol.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I for one would like to see the metrics that point at the majority of the fanbase pushing for a singleplayer game.

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Abdar

Its not BioWare.. it's EA. Bioware is just a name.. EA runs the show now. They didn't spend 700 million not to.

I'm not a huge EA fan but it was Bioware not EA that screwed up TOR. TOR was in development for a year and a half before EA aquired Bioware. Bioware Austin was autonomous and they reported directly to Bioware executives. EA also gave Bioware the largest budget in gaming history.

Face it...Bioware dropped the ball bigtime. They openly copied WoW calling it a 'touchstone' and it was 'stupid to move away from that model.' That was Bioware's direction prior to being aquired by EA.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, they wouldn´t had. There is a reason the original SWG maxed out at 450K players and then start to drop again fast even before the NGE, it was a fine game but that type does not attract so many players.

As I see it people actually want a multiplayer version of kOTOR but they don't want to pay a monthly fee for that. Most people are still willing to pay monthly fees for massive MMOs but not for anything else these days.

IF they wanted to make TOR the way it is they should have released it as B2P and not really have put so much money in VOs, that would have worked out fine. If Bioware and EA would have studied less massive games like DDO they would have seen this for themselves.

SWG was a sandbox and that just ain´t what BW does well, but they really should either have more multiplaying options or anoher payment model for the game anyways.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Prior to the NGE patch on Nov 15 2005, SOE had done a very poor job off fixing existing bugs in SWG and often patches unfixed previous fixes.

I was a player from launch, and more than any other factor, pre-NGE, SOE's failure to fix the broken stuff and finish unfinished game mechanics was the reason people got fed up and quit SWG.

People just wanted the game to work and some new content from time to time instead of endless attempts to balance 32 classes (because of people whining about the ever changing OP FOTM build) and pump out rushed Jedi character/skill updates, which is what SOE wasted time doing.

SWG, for all it's faults (and there were many) was something unique: it had an identity all it's own.

Now everything is a clone of this or a rip off of that.

But to answer your question, the NGE (WoW) patch was the bullet to the head that left SWG, for many years, on life support, though it had been managed very poorly prior to that.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

That "article" is a joke, regardless of your opinion on how successful TOR has been.  It had zero fact checking.  Forums only open for three months, really?  The forums were open for years before the game launched.  And the 500 million number is totally unsourced.  Add to that, the only "evidence" we have that there even is a source in BioWare for the article is the word of the article's author, who as I already pointed out, has shown himself to be someone who doesn't engage in any level of fact checking.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Geez, now we're up to 700 million? Is there no end to how high that made-up number will go?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by kobie173

Geez, now we're up to 700 million? Is there no end to how high that made-up number will go?

That was buying Bioware LOL not just making TOR and I think it was more than 700 mil wasn't it? Hell I forgot.

This discussion has been closed.