Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else avoiding GW2 because of the hype??

TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Just curious to see how many others aren't trying GW2 because of it being so overhyped??..... I don't know if it is really that good (doubt it), the flavor of the month MMO, or jsut a handful of fantaics for the game?....Last 2 games I saw hyped this much were AoC and WAR and neither of them was very good.

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

well, i'm a fan of Anet and GW so i bought the game b/c of that. and not b/c of the hype.

i agree with you, it worries me when folks get this worked up about an mmo.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AborAbor Member Posts: 59

You're probably in the minority. Most people like "hype" as it generates even more interest in the product. 

Moreover this reminds me of "does anyone dislike *insert band name here* because they sold out". 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Nah

I've seen enough video on the game I already know what to expect and don't have unrealistic expectations.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

You need to ignore the hype with all games and find out for yourself if you think a game is something you might like.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I have a dream that games will one day exist in a world where they will not be judged by the hype on the internet, but by the content of their character.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

It's not the hype.  It's what the hype brings with it that I don't care for.  It's all good.  When people wake up and realize they're playing a game and not living in a fantasy world, the hype will crash.  Not to say the game isn't good because it is.  It's just not to the level that the psychotic fanboys have worked it up to be.

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

Anet is a good gaming company that generally listens to the fans.

Add in their interest in trying new things and breaking molds to a degree.

And then add in the World vs World pvp.

The game has a lot of good things going for it. Majority of the time spent in the betas for me was in WvW defending our keeps from trebuchets and pouring oil down on people trying to build a ram :). It's fun. I'd buy the game just for the WvW.

Whether it's overhyped or not. If you actually try the game and play around on it for awhile you'll realize it's doing stuff that the majority of mmos right now aren't bothering with. And it's definitely refreshing.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Here's the thing, there's a big difference between hype and positive word of mouth.  One is unsubstantiated, the other is people letting others know of something they enjoyed, and wanting others to enjoy it as well.

To me, this is far more the second one than the first.

If we didn't have these open beta weekends, no NDA and a lack of info and people were still this 'hyped' then yeah, you can worry.  But when so many are obviously enjoying what they've experienced, you can feel good knowing that there's at least something to it - even if you don't end up enjoying it.  Just my view on it thought.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Just curious to see how many others aren't trying GW2 because of it being so overhyped??..... I don't know if it is really that good (doubt it), the flavor of the month MMO, or jsut a handful of fantaics for the game?....Last 2 games I saw hyped this much were AoC and WAR and neither of them was very good.

personally i have 3 reasons why i'll buy a game - without trying it

none of it is hype

1) I like the developer  ie. had fun experiences with their past games

2) I like the game features and world setting  - crap roll of the dice if I will like the game

3) I have friends that are playing the game   - as long as I dont *dislike* the game, thats an acceptable reason for me to buy a game

even if i never played the beta of GW2 i would have bought it because I'm an ANET fan

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Sorry OP... not really into the whole self-deprevation movement.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by PiratePete
    you'll realize it's doing stuff that the majority of mmos right now aren't bothering with. And it's definitely refreshing.

PQs from Warhammer and Rift.

Events from Rift.

WvW from Dark Age of Camelot.

Arenas from WoW.

That's what the game offers and it does it very well.  Many people just don't really care for the aforementioned.  Personally, I'm loving the WvW, but won't be playing it for PvE at all.  For me the PvE in the game is serviceable at best.  Some of the event bosses are cool though.  The Behemouth in the Swamp is one example of something that was a lot of fun.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Yes. Extreme hype and popularity always lead to aweful communities and being forced to play with individuals you'd want to head butt IRL (ie: WoW, LoL).

I might miss out on the best themepark MMO ever made but I'll live. Besides after I'm done with TSW I'm pretty sure I'll never touch another themepark MMO ever again, they're all fundamentally the same (combat combat combat, grind quests till max level, combat combat combat, grind instanced dungeons for gear, combat combat combat, grind instanced PvP for more gear, combat combat combat, quit for the next over hyped themepark POS).

I know GW2 does things a little differently but the fact remains that the community will be horrid and I'm not going through that torture again.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i am avoiding it for six months .after that i will give my verdict for it

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I would avoid the game if i didnt think it looked any good, just like i did with SWTOR and WAR. Hype? its a word.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

I prefer to have my own mind so I don't really care about hype this way or that. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think that you have unrealistic expectations of this game and should probably not play it until you have a chance to let your hype level calm down and simply play it for what it is. A really good game.

I would also like to suggest reading up on what a scale of 1 to 10 means, and the subjectivity that can be associated to it.

For example. 0 = does not exist, 1 = really really bad, 2 = really bad, 3 = bad, 4 = kinda bad, 5 = acceptable, 6 = kinda good, 7 = good, 8 = really good, 9 = really really good, 10 = perfect (does not exist)

So by using the scaling above, with GW2 being hyped on this site at a 8.7, that implies that the majority of people feel this game is somewhere between, really good, and really really good.  Now if you have a hard time beleiving that a developer can make a really really good game than you should probably move on and try a different hobby because you are holding alot of negativity for the industry.

Either that or just take your time out, let you're own expectations get back to a normal level, then decide.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Arenas from WoW.

Guild Wars had arenas before WOW did ...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Charas

Yes. Extreme hype and popularity always lead to aweful communities and being forced to play with individuals you'd want to head butt IRL (ie: WoW, LoL).

I might miss out on the best themepark MMO ever made but I'll live. Besides after I'm done with TSW I'm pretty sure I'll never touch another themepark MMO ever again, they're all fundamentally the same (combat combat combat, grind quests till max level, combat combat combat, grind instanced dungeons for gear, combat combat combat, grind instanced PvP for more gear, combat combat combat, quit for the next over hyped themepark POS).

I know GW2 does things a little differently but the fact remains that the community will be horrid and I'm not going through that torture again.

You can still find a group or guild though with like minded people. I'll agree with your sentiment about the community. Pretty apparent it is going to be bad but there will still be those that are above all that nonsense. I think it is a shame simply to write off a game because of the community. I get your reasoning but even in games that have been slandered as having a rotten community I always found folks to group or adventure with.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Oh noes.... hype!

Are you seriously going to pass on a video game because a few sites DEDICATED to the gene of game, and the people that go to said sites, are excited over it? 

PERSONALY if I was getting sick of the hype, I would just not go to those sites. I would rather have a fun game that I will be able to play on and off for years. I guess some people would perfer to go on MMO sites instead of playing. I would just find something better to do.

My guess is you are just mad that your game of choice isnt being talked about. That is the only reason I could see why people would whine about hype.  I can kinda understand if you are all excited about Archage, or The Repopulation, or even a TSW fan and you want to come onto sites about MMO and talk about it. I get it, you are upset that everyone is just going nuts over this GW2 game and not yours.  I am sorry.

Perhaps start a MMO site dedicated to JUST sandbox? The only other thing you could do is not go to the sites that talk about MMOs.  

Originally posted by eyelolled

So by using the scaling above, with GW2 being hyped on this site at a 8.7, that implies that the majority of people feel this game is somewhere between, really good, and really really good.  Now if you have a hard time beleiving that a developer can make a really really good game than you should probably move on and try a different hobby because you are holding alot of negativity for the industry.

Or people could be looking for an MMO for different things.  Overall PvE just isn't that good in GW2 for some people.  It comes off as hallow and uninspired.  The dynamic events really don't work for those that were hoping for a larger impact on things that they would care about.  It does scale significantly in later zones, but I think the earlier zones don't showcase that well. 

Their PvP is amazing. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Doesn't not buying a game because other people are excited about it seem kind of like a stupid hipster thing to do?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I'm waiting for a while probably until the box price drops and there are no more zergs everywhere on the PvE side but thats not because of the hype really as I don't buy into hype, learned that lesson a long time ago I didn't get into beta so I'm waiting.

But the hype surroundimng this game could be a problem as many people who are not really into this type of game will be attracted to it as the next big thing only to find out its not for them and come qq on the forums, sounds familiar though doesn't it?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I was a bit concerned with that, but after playing the BWEs, i think the game is what arenanet said it would be. I dont see a single thing that i could feel like i was fooled by them.

Maybe some will say it is just one hyped game, but i think that the ones who actually played it and didnt log with their mind already made to talk crap about it after, really enjoyed it. For me is the best mmo out there without doubts, but ofc some dont agree because its not their kind of mmo, others wont admit they were wrong when they said it was all hype, others just dont like any mmo so every single mmo out there will be bad for them lol.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Doesn't not buying a game because other people are excited about it seem kind of like a stupid hipster thing to do?

Someone get his man PBR !

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

For me it's not just the hype but also the setting, no more fantasy games for me.