Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: PTR Update 5.0.4 Brings Account-wide Achievements and More

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Last week, World of Warcraft's public test realm was updated to version 5.0.4, which brought with it account-wide achievement functionality, pet battles, AOE looting, a new world event, and more!

Account-wide Achievements, pets, and mounts

In Patch 5.0.4 and beyond, the majority of your character's Achievements, pets, and mounts will be shared with your other characters. Please read: Bringing Achievements to the Account Level, by Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street

World Event: Attack on Theramore Isle

Warchief Garrosh, obsessed with assuring the Horde’s supremacy over Kalimdor, launches an all-out attack against Jaina's island home of Theramore. Though valiant Alliance defenders rush to repel the sudden onslaught, they’ll soon find themselves unprepared for the terrible scope of Garrosh's true plans…

In the Public Test Realm, we will be testing this event at specified intervals. Keep an eye on our PTR Feedback forum for more details as they become available.

AOE Looting

Area of effect looting comes to World of Warcraft with this patch. After killing a group of enemies in close proximity, when you loot one of their corpses, the loot window will include items from all of the nearby corpses for which you have loot rights.

Head on over to the official World of Warcraft website for the full notes.

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Yeah ??? Some how I do believe this is WoW last leg they have to stand on. Or bearly standing for that matter.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Funny thing is....

My kids dont even like to play anymore.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

lol wow is all i can say about wow , how a great game during its time has turned into complete and utter trash of a dev crew. The last update they released with content was new heroics and dragon soul what 6 months ago? now the best they can do is account achievements and a stupid world event? What a seriously terrible dev team that even rivals warhammer for maintanance mode. Why in the hell do people continue to give these idiots their hard earned money and not get crap in return when there are tons of smaller companies out here that actually put peoples money to good use in development.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Isturi

Yeah ??? Some how I do believe this is WoW last leg they have to stand on. Or bearly standing for that matter.

Because you don't like WoW anymore it must surely be dying, right? Still over 10 million players, still dominating the MMO market. When WoW's population drops below other MMO's population numbers, then we can start talking about it dying.

Originally posted by newbinator

Because you don't like WoW anymore it must surely be dying, right? Still over 10 million players, still dominating the MMO market. When WoW's population drops below other MMO's population numbers, then we can start talking about it dying.

So far your in the minority on this subject on this thread.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

and you're in the minority when it comes to reality....

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Sad really sad. this game needs the old paint treatment.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I think this is great, thanks again blizzard, your the best.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ya, i don't like the game either, but i'm not in denial about certain things called 'numbers' and 'facts'.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I don't think wow is on it's last legs but it is in decline. A few months ago I would have been all over this as I played wow for a long time (6+ years now) but after playing the GW2 betas and TSW I see little point in continuing as I find both these games way more interesting and the latter doesn't have a sub.

Originally posted by Coolit

I don't think wow is on it's last legs but it is in decline. A few months ago I would have been all over this as I played wow for a long time (6+ years now) but after playing the GW2 betas and TSW I see little point in continuing as I find both these games way more interesting and the latter doesn't have a sub.

This basically is what I had in mind for my original post. Just wanted the first post so I wrote something fast. The MMO market is saturated now to the point were we cant even see a horizion anymore. Every publisher wants a piece of the MMO pie and were do the gamers go to these new MMO's Why from WoW of course.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I actually checked out the Pet Battle system last week, and well... it's kind of damn awesome.  Sure WoW isn't what it once was, but it's still a fun "game". That's in quotations, because that's really what it is more than a serious MMO. There was a time when I took WoW very seriously. Maybe it still is that way for some folks. But now, I see it as a fun world to step in and out of when I want to. Maybe that's just me.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's just... different these days.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

The mmorpg.com community is a tiny portion of the mmorpg playerbase as a whole. WoW still has 10 million subs, even if it lost half of that it would still be the most successful mmorpg on the market, so saying its on its last legs is extremely inaccurate.

• FarScapeFarScape Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by cronius77

lol wow is all i can say about wow , how a great game during its time has turned into complete and utter trash of a dev crew. The last update they released with content was new heroics and dragon soul what 6 months ago? now the best they can do is account achievements and a stupid world event? What a seriously terrible dev team that even rivals warhammer for maintanance mode. Why in the hell do people continue to give these idiots their hard earned money and not get crap in return when there are tons of smaller companies out here that actually put peoples money to good use in development.

I love how people post about how Developers are destroying games and what not. The sad thing is ITS NOT THERE FAULT! lets take blizzard for instance. Back in Vanilla wow before Blizzard was sold off and became a publicly owned company. They made AMAZING GAMES because the people that worked there were passionate about making games. Even the owner of blizzard.

now that Blizzard is owned by the same investors and is now Blizzard/Activision. They say what goes in games They say how games are to be played. why? because its all about the money. Do u think for 1 second that diablo3 was a big budget title. HELL NO! These investors told the Devs what to do to make money. I garentee that Diablo3 was suppose to be scrapped by the investors back in alpha. and Jay Wilson said hey look how about an Real money auction house. so the investers thought about the potential of making money with this idea and ran with it. Thats why the investors put more money into the RMAH then in diablo3 (hense why diablo3 sucks so much.) 

when u complain about the dev team. Just think. they just make the game they dont have any say in the game.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Yes!! As a still avid wow player, I am looking forward for this...

this game is still better them most New mmo on the market.. it's very simple to see what blizz is doing, since most of the wow dev have move over to the next mmo project, they are just trying to maintain the sub they have now, they already know that the game has peaked, now you just care for who is left playing..

So far in mists beta things are looking way better than cata did...

I have yet to see a game where after 6+yrs, the dev keep trying to re-invent there own game in trying to keep it fresh..

Also I must say this is one xpac, where the dev's have been more vocal on class balance and other stuff..

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ FarScape

I don't think that's entirely accurate.. Which ever dev that's out there that cares more about the product than the money is a fool, because at the end of the day you can deliver a great product and don't make back what put in.. when making the product you have to say does this have the potential to make us money.. Blizz is just lucky because the have a very loyal fan base and a good marketing staff to really spice up the release of there product..

You really think RMAH is making blizz alot of money, all they are doing is trying to get a cut of the black market that exists in D2 and most mmo (smart business move), other companies have similar stuff..

To blizz hardcore fans (not the come and go wannabes), there products are still awesome..

In these times dev's making games for love is Ludacris. Love and passion don't pay staff. So while the dev might want to develop a game a certain way because of his love for the series, they have to think money first, publicly traded or not..

There is a reason you see more sequel to successful titles than new IP's..
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i don't believe that 10 million players for a second..its a flat out lie.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Blizz stiil knows what its doing, if it were that easy to create a game with 10 million subs.... Hmmm what's the list of games look like with more than 5 million subs? More than 3 million paying subs? I think people can come on here and boohoo and complain about this and about that but at the end of the day, 10 million subs what can you say to that? Is your game that successful? Can you make one more successful? People let blizz know month in and month out, they like thier product, they tell them 10 million times over each month.
  • erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

If you honestly believe WoW has over 10 million players actively playing, then come closer..I have a nice bridge to sell you.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by cronius77

It was released in November of 2011.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

All characters now take 30% less damage from other players.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Guess it's almost panda time
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

People don't tend to be keen on investing eight years of there lives into a single game, just to quit.

That is why WoW still has the five million subs it has in NA, and the rest in the other territories. It isn't because the game has been evolving over time into a product that surpasses what it once was in terms of quality, not at all. Blizzard set the bar back on 04, and then somehow forgot how to even meet there own level of prior standards.

Logic, some people seem to have none.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I haven't seen anyone decide to try out WoW in over a year. All but a few players that I know have quit. The game is failing, and failing fast. Maybe the Asian market will keep it going but it is definately bleeding subs.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by laserit

Funny thing is....

My kids dont even like to play anymore.

I dont know of one single person out of the 20 or so I still keep in contact from my old WoW guild that still plays or even thinks WoW is relevant.  They all play TSW, Tera (sadly), Diablo 3 (again sadly), or are waiting on GW2.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.