Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Item Shop - Sunglasses/Boxing Gloves etc. out of place?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

So I noticed the item shop has items that are clearly 'for fun' but really look like they'd belong much more in The Secret World setting than in Guild Wars 2.

Some of these were 'Aviator Sunglasses' and 'Boxing Gloves'.

Does this sort of stuff break immersion for you or is it cool? 

Personally, I think the items could be more thematically fitting... instead of 'Aviators', there could be some Engineer style goggles or something.  It's a little odd to see things that don't quite fit in the world.

It feels like it goes against the very immersive world that people have obviously spent a LOT of time and effort developing.

Thoughts?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

No stupid stuff please...

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    It is annoying. But there isnt much they can put in the shop if they dont have pay 2 win items. So i understand why.
  • PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

Its fine by me, I try not to let the choices of others make or break my gaming experiences.  Your ideas of deeply immersive items may completely ruin another's experiences.  

To each their own.

I think the best option here is a toggle to completely disable the viewing of these items if you choose and default everyone to standard town clothing.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I find items like that rather dumb but whatever floats people's boats. Can't say it really effects me outside of how silly I think it looks so selected "Don't care".

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    It is annoying. But there isnt much they can put in the shop if they dont have pay 2 win items. So i understand why.

I have to disagree there - there are a LOT of great cosmetic items they can get in there especially given the incredibly talented art team they have at their disposal.  There's no need to create such uninspired items like 'Aviators' and 'boxing gloves' when they clearly have very creative people on staff who could come up with some truly awesome 'fluff' content.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I find these things amusing in most games. Sometimes it's the out of place nature of such things that make them more laughable/entertaining. Don't take it too seriously.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

I was actually having my credit card ready and hoping for some Attires to hide my ridiculous starter gear.

No luck, unfortunately. :(

Originally posted by DeaconX

I have to disagree there - there are a LOT of great cosmetic items they can get in there especially given the incredibly talented art team they have at their disposal.  There's no need to create such uninspired items like 'Aviators' and 'boxing gloves' when they clearly have very creative people on staff who could come up with some truly awesome 'fluff' content.

I'm not really convinced of the "incredibly talented" part. Most faces and hair styles didn't look very inspired, they 'd better look at TERA for some inspiration. And no, I don't like Tera's manga clothes but the faces and hairstyles are really top notch.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

We were all wearing the sun glasses in the final BWE3 event :P And considering the heavy Hunger Games reference in the event, I think we will see a LOT of contemporary influences in Tyria, similar to what WoW was doing, I guess (though I didn't really play that abomination, just heard that it did :P). So Expect Dark Charr Rising capes stuff and what not in the shop.

I don't necessarily like it, but then Tyria is not Middle-earth and this lore is not that important to me to be pissed about such random out-of-place additions. Looks like they will put all the stress on "fun" and less on the "setting" part, keeping it funny and relaxed. Who knows, Maybe that's what it takes to have 10 million casual players?

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    There's no need to create such uninspired items like 'Aviators' and 'boxing gloves' when they clearly have very creative people on staff who could come up with some truly awesome 'fluff' content.

Then I'd recommend hopping on their forums and letting them know what you'd like to see in hopes they put them in.  You call these items uninspired but I'm sure to someone they're exactly what they want.

I'd like a top hat and pipe for my warrior to wage bloody war in because the absurdity of it is interesting to me, I have a feeling we'd be at a disagreement about that, but I'd buy it.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Popori

Its fine by me, I try not to let the choices of others make or break my gaming experiences.  Your ideas of deeply immersive items may completely ruin another's experiences.  

To each their own.

I think the best option here is a toggle to completely disable the viewing of these items if you choose and default everyone to standard town clothing.

This ^

No need to spoil other peoples fun by being a buzz kill. You do you and don't worry about whether or not a few other people like to look silly every once in a while.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I would simply 'like' this if I could.

There is so much they could sell that would be in lore. I personally hate seeing others in my play space in aviators and bermudas in such a high fantasy setting.

But... they want to break the Asian market with the game and crap like sunglasses etc are what they expect over there. Look at Aion's shop. It will be Miss A dance routines soon ;)

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

We got giant flying stone cubes and computers and cars and tanks, can't say I find sunglasses and boxing gloves particularly immersion breaking unless you run around fighting in said boxing gloves

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Aviator, in this context, is a reference to the shape of the lens on a pair of sunglasses. Using that term so that buyers can make an informed decision about a purchase is perfectly reasonable. Remember its not the character buying the item, its the player.

The tech level in GW2 includes elements from eras in our own history well after the invention of boxing gloves and sunglasses. Why are automated autofire turrets, robots, rifles with a rate of fire equivalent to a modern Assault weapon, and so on all appropriate...but  dark lensed spectacles are not ?

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I don't like the items, I think they look out of place and silly really...

Then I watched a 8 ft tall Norn wearing nothing but a pink chainmail kilt hopping in circles around a guy shapeshifted into a red moa, while a human shrunk himself to 2 feet tall and tried to hump a Charr's leg.

So....not even sure I notice the fluff items anymore?

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Glasses

Not too difficult to imagine they might figure out a way to add "tinted lenses" to that to make sunglasses after 250 years. One can argue abotu how it "fits" into the game, but you can't claim that they haven't existed in some form before hand. Besides, from what my understanding is you'll only ever really see it out of combat. I'd just say ignore it, they can't make the item shop appeal to every single person, otherwise they'd have nothing to sell.

I haven't seen any pictures of the offending items in question though, so who knows maybe its all some horrible mess of Cthulhu-esque ugly!

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I really don't care. It will not break my experience. I probably won't buy any of the stuff but seeing how serious some people (lore/immersion purists?) are I can just see a shitstorm coming with events :)

We all got a lot of different hats in GW from major events right from the very first halloween pumpkin crown.

I remember a fun - playerrun - event in LA following the xmas event... 80+ ppl running in a "Rudolph train" all wearing reindeer horns and chasing one person in a xmas-hat. Terribly simple and tonnes of fun :)

Now please, all you purists, who spent a lot of your free time along with me in Tyria for the past 7 years: Please explain how this ruined your game?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

That stuff doesn't really bother me.  I think that GW2 doesn't take itself as seriously as many fans do ;).

Also...GW2 has:

1.  Teleportation gates

2.  Big robots

3.  Huge floating cube cities

4.  Guns

and many more...

But I guess that boxing gloves and sunglasses must have been beyond them lol.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

In the end I suppose whatever makes ArenaNet the money to keep building onto GW2 is good.  I just hope the world doesn't turn into a circus side-show of wacky looking players.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i am not sure .i will see how it goes for six months than see if it has hurted the game or not

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

dont care

original Guild Wars has been doing this for years with hats and spectacles at seasonal events

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hats

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Bah, my engineer got glasses for free or the backpack looking thing. you wanna be top gun go for it goose.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

Humm, I'd rather have their talented art team working on the game itself, devoting their efforts to that, while in their free time; creating small items such as the ones in the cash shop. 

I'm sure in time, there will be lots more costume items in the store and they will look alot better. This is probably something they did because they didn't  have much time and it was quick/easy to do.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Stuff like that sells though. People pay to look different which is why items like that will often be popular. People like that flashy item to grab attention to themselves. 

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

sunglasses have been around since GW1 - http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Tinted_Spectacles

just throwing it out there.

edit: ninja'd image

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Stupid stuffs=stands out from the crowd=attracting attention seeking players= MONEY.