Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting Paradise

MarsolMarsol Tampa, FLPosts: 5Member

Hey folks,

While I don't play nearly as much as I used to, I've been scouting around looking for a game that has what I'm looking for. I've tried all the usual suspects (WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, Rift, etc.).

After taking a step back, I realized what I was missing was wayyyyy back in UO when I had my tradesman characters. I ran a shop, got one in a good location, built relationships with customers, etc. It seems the newer games have all gone the way of the auction house - being a crafter makes me feel more like an employee on an assembly line than someone running a little mom & pop store.  People standing around towns repairing items, etc. UO certainly had its problems too, but I actually kind of liked the fact that one had to go shopping just to get the "basics" (weapons and armor - which had to be replaced quite frequently) without the current emphasis on items where you work for weeks to get each and every one and it is arguably the "most" important part of your character. Of course, UO went down that route too which is why I don't play anymore...

Any games out there still like this? No auction house, hopefully player housing where you can run your own shop. Functional, yet simple crafting system that relies on making things people "need" for day-to-day playing as opposed to working towards that one-time purchase of some uber-leet item.

• DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member

Mabinogi. It's F2P, but a majority of the rarer equipment requires high crafting skills to make, and the blueprints only have a limited number it can produce. With item decay, it keeps the market thriving. You can set up shop in your house (requires a subscription), or in towns and make your own stall.

It's the closest thing to UO IMO, art style aside. Skill based, with combat or crafting a viable game style. Has animal taming, cooking, etc. and more character customization (appearance and build wise) than a majority of the games out there.

But if your still interested in UO, I'd roll a character on Siege Perilous. You can only have 1 per account, and there's no item insurance so people depend on the crafters, even moreso than the old days since most people play a combat character.

• zonovazonova franklin, TNPosts: 34Member

Entropia Universe puts a huge emphasis on crafting and selling, and i think you'd likely get a similar feeling if you decided to start it. It also has a real cash economy, which is interesting.

• DanrleiDanrlei TajirPosts: 28Member

Saga of Ryzom.

• OzrethOzreth Phoenix, AZPosts: 618Member Uncommon

Vanguard or Saga of Ryzom without a doubt. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 4,036Member Uncommon

Saga of Ryzom gets my vote too......ALso has the most comprehensive digging system you will ever find.