Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

“The number one request we get with a bullet [in terms of] what people want more of, is story."

Yee, right...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Sandbox

“The number one request we get with a bullet [in terms of] what people want more of, is story."

Yee, right...

You obviously don't care about story, so the game wasn't targeted at you.  People like me, who are still playing, definitely want more story, not a bunch of worthless new Operations (Raids).

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This article seems to read out like one big crummy advertisement .. Dont forget to drink your .. Ovaltine?

After reading, "BioWare’s done a good job post-launch of bringing out content updates." it becomes pretty clear that there won't be much truth in here outside of maybe a direct quote, so I skimmed most of the untrue EA propaganda to get to the actual chat with Daniel.

From what it sounds like, EA doesn't like F2P because the free weekends seem to generate subscriptions.  What wasn't said was that so many people got pink slipped that they might not have the people to work out the F2P website and linkage mechanics. /shrug

TLDR: Overall pretty empty article, not much news it it, just a bunch of hype and TOR praising.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Well, it would seem that there are some more TOR lead Devs that need to go besides who have already went............, if they want this game to continue.

What would be refreshing, is seeing a lead say something to the effect of, "OK, we seen the problems and we're going to fix it".  Instead of this article's impression of "we just need a bunch of non-MMO playing people to come join our mess cause they expect less", along with "We built the perfect NGE, we know it's great, just ask us, we'll tell you". 

Seen this so many times over at SOE, with some of the exact same people, it doesn't even phase me anylonger.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Yee, right...

You obviously don't care about story, so the game wasn't targeted at you.  People like me, who are still playing, definitely want more story, not a bunch of worthless new Operations (Raids).

So you think Story or Raids are the only options for a MMO? I then understand that the game was targeted at you.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

“The number one request we get with a bullet [in terms of] what people want more of, is story." Yee, right...

Agreed. People that dont care about story were never the target audience for this game in the first place.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

Yee, right...

Agreed. People that dont care about story were never the target audience for this game in the first place.

It must be a binary thing then; if you like story then you don't give a damn about anything else in the game, if not you are a story hater and the game is not for you.

How well did this turn out...?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Yee, right...

It must be a binary thing then; if you like story then you don't give a damn about anything else in the game, if not you are a story hater and the game is not for you.

How well did this turn out...?

Taugrim posted a good video about the issue here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvbScYKEH70

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

It's funny how defensive people are about SWTOR, when someone questioning the reasoning of the devs.

I just don't believe more story is the most requested thing in regards of SWTOR, when it's obvious so many more flaws with the game.

For the record, I liked the game, I liked the story and would continue to play if the game was treated for what it is, as a single player game with coop features. I have never said SWTOR sucks or anything like that. I do think it's a failure and something is obviously wrong when people leave in droves.

My theory is to blame the fanatics that silenced all constructive discussions during the time of development, some of them still seen here continuing to run their spin-machine, struggling to "be right" even if the (virtual) world is falling atop of them.

Yee, right...

How well did this turn out...?l

It's amazing to me the black and white world some people live in. How you can take a simple statement that was directed at one person and twist it into a broad brush statement is beyond me. 

Yee, right...

How well did this turn out...?l

It's amazing to me the black and white world some people live in. How you can take a simple statement that was directed at one person and twist it into a broad brush statement is beyond me. 

Exactly my point; thats why I quoted you "People that dont care about story were never the target audience for this game in the first place."

People are not just me, so who is the one with the broad brush statement?

I don't think I am the only one that liked the story but also missed more other stuff to do.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Still reading the article....story is a good thing, it's one of TOR's strengths and it suits them well to continue with that.  Yet, in playing TSW recently, I can't help but wish (or hope) Bioware would do something similar that FunCom is doing with server dimensions and cross chat between them.  May be hard to implement, but if they could start with just a full server chat channel, that would be a very easy step in the right direction to help alleviate the feeling of "SRPG" in the game...

In defense of the "SRPG" feel, I don't think the fault lies entirely with Bioware.  In the end, it is Bioware's fault but we, as a gaming community have moved to a much more solo experience with MMOs (thank WoW for that); ultimately, Bioware should have had that notion more in mind and figured out better ways of bringing community back.  It has been quite a while since I have played any MMO and been continually grouped up (needed or not).  So, singling out TOR for this is a bit unfair, all things considered.

I can honestly say the last MMO that had a true massive community feel to me was EQ2.  Everything else since has been pretty much a single player MMO.

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

The game was fun, I liked the combat, I just detest cetain things that the game started out as.   Things may have changed now but the issues were there and should never have been released that way.

1. you can queue for pvp anywhere but pve you must be at a station and shout for a group.

2. same faction pvp queues... why bother even having 2 factions if you dont have a war or battles between the factions.

3. along the same lines of 2 Huttball... make huttball an arena, not pvp queue.  The entire premise sucks... its not pvp its arena play offs

4. every last freaking quest is voiced over... thats fine 1 time through but make another character same faction, then another... it gets really freaking old,  my spacebar was getting used more than my  action buttons.

5. voice over options in dungeons.. 2 edged sword here, 1 its great that instance can play out different ways depending on choices but after a few times through the dungeon having to wait on some moron who wont spacebar through the conversation sucks.

6. Space may as well not exist... you might as well have just offered shuttle services between planets because  star fox online doesnt cut it, and the personal space ship that you cant do anything with isnt great eiter... its like housing but you cant change a thing, it sucks.

7. every thing is instanced... the servers cant handle more than 20 to 40 in a zone before another instance of it pops... stupid stupid stupid.

8. worlds completely lifeless... no critters, mobs just stand there... completely static everything.

9. pvp no seperate queues for level spreads.... a level 10 against a level 50 sucks.

10. crafting is worthless and pointless. plus you dont even do it... just click on your companions.

I could keep going on what I didnt like but its not as simple as you either like the story and still play or didnt like it and quit.

There are many different reasons.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by bestman22

The game was fun, I liked the combat, I just detest cetain things that the game started out as.   Things may have changed now but the issues were there and should never have been released that way.

1. you can queue for pvp anywhere but pve you must be at a station and shout for a group.

2. same faction pvp queues... why bother even having 2 factions if you dont have a war or battles between the factions.

3. along the same lines of 2 Huttball... make huttball an arena, not pvp queue.  The entire premise sucks... its not pvp its arena play offs

4. every last freaking quest is voiced over... thats fine 1 time through but make another character same faction, then another... it gets really freaking old,  my spacebar was getting used more than my  action buttons.

5. voice over options in dungeons.. 2 edged sword here, 1 its great that instance can play out different ways depending on choices but after a few times through the dungeon having to wait on some moron who wont spacebar through the conversation sucks.

6. Space may as well not exist... you might as well have just offered shuttle services between planets because  star fox online doesnt cut it, and the personal space ship that you cant do anything with isnt great eiter... its like housing but you cant change a thing, it sucks.

7. every thing is instanced... the servers cant handle more than 20 to 40 in a zone before another instance of it pops... stupid stupid stupid.

8. worlds completely lifeless... no critters, mobs just stand there... completely static everything.

9. pvp no seperate queues for level spreads.... a level 10 against a level 50 sucks.

10. crafting is worthless and pointless. plus you dont even do it... just click on your companions.

I could keep going on what I didnt like but its not as simple as you either like the story and still play or didnt like it and quit.

There are many different reasons.

i don't agree with a lot of the items on your list and you are spreading misinformation with some of them (7,8,10).  But again, to each his/her own.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

Yee, right...

So you think Story or Raids are the only options for a MMO? I then understand that the game was targeted at you.

AMAZING answer! +10 for this man. A mmorpg is more than history (other's history btw, not mine) and raids/ops. 

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Many issues with the game, and the Hero engine in particularly. I think, at this point, the game is pretty functional and it has most of the necessary modern features to get people together and having fun while levelling and enjoying what endgame content there is.

Personally, I don't find the prospect of more flashpoints or operations particularly exciting - especially not if it's just to push out more gear tiers. I LOATHE the concept of having to "catch up" everytime a new tier is released. I'd much rather have my character develop in other ways than just hunting new gear.

The gear progression IS necessary however - and I absolutely detest a fully flat progression curve - like in GW2. I WANT something to look forward to while levelling - and I love to see the game and my options expand. It's just that I also want to reach a point where I've been through most of the progression - and I can "enjoy my stuff".

This is exactly what the game DOESN'T have - and that's what I think it needs.

Two features, if implemented correctly, could add tremendously to the longevity of this game:

1. Freeform space segment with trading/PvP. Basically, add Freelancer/Privateer/Elite and combine it with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. Then, expand upon the whole ship upgrade system and introduce a SEPARATE progression curve that's largely about your economy - making trading/cargo tranportation a vital aspect. You can imagine how that would introduce a brilliant stage for PvP with blockades and pirates, and so on. Yes, it would take a lot of work - but if they're smart, they'd develop this as a separate online game on the side - so as to justify the budget - and I promise you the current market would go wild for such a game.

2. Expanded PvP - especially Ilum and open world PvP. Make Ilum a desirable place to be - and make conflict desirable in itself. Give people a reason to kill each other - and give people a reason to stay in the area. It really shouldn't be that hard. Also, make sure you log major accomplishments for all participating players - because a simple feature like having your name established through your deeds can go a VERY long way for longevity and a competitive environment. Also, make the open world PvP on planets (for PvP servers, obviously) have more meaning - and encourage fair play over ganking. For instance, you could let people mark themselves as criminals/blackmarket people who would get extra rewards for doing quests or interacting with merchants - but by doing so, they'd be fair game for BOUNTY HUNTERS - where other players could gain a reward for hunting them down and defeating them. Do it in a smart way and ensure that only 1 vs. 1 scenarios could happen - or similarly fair setups. As in, once a bounty hunter marked his target - all other people would be prevented from engaging until a cooldown had passed or the target was dead. Something like that.

The stories are great and the cinematic appeal in TOR  fantastic. The engine, while really bad - has been tuned and polished to the point where you CAN have PvP with 16 people on screen and have it run smoothly. I'm sure something could be done to Ilum to create separate instances of 20v20 or 40v40 - without the game being run into the ground. At least, I hope so.

In any case, those two features are exactly what other strong themepark games don't have - and will likely never have. This is why SWtOR has the opportunity to claim this powerful gameplay segment and draw a lot of people to the game, that wouldnt' otherwise touch it.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

“What we discovered is that people who play the game really like the game. We have the highest conversion rate with our free weekends, way beyond our predictions,” Erickson explained. “Our friend trials, same thing. We didn’t get as broad of a Star Wars group [at launch] because the message was MMO, and people have a negative connotation around getting into an MMO. So what we’re saying now is we’re going to find any way we can to get the game in front of people. Because when people play The Old Republic they like The Old Republic. If we can get people to get in there, play it, hang out… we’re really confident we’re going to get a bunch of new players from that.”

The guy is deluded. Or he's a crook. Either way, he's not good for the game.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Yee, right...

Then they shouldnh't have made an MMO, should they?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Sandbox “The number one request we get with a bullet [in terms of] what people want more of, is story." Yee, right...

This game isn't a single player game, it's an MMO, so yeah that's Bioware's mistake in making a single player game with a sub. MMO's shouldn't be based around just a storyline.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by Sandbox “The number one request we get with a bullet [in terms of] what people want more of, is story." Yee, right...
    This game isn't a single player game, it's an MMO, so yeah that's Bioware's mistake in making a single player game with a sub. MMO's shouldn't be based around just a storyline.

Go back to playing Fable, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

I got a better idea, how about he continue to play what he likes and you go back to playing whatever it is you like ? It's his money not yours.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

To me, this game should have been even more of what many call "single player" here than it is now. What brought it down was the MMO aspect. I'd even say the very existence of it.

SWTOR is about story and characters, through and through... That's not bad in itself. The thing is, though, they blew it when it comes to the setting. They've really made a bland and unimaginative Star Wars world. 

If they stuck more closely to basic KOTOR design and just ditched MMO tropes like raiding, healer/tank prioritizing trinity (so unnatural in SW), battlezones and I'd even say dungeon running, it'd be a much better game in my opinion.

So I say going with "more story" is actually the right call. Though they should do something about that "standard MMO endgame" that's sticking like a sore thumb there.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Digital trends?

Yas, the Gamer Hivemind Opinions do follow trends (strongly).  Memes, mostly; it can't think for itself, but it can parrot what some other guy said, very efficiently.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Been playing TSW but am checking this out soon.

Chamber of Chains
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by noncley

“What we discovered is that people who play the game really like the game. We have the highest conversion rate with our free weekends, way beyond our predictions,” Erickson explained. “Our friend trials, same thing. We didn’t get as broad of a Star Wars group [at launch] because the message was MMO, and people have a negative connotation around getting into an MMO. So what we’re saying now is we’re going to find any way we can to get the game in front of people. Because when people play The Old Republic they like The Old Republic. If we can get people to get in there, play it, hang out… we’re really confident we’re going to get a bunch of new players from that.”

The guy is deluded. Or he's a crook. Either way, he's not good for the game.

On the contrary, he is most probably telling the truth.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a large number of the weekend trial players buy the game and subscribe. The REAL question (which is not asked or answered in the interview) is: "How long do they stay ?"

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

I enjoyed Swtor. Me not being a "raid/group" type i found it very fun.... the first time. Problem i ran into was replayability. Outside of the story quest you basically ended up doing the exact same thing in the exact same zone. That was a killer for me Once i hit my JK to 50 doing a counsular felt like a grind because i had already done all the same content. Same for my trooper then smuggler. Unfortunatly being burnt out on the content they have available will keep me from returning to the game.