Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Are there any upcoming AAA MMOs with potential?

tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,208Member Uncommon

I had my hopes on SWTOR and GW2 but they both suck and I know the GW2 fanbois will come along like they do with any MMO before launch but I just thought it was more of the same. Just looking at the list I cannot find anything, been trying MMOs since SWG was ruined in 2005 and I haven't found one I've liked in seven years nearly now. The best way to describe it is in the FPS genre and how they're all COD now, every game is just trying to be COD and it's so boring that I don't bother with them. The same thing with MMOS, every MMO is just trying to be WoW with a gimmick that makes it slightly different. The only MMO out there right now that is any different is EVE Online but that's all about unfair fights so doesn't appeal to me. 

 

I need a seamless world, I hate loading screens and I hate the feeling that I'm in a series of maps and not a virtual world. MMOs these days all tend to have loads of loading screens and seperate zones and what is worse is they restrict the number of players to something tiny like 100 per zone. When I played WoW in 2005 it had a nice balance of being seamless and still having instances, the instances in WoW were few and far between and they were built into the world so they felt real, you still had to travel to them. The fast travel it did have like Griffins or boats, you had to ride on them, it wasn't an instant teleport to another zone. Now like GW2 or SWTOR it's click on this NPC or run through this portal and instantly you're in a different location. They don't feel like worlds, there is no structure to them, just a load of random maps..... eurgh I just hate it. 

 

I miss group content as well, even though I hated EQ2s world design and only played it in beta and a month after launch I had the best time grouping. Just sitting out in CL with my group and chatting in the downtime because back then regen of health and mana took a long time. You'd just travel with groups and groups of people throughout this zone and it just felt so epic. You'd still die all the time because it was hard, having a group wasn't a given like it is today. When you did die you got XP debt  and you could actually go backwards in a night if you weren't careful. Even in the tutorial Island you needed a group for the last quest and the starter zones around the cities. It was just so amazing and now if you go back and play it's all generic solo kill 10 rats quests, it was never like that before and now SOE have just turned it into a WoW clone.

 

Developers think that people don't want to group but that isn't the case because people group all the time at end game for raids or PVP. The problem is with these linear themepark level based MMOs grouping becomes harder and harder as the game becomes top heavy. SWGs content (the little amount there was of it) was dotted all around the worlds in a non linear fashion and because there were no levels new and old players would be doing each bit of content as they liked, so content never dried up. You didn't even do it for rewards half the time, you did it because it was fun to do. Now people wont touch content in an MMO because it's boring, it's not fun and they're only doing it for a reward. I think speaks volumes of how poor the gameplay is in MMOs these days that people wouldn't do it without a reward...... surely that's a sign that the gameplay needs to change. 

 

Humph.

 

Guess I'll go and play some Dayz because these days that is more of an MMO that the shit listed on this site.... I mean I cannot believe we've got to a place where LoL is being called an MMO.

«13456

Comments

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member

    Archage is a AAA title, so is TESO, Nevrwinter also looks interesting, then there is PS2.

    A lot of upcoming titles if you are not interested in GW2 or TSW.

  • AirwrenAirwren Normal, ILPosts: 646Member

    I'm sort of having the same feeling that you are right now.  Maybe I just haven't gotten over the letdown of just how terrible SW:TOR is.  I pre-purchased GW2 and have played 2 of the last 3 betas for it and I'm coming away with a sense it got better over the beta period but it may be something that I casually enjoy but don't play as a "main" mmo.  If I could offer a suggestion of games to keep an eye on, especially a fellow DayZ player I would offer up:

     

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/the-war-z-announced-zombie-survival-shooter-mmo-with-strong-parallels-to-day-z/

     

    as well as Planetside 2.  Now, I absolutely hate SOE as I have made well known on this site and any other that will let me rant about the company.  For some reason though I'm drawn to what PS2 is trying to do with the game.  I'm not sure it will be enough to get me to overcome my feelings about the developer, but I do have my eye on it. ;p

  • krulerkruler PerthPosts: 340Member Uncommon

    Im looking forward to Panetside 2 for its persistent world combat, im still playing EvE, but after viewing the planetside 2 engine I am now more intrigued by EQnext than I was before seeing as using the same engine, but damn if SOE is keeping info tight on that title.

    There is no God, there is no Devil, nor Angels and Demons, there is only us, surely thats bad enough, for no creature is able to commit such acts of hate and love, sometimes in the same day.

  • PudsyPudsy Big OnePosts: 34Member

    Dude your best bet is to buy Mists of Panderia when it comes out for wow. I don't think their is any new MMORPGs in development, my hopes were on TSW and GW2 and i think they both suck to.

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    No idea whether it's the sort of stuff you'd like, but Planetside 2 has both an open world and plenty of "group content" (well, duh, I know image) It's 

    There's Archeage, but it's too far on far on the horizon as much as the West is concerned. (har har)

    A few weeks ago I'd say TESO might be more in line with what you're talking about here... though their director went and shied away from the term MMORPG, defining themselves as "online roleplaying game", so, well...

    Of course, you could always hop into Vanguard, especially thinking they're going free to play... Who knows, maybe there'll even be players to play with. :P

     

  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM ZagrebPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Pudsy

    Dude your best bet is to buy Mists of Panderia when it comes out for wow. I don't think their is any new MMORPGs in development, my hopes were on TSW and GW2 and i think they both suck to.

    So he dislikes GW2 or TSW for being more of the "same", and your suggestion is to play THE "same"?

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member

    No there is not, that is the simple answer.

    image

  • FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member Common

    I agree with OP early days of EQ2 were awesome ,when it was mostly group content.There is nothing in AAA MMO's in the future that looks remotely interesting.The devs are either forced by publishers to make a WoW type easy mode game or think we are all simpletons that want to play a casual dumb ass game running around next to other people occasionally rolling on the floor.People who even play these type of games call it grouping too hahahahaha morons.

    Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge
    image

  • xenogiasxenogias warsaw, INPosts: 1,926Member
    Originally posted by tixylix

    I had my hopes on SWTOR and GW2 but they both suck and I know the GW2 fanbois will come along like they do with any MMO before launch but I just thought it was more of the same. Just looking at the list I cannot find anything, been trying MMOs since SWG was ruined in 2005 and I haven't found one I've liked in seven years nearly now. The best way to describe it is in the FPS genre and how they're all COD now, every game is just trying to be COD and it's so boring that I don't bother with them. The same thing with MMOS, every MMO is just trying to be WoW with a gimmick that makes it slightly different. The only MMO out there right now that is any different is EVE Online but that's all about unfair fights so doesn't appeal to me. 

     

    I need a seamless world, I hate loading screens and I hate the feeling that I'm in a series of maps and not a virtual world. MMOs these days all tend to have loads of loading screens and seperate zones and what is worse is they restrict the number of players to something tiny like 100 per zone. When I played WoW in 2005 it had a nice balance of being seamless and still having instances, the instances in WoW were few and far between and they were built into the world so they felt real, you still had to travel to them. The fast travel it did have like Griffins or boats, you had to ride on them, it wasn't an instant teleport to another zone. Now like GW2 or SWTOR it's click on this NPC or run through this portal and instantly you're in a different location. They don't feel like worlds, there is no structure to them, just a load of random maps..... eurgh I just hate it. 

     

    I miss group content as well, even though I hated EQ2s world design and only played it in beta and a month after launch I had the best time grouping. Just sitting out in CL with my group and chatting in the downtime because back then regen of health and mana took a long time. You'd just travel with groups and groups of people throughout this zone and it just felt so epic. You'd still die all the time because it was hard, having a group wasn't a given like it is today. When you did die you got XP debt  and you could actually go backwards in a night if you weren't careful. Even in the tutorial Island you needed a group for the last quest and the starter zones around the cities. It was just so amazing and now if you go back and play it's all generic solo kill 10 rats quests, it was never like that before and now SOE have just turned it into a WoW clone.

     

    Developers think that people don't want to group but that isn't the case because people group all the time at end game for raids or PVP. The problem is with these linear themepark level based MMOs grouping becomes harder and harder as the game becomes top heavy. SWGs content (the little amount there was of it) was dotted all around the worlds in a non linear fashion and because there were no levels new and old players would be doing each bit of content as they liked, so content never dried up. You didn't even do it for rewards half the time, you did it because it was fun to do. Now people wont touch content in an MMO because it's boring, it's not fun and they're only doing it for a reward. I think speaks volumes of how poor the gameplay is in MMOs these days that people wouldn't do it without a reward...... surely that's a sign that the gameplay needs to change. 

     

    Humph.

     

    Guess I'll go and play some Dayz because these days that is more of an MMO that the shit listed on this site.... I mean I cannot believe we've got to a place where LoL is being called an MMO.

    In short no, there is nothing on the horizon that is going to satisfy your hardcore wants. I'm not saying that to be degrading either. You want the oldschool hardcore feel to an MMO and nothing is going to offer than comming up. It may never get back there again.

  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member

    Archeage .

     

    Nuff said,

  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott BristolPosts: 433Member

    Nope, the genre is dead.  I just hang around for the giggles.

    image

  • VitaminKVitaminK Richmond, VAPosts: 59Member

    [mod edit]

     

    And to everyone saying ArchAge is even an option, get real, it will be years atleast if the game is even ever published in NA.

  • cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member

    Actually agree with you on the last point. LOL IS NOT AN MMO!

    Then I look at the current advert banner dominating this site and I see why it's here.

    Seems so long as this site can make some money from it, any game is an MMO.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by VitaminK
    Originally posted by Meowhead

    [mod edit]

     Wow you didnt even read the first 2 lines of original post... way to go.

     

    And to everyone saying ArchAge is even an option, get real, it will be years atleast if the game is even ever published in NA.

    The only thing even close or has a chance is repopulation imo.

    image

  • FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member Common

     The Repopulation looks promising to me too.

    Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge
    image

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,982Member Uncommon

    GW2 don´t suck but it is fine that you don´t like it, 2 very different things.

    Anyways there are a few promising games on the horizon:

    Undead labs "Class 4". This game is actually taking a totally new run at the genre and what I heard so far seems very interesting. Lead designer is Jeff Strain who also made Diablo (1) and WC3. The bad news is that it is X-box exclusive...

    CCPs World of darkness online. Still far away from being released but they have some really interesting ideas in a modern gothic horror sandbox package.

    SOE is working on EQ3, it will be in a seamless world but there are a few warning clocks about the game including that it will use SOEs "freemium" payment method.

    Zenimax Elder scrolls online seems to be rather close to DaoC if you liked that game.

    And there is a korean sandboxgame called "Archeage" that seems rather good as well, but only the gods know when we will see a western version of it.

    So don´t loose hope, hopefully will at least one of these games be something for you. 

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

    Neverwinter has the potential to be something pretty special. If the user created content is done properly it could really change things up. All remains to be seen first though. It won't be a seamless world either.

  • dageezadageeza london, KYPosts: 578Member
    Originally posted by xenogias

    In short no, there is nothing on the horizon that is going to satisfy your hardcore wants. I'm not saying that to be degrading either. You want the oldschool hardcore feel to an MMO and nothing is going to offer than comming up. It may never get back there again.

    Unfortunately for the OP this...

    It really sucks when your favorite MMO is yanked out of existence like SWG was..

    If SWG still existed thats what i would most likely be doodling in while waiting for GW2 wasnt my favorite game but i miss it sometimes just knowing your toons are forever gone to never be revisited again..

    Good luck in your bitter search to replace SWG cuz theres nothing out there even close yet..

     

     

     

    Playing GW2..

  • NildenNilden null, NBPosts: 1,284Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cinos

    Actually agree with you on the last point. LOL IS NOT AN MMO!

    Then I look at the current advert banner dominating this site and I see why it's here.

    Seems so long as this site can make some money from it, any game is an MMO.

    LOL is an MMO the same way Diablo 3 is. The only potential I see is wasted potential.

    How to post links.

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

  • RCP_utRCP_ut ...Posts: 263Member

    My guess is that, for you, there is not... lol

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

    Hmmm... am I the only one that thinks that maybe what the OP needs is to re-assess his expectations?

    I could be wrong, but the OP sounds like one of those hardcore MMO fans that wants a seamless virtual world, with state of the art graphics, FFA pvp, etc. etc. Not a game, but a second virtual life.

    The problem with that, is that you aren't going to find a game that does all that anytime soon.

    Either a game needs to have loading screens to manage the content, or you have what is essentially the same games we already have, reskinned. This is not to say that there aren't any AAA MMOs with potential, but it sounds like the OP doesn't want a good game. He wants a secondary virtual life that meets a very specific, niche list of demands that would cost more to make than it would profit from fans.

    I mean, I hate to say it, but when you stop treating your games as games, you're going to find it increasingly more difficult to find ones that live up to your own expectations. What's happening in the MMO genre is actually quite the opposite of what happened w/ COD. MMOs are trying to differentiate themselves more and more. It just sounds like the OP doesn't want them to do this. He wants them to go back to being more of the same, just as a sandbox.

  • cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by cinos

    Actually agree with you on the last point. LOL IS NOT AN MMO!

    Then I look at the current advert banner dominating this site and I see why it's here.

    Seems so long as this site can make some money from it, any game is an MMO.

    LOL is an MMO the same way Diablo 3 is. The only potential I see is wasted potential.

    Erm, ok. :0

    "Lol is an MMO the same way Diablo 3 is" - So neither are then.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by tixylix

    Guess I'll go and play some Dayz because these days that is more of an MMO that the shit listed on this site....

    I fail to see the problem then.  You have a game you're happy with.

    Mind you, that does seem to be rather at odds with your title...but what can ya do?  People on message boards hold simultaneous contradictory viewpoints all the time.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • ShariShari WolverhamptonPosts: 732Member Uncommon

    FFXIV (being relaunched at the end of the year or early next year)

    Archage (looks to be a good sanbox)

    Xsyon prelude (totally different from most mmorpg's although I know it's not AAA)

    Wakfu maybe? (again not AAA, but definitely different)

    Thats all I could think of for the moment

    image

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.