Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unbelievable hype disparity between this and Guild Wars 2

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

I think I must be missing something because I just don't understand the huge difference between the hype for Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2. I get that Guild Wars 2 is almost served up and people can smell and taste it already but are the hype meters are doing justice to both games?

Many of the mechanics that made people fall in love with Guild Wars 2 are sounding extremely similar for The Elder Scrolls Online, especially the GW2 fan favourite that is the PVP system and also to a lesser extent the combat which if anything sounds more promising in the Elder Scrolls Online. Than on top of the similarities and the combat synergies (which personally I think sound great) we have a beloved IP filled with popular lore, which is surely more popular than GW2 lore.

Also the game doesn't seem as though it will be a casual leaning MMO like GW (atleast I've heard no mention of things that would make it such) which I thought, atleast on this site and from fans of series would be a positive.

Are people just jaded that their favourite sandbox single player game isn't going to be as sandboxy as they dreamed it would when it came? Or are people just cynical and requiring more information before they allow themselves to get excited?

I ask these questions and write this because I cannot for the life of me understand how an Elder Scrolls MMO isn't hyped up especially when I compare it to the hype of games like GW2.

Comments

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30

It's the hype train bud(and because it's almost release date), wait until after gamescom and PAX, and people will hop into another one.

I bought GW2 and enjoy it's PvP,but the game is waaaay overhyped. Hoping the best for TESO and all upcoming releases, after all :the better competition , the better this industry will get (I hope).

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Part of it is look at it this way.

You look at GW1, compare it to GW2... and MOST people would say GW2 is way better in a lot of ways.

You look at Elder Scrolls, then ESO... and a lot of people are going to say that the original was better, and therefore downvote it.

Problems with having a super popular franchise and then living up to what people want for it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

As a standalone generic MMO I think we would of seen more positive reviews.  I myself have grown to love all the stuff we've been shown so far but a TES spiritual Sucessor it isnt.  This is why its gotten such negative previews and hype.  I still think even though TESO might end up to a be a great game, it would of been much better off being a Multiplayer Skyrim set over the entire continent.  Tamriel is mega huge and theres enough space for all the sandbox kiddies to get their fix if it was designed that way.  Still though as a innovative MMO I intend to check it out.  Really loving the class system and combat system weve been shown.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I think it is because most people see TESO as a pretender its really just Rift/Wow/ insert generic MMO with the Elder Scrolls name on it.

They have left out or changed so much of elder scrolls to make a wow clone MMO that its really not worth any attention IMHO till the developers can prove otherwise.

Yes i am a Skyrim/Elder scroll fan from way back to Arena, just feel very Meh about TESO so far, hopefully I'm wrong but I feel its just a money grab sticking the elder scrolls name on generic X MMO to try and cash in on Skyrims recent success.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Meowhead

You look at GW1, compare it to GW2... and MOST people would say GW2 is way better in a lot of ways.

You look at Elder Scrolls, then ESO... and a lot of people are going to say that the original was better, and therefore downvote it.

This is pretty much it.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

1. The game lacks a lot of the elements found in previous games under the elder scrolls title |> Player Housing, skill based progression etc...

2. They have warped the lore.

3. Not developed by the people who did the previous award winning elder scrolls games.

I'm sure there is more, but it's not even about the difference between the hype. It's about the fact that they are attempting to sucker people into playing this game under the guise that it is an elder scrolls game when it lacks the feature list, lore and development team of the elder scrolls series.

IP Dairy Milk machine. 

My bad they have Atronach's in the screenshot, it's an elder scrolls game after all.....

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

There is no need for more mmo's after GW2 release. its the end of the journey, can only go downwards.

And i thought this ESO thing is a browser game tbh ;) No one cares for it i guess?

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I don't think the game needs housing. I don't think it needs any features that other Elder Scrolls games have. I do however think it needs something that sets its self apart. Currently it has a few things that sound good, mostly based around the PvP system chosen. However, they haven't told us much about the foundation but what they have shared sounds like what we already have by the barrel.

I am not saying I woulden't enjoy housing. I am not saying that my vision for this woulden't have been a cross between SWG and Warhammer Online's RvR.  What I am saying, with an open mind to be swayed, is that I am not impressed (yet).

Originally posted by MaxJac

I don't think the game needs housing. I don't think it needs any features that other Elder Scrolls games have. I do however think it needs something that sets its self apart. Currently it has a few things that sound good, mostly based around the PvP system chosen. However, they haven't told us much about the foundation but what they have shared sounds like what we already have by the barrel.

I am not saying I woulden't enjoy housing. I am not saying that my vision for this woulden't have been a cross between SWG and Warhammer Online's RvR.  What I am saying, with an open mind to be swayed, is that I am not impressed (yet).

I only really got on board since Morrowind but, since then I haven't had to NOT have housing in an ES game. Not something I am now willing to sacrifice.

Now that I think about it, since playing SWG & Morrowind I've played a higher % of games that have housing versus those that don't.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

ozmono, truthfully there isnt enough definitive information to get hyped about TESO...yet.

Like others have said, once the newness wears off on GW2 (in a few months), people will be looking at whats coming down the road.

Personally even though Im going to buy GW2, Im more intersested in TESO.

Actually Im most intersest in anything WoD, but Im sure its at least 4-6 years away. So at the moment TESO has my eye.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Sirr0Sirr0 Member Posts: 55

I think whats more important to this answer is,  Guild wars 2 is out in a little over a month and ESO was only fairly recently announced, very little is seen and nothing that has been said can be easily verified, it hasn't had a chance to build hype, Gw2 has been talked about for years.

Also Guild Wars was an MMO,  Elder Scrolls up til this point has never had multiplayer, it's not simple to just transistion to MP.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by ozmono

Are people just jaded that their favourite sandbox single player game isn't going to be as sandboxy as they dreamed it would when it came? Or are people just cynical and requiring more information before they allow themselves to get excited?

I ask these questions and write this because I cannot for the life of me understand how an Elder Scrolls MMO isn't hyped up especially when I compare it to the hype of games like GW2.

Really?

You don't understand why anyone would no buy a Ferrari which looks and drive  like a Ford Focus?

Don't get me wrong, the Ford Focus is a decent car, but probably it is not what Ferrari fans are looking for?

That's pretty much what is happening with TESO.

TES fan are expecting a Skyrim or Morrowind Online, not another WoW clone with a twist.

Even if the MMO stands on its own merit, personally, as long term TES fan I won't buy it if it does't have enough TES elements in it.

And at the moment it doesn't.

It looks cheap and casual, very similar to SWTOR.

I won't spend my money encouraging developers to ruin a great IP like TES for a quick money grab market operation like TESO.

TES is great because Todd Howard doesn't listen to marketing people, and makes the game he likes to play.

Even if some player do no like the combat, he doesn't touch the formula, which apparently it is a winning formula.

So why changing it for TES Online?

It doesn't make any sense.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by ste2000

Really?

You don't understand why anyone would no buy a Ferrari which looks and drive  like a Ford Focus?

Don't get me wrong, the Ford Focus is a decent car, but probably it is not what Ferrari fans are looking for?

That's pretty much what is happening with TESO.

TES fan are expecting a Skyrim or Morrowind Online, not another WoW clone with a twist.

Even if the MMO stands on its own merit, personally, as long term TES fan I won't buy it if it does't have enough TES elements in it.

And at the moment it doesn't.

It looks cheap and casual, very similar to SWTOR.

I won't spend my money encouraging developers to ruin a great IP like TES for a quick money grab market operation like TESO.

TES is great because Todd Howard doesn't listen to marketing people, and makes the game he likes to play.

Even if some player do no like the combat, he doesn't touch the formula, which apparently it is a winning formula.

Valid point but instead of focusing on the part you made red you could have focussed on the part I made yellow ;)

I think reading my entire post you could have come to the conclussion that the part you made red wasn't really the best representation of what I understand or what I fail to understand. I admit that when taken out of the context  of the entire post I misrepresented myself.

It's more bewilderment about the 6.5 hype level in comparison to GW2 8.8 than it is that I am at a complete loss.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Valid point but instead of focusing on the part you made red you could have focussed on the part I made yellow ;)

I think reading my entire post you could have come to the conclussion that the part you made red wasn't really the best representation of what I understand or what I fail to understand. I admit that when taken out of the context  of the entire post I misrepresented myself.

It's more bewilderment about the 6.5 hype level in comparison to GW2 8.8 than it is that I am at a complete loss.

The red marked quote is directly connected with the yellow, and since you asked a valid question I concenterated on answering that.

You need to read my whole post which again answer your main question.

People are down rating TES because it doesn't look like a TES game, but more like SWTOR with the TES badge.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

The red marked quote is directly connected with the yellow, and since you asked a valid question I concenterated on answering that.

Which is exactly the reason I said what what I did. Ofcourse I also felt obliged to clarify the possible misconception from the one part of the one sentence that you isolated and pointed out in a different colour.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Simple, this is not what us TES fans were asking for. We wanted a MMORPG that mirrors all those great features found in TES series, mainly freedom. Instead we get a rerun of the last 8 years. I could stand them raping one of the biggest game IP's there is to create Daoc 2, if the rest of the game didn't bring me that all too familiar WoW wibe.

Who ever made the decision to keep this blasphemy under the lid for 5 years should go eat razors. Now it's too late to change anything.

Fuck Zenimax, fuck Firor and fuck this game. I hope they fail bigger than SWTOR.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

All you have to do is read dev interviews from both studios to understand.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

After what we've seen and heard from TESO developers so far, it's most likely that TESO will be a SWTOR clone with Elder scrolls skin and 3 faction PVP.  It is expected that Elder Scrolls fanbase (and they are the ones who will fuel the hype) will not be pleased with such game design.

On the other hand, GW2, although different to GW1, in it's design still loyal to the franchise but with fresh approach at the same time , caters to both GW and non-GW fans. And of course, it delivers on everything that was promised in "manifesto".

That's why there's hype disparity between these two games.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

For me it's just another case of forcing an existing, popular franchise name ona game that shouldn't have it. Happens a lot insingeplayer games (the X-COM shooter, Syndicate, etc.) and it happens with MMOs as well it seems. 

Ever since Arena, TES was about sadnboxy, huge, open world  with "make your own adventure" gameplay style. TESO sadly doesn't give that vibe. While on it's own it might be completley valid MMO choice, the fact it has that TES franchise forced on it makes it less desireable. 

It will lur ein the initial crowd but long term wise, it will be have to exceptional to keep people around. 

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Everything that GW2 said it would deliver, it already has, I have played the best large scale PvP since Dark Age of Camelot. TESO has lots of things on it's manifesto but no one has even touched the game yet so we have no idea whether it's likely to deliver or not.

Also like many people have said players coming in expecting Skyrim or Morrowind Online will be very disappointed when they actually do some reading about this game.

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

I totally disagree with the OP. The hype for TESO is huge compared to GW2. The train began to roll with the Gameinformer coverage. There's still no ingame footage. The environmental fly through at E3 doesn't really count. On the other hand GW2's hype started with a demo at Gamescom 2010. Many people who played it were surprised and stunned by the shatterer event.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

When the lead designer said that all MMO features were already created and nothing really new can be added it just turned off a lot of people.

I think there have been no real hype since the game have no really new stuff. Sure, a modern version of DaoC set in TES world is not uninteresting but for people to be truly hyped they either need to invent a new cool feature or resurrect something cool from the early days.

But ESOs most interesting feature is 3 faction PvP and frankly have GW2 the same, and more interesting features.

ESO need to present something fun it does really different from the rest if it want a huge hype. 

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

Love the Elder Scrolls series but still haven't seen a single gameplay video from TESO so can't really be too hyped.

Maybe when we get more stuff from it but now it's too early I belive.

Side note: to add to that above, if there is a video of gameplay please link :)

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Loke666

But ESOs most interesting feature is 3 faction PvP and frankly have GW2 the same,

...and both of those pale in comparison with Planetside 2 faction pvp.