Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Exclusive Preview

2»

Comments

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    It get kudos and credit becauae its a very good game. I could sit a tear apart every comment you nade. As another poster stated the game is not perfect but it definitely one of the best out. Just because you have some weird desire to bash it because people in whatever game you played left for it or you left to early and peolle left you behind.

I dont and will never understand why people need to pound their chest and make clueless cimments about a game. There was a poster that had fair criticism i seemed to have knowledge about the game that is fine. But people who are clearly clueless and continue to rant need to focus their time else where. Why do you care so much a lot of people enjoy and feel lotro is a great game?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by crazynanny
    Originally posted by Gaborik

People who say the character models are still and boring have never leveled up a character to max level, played in a dungeon or raid.  They just come on here to spew their hate for a very good game.  This game has a lot more then scenery and models.  People complain all day about newer games not having this or that, LOTRO has everything these people complain about.  From day cycles, player houseing, reason to explore, raids, dungeons, cosmetic clothes with tons of different dyes, 3 man instances, great crafting I can go on and on. 

(...)

These sites will never change, people will come on and post comments about games they have no clue about just because its not what they play.  They will make false claims and makes fools of themself.  People who play these games enjoy them and false claims and foolish comments wont stop them.

While some people are hating a game( and other people who like it) because they just didn't enjoy it, you are exactly opposite. LOTRO has some good and bad things as every game and yes you can notice them even after playing it for 4 years. My 4 cents:

• Player housing is poor and nearly dead(not developed/fixed anymore), nothing like for example one in eq.
    • Crafting is WoW style copy, both in terms of materials gathering and cratfting, hardly a thing you can call great.
    • There is no real reason to explore aside being curious and getting occasional title(but that's quite rare).
    • Cosmetic system is okay, dyeing is far inferior as you can't colour various parts of clothing. Colour pallette is good.
    • Dungeons and raids are solid and fun.
    • Mail system is poor and you can only send one item per mail, pushing you into cash shop where is shared storage.
    • Lootboxes are perfect example of usual F2P gamble box system with uber drops(low chance) and key again buayble in store(and as ~0.01% drop from mobs too).
    • PvP is poor, nearly forgotten and p2w(cash shop stuff that gives andvantage).
    • Story is good and so areas design is simply awesome.
    • AH is refined and good, but lacks more complex tools
    • Bag space is limited(compared to other MMOs where you have bigger bags) and again being sold in cash shop(in one form or another)
    • UI is okay but lacks solid add-ons and LUA support isn't good which makes that few existing add-ons quite buggy after game updates.
    Of course I could say much more, but it'd be too detailed stuff to make it informative. Surely I'm subjective as well, but I hope I made my point - LOTRO has it's pros and cons.

Player housing is dead in any game where it is in a separate instance including EQ2.  

Don't know what game you are playing, but crafting in Lotro is far far superior to Wow. Some of the best items in the game come from crafting, that is so not the case in Wow, crafting is almost useless in Wow, have to raid or pvp to get decent stuff.    At least it is far superior to the clutzy crafting methods in EQ2.

Have found lots of lootboxes and keys, never had to buy one from the store ever.

Pvp was never really an issue here, go play another game if you want pvp.

Bag space is big compared to some other games I have played and they are adding more in the expansion.   Really not an issue unless you are a collector of everything.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

As much as i like the genre and this game, i'm hesitant to actually get this expansion as the last one was so disappointing to me and wasn't worth the money i spent on it. I'll be keeping an eye on it but at this point im not holding my breath.

might wanna not use a lagtastic video to demonstrate the gameplay next time 7:45 the character pretty much flies back to the beginning camp sideways.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Easily the worst horses I've seen in any video game in the past 10 years.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    It get kudos and credit becauae its a very good game. I could sit a tear apart every comment you nade. As another poster stated the game is not perfect but it definitely one of the best out. Just because you have some weird desire to bash it because people in whatever game you played left for it or you left to early and peolle left you behind.

I dont and will never understand why people need to pound their chest and make clueless cimments about a game. There was a poster that had fair criticism i seemed to have knowledge about the game that is fine. But people who are clearly clueless and continue to rant need to focus their time else where. Why do you care so much a lot of people enjoy and feel lotro is a great game?

I've never understood why people take valid criticism so personally unless you're making the game.  The author made some comments and opinions and I disagree.  It's a discussion forum.  I have played the game for 4.5 years and I do know what I am talking about and I did support my reasons.  I didn't just say the game sucks and leave it at that.

Time for a bad analogy:  If I say a McDonald's Quarter Pounder is the best steak ever providing the best beef eating experience ever and a great deal at $30 a burger, then I'm sure some people will call me out.  It's the same with LotRO.  The author gave their opinion in an open discussion forum and I disagree.

I never called the author or you names, as you did me.  Why are you so defensive and hostile?  Please try and be civil.

My comment was a comment in general about people who come on these sites and bash/and  "T"( the word you cant say) just becuase its not what they play.  I in no way did I call anyone names, just expressed my opinion of some peoples knowledge of the game based on their comments.  

I can take valid criticism as some people who posted made.  Sorry I just feel the need to correct the ones who go a little over board, the people who have not played the game need to know the game is solid, alive and one of the better MMOs out right now.  That is why some people come on and call out the extreme bashers/haters.  

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Mounted combat is something rarely tried in a MMO.  I am looking forward to trying this out in Lotro, of course I need to get at least one of my avatar's to 75 first which of course means I have to spend a lot of time in Moria, ugh.

Exactly, Moria is what made me stop playing.  I an go back and play for free anytime with my 58 Burg as I already own the Lothrien expansion as well...but I just cant get past Moria....They need to add in the an alternate 50-60 area, where you go into the past and instead of moria you level up through the events of The Hobbit!!

I would much rather replay all the previous zones (with different quest and story that follows The Hobbit book) rather then play Moria ever again.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Player housing is dead in any game where it is in a separate instance including EQ2.  

Don't know what game you are playing, but crafting in Lotro is far far superior to Wow. Some of the best items in the game come from crafting, that is so not the case in Wow, crafting is almost useless in Wow, have to raid or pvp to get decent stuff.    At least it is far superior to the clutzy crafting methods in EQ2.

Have found lots of lootboxes and keys, never had to buy one from the store ever.

Pvp was never really an issue here, go play another game if you want pvp.

Bag space is big compared to some other games I have played and they are adding more in the expansion.   Really not an issue unless you are a collector of everything.

• No idea what you mean by dead, I meant it's not developed anymore(dead feature). And lotro uses hook system which is poor and makes houses(which are too small) rather bland. People only use them for extra storage.
    • Crafting superior? Not a single person who raids/do dungeons use crafted items. For starters everyone use Draigoh 4-set part and then add some raid pieces. Jewellery is from Limlight Gorge reputation and RoF tokens. Crafted items are for casuals or as starting equips before doing 3-mans. Which is exactly like in WoW. System also works like in WoW - gather 300 ore -> make 150 bars -> make 75 useless swords -> NPC them. Crit system was something different, but when crafting guilds appeared you have 100% chance now which makes non crit version trash.
    • So, you found lots of lootboxes and keys and that means what? That they can be found? I said so. But I also said how hard is to find key(several boxes per key on avg), unless you grind a lot of mobs/are extremely lucky. Everyone who play lotro knows that, everyone who plays game with cash shop and boxes knows that. You seem to be in denial here.
    • I wouldn't go so far as go play another game when it comes for pvp, but that say quite much about this feature state.
    • As for bags dunno what games you compare it to. Both WoW and Rift have far superior bag sizes(crafted). Lotro bag is 15 slots. WoW one is 24 if not bigger now(not mentioning crafting bags which are even bigger). Making alt character with it's own guild in WoW gives you 100s of guild bank slots for stuff. Lotro doesn't even have guild bank. Yeah there is extra bag in expansion but you have to pay 30$ extra for it. Later it'll be put in cash shop, so as I said they push bags space into cash shop. It's a big issue as you have to keep crafting materials, various tokens/cash shop items, regular set of equipment, not to mention usual stuff like potions/slaves(edit: hehe hobbits ;) - salves of course  )/food/scrolls and tokens. Not even mentioning fluff stuff like fireworks, festival items or drinks/pipeweed...
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by JeroKane

How so? EverQuest 2 had mounted combat since it launched back in 2004.

I always loved to fight with my Paladin from his white armored horse. :)

The poster said, rarely tried, not that it had never been tried before. Also, as someone who has played EQ2 extensively, I can honestly say that I do NOT consider that to be mounted combat - mounts in that game operate as little more than speed buff. It's basically the lower half of your body frozen to the mount while the upper half of your body does the exact same animation as if you weren't mounted. It's a visual effect, nothing more, whereas the mounted combat LotRO is doing has more substance.

Aren't you kinda splitting hairs and moving the goalpost here a bit?

JeroKane pointed out, accurately, that EQ2 has mounted combat. You're riding a mount, you're still able to fight, etc.  Ergo mounted combat.

Saying "well, yes, but you were really just frozen to your mount while the upper portion of you did the same thing you'd do on foot"....

Okay? And? Are people doing mounted combat supposed to be standing on the mount's back, doing hand-stands and backflips while fighting stuff? Juggling? Are we talking medieval fantasy combat here, or Cirque de Soleil?

Of course you're going to be sitting "frozen" to the mount. You're essentially riding hands free and so your lower body is keeping you from falling off.

You might not like EQ2's implementation of it, but it's still mounted combat.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by JeroKane

How so? EverQuest 2 had mounted combat since it launched back in 2004.

I always loved to fight with my Paladin from his white armored horse. :)

The poster said, rarely tried, not that it had never been tried before. Also, as someone who has played EQ2 extensively, I can honestly say that I do NOT consider that to be mounted combat - mounts in that game operate as little more than speed buff. It's basically the lower half of your body frozen to the mount while the upper half of your body does the exact same animation as if you weren't mounted. It's a visual effect, nothing more, whereas the mounted combat LotRO is doing has more substance.

Aren't you kinda splitting hairs and moving the goalpost here a bit?

JeroKane pointed out, accurately, that EQ2 has mounted combat. You're riding a mount, you're still able to fight, etc.  Ergo mounted combat.

Saying "well, yes, but you were really just frozen to your mount while the upper portion of you did the same thing you'd do on foot"....

Okay? And? Are people doing mounted combat supposed to be standing on the mount's back, doing hand-stands and backflips while fighting stuff? Juggling? Are we talking medieval fantasy combat here, or Cirque de Soleil?

Of course you're going to be sitting "frozen" to the mount. You're essentially riding hands free and so your lower body is keeping you from falling off.

You might not like EQ2's implementation of it, but it's still mounted combat.

http://asianhistory.about.com/od/profilesofasianleaders/p/AttilaProf.htm

They fought on horse back without standing on the mount's back or juggling. They were also fought while being mobile which allowed the hun's to conquer  most the ancient world. Damn, history is a bitch.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by crazynanny
    • Crafting superior? Not a single person who raids/do dungeons use crafted items. For starters everyone use Draigoh 4-set part and then add some raid pieces. Jewellery is from Limlight Gorge reputation and RoF tokens. 

Crafting is far from useless in the game. For once, you can't craft Second Ager or First Ager without being Westfold Master. (and then you get the Crafted Relics on them).

Then a lot of other items such as Fire Oils, Scrolls, etc. are available only via crafting and they are mandatory if you want to raid at higher levels. In fact, all serious Rading kins in fact have Westfold Master crafters in many specialties.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Another craptastic and surely overpriced Turbine xpac.

I have to call the author out on the claim that the warsteed handles like a large animal should.  It doesn't look like it handle at all like any animal.  I watched the video.  The horse glides to the side in a totally unrealistic fashion and does actually turn on a hairpin, especially compared to actual horseback riding.  When is the last time you've seen a horse skate across dirt?

And Flies?  Really?  67 levels later and the player is still fighting rehashed mob models in the form of flies.  From sickle flies at level 10 in the marshes outside of Bree to level 76 flies in Rohan?  How idiotic is that?  Flies that could kill the entire town of bree and lay waste to most of Eriador?  How much are they going to charge players to fight flies again?

This site doesn't criticize LOTRO for some reason.  I don't think any of their reviewers even have a level capped character.  All they care about is ensuring companies continue to advertise with them.  And so they just write fluff pieces 99% of the time.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by jedensuscg

Mounted combat is something rarely tried in a MMO.  I am looking forward to trying this out in Lotro, of course I need to get at least one of my avatar's to 75 first which of course means I have to spend a lot of time in Moria, ugh.

Exactly, Moria is what made me stop playing.  I an go back and play for free anytime with my 58 Burg as I already own the Lothrien expansion as well...but I just cant get past Moria....They need to add in the an alternate 50-60 area, where you go into the past and instead of moria you level up through the events of The Hobbit!!

I would much rather replay all the previous zones (with different quest and story that follows The Hobbit book) rather then play Moria ever again.

I didn't think Moria was worth making an entire expansion for, but things got a lot worse starting with the Mirkwood mini-expansion.  I only find one class in LOTRO worth playing, so I've never had to return to Moria though.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

My loremaster is around 54 or so am not too sure. I liked the game a lot but Moria hmm.....

Chamber of Chains
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

in Lord of the rings books the horses does not swim.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

If there is only real pvp btw evil and good i would play for sure and even pay sub but monster play is boring and i need that little pvp kick when i do pve

• sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54

Brain fail. [mod edit] So many games have mounted combat. Forsaken World has implemented mounted combat. Several thousand titles just came out where you ride mounts as a main combat tool. Argo online...etc..ETc...sigh