Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Troll or real?

Esquire1980Esquire1980 Stillwater, OKPosts: 529Member

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/17/swtor-executive-producer-leaves-bioware-new-layoffs-rumored/

Read down to the comment portion.  Auto (and a bunch of numbers) claims he works for BioWare and that he "heard in the halls" the reason for the closure of SWG.

Quote;

Also from what I have heard in the halls, Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA,EA suits ecouraged the new guy at LA to increase the licensing fee at renewal time. it was a move to remove any direct competiton to TOR.

End quote

I have no idea if this is on the up and up, but maybe, SOE should make a call over to LA and find out if their IP fees have went way down in the last couple of months.

Comments

• hipiaphipiap Chicago, ILPosts: 439Member

That poster may or may not actually work for Bioware/ToR team....but the simple fact is that most of the info isn't that hard to find.

And it also isn't a surprise either when you consider that the state of the game in BETA was a joke when you consider all the money they poured into it. And less than a year into Live they are talking F2P.

Everyone at this point knows that SW:G was shut down because Bioware didn't want any compitition with TOR....we just do not know if it was a refusal to re-license on LA's part or an increase of the License Fee that caused SOE to decide to not reup for another period of time. 

What it all boils down to is that LA and Bioware didn't want SW:G around at TOR launch time, and LA did something to convince SOE to shut down before the end of the Contract (I seem to recall the contract was actually scheduled to end June 2012).  And SOE announced it 6 months early....something they Never did with any other MMO they ran and shut down (Shut down announced June 2009 for August 1st 00:00 2009 for MxO).

Further proof? Vanguard numbers Blow....but it is still around with SOE and they Just took it F2P.

EQ and EQ2 have sub issues from time to time and they are still around and getting updates and the occasional expansion.

EQs last expansion was last November and EQ2 had one in December of 2011 as well.

There was no reason to shut SW:G down before the end of the Contract.  The player base would have grudgingly been able to accept a shutdown due to the end of the Contract in 2012.  But as we've seen with the Revamps of the SW Movies...LA and George is just about the Money now...not the fan base.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Esquire1980

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/17/swtor-executive-producer-leaves-bioware-new-layoffs-rumored/

Read down to the comment portion.  Auto (and a bunch of numbers) claims he works for BioWare and that he "heard in the halls" the reason for the closure of SWG.

Quote;

Also from what I have heard in the halls, Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA,EA suits ecouraged the new guy at LA to increase the licensing fee at renewal time. it was a move to remove any direct competiton to TOR.

End quote

I have no idea if this is on the up and up, but maybe, SOE should make a call over to LA and find out if their IP fees have went way down in the last couple of months.

Every game that was out there when this game was released was direct competition...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common

SWTOR doesnt need competition to shoot itself in the face

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• HellCasterHellCaster Kansas City, KSPosts: 201Member
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

^^ This (unfortunately)

Playing: GW2 & Robocraft

• KyngBillsKyngBills Charlotte, NCPosts: 449Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Esquire1980

Quote;

End quote

Every game that was out there when this game was released was direct competition...

Exactly...

And the multi-hundred million dollar project being worried about the little under-50K-Subs-nitche-game is a complete joke...if true of course...But I don't put this behind-the-scenes-maneuvering beyond EA's capability...And again, if true, it makes me a little sick...And I quit SWG LONG before the shut-down...Still...

I think when you read Smed's quotes on the shut-down announcement it actually makes sense that LA tried to up the fee...Reading between the lines a bit admittedly...But still...I can't imagine a Company that still offers EQ, EQ II, and Vanguard wanted to shut SWG down...Makes no sense unless they really had no choice financially...Who knows...image

• KyngBillsKyngBills Charlotte, NCPosts: 449Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Yep...image

• NildenNilden null, NBPosts: 1,284Member Uncommon

I always considered it an obvious fact that SWG got shutdown for SWTOR.

How to post links.

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer