Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reason a WOW player should buy GW2?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I do not plan on quitting WOW so I'm thinking why to spend the extra $.

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Kopogero

If you are happy with WoW, having fun all day long, then don't.

If you want a different experience, from how combat works, to how quests works (mostly removing all the annoyances associated) and want a living world where people actually play together (in open world, even during the easiest of the quests) and the undead are a threat because they are overruning the sylvari tower in the spiral and killing everyone around instead of a cardbox scenario world where stuff don't actually happen (most of the time), then give it a shot.

PvP and WvW are crazy fun.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

The same reason you should buy EVE and probably shouldn't buy Rift.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

In GW2 you don't Queue for anything at all. You play what you want, not what others think you should play.

There is no LFG...Wherever you go...there you are.:)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Do you ask "why should i buy x" for any game? If yes, well, there are enough threads like this.

If not, why do you ask it for GW 2? Just decide whether you want to buy it or not like with every other game.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

No reason whatsoever, keep playing WoW.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

People still play WoW?

Anyways that asside, I'd have to say its really all personal preference. The game by far isn't a walk in the park like WoW, and at the same times its not as difficult in terms of combat at Tera. Its more twitch combat then anything else. 

I'm not a WoW player (quit it a while back) but considering rift is similiar (minus having more content to play with then WoW and having PA and stuff to work for ^^;; )) it might be lack luster in terms of not really 'progressing' like raids, though considering WoW doesn't really focus all that much on gear (trivializes it mostly) I don't think it will be a huge issue for you.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

For the same reason, people watch movies they've never seen before or read books they've never read before: a new experience  . 

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Wait to play it. Try a trial when it comes along.

I mean sitting on 60 bucks isn't a bad decision if you're doing something else.

But I'd imagine having a MMORPG with good pvp sitting around for patch days / hiding from annoying guildie days that doesn't tick a monthly fee off is reason enough.

a yo ho ho

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

If you need to ask then you shouldn't switch. You must be happy. :) 

Personally I still have a WoW, and Rift account active and will be playing GW2 also. I'm have an advantage over many people though, I'm retired and have lots of time to adventure. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Think of it like this.

Right now your drinking bud light. you like bud light and thats great keep drinking it.  But every once in awhile its nice to buy a 12 pack of new castle and enjoy somthing better.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Think of it like this.

Right now your drinking bud light. you like bud light and thats great keep drinking it.  But every once in awhile its nice to buy a 12 pack of new castle and enjoy somthing better.

Oh my nice analogy. I wish I still drank and I would toast that! :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

What is WoW?

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

You're not having fun in WoW. It just keeps you busy. New games always offer a fresh taste of fun, so that's already a big reason. You can always go back to your favorite pass time in WoW.

But you may also prefer GW2. So not only will you have the initial fun from GW2, but it may also give you more options later on.

There you go, 2 reasons!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

If you're playing WoW and having fun then the only reason is because it has no sub fee so it would be a nice game to play between your schedualed raid runs.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Jonoku

What is WoW?

Women of Wrestling.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

[mod edit]

If you're expecting high-quality graphics, forget it.  There are barriers to a fluid "massive" PvP battle, and graphical quality when trying to render a large amount of characters and effects is one of them.  GW2 isn't a bad looking game at all, but it definitely doesn't look "Next Gen".

If you're an impatient, "gotta have it now" kind of person that doesn't want to have to deal with quests and experience grinding to access more potent/better skills, forget it.  GW2 just offers a slightly different take on that system, but you're still distributing points on a grid in a sub-menu.  Unlocking some of your base weapon skills is easy, and it flows relatively fast if you stick around a starting area and melt faces while you unlock new skills, but there are a lot of advanced skills and traits that you're going to have to work towards like any other MMO.

If you're looking for an in-depth crafting system, the crafting system in GW2 might be a step up, but the cost effectiveness of trying to level your crafting is geared towards you losing patience and buy gems to exchange for gold on the cash shop.  Let's face it, instant gratification is going to cost you.  If you have patience, you can probably avoid this for the most part... maybe.

Anything you want to accomplish in GW2 is going to take patience, and you're going to have to do some sort of grind in order to achieve it and stay afloat "financially" in-game.  Otherwise, there's always the cash shop [mod edit]

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

World of Warcraft will soon feature pandas. Case closed! image

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

[mod edit]

If you're expecting high-quality graphics, forget it.  There are barriers to a fluid "massive" PvP battle, and graphical quality when trying to render a large amount of characters and effects is one of them.  GW2 isn't a bad looking game at all, but it definitely doesn't look "Next Gen".

If you're an impatient, "gotta have it now" kind of person that doesn't want to have to deal with quests and experience grinding to access more potent/better skills, forget it.  GW2 just offers a slightly different take on that system, but you're still distributing points on a grid in a sub-menu.  Unlocking some of your base weapon skills is easy, and it flows relatively fast if you stick around a starting area and melt faces while you unlock new skills, but there are a lot of advanced skills and traits that you're going to have to work towards like any other MMO.

If you're looking for an in-depth crafting system, the crafting system in GW2 might be a step up, but the cost effectiveness of trying to level your crafting is geared towards you losing patience and buy gems to exchange for gold on the cash shop.  Let's face it, instant gratification is going to cost you.  If you have patience, you can probably avoid this for the most part... maybe.

Anything you want to accomplish in GW2 is going to take patience, and you're going to have to do some sort of grind in order to achieve it and stay afloat "financially" in-game.  Otherwise, there's always the cash shop [mod edit]

You can test all of you character skills at level 1. You can craft at almost no cost.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

GW2 has Tibetan monk PolarBear people.....

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

No sub fee, so you can still sub to WoW and when you want a break from that, play GW2. What i like about the game is that it don't feel like i am questing, but more apart of something. DE's are so fun, it could be you and two others against a boss and you think your not gonna pull it off, then others randomly show up to help. If anything, it's worth the cost to buy it, just play at your own pace, when you want to.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

An MMO is a hobby.  If you're happy with your current MMO, there's no reason to switch to any other game.  

That said, when you do get tired of WoW, which IS inevitable (nobody will play it forever), I do recommend giving GW2 a try.  As someone who called WoW my home from vanilla through WotlK, I can confidently say now I've found my new long term MMO home in GW2.  

• jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

GW2 has Tibetan monk PolarBear people.....

The Kodan look badass. They would wipe the floor with the pandas image

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Nope, not a single reason. It's just another one of these overhyped solo mmos.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Think for yourself and make a decision.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

Nope, not a single reason. It's just another one of these overhyped solo mmos.

You could stand to post something a litle more informative than just this you know.