Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Review in Progress - Part Three

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Combat and Animations in TSW:
    The only thing that i allways find looking a bit weird is jumping.
    The jumping animation is sort of disconnected to the game and looks artificial.

I have absolut no problem with the combat and animations at all.
    In fact, when i played my Dungeon-Tour with my friends yesterday in WOW i found that WOW feels unresponsive, slow, static, has weird animations that more fit into a Loony Tunes show than a MMORPG.

To me it looks that the comic like animations of other mmorpgs have make people become used to it and now a more "normal" approach looks foreign to them.

Buttonwise i use as much skills as i usually use in WOW - you dont need more than 7 per encounter and it increases the need for combat preparation.

Where i feel the need for some change is to have a consumables/auxiliary weapon hotkey/hotbar - that is bcs i do not like to click any ability with my mouse, i want a hotkey for it.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I am amazed at how many players do not know this:

Save up a ton of AP, head to training room in your major city, train skills like mad and test differing combo's, untrain them all before leaving or keep the ones you are sure you like.

Pretty simple really. Granted there is no reactionary responses from the dummies so I hope that changes eventually.

You stay sassy!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

TSW already has 29 critic reviews on Metacritic, with a score of *71*.

You have to wonder why we are still getting a 'Review in Progress'? This sort of hype review, drip fed to us, keeping the games name in the articles section, is now the default method MMORPG.com 'review' any big name MMO, Yes they may mention a problem or two, but they are always minor amongst praise for the rest of the game.

When we do get a score, somehow I think it will be over 71 as they always are in the 80's, which is by total coincidence the bench mark score that gaming companies regard a game as a success.

• UnitAkiraUnitAkira Member UncommonPosts: 25

I dont like the way i am forced to change skills / weapon .. yes i like the fact that if i want to be a meth infused spinning mass of sword play i can or dishing out hammer time etc.  but messing around with a build just for one quest gets to me ,finally i have something that seems to work all round. As for the social side well for instances, it seems to take so long to find a party. thanks to an over whelming amount of hipster elitist dungeon nazi's. They boot players whom its their first time in a dungeon or slightly geared the wrong way and they are many .. i was in a party where this happened a few times. I simply left the party from guilt. how is anyone meant to get a chance in a dungeon if this is the growing atittude. One big thing that gets me is the world.. cars etc etc so many things in the world you can not interact with .. crashed car cool ,a few tanks in a room of vampires, hell why cant i use the tank to blow a few away lol  i guess using the rifle keeps me thinking im in BF3 lol

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

@Scot and TSW has a metacritic user score of 8.5/10 from over 500 users. TSW might take some time to get into and that might be why the critic reviews are worse than the user reviews.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

@Scot and TSW has a metacritic user score of 8.5/10 from over 500 users. TSW might take some time to get into and that might be why the critic reviews are worse than the user reviews.

I think you're probably right there, to get a proper understanding of the game you really need to play it far more than other more standard form MMO's, this is why I like the review in stages that MMORPG has been doing.  

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I made a thread about the resurrection, or lack of, option. I can understand their thinking but I still think having a rez option, even if it was a 30 min cool down, would give players a chance to get back into it but knowing that another rez isn't coming.

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

We have talked about this, in many threads before .. TSW is a great game that´s fully worth playing, however, it is not the revolution that will save the genre and get 8s and 9s in reviews. Many major sites have already given their rate and it is always around 7-7.5 .. the same for the Metacritic Score ..

Gamespot: 7.5 

Gamespy ( powered by IGN ): 3.5/5, which is a kinda of 7/10

eurogamer: 7/10

GT: 7.3

Metacritic Score: 71 [ 7.1/10 ] ..

The media is rating the game as a 7 game in other words, which is a kinda good score in my opinion. I can´t really see the game reaching anywhere near 9 and and an 8 would have been good if the game didn´t come with all these bugs and lack in some concepts. 

PS. To the guy talking about user score, it is fully the opposite .. the users just think of their playing-time right now and that´s why the game is getting high score, because it is good and also new. Critics on the other hand rate different aspects of the game, not only how great it is playing right now. TSW is a really great game however, the story and the big missions are the two biggest things, which will be done sooner or later. When these are done, the game lack in many different aspects and there are many games out in the market nowadays that offer better end-game experience, combat and content other than story.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by s1fu71

None of the problems mentioned bothered me at all, except the ability wheel. Yes, you definitely get penalized by a poor choice or combo. You really do have to read about your choices carefully. While they boast of so many possible combinations for skills and abilities, it's a little misleading. There really are many combinations. But, not all of those combinations are necessarily optimal / valid.

Here's the thing though, "optimal/valid" is really in the eye of the beholder up to a point. Valid is especially so. For some people - many people, really - it's more about "which build is going to be the most fun for me to play", or at the least "what's the best build I can put together that will be effective, but that I'll still enjoy playing".

Not everyone has "Optimal" as Priority 1 when building out a character, in any game. Many people have "Will Enjoy This Playstyle" up there, with "optimal" being several spots below that in rank of importance.

Now, I know a common response to that is: "Well if they want to get into raids and succeed, they need those optimal builds". No they don't. They need a build sufficient to do the job.

Typically, there's a lot of wiggle room between "sufficient" and "optimal". People demand "optimal" in their groups. The game doesn't. Personally, I think the people who require "optimal" in everything aren't as good at the game as they like to believe. "Optimal" is a crutch for them. I think it's the people who can take the "less-than-optimal" builds - ones they play for enjoyment, rather than a sense of obligation - and still succeed who really know the game better.

They're the experimenters and the "what if I did this..." people who are testing and learning the ins-and-outs of different combinations. The "optimal" types are forever playing the game on a "by the numbers" basis, following cookie-cutter templates to the letter. It's no wonder so many of them are burnt out and bitter when they finally reached their limit and are ready to quit.

I've never been an "optimal" type, and I've always done just fine. Did I accomplish things with "the optimal group" in "the optimal way"? Nope. But then, considering all the condescension and insults I received from "that group" for "not playing the game right", I never wanted to anyway. I play a game to have fun, not to treat it like a "serious business" job.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Her point was somehow nerfing yourself early in the game.  This doesn't include 350+ AP builds.. it's ones that have very few AP that you can easily store and test... or testing ONE ability you aren't sure about, which is mostly what she's talking about.

We can agree that her point was about "nerfing yourself early in the game".  And in this case, I think we can also take "nerfing" to mean "making a build you hate".  

I'll give you an actual example... when the game launched, i had a build all planned out that was based on Frenzy and included the ability "Leeching Frenzy" that is a Branch 6, outer wheel ability.     After approx 10 days of play, i finally got that ability and found it completely useless.  At the time that i got it, approximately 50% of the total APs i had were invested in getting that 1 ability.  Which means that I was now using only 50% of my total APs.     At endgame, this makes no difference at all since you're gettting APs superfast and you have tons of other abilities to draw from.    

Now, I sucked it up and went out and over the next week, I made more than enough APs to go down a different line and get a better ability choice for my deck.  So yeah, I wasn't "gimped forever" or anything, nor did it prevent me from progressing.

But... for a new game.. being 2 weeks in and in effect "losing" 50% of your made progress because you made a bad choice due to not knowing the intricacies of the game's mechanics... well, I don't think it's particularly good for the game and i think it will frustrate many casual players to the point of leaving.  Having a "once a month" respec would address this issue and I really don't see what possible harm it would do to the game.   

The (limited) respec option is more needed to help newbies that aren't intimately familiar with the game, the skills and the system.  It's not really needed to help experienced players.  

It can even be a "single" respec that you get when you hit 200 total AP and then 500 total AP.   So limited to early game. 

Either that or they can improve the training room to allow you to test full decks and to have real mobs that are similar to endgame mobs.  because, by god, I pity the person that spends 1000 APs making an Inflict/Hinder based deck and gets to endgame to find out that every one of their high AP abilities is completely useless.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by nGumbei

PS. To the guy talking about user score, it is fully the opposite .. the users just think of their playing-time right now and that´s why the game is getting high score, because it is good and also new. Critics on the other hand rate different aspects of the game, not only how great it is playing right now. TSW is a really great game however, the story and the big missions are the two biggest things, which will be done sooner or later. When these are done, the game lack in many different aspects and there are many games out in the market nowadays that offer better end-game experience, combat and content other than story.

So, you think the metacritic review score of games like SWTOR http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic which got 85 are more representative for the game than the user score of 5.6?

Players usually play a LOT more than the reviewers, which is probably why SWTOR got the lousy user score and good critic score.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

To use metacritic you have to read between the lines. I am not going to tell you how to do that here; I don't think it’s very good at gauging MMO's anyway. I do think its shows we could have a proper review by now on MMORPG.com.

I don't quite understand your last sentence, but if you are saying you think the review from this site is going to be good, I do agree. So far they have done a good job of highlighting positive and negative sides of the game.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    Originally posted by nGumbei

So, you think the metacritic review score of games like SWTOR http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic which got 85 are more representative for the game than the user score of 5.6?

Players usually play a LOT more than the reviewers, which is probably why SWTOR got the lousy user score and good critic score.

This is basicly it above.  If anything the Secrect World has an extremely low critic score becauses its not a big name developer the way Blizzard or Bioware is.  When player score > critic score you almost always have a winner ...... the opposite well.... anyone hear played SWTOR lol ;)   

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Ok, they're trying to spin that the combat isn't  freaking TERRIBLE...

No hope for this review..

• ErowErow Member Posts: 14

I agree about the need for respec.  It took me awhile to find a build that I enjoyed, and I had spent a lot of skill points before i found it.  I decided to start another character just so I could concentrate my skill points in my chosen build.  Of course that meant I had to go through much of the content I had already completed, turning the game into a grind at the early areas.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Squiggie

If Funcom was smart, they'd make a respec a RMT. 

Charge $2-5 for it in the cash shop and make it have a 2-week cooldown.

A good way for them to get more money from lifers like me. :)

The muinute repec is offered the game is dead.

It takes little time to accumulate points, when building up skill combos one at a time it becomes obvious fast what not to do. The best suggestion is try a few of the decks provided to build against and then experiment.

You can also take the decks from all three factions which is more than enough builds to play with !! People are looking for problems that dont exist.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by zellmer

The game is great ....... No hope for you.

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

From my experience as long as you try finding the more optional quests and possibly add a little bit of pvp you have plenty of ability points to make a few 'wrong decisions' in the early game. If you simply move to the next zone once you have the gear level or finished the main plot - I assume there is much less room for experimentation. By the time you finished at least the inner wheel for two weapons you should have some idea of what weapons / play style you like best and some idea how skills synergize and build at least a working (if not optimal) deck on your own.

The fact that there is no respec and no resurection mechanic fits better the intended game pace imho similar to the limited number of quests and the above average difficulty. There are games that have perfectly streamlined gameplay and I enjoy those games too, but I wouldn't want TSW to go down that route. In those games I enjoyed leveling fast and efficient, yet I'm happy that I have no such urge in TSW.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I'm quite a sceptic when it comes to MMORPGs in general. I'm definetly a critic of TSW and anyone who saw any of my posts on the forums knows its hard to please me. However I actually consider extending my sub beyond the first "free" month. I enjoy the setting, atmohsphere and the art style. The deck building is fun, even I still dislike the 7 & 7 skills limitation. The animation could use some work, especially when it comes to the variety of them and the awkard movement animations while circle strafing with some weapons. The engine itself could use some optimalisation, but overall I'm having fun which I couldn't say about the few MMo titles I happened to play.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Isane
    Originally posted by zellmer

The game is great ....... No hope for you.

lol, I noticed that you like the game, but I also noticed that you didn't refute his claim that the combat is terrible.

• spider0987spider0987 Member Posts: 3

I do not see what the big deal is with a respec I mean you can just get some more sp to spec up if u make a mistake.  I have made a good few mistakes and felt totally gimped but with effort got those things right.  Its time to start reading up on the descirptions and what abilities do and to stop expecting to be spoon fed through the whole process.

• spider0987spider0987 Member Posts: 3

I do not see what the big deal is with a respec I mean you can just get some more sp to spec up if u make a mistake.  I have made a good few mistakes and felt totally gimped but with effort got those things right.  Its time to start reading up on the descirptions and what abilities do and to stop expecting to be spoon fed through the whole process.

• Ash23NeuroAsh23Neuro Member Posts: 13

Respec? No needed at all. Before I finished Blue Mountain I've completed Mercenary deck. A friend of mine said that fists were awesome so I decided to try them. I've spent many points just to try them and realizing they are not as good as I would need for PvP so I started to develop hammer during questing in Egypt. APs flow as water, no problem with SP either. Speced QL 10 elementalism, assault rifle, fists, hammers and I'm still in the midle of forth zone.

I spend a lot of time for playing but I dont rush. I waited 5 yeares for this game and now I enjoy it. I realy dont think like doing whole content in one month is good idea. I've got time, subed for life yesterday :).

We do elite dungeons with cabalist, pvp, hard quests. Good guild is very important. I play on RP dimenssion but there is very little RP going one. At last personal culture and maturity are higher.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

I would disagre with the respec option: it is part of the game.  You will eventually get all skills anyway.  Earn more points, they come quickly enough.  People just dont want to work for things anymore, it makes me sad.