Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Bootcamp Exclusive Preview

2»

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Does no one know what the word exclusive means anymore? I guess not since this was "exclusive".....with other media.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

i really hope PS2 doesn't have some stupid ridiculous requirements. the game looks beautiful and id really rather not upgrade yet again since i just recently did.

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

I feel reluctantly bummed. Well, Mildly so. I feel like others have posted in that I'm not a fan at all of the hard locked classes. It looks more like a "if you wear this armor, you are expected to perform this role" thing which harkens back to the first game, but the lockouts on gear are a bummer.

It appeared from other videos that they were going the Free to Play route that League of Legends employs in that only the basic stuff is available for a new player, and better gear / weapons / ammo types and more were unlocked by earning points in play. People wishing to spend money could do so to cut to the chase in having certain choices unlocked early.

I was all cool with that but eh... the classes. I'll try not to hate too hard as they're allowing modular weapons / options on vehicles to perform different roles, which is something the previous game lacked. You get some cool stuff with the new game, but some steps taken backwards as well with player customization I guess.

I'll still play it for certain. Free is free. Especially since they pledged to watchdog the hell out of hacks / cheats.

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138

I can't wait to play this game :D

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Gotta say, it's starting to look real good. PS was pretty solid for its time too.
  • CrashsplashCrashsplash Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Deathwing980

Not too happy to see specific class known as engineer and medic, i liked it when you had just 5 types of armors but could equip specific weapons to them and yet still take the role of the medic or engineer if you had to..

This feels more like Battlefield 3 than it does the true Planetside, but not having played beta yet i have to hold my condeming speech until i have played the game.

tbh, there is quite a few things that disturb me. However, there is another side to the coin; firstly I didn't expect new planetside to be the same as old planetside - the devs are looking towards a much larger player base and tbh old planetside was fantastic but not purfect, second one of the thing they have to do is game the game more accessible for new players and I~ guess that is the specific reason behind classes.

With the game now being ftp, it's very important to get large numbers into the game and in my opinion that is the driving motivation behind most of their changes.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Looks amazing.

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

This  guy is fucking GARBAGE at the game,  bunny hopping,  calling Max mechwarrior.   is he  drunk or just stupid? 

It..Burns..

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

Ok, game looks good...however, everything seems just like PS1...I mean I was expecting a lot more new stuff...at least something that doesn't make me feel like I'm still playing PS1...from the looks of these vids, I saw nothing to get excited about.

However, it has been a few years since I last played PS and maybe these vids just didn't show enough of everything that makes PS2 a better upgrade to PS1...I hope there is more, otherwise it just seems like a few cosmetic and engine upgrades...kind of like taking a nintendo game and upgrading it to play on xbox or something LOL....ok, I'm exaggerating but still, I didn't get excited one bit from what I saw because it all reminds me of the original in everyway...so nothing new really stands out in terms of gameplay.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Hanging out to try the Beta.
  • LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

a game from SOE being F2P lol.. yeah right.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Everyone is jumping for joy when they see a MMO is free to play.  Unfortunately, the only ones to see these "free" games are not really free are gaming veterans.

A free-to-play game such as this one will give you all the basic stuff which everyone gets anyway. And it's cool, you play and you level up. But at higher levels you'll see items you want or need in order to keep up with the rest of the population, but now you need to pay real cash to get them. The game will continue adding more and more items and each one will cost you.

Bottom line:  You either kick up cash or you stay behind.

To make it short, "free" playing games will cost you a lot more real life money in order to compete then the usual $16 a monthly fee you would of normally paid.

Free games? Hardly.

I'm not putting this game down, but if it's anything like the original PS, it'll be another mindless game where everyone is running amok shooting everything in sight completely uncoordinated.

Shooting like a madman and dying , rinse and repeat without any real strategy invovled.

After all, it's a game by SoE. Worse gaming company , ever.

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71

The devs have stated that the game is entirely free to play. All content is available to EVERY PLAYER. If you go f2p, you have access to everything but some side-grades as they call them. These side grades are just different in their utility over other weapons. They don't add power or anything.

From everything I've heard/read they do not want to restrict players by content, so you will never have to buy an expansion for PlanetSide 2. This is because the players ARE the content. They have stated that having f2p members improves the game for those players and paying players alike.

They've also stated that they are restricting it to 20% power improvement from fresh players to max certed players. Iirc, this power improvement is mostly due to utility. They can react to more situations than a player just starting out.

Do not fear f2p for PlanetSide 2. Do not compare it to an MMO with NPC's. Players are content and keeping a high population is paramount to keeping a happy paying playerbase. The devs for this game are very vocal about what they are doing and Matt Higby is always on twitter and doing interviews. Tons of info out there, if you take some time to watch the vids and read up. The videos and interviews spans hours, so have lots of time on your hands to hear/see them all.