Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I cannot help but notice this slope going on. Could this be the deal breaker for Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• SlavojZizekSlavojZizek Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Istavaan

The people saying guild wars 2 is "pay2win" won't be playing the game anyway, so you shouldn't be worrying about it. let those of us who will be playing the game enjoy it for what it is.

Excellent idea, so I was right all along it simply reproduces the capitalist accumulation of wealth system, only those who have the dollar can shine in the glory. You pay to succeed. I think the lobbyists in the White House know all about this greed inspired agenda.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by grapevine
    As long as they don't take it to the next level like they did with GW1 (ie. skill packs), then it should be fine.

Just wait. 

Ive yet to see a game cash shop that "downgrades" its greedyness, but the opposite became common ground and is not out of the realms of reason for it to be expected.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by SlavojZizek

The people saying guild wars 2 is "pay2win" won't be playing the game anyway, so you shouldn't be worrying about it. let those of us who will be playing the game enjoy it for what it is.

Excellent idea, so I was right all along it simply reproduces the capitalist accumulation of wealth system, only those who have the dollar can shine in the glory. You pay to succeed. I think the lobbyists in the White House know all about this greed inspired agenda.

I think what he means is that the majority of players who will be buying the game don't think it is pay to win and think that you lot are crazy tin foil hat wearers.

I played GW1 for 7 years without ever spending a single dollar in the cash shop. This included high-ranked PvP. There is nothing to purchase that will make you better in any way shape or form than another player.

The people saying that buying in game currency is 'winning' are really grasping at straws with the GW2 hate train. Siege stuff costs next to nothing at end game, and having money wont get you better (in terms of stats, not appearance) armor than anyone else.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

And the issue with the accumulation of wealth is? What is a touch amusing about the whole anti wall street, anti capitalism, anti consumerism movement, is that it is full of people banging on about it into their iphones/ipads and onto a forum about a consumer product - games.

"I wish that dear Karl could have spent more time acquiring capital instead of merely writing about it." --Jenny Marx

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by MoonBeans

I've seen worse.  TSW comes to mind.    there you have a B2P, then a Month Sub Fee, and a cash shop.

Yeah cause a standard model with a cash shop that offers cosmetic items only is a lot worse than a game with a cash shop that gives people an advantage... You may hate the sub fee, which is fine... but you can't compare the two.

If you had even remotely thought it out, instead of just blind fanboism you would have realized that WoWs cash shop would of been a much better comparison since you can actually buy things that affect the gameplay. Even then not so much.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by botrytis

I guess people don't remember the first 3 or 4 years of GvG in GW1. There were 1 million dollar prize tournaments. So yeas, they do eSPORTS.

I don't think a lot of people on these forums actually played GW so there's nothing for them to remember. When GW1 fans were preaching about how skill should matter more than gear and that it's all about an equal level PvP, most MMOers were "lol GW1 , goes back to playing WoW/EQ etc.". Now 7 years later they are preaching what GW1 players realised so long ago :D

Exactly. Its also why they are having such a hard time realising that you can have a cash shop without Pay to Win, since they never bothered with the original GW to see how it worked.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by k-damage

The thing is : I don't f*cking care, really.

Game is solid, fun, I don't care if the driver next to me has bought a NOS booster, a carbon hood or fancy neon under his car, as long as I enjoy my ride.

And people should do the same. They would live a happier life.

Yeah you won't care until you are left alone to your ride as everyone else speeds past. That road you were riding on is suddenly a lonely one. No one else will want to travel with you because you can't keep up. And when you get to those car meets to show off your ride... no one else will hang with you. Because you again, can't keep up. They'll be in a different league.

Now if you were playing a solo-centric mmo and it was frickin solid... no worries. 

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by k-damage

The thing is : I don't f*cking care, really.

Game is solid, fun, I don't care if the driver next to me has bought a NOS booster, a carbon hood or fancy neon under his car, as long as I enjoy my ride.

And people should do the same. They would live a happier life.

Yeah you won't care until you are left alone to your ride as everyone else speeds past. That road you were riding on is suddenly a lonely one. No one else will want to travel with you because you can't keep up. And when you get to those car meets to show off your ride... no one else will hang with you. Because you again, can't keep up. They'll be in a different league.

Now if you were playing a solo-centric mmo and it was frickin solid... no worries. 

why is it a lonely one when players get deleveled when going into a lower level zone?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Rarely does the average message tell you ahead of time which fallacy the author intends to present, in the title.

Correct, and it was a fine slippery slope indeed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Grahor

There is only one pay-2-win definition: shop-purchased items are making the player more poverful in PvP, while same level of power is unachievable to non-paying player without considerable grind.

If there is no such thing, then it's not Pay-2-Win.

That's all, thankyouverymuch for reading and, obviously, not understanding.

EXACTLY.  Finally someone posts a good definition of pay to win. I would probably change the last sentence to  "unachieveable to non-paying players" period.  Either way, I don't believe that GW2 is p2w.....at least not at THIS point.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Interesting
    Originally posted by sapheroith

Everything you get in the game, YOU HAVE TO EARN IT.

EARN IT INSIDE THE GAME. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

Well said. Everything in GW2's cash shop, you can earn it ingame.

And

EARN IT ONLY INSIDE THE GAME.

Everyone starting from zero, with no external influences.

Name me a game that does that.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think what he means is that the majority of players who will be buying the game don't think it is pay to win and think that you lot are crazy tin foil hat wearers.

I played GW1 for 7 years without ever spending a single dollar in the cash shop. This included high-ranked PvP. There is nothing to purchase that will make you better in any way shape or form than another player.

The people saying that buying in game currency is 'winning' are really grasping at straws with the GW2 hate train. Siege stuff costs next to nothing at end game, and having money wont get you better (in terms of stats, not appearance) armor than anyone else.

¨gw1 skill packs¨, i just gonna say that. Did you know guys that Anet and NCsoft want to make money?, people is talking here like if Anet are all saints who dont really want a cash shop or people spending money on it, they have boost even for epic drops!, we still dont know how hard will be to get some good gear at endgame, but at least u are really a lucky guy, the player who spend more money on boost will be geared faster than you.  But is ok since gw2 is B2P the game can have 200k players after the 1st month and nobady will notice it, however the WvWvW could be a problem, without  people is just doorwars 2.0 and we wont have full servers for the eternity.  

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Everything you get in the game, YOU HAVE TO EARN IT.

EARN IT INSIDE THE GAME. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

Well said. Everything in GW2's cash shop, you can earn it ingame.

And

EARN IT ONLY INSIDE THE GAME.

Everyone starting from zero, with no external influences.

Name me a game that does that.

Ultima Online, from Origins, designed by Richard Garriot over a decade ago. You might have heard of it.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think it depends on what you consider "pay to win", that's the line. When things ate only available via the cash shop that give you a direct advantage that is pay to win.

I know the xp buffs are the most controversial, especially in PvP. Fact is you still have to gain your levels and how much time are you saving yourself to get a full set of weapon abilities and traits? Level 30 is what you need to fill those out, how long would it take with no buff?

Even then what are the "scale up" mechanics? Does it scale the "secondary" stats of your gear evenly or take it strait across leaving a level 80, with level 80 gear, at a bigger advantage.

I won't be PvP for a while after launch but these are the questions I would ask. If they can correctly balance stats there should not be a pay to win aspect on the xp boosts.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Remember this is STILL beta, and Anet has been listening VERY closely to its player base.

Honestly to fix the problems with the WvW being B2W ALL they need to do is remove the ability to sell your gems for in game cash from the game.

If you remove this feature then players would not be able to generate tons of fast gold and be able to totally dominate early WvW.

Maybe not even remove it completely just disable it for the first month.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by just1opinion

There is only one pay-2-win definition: shop-purchased items are making the player more poverful in PvP, while same level of power is unachievable to non-paying player without considerable grind.

EXACTLY.  Finally someone posts a good definition of pay to win. I would probably change the last sentence to  "unachieveable to non-paying players" period.  Either way, I don't believe that GW2 is p2w.....at least not at THIS point.

How exactly would you apply this defintion to experience booster, even self resurrection items, anything which speeds a player along towards the higher levels?

While not directly imparting a PVP advantage, in most titles higher level = much greater power, so some folks feel they are just as imbalancing.

I've heard in GW2 this isn't an issue because everyone in level 80 in PVP, but I wonder, does a level 10 raised to 80 have access to the same skills/abilities/spells/gear as a true level 80?  I'm thinking the answer is no and if so, there is a bit of P2W going on even in GW2.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

How exactly would you apply this defintion to experience booster, even self resurrection items, anything which speeds a player along towards the higher levels?

While not directly imparting a PVP advantage, in most titles higher level = much greater power, so some folks feel they are just as imbalancing.

I've heard in GW2 this isn't an issue because everyone in level 80 in PVP, but I wonder, does a level 10 raised to 80 have access to the same skills/abilities/spells/gear as a true level 80?  I'm thinking the answer is no and if so, there is a bit of P2W going on even in GW2.

of course someone who is a level 10 raised to 80 wont have all the skills a real level 80 would have..it would be stupid to if think that would be the case. im still not seeing your p2w.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kyleran

As far as leveling goes, in GW2's traditional leveling system, 1 level = more power. People can say they don't care, but it is what it is.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

i better go buy an experience booster pack because that means im winning, yay.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Where do people draw the line at? I mean, I was looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as the next person. How ever this same thing was present with Blizzard and World of Warcraft. Some thing I didn't like then and especially now since I saw the direction it was heading.

Where are people going to put their foot down for Guild Wars 2 or will they keep making excuses whilst they keep taking advantage of milking players for every dollar they can get?

TL;DR: 

Buy to play -> Cosmetic item cash shop -> gems -> Time-saving items -> (What next?)

Fans of the game are not going to put their foot down, since they like the game so much - if they were going to, they would have done it at the point where we could buy gold for RL cash. I was also very excited about GW2 until the cash shop info arrived - and I do wish I was able to rationalize it away and buy the game (since the game itself isn't bad), but I just can't. 

As it stands, most of the fans seem to be redefining P2W every time something unsavoury is added to the cash shop - which is sad, because other companies will see that it's apparently okay and we'll be getting more cash shops like this in the future. 

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

There is nothing that's pay to win in the gem shop, deal with it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by minttunator
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Where do people draw the line at? I mean, I was looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as the next person. How ever this same thing was present with Blizzard and World of Warcraft. Some thing I didn't like then and especially now since I saw the direction it was heading.

Where are people going to put their foot down for Guild Wars 2 or will they keep making excuses whilst they keep taking advantage of milking players for every dollar they can get?

TL;DR: 

Buy to play -> Cosmetic item cash shop -> gems -> Time-saving items -> (What next?)

Fans of the game are not going to put their foot down, since they like the game so much - if they were going to, they would have done it at the point where we could buy gold for RL cash. I was also very excited about GW2 until the cash shop info arrived - and I do wish I was able to rationalize it away and buy the game (since the game itself isn't bad), but I just can't. 

As it stands, most of the fans seem to be redefining P2W every time something unsavoury is added to the cash shop - which is sad, because other companies will see that it's apparently okay and we'll be getting more cash shops like this in the future. 

you obviously have not played many of the f2p asian games out there if you feel GW2 cash shop is pay to win. PVP in some of those and you will understand what pay to win is all about and how vastly differn't those are compared to whats offered in GW2 shop.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by minttunator

Fans of the game are not going to put their foot down, since they like the game so much - if they were going to, they would have done it at the point where we could buy gold for RL cash.

Do not assume that only because one is a fan, he/she becomes instantly an idiot with no critical mind. People have shown in abundance why the Cash Shop as it is is innocuous, and nothing 'crazy' has been put there.

If they add direct combat buffs, statted gear and such, I'll be the first to complain. But complaining that people can sell Gems to get Gold as this would somehow make you 'win' anything shows that people saying this haven't played the game, and are complaining for an evil that has not shown up yet.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I made another post on the other silly "Cash Shop" thread. Can anyone explain to me why the Cash Shop is in any way giving an unfair advantage because everyone is just saying that it does without any kind of explanation

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by seridan

I made another post on the other silly "Cash Shop" thread. Can anyone explain to me why the Cash Shop is in any way giving an unfair advantage because everyone is just saying that it does without any kind of explanation

The closest thing to a valid argument is that the person can use cash shop items to have way more gold than anyone else. They can then use this to A) dominate the market; B) buy hundreds of seige plans.

The former is somewhat controlled; one player's rise or fall in a player driven economy is as strong as the other buys and sellers.

The latter is controlled by supply. Plans are cheap; by 80 I could afford quite a few. but if your side doesn't ahve enough supply to fuel it all, you wasted them.

This discussion has been closed.