Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Am I missing something? Leveling speed ++

2»

Comments

• OtakunOtakun New Providence, PAPosts: 864Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by stragen001

Sigh...

Stop trying to play GW2 like WOW. Its not a race to complete an area as quickly as possible and move onto the next one.

The way to play this game is to explore, and experience the dynamic events as they happen around you. Not just goto the heart quests do them and move onto the next heart quest. This BWE I have taken chars from their own staring area into ones that I have already done because I didnt want to ruin it for launch. I took my Charr to the Human starting area and about 50% of the DEs I experienced I didnt see when I played through the Human area as a Human. 

Go explore, look into nooks and crannys and you will find all sorts of stuff. There are loads of DE's off the beaten path and so much contact that isnt marked on the world map. Talk to NPCs. Lots of them actually trigger DE's of point you towards something that is happening on the map that you otherwise wouldnt know about.

Yes here it is again! This is not that other mmorpg. 

Anet needs a video at the beginning to teach players this isn't that other game. GW2 isn't about leveling and reaching the end, its about exploring and having fun on the way there.

that's why i enjoy his videos he actual tries to explain what a lot of people are missing http://www.youtube.com/user/CaraEmm?feature=watch

IMO if someone else has to explain to people how to enjoy and appriciate the game then the company fails in making a good game. 

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Otakun
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Sigh...

Stop trying to play GW2 like WOW. Its not a race to complete an area as quickly as possible and move onto the next one.

The way to play this game is to explore, and experience the dynamic events as they happen around you. Not just goto the heart quests do them and move onto the next heart quest. This BWE I have taken chars from their own staring area into ones that I have already done because I didnt want to ruin it for launch. I took my Charr to the Human starting area and about 50% of the DEs I experienced I didnt see when I played through the Human area as a Human. 

Go explore, look into nooks and crannys and you will find all sorts of stuff. There are loads of DE's off the beaten path and so much contact that isnt marked on the world map. Talk to NPCs. Lots of them actually trigger DE's of point you towards something that is happening on the map that you otherwise wouldnt know about.

Yes here it is again! This is not that other mmorpg. 

Anet needs a video at the beginning to teach players this isn't that other game. GW2 isn't about leveling and reaching the end, its about exploring and having fun on the way there.

that's why i enjoy his videos he actual tries to explain what a lot of people are missing http://www.youtube.com/user/CaraEmm?feature=watch

IMO if someone else has to explain to people how to enjoy and appriciate the game then the company fails in making a good game. 

not really just so many people are stuck in the mindset EVERY themepark MMO needs to play like warcraft.. now you may not see that as bad but I and many others do. I know it's hard to deviate from the norm but if you try you might be surprised and actually enjoy yourself

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RivalenRivalen TaviraPosts: 503Member

Got to level 9 in a few hours by just exploring and gathering.

The leveling experience is if anything too fast.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member
    Originally posted by sapheroith
    Originally posted by tyfon
    Originally posted by hikaru77

¨exp boost¨ from the shop to fix that. but the fanboys will keep talking about how u can just craft or go to the other starter areas. 

Ah that explains it really.. I didn't think they designed it so that you needed to do several starting areas, but this seems logical now.

ROFL, you decided to ignore all other comments and listen to a renowned troll?

This is funny, and.....it figures, doesn't it?  I think this would further prove that yes, you're missing something.  Hello, McFly?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Velike LašcePosts: 127Member Uncommon

I have a feeling leveling is based on how many DEs you catch up (or rather miss out on when you come in to an area). As for me, it seems I always managed to miss them or someting, I was always under level for hearts/story. I did the exploring, I did the vistas, the crafting, the daily stuff and I was still underlevel. I considered grinding mobs, but unless you find the ones with uber bonus XP it's really not worth it.

For 1-15 area that is imo not the best design. Some people have no troubles, some have a alot. I know I sometimes spent literally 30 min running/porting around the map trying to find a DE to do, coz I was 3 levels below my next heart and mobs ate me up in 2 hits. Oh yes, I can do other races starter area but I think I shouldn't go to other starter areas to level....ok, for trait points and exploration I'll go there eventually, but not just to level a noob toon to friggin 15. Ah well or why not, it's not like doing the same DE 3-4 times is exciting new levelling style and teh shit and teh future and what not.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the game, I bought it and will play it, but so many ppl blindly defend it it's unbelievable.  Someone says something could be done better and nooo, it's perfect as is, u are noob. I saw quite a lot of people now complaining about being under level so where is the problem then, in  the game or in the gamers, if the leveling is RNG... (I could say it's like when in other games quests gave 0-1000XP...and on average you'd get 500 but hey, if you're unlucky you'll get 10 0XP in a row and then be without quests and have to wait on randomly generated quests that you miss if you're not there when they pop).

Idk, the easiest solution would perhaps be a larger range on the map, that a DE is going on.

• RCP_utRCP_ut ...Posts: 263Member

My feeling is the oposite, some players reaching levels 25/30 in one weekend. For me it seens a bit too fast.

Far from grindy and low exp.

• SendenSenden PrivatePosts: 585Member Uncommon

Sigh...

QFT and not just because you have mr flibble as your avatar :D

If you treat this like WoW/SWTOR etc, you're playing it wrong. Sadly, I think many people will treat it like that come launch and be discouraged at first until they learn to adjust.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,962Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by RCP_ut

My feeling is the oposite, some players reaching levels 25/30 in one weekend. For me it seens a bit too fast.

Far from grindy and low exp.

Amen, but I guess you like me played MMOs for a while. :)

I remember the late 90s, leveling took forever back then.

• EzhaeEzhae LondonPosts: 737Member
    Originally posted by Beowulfsam

For 1-15 area that is imo not the best design. Some people have no troubles, some have a alot. I know I sometimes spent literally 30 min running/porting around the map trying to find a DE to do, coz I was 3 levels below my next heart and mobs ate me up in 2 hits. Oh yes, I can do other races starter area but I think I shouldn't go to other starter areas to level....ok, for trait points and exploration I'll go there eventually, but not just to level a noob toon to friggin 15. Ah well or why not, it's not like doing the same DE 3-4 times is exciting new levelling style and teh shit and teh future and what not.

That's your problem. You try too hard. When you start porting around looking for DE's you will miss them. The idea is to do them as they pop. I never actively looked for any events. I just opened a map, checked where I want to go, either to gather more crafting materials or to uncovere unexplored bit of map or grab the vista taunting me and along the way I'd run into one DE after another. 

If you play the game just to get XP and same time refuse to go to other areas you are contradicting yourself. The game offers choices, doesn't hand solutions on a platter however. You want XP fast - > You jump between places, you do full exploration, you jump your butt off to get to all the vistas. You will get plenty of XP that way. You want to play exploring, checking every bit of map, building up your materials stockpile for crafting - you will earn enough XP as well. You want to got o WvWvW you still will earn plenty of XP to move forward at steady pace. 

2»