Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? Leveling speed ++

tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Hi,

I got into the beta weekend via a competition to see what this was.

So far I've been running around doing "dynamic" events, heart things, gathering and the story mission. The XP gain seems to be extremly low though. I have to stay in an area and hunt for events over and over to get to the same level as my story mission, but there are hardly any spawning.

Is the game supposed to be this grindy? Also the quests so far have been extremly wowish.. Pick up x, repair x, kill x, rescue x... I'm also very underwhelmed by the rewards for the public quests.

And another thing. I've gotten this Mystic chest that require a mystery key but I can't seem to find any place to buy it and it doesn't drop as loot as far as I can tell.

So.. What am I missing? People talk about this as if it was the 2nd comming of jesus or something..

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

1) Leveling is pretty fast, I got to level 20 out of 80 levels with only about 5 hours effort? There isnt much of a leveling curve either according to ArenaNet so this would equate to 20 hours for a max level character, which doesnt seem slow at all.

2) Quests? Oh you mean heart objectives. You should try getting out of the starter zones, thats not what the game is about later on. They are just there to ease players into the new game style. Its all about dynamic events later on, which range from having snowball fights to protecting villages to espionage. Not sure what else you would expect from a combat based MMO?

3) Mystery chests require a key that is either a drop, or purchasable from the cash shop. You can also open them with butler golems that are available in game. The rewards from that chest are not worth paying real cash for, usually just convenience and novelty items.

4) You arent missing anything. If you dont like the game, move on? There are plenty of other options if you dont like what they are offering, you dont need to like it just because everyone else does.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by evilastro

1) Leveling is pretty fast, I got to level 20 out of 80 levels with only about 5 hours effort? There isnt much of a leveling curve either according to ArenaNet so this would equate to 20 hours for a max level character, which doesnt seem slow at all.

2) Quests? Oh you mean heart objectives. You should try getting out of the starter zones, thats not what the game is about later on. They are just there to ease players into the new game style. Its all about dynamic events later on, which range from having snowball fights to protecting villages to espionage. Not sure what else you would expect from a combat based MMO?

3) Mystery chests require a key that is either a drop, or purchasable from the cash shop. You can also open them with butler golems that are available in game. The rewards from that chest are not worth paying real cash for, usually just convenience and novelty items.

4) You arent missing anything. If you dont like the game, move on? There are plenty of other options if you dont like what they are offering, you dont need to like it just because everyone else does.

On 1. I'm supposed to stay in an area to level to get to my story or move on past my story to level in higher areas and then move back when i reach the correct level? Or should one stay and grind out the public quests until you reach the level of your story mission?

The heart things can only be done once anyway..

2. And by quests I mean hearts and public quests. But to get out of the starter zone I have to run the same "dynamic" events over and over if I'm lucky enough to see one. I ran around in the zone around my story quest entrance gathering for almost an hour earlier without any spawning.

3. So far I haven't had any keys drop so I guess it's ment for the cash shop mainly. I'll try searching for the golem.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Made it to 17 on my guardian without even trying. Now I'm checking other classes.

Leveling is definitely fine, if not a bit too fast.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20

I suggest you to check other zones too, I have lvl26 and I didn't grind at all in any point.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by tyfon

On 1. I'm supposed to stay in an area to level to get to my story or move on past my story to level in higher areas and then move back when i reach the correct level? Or should one stay and grind out the public quests until you reach the level of your story mission?

2. And by quests I mean hearts and public quests. But to get out of the starter zone I have to run the same "dynamic" events over and over if I'm lucky enough to see one. I ran around in the zone around my story quest entrance gathering for almost an hour earlier without any spawning.

3. So far I haven't had any keys drop so I guess it's ment for the cash shop mainly. I'll try searching for the golem.

1) You dont even need to do the story, its optional.

2) There were more than enough events for me to level past the newbie zones (and I have done all 5 newbie zones) without ever repeating an event. Perhaps you need to explore a little bit more. They even have 'points of interest' on the map now to lead people there (these are usually where the longer event chains start from).

3) I got 3 keys and 1 chest while leveling to 10 this weekend. Thats the fun of RNG loot. People will probably sell keys once the game ages a bit.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Korean mmo. Chalk it up as a cultural difference.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Hi,

So far I've been running around doing "dynamic" events, heart things, gathering and the story mission. The XP gain seems to be extremly low though. I have to stay in an area and hunt for events over and over to get to the same level as my story mission, but there are hardly any spawning.

Is the game supposed to be this grindy? Also the quests so far have been extremly wowish.. Pick up x, repair x, kill x, rescue x... I'm also very underwhelmed by the rewards for the public quests.

And another thing. I've gotten this Mystic chest that require a mystery key but I can't seem to find any place to buy it and it doesn't drop as loot as far as I can tell.

So.. What am I missing? People talk about this as if it was the 2nd comming of jesus or something..

¨exp boost¨ from the shop to fix that. but the fanboys will keep talking about how u can just craft or go to the other starter areas. 

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by hikaru77

¨exp boost¨ from the shop to fix that. but the fanboys will keep talking about how u can just craft or go to the other starter areas. 

Ah that explains it really.. I didn't think they designed it so that you needed to do several starting areas, but this seems logical now.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Ah that explains it really.. I didn't think they designed it so that you needed to do several starting areas, but this seems logical now.

you don't need to get exp boosts to level without repeating content try watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHC-RyGCU8

or you can listen to hikaru someone who doesn't even enjoy the game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

I got to level 17 in Queensdale without spending a dime and using exp boost.  Only story I did was the tutorial.

In addition, they increased the money drop rate from last BWE2. I got around 35 silver in Queensdale, which is surprising I only got about 15 silver in BWE2.

Personally I think the leveling speed is quite fast compared to other mmos.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Made it to 17 on my guardian without even trying. Now I'm checking other classes.

Leveling is definitely fine, if not a bit too fast.

This is my take as well... I'm having fun trying to see everything before I move on to new areas and I feel that I'm outleveling the areas I'm currently in just for the sake of 'completionism'.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

ROFL, you decided to ignore all other comments and listen to a renowned troll?

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Sigh...

Stop trying to play GW2 like WOW. Its not a race to complete an area as quickly as possible and move onto the next one.

The way to play this game is to explore, and experience the dynamic events as they happen around you. Not just goto the heart quests do them and move onto the next heart quest. This BWE I have taken chars from their own staring area into ones that I have already done because I didnt want to ruin it for launch. I took my Charr to the Human starting area and about 50% of the DEs I experienced I didnt see when I played through the Human area as a Human. 

Go explore, look into nooks and crannys and you will find all sorts of stuff. There are loads of DE's off the beaten path and so much contact that isnt marked on the world map. Talk to NPCs. Lots of them actually trigger DE's of point you towards something that is happening on the map that you otherwise wouldnt know about.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Hi,

Mystic Keys DO drop, I've had four of them.  What are you missing?  You apparently don't care for the game.  Just move along and go play something you enjoy.  No one's going to be upset by it....really.  And by the way....I find the quests further from WoWish than any other game I've ever played.  Just goes to show we all have different perceptions.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

Seems like you're looking for any reason to justify your opinion of game's leveling speed. I'm almost certain the game is not designed that way. Stop looking for excuses, take some of the helpful advice given to you here, and get back in there. 

If you're not willing to do that. Play something "faster" and stop whining.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Do any of you people griping about the cash shop items actually read how they work?

The exp bonus applies to mob kills ONLY. It gives nothing to DEs, Hearts, PS Quests, Exploration, Crafting, or anything else.

And mob kills account for a TINY fraction of your xp. The boost will have a negligible effect.

As to levelling speed...Haven't gotten to play much, but I've gotten both an Asura and Sylvari to 10 wihtout denting their areas. So...not concerned about levelling so far even with the new races.

• HoramHoram Member Posts: 16

I at first thought this games leveling speed was pretty brutal but that was my fault thinking this game was like most MMO's.

For starters, you don't need to tag mobs first to get full XP and loot. Not knowing this myself during my first BWE almost had me uninstalling the game because I kept trying to tag mobs first which isn't going to work when there's a hundred other players nearby.

Before the next BWE I did some actual looking up on the game to realize that you get full XP and loot credit for simply attacking -any- mob. Doesn't matter who started the fight. I've had to explain this to quite a few people who, like me, are used to previous MMO design. Next BWE, I was leveling like crazy and thoroughly enjoying the game.

Hope this helps anyone who has issues leveling.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I dont know why anyone wants to level fast in this game, considering all of the hidden nuggets within just waiting to be uncovered. But if you just have to, pick up some gathering tools. This alone will really make you level fast as you get xp from harvesting. Go to other zones, craft, etc. one thing you definitely don't need to do is buy xp boosts. Anyone who thinks that is "needed" is nuts.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by stragen001

Sigh...

Stop trying to play GW2 like WOW. Its not a race to complete an area as quickly as possible and move onto the next one.

The way to play this game is to explore, and experience the dynamic events as they happen around you. Not just goto the heart quests do them and move onto the next heart quest. This BWE I have taken chars from their own staring area into ones that I have already done because I didnt want to ruin it for launch. I took my Charr to the Human starting area and about 50% of the DEs I experienced I didnt see when I played through the Human area as a Human. 

Go explore, look into nooks and crannys and you will find all sorts of stuff. There are loads of DE's off the beaten path and so much contact that isnt marked on the world map. Talk to NPCs. Lots of them actually trigger DE's of point you towards something that is happening on the map that you otherwise wouldnt know about.

Yes here it is again! This is not that other mmorpg. 

Anet needs a video at the beginning to teach players this isn't that other game. GW2 isn't about leveling and reaching the end, its about exploring and having fun on the way there.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Sigh...

Anet needs a video at the beginning to teach players this isn't that other game. GW2 isn't about leveling and reaching the end, its about exploring and having fun on the way there.

that's why i enjoy his videos he actual tries to explain what a lot of people are missing http://www.youtube.com/user/CaraEmm?feature=watch

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MoexMoex Member Posts: 1

Feed the Trolls!!1

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There are no public quests, there are dynamic events..And they are totally different in nature. tough some of the objectives are might be the same as what we used to see in quests, the setting is so much different.

If you try to play this game like WoW, its not that great, if you play it like EQ or any other more sandboxy game its just great. Arenanet is not holding your hand, .. which for some people is totally not acceptable.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Knowing someone in the alpha test makes a lot of these comments pretty funny. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Leveling is not slow but there is a slight disparancy between the xp you can crank out of content in one zone at your specific level and the XP you need to advance beyond it, always. Personally I wish the xp was bumped up a little because the "just take a direction and go" is fun but doesn't work at all unless you are atleast 3 levels from max in the zone. I had the most fun just walking through various 15-25  zones as a lvl 25+ not having to worry about level compared to hitting the 15-25 charr zone as a 15 I was very boxed in and had to go to specific zonewise very small areas if I wanted to stay alive.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Sigh...

that's why i enjoy his videos he actual tries to explain what a lot of people are missing http://www.youtube.com/user/CaraEmm?feature=watch

Thank you Aerowyn. More to watch!! 

Edit: He has been busy. Last time I saw he only had 3 videos out! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.