Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In your opinion, does GW2 live up to the Manifesto

Comments

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by justinope
    Originally posted by Azzkicka

When i play GW2 im bored...

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same here. Its the same old same old.

in what way? I have found very little in this game that feels same old same old

Without any hostility, let me turn that question around on you; what have you found that doesn't exist in other MMOs? What brand new elements are there that you have never seen before?

All I have seen so far is; you look for the nearest heart on the map, go there, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes the objectives are really quite tedious (water the corn, feed the cows, play with the puppies, carry the rabit food) and other times they're more action oriented but still nothing new (kick a tree, kill the bad guy who drops down....kill the rampaging minotaurs...interact with a bush, kill what comes out). Then there's your personal storyline which has already been done AT LEAST as well in SWTOR (for all the things it did wrong, SWTOR had awesome storylines!) and is also being done- in my opinion, better -in The Secret World.

I'm not saying GW21 is bad because it's not...but what is so original about it?

EDIT: I should add; in between those "heart" areas, there's really just a lot of beautiful but pointless land. It looks awesome, has some monsters...and nothing to do. The hearts seem to be the core of the game, or am I missing something?

Heart quests were only added into the game in a later stage of development to ease players like you of other games into the game because else a lot of people would just be standing around wondering wth they should be doing as there was no direction.

Also every heart quest that has the objectives that you label as tedious also offer combat choices. It's about the choices, you prefer combat you go kill stuffs, you prefer helping out in a non-violent way to mix up your experience, you go do that. Both count towards the progression of the same heart quest. But as said before they're NOT the backbone of the "questing"  experience. It's all about dynamic events that just happen as you explore the world, some NPC may come running to you asking for help because his village is under attack, you save the village and if you stay around it often branches into other DE's which in the end may even lead up to a kickass meta event boss.

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester

No, it did not live up to it for me.

It's been a while since I played an MMO that was this grindy before level 10. I need levels before I can see more of the world / experience more of the personal storyline, and the only way to do that is to grind. Either I run around for events I've probably already done before, or I try to fill karma hearts with tedious "collect ten apples" chores.

I was so desperate for XP that I started doing the daily achievements...find ten different mobs to kill, gather 10 resources. Big disappointment.

You can get to lvl 10 pretty easily. If you want to explore the world, just do so. You don't have to be the area's lvl, you just have to play carefully and be attentive. Not only that, but the exploring will gain you experience as well. I was able to get a lvl just exploring Divinity's Reach, and had a good (not to mention informative) time doing so. At later lvls the gain may not make much of an impact, but under 10? Its very nice and can easily fill the lvl gaps in your personal story.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

enough said.

unfortunately this.

You guys not liking the game doesn't say anything about it living up to the manifesto. (not going to discuss the same old same old argument I strongly disagree with because it's not worth the effort seeing how much you backed that statement up).

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Its a good game. I ve paid for it, and will play it. That said, it will be my second game, and when PS2 releases, it will drop down to my 3rd game. It s a second game dream, casual as hell, but quite fun. I know I wouldn t pay a sub for it, if that answers anything.

I can see myself, log in, grab some skill points, WvW a bit, and log out. It serves its purpose, but I don t get all gushy over it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Leucent

Its a good game. I ve paid for it, and will play it. That said, it will be my second game, and when PS2 releases, it will drop down to my 3rd game. It s a second game dream, casual as hell, but quite fun. I know I wouldn t pay a sub for it, if that answers anything.

I can see myself, log in, grab some skill points, WvW a bit, and log out. It serves its purpose, but I don t get all gushy over it.

Yes pretty much my point of view too.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

enough said.

unfortunately this.

The only thing that's same old same old here are the number of monsters-under-the-bridge that wait for posts like these to pounce on a game that's both not completed and that has fulfilled what they promised this game would be in both features and content. Anything else as an argument is pure low brow opinion and speculation at this point. One has to wonder about such "testers" when these things are posted, did someone make fun of a game you liked or should you not be a gamer anymore since everything makes have such a jaded view of games of anykind anymore?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Yeah, I don't know what they are talking about.  Haven't played a game like this, well....ever.  And I've played just about every MMO out there.   Matter of fact, I can't stop playing, there is always something for me to do and focus on and I didn't want to log off last night to go to dinner lol.  I did, but it was hard to pull away.  That's the way an MMO should be.

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

sadly it said... "the rest of the game is grind, and no one finds it fun"

Guild Wars 2 is an epic GRIND..... heres why

No MMORPG: Every class can do everything, their no healer or tank, and has taken the Role Play out of the game.

Instances = Zerg this mob, zerg this mob... and without roles, its extremely grindy cause its also easy. 

Quests = zerg this mob, zerg this mob, zerg this mob... (with the slow respawn of quest items)

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Played the beta for couple of days now and decided to uninstall. Had no interest to log in today.  The game is not my cup of tea nor was GW1. I am sure this game will be successful and is very appealing to some players. Just not me. I might consider playing it once I can get it for a discount and a friend wants to try it together.

I have no major reasons why I did not like it (some minor tho), but just didn't get the feeling I wanted to log in anymore.  Hope you guys enjoy it more than I did.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

seeing as this game is a total solo play game i will wait till its £1 on my game shops counter like i did for gw1 which i played for about 2 days and decided to uninstall

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Pudsy

Instances = Zerg this mob, zerg this mob... and without roles, its extremely grindy cause its also easy. 

You even try a dungeon?

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

It doesnt live up to it for me. As another poster has said its the perfection of a fantasy themepark. Im soo worn out on fantasy games that i just cant do it anymore. The only reason im playing TSW is cause its modern day fantasy, no elves, no orcs, no dwarves. Just good old occult lore and legends. I to believe TSW is a perfection of the themepark in a way. I guess ill just have to see how TESO, Archeage, and Embers of Caerus play out.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Got bored fast. Will stick to TSW

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by elocke

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Yeah, I don't know what they are talking about.  Haven't played a game like this, well....ever.  And I've played just about every MMO out there.   Matter of fact, I can't stop playing, there is always something for me to do and focus on and I didn't want to log off last night to go to dinner lol.  I did, but it was hard to pull away.  That's the way an MMO should be.

same. honestly think many here just hate video games period. Or at least hate MMOs and will never be happy with any MMO no matter what. I as well have played pretty much every big release MMO ever and countless f2p asian ones and for someone to say this game is same old same old.. well,  just makes me laugh. It's fine if you dislike the game but saying it's the same old i have to think you honestly didn't play it at all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    The pve is good, but not great. It is mmorpg pve done better, so to speak. The pvp is much better than other themepark games. It is persistent and dynamic. You can contribute with combat, running supplies or by using seige weapons. Pretty cool. I do not know about any manifesto though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

I wish TSW was B2P.  I would have purchased on day one, and not even tried out the GW2 beta if that was the case.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'd say no, but Anet were smart.  They knew were to tickle a lot of disillusioned MMO players G-spot and that has translated to massive hype and preorders from players who will stick with it through thick and thin. In this uncertain time, I'd say that's mission accomplised

GW2 is a fine game, it does some things very well, but it simple isn't the genre changing all encompassing juggernault some are hoping it would be.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

GW2 exceeds the manifesto imho...

With todays stuck gaming technologies and limited capabilities there is only so much you can do to really stand out from the clone pack and anet has managed to do just that in a big way..

However if you are burned out on fantasy settings or just dont like them then GW2 is certainly not for you as it is unlikely that those who are burned/dislike fantasy settings will be able to see through their blinders long enough to actually see and feel all the core and philosophical differences, some that are only subtle and others that are complete gamechangers..

Playing GW2..

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

I think back to when i was 17 or something, and i was waiting for Final Fantasy 11 to come out, and i had all these thoughts about what a MMO would be like. I figured i could run out into the wilds and just explore and live off the land, coming to town only from time to time. Sadly thats not what i found when i played the game. Over the years i have gotten used to what MMO's really are like, and it worked for me for many years. With GW2 it really brings me back to how i imagined a MMO would be like. That im a lone hero, running around the world exploring, saving people, and living off the land. 

In time i may find that i have explored all the little spots around the world and become bored with it, but for now, its filling in that little fantasy i had about what a MMO should be. For now its a amazing feeling and they have more than lived up to the manifesto, and i hope in time its gets bigger and bigger.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pudsy

sadly it said... "the rest of the game is grind, and no one finds it fun"

Guild Wars 2 is an epic GRIND..... heres why

No MMORPG: Every class can do everything, their no healer or tank, and has taken the Role Play out of the game.

Quests = zerg this mob, zerg this mob, zerg this mob... (with the slow respawn of quest items)

It is a grind? Really because every profession can do everything? Yoour definition of 'GRIND' is different from everyone else in the world. To me waiting for a healer, a tank, etc is very grindy and boorishly boring.

It is a RPG, because you can do things yourself and it is more immersive to me. It is not easy - I guess you have NOT played the game. In BWE2, I was doing the massive event in the swamp and the main boss was hard to put down. It was also one boss that one hit people who did not move around. How high did you get? You have to be almost lvl 10 before you actually get an instance in the Human beginner zone. The zones themselves are not INSTANCES.

The mobs actually respawn depending on the number of people on your server and in your area. It is not different than Rift, TERA.

Just say the game is not for you and move on. The more I read your response, the more I realize you never played the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Well I got bored with TSW - kill 12 zombies, etc. It is a console game wanting to be an MMO and failing.

• XxSyCxXXxSyCxX Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by austriacus

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Without any hostility, let me turn that question around on you; what have you found that doesn't exist in other MMOs? What brand new elements are there that you have never seen before?

All I have seen so far is; you look for the nearest heart on the map, go there, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes the objectives are really quite tedious (water the corn, feed the cows, play with the puppies, carry the rabit food) and other times they're more action oriented but still nothing new (kick a tree, kill the bad guy who drops down....kill the rampaging minotaurs...interact with a bush, kill what comes out). Then there's your personal storyline which has already been done AT LEAST as well in SWTOR (for all the things it did wrong, SWTOR had awesome storylines!) and is also being done- in my opinion, better -in The Secret World.

EDIT: I should add; in between those "heart" areas, there's really just a lot of beautiful but pointless land. It looks awesome, has some monsters...and nothing to do. The hearts seem to be the core of the game, or am I missing something?

You are missing the DEs which change the world and chain between each other, some of them culminating in big zone events. There are around 1500 of them in the game. At the high level zones you wont even be doing heart quests because there are none of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

so yes, you are missing something, about 80% of the game content.

He is not missing anything. The CORE game is exactly how he described it.

Hearts aren't the core of the game, they are to help guide you around to points of interest.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by rissies

So I went over the manifesto and what they promised ~ here's my opinions on what was claimed in the video:

- Defies existing convention -
    Subjective. I'm not even touching this, except to say that friends who came into the game and tried to play it in the same way they have for years, found themselves having to switch things up.

- persistant world
    Delievered

- more active combat
    Delivered

- personalized branching storyline
    Delivered

- new event system to get people playing together
    Delivered

- no monthly fees
    Delivered

- stylized (painterly, illustrated)
    Delivered

- stunning environments
    Delivered

- incredible combat ("I've never seen anything like that!") 
    Subjective. Animations are very good, and some are just plain cool, and very smooth. More interesting than basic hotkey combat. My mind hasn't been blown, but then I haven't seen all that's offered.

- no grinding to the fun parts
    Subjective. For me this is delivered. I don't really grind in MMOs anyway, but this definitely lacks the "best part of the game begins at lvl cap" vibe. Almost all activities are open to you from the start.

- make the player feel like a hero
    Subjective. I've mainly been in the starter areas, so I go from feeling like another grunt to the big damn hero, to the grunt again. I can't really say delivered or failed without much more play time.

- quests that are visual rather than text dependant
    Delivered.

- cause and effect, a single decision by a player can cascade out into a chain of events
    Delivered. It's harder to see on BWEs because most DE's get taken care of fairly quickly, so we only get to see maybe one step in a chain of consequences for failed events before everyone comes in and makes it better. I've had to look at the press beta coverage videos that have lower populations to see this.

- you can save a village, it'll stay saved, and the villagers will remember you for it
    Somewhat delivered. Villages will stay saved until the chain of events occur to bring them back to attacking. Hopefully they've lengthened a lot of the timers on some of these. Never checked NPC chatter for my own characters. I'm going to have to get out of the habit of treating NPCs like only so much white noise. However a friend said she did find a couple NPCs talking about her exploits. 

Overall, this is the game that was promised by it's developers (not the forum die-hards) and none of the key points seem to have been scrapped or attempted in a hald-assed manner. Even better, they added more than what was promised, and continue to do so based on player feedback. And it's not even launched.

They did everything they said they would do in the manifesto, so yes the game was delivered like it was suppose to. If someone got uneccsary hyped or silly expectations, please blame yourselves. Of course there are some people who's just burnt of of mmorpgs, maybe they need to go to new genre PS2 is a fps game. So you can't compare an mmo+rpg to a mmo+fps.

There are two things I don't like about guild wars 2 is renown hearts. I know that was added for direction [apparently some people were confused and needed a direction].  Other is the map. The map gives a sense of direction by locating vistas, renown hearts, skill challenges; I personally think they should hide those.

Other than that, the game is as described.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm

Originally posted by austriacus
    When i play GW2 im bored... enough said.

unfortunately this.

You are missing the DEs which change the world and chain between each other, some of them culminating in big zone events. There are around 1500 of them in the game. At the high level zones you wont even be doing heart quests because there are none of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

so yes, you are missing something, about 80% of the game content.

He is not missing anything. The CORE game is exactly how he described it.

It's seriously hard to believe you guys have even played the game. What's so original about it? It requires actual skill to be consistently successful, I doubt you can name another game that so heavily relies on skill over gear. There is NO HOLY TRINITY, AND IT WORKS. I've yet to come across another game that doesn't have some form of the holy trinity, and actually works (I guess you could maybe.. consider a game like Vindictus but eh). There is also dramatically extra things to do outside of hearts. In fact you can definetly level without ever using them.

Oh, let us not forget how dramatically different it is playing each class. Playing one class, and than switching to a different one, nearly feels like you've switched games. You can try to play one class as you would another, but you will likely fail. I see this as one of the biggest assets of the entire game. I've yet to play a MMORPG (out of literally 100+) that even comes close to this feeling. In roughly every MMORPG out there you still end up doing the same thing between the classes.

There is no way you can say Gw2 is like every other MMO. DE's set it apart, not to mention a fast paced combat system that requires both thoughtful action and decant reaction times. Heart quest are only a small part of the game. You have either not played or are not getting past level 4.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Won't know until I play it fir a.couple of months.