Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In your opinion, does GW2 live up to the Manifesto

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by deathshroud

dont think its for me, im tired of mmos with the whole tank, healer, dps mechanic.

well this game should be great for you considering it doesn't have the whole tank, healer, dps mechanic....in a traditional sense at least.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by rissies

- Defies existing convention -
    Subjective. I'm not even touching this, except to say that friends who came into the game and tried to play it in the same way they have for years, found themselves having to switch things up.

- persistant world
    Delievered

- more active combat
    Delivered

- personalized branching storyline
    Delivered

- new event system to get people playing together
    Delivered

- no monthly fees
    Delivered

- stylized (painterly, illustrated)
    Delivered

- stunning environments
    Delivered

- incredible combat ("I've never seen anything like that!") 
    Subjective. Animations are very good, and some are just plain cool, and very smooth. More interesting than basic hotkey combat. My mind hasn't been blown, but then I haven't seen all that's offered.

- no grinding to the fun parts
    Subjective. For me this is delivered. I don't really grind in MMOs anyway, but this definitely lacks the "best part of the game begins at lvl cap" vibe. Almost all activities are open to you from the start.

- make the player feel like a hero
    Subjective. I've mainly been in the starter areas, so I go from feeling like another grunt to the big damn hero, to the grunt again. I can't really say delivered or failed without much more play time.

- quests that are visual rather than text dependant
    Delivered.

- cause and effect, a single decision by a player can cascade out into a chain of events
    Delivered. It's harder to see on BWEs because most DE's get taken care of fairly quickly, so we only get to see maybe one step in a chain of consequences for failed events before everyone comes in and makes it better. I've had to look at the press beta coverage videos that have lower populations to see this.

- you can save a village, it'll stay saved, and the villagers will remember you for it
    Somewhat delivered. Villages will stay saved until the chain of events occur to bring them back to attacking. Hopefully they've lengthened a lot of the timers on some of these. Never checked NPC chatter for my own characters. I'm going to have to get out of the habit of treating NPCs like only so much white noise. However a friend said she did find a couple NPCs talking about her exploits. 

Overall, this is the game that was promised by it's developers (not the forum die-hards) and none of the key points seem to have been scrapped or attempted in a hald-assed manner. Even better, they added more than what was promised, and continue to do so based on player feedback. And it's not even launched.

My thoughts exactly :)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Azzkicka

When i play GW2 im bored...

enough said.

let me correct that for you.

"when you play MMO you feel bored"   i think you are already burn out of the whole genre.  

GW2 is good enough for me.  so far better than everything released after wow.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

After 2 days I feel like I have already gotten my $60.00 worth. Awesome game.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    I like the game, but there's little diversity when it comes down to questings. Mechanics wise one other mmo comes to mind, and that's CO. Like that you spend your time mostly either hitting stuff (using a few keys), or hitting the interact key.

Atmosphere is better in GW2, but delivery is weak and does become disengaging (and grindy) after a while. The way the quests are presented doesn't really help, as it's the next stage of not having to read.
  • Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Yes. Definitely.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

They delivered exactly what they said they would.

In some ways they exceeded my expectations. This game.. this game just makes so much sense.. it's like they said screw this to everything and just injected a HUGE dose of common sense into almost every aspect of their game. There are no weird things that make you think 'How the hell did this get put in a game and not laughed at'. I spent most of my time thinking to myself 'This is such an obvious thing to do, why have no other developers thought of this yet??'.

Their manifesto laid out what they wanted to do and they done exactly that. For anyone saying it's same old same old or boring I can only say that you are liers and completely trolling. I sincerely hope that nobody believes the lie that this game is boring and is the same as others before it because whatever criticism you may have about GW2 those two comments are absolutely not true in any way.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by grapevine
    I like the game, but there's little diversity when it comes down to questings. Mechanics wise one other mmo comes to mind, and that's CO. Like that you spend your time mostly either hitting stuff (using a few keys), or hitting the interact key. Atmosphere is better in GW2, but delivery is weak and does become disengaging (and grindy) after a while. The way the quests are presented doesn't really help, as it's the next stage of not having to read.

Stop playing the game like it is WoW - Ignore the renown hearts and when you participate in an event pay attention to the NPC's. You might just notice everything is much more intricately put together than you think, especially as you get out of the first zone and into the 20-30 level range and it will keep getting more and more complex as you continue to level.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I used to be a pretty big supporter of the game.

But I started to suspect... worries... about it.

After playing it, the worries were confirmed.

Its just your a-typical Fantasy game.

Nothing realy memorable, to me.  I mean, is refined, its the 2012 evolution of the themepark fantasy MMORPG... refined and mastered.  But its still just that, to me, the refined fantasy themepark MMORPG.  Kind of childish and immature.  Hard for me to really fall deep into it.

Thats alright though, its fine for what it is.

Originally posted by Zezda

I like the game, but there's little diversity when it comes down to questings. Mechanics wise one other mmo comes to mind, and that's CO. Like that you spend your time mostly either hitting stuff (using a few keys), or hitting the interact key. Atmosphere is better in GW2, but delivery is weak and does become disengaging (and grindy) after a while. The way the quests are presented doesn't really help, as it's the next stage of not having to read.

Stop playing the game like it is WoW - Ignore the renown hearts and when you participate in an event pay attention to the NPC's. You might just notice everything is much more intricately put together than you think, especially as you get out of the first zone and into the 20-30 level range and it will keep getting more and more complex as you continue to level.

Not playing it like WoW, and have played GW2 since the first BWE so am fully aware of the true DE's (which is why I said the atmosphere is better). However, watch what people are doing. It's a zerg on mobs. Diversity wise, the game is weak.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

OMG I mean seriously if you don't like the game don't play the game, but if  you don't like it and aren't going to play it then justgo the frick away and let those of us who love it ( and out number you by a zillion or so ) let us just have our game and enjoy it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Not playing it like WoW, and have played GW2 since the first BWE so am fully aware of the true DE's. Watch what people are doing. It's a zerg on mobs.

I've been in a lot of zergs (likely because we are doing BETA weekends and there is a huge rush) and I have been a part of smaller, more organized DEs. The further up you get, the less zergy it gets because you seperate from the pack. It doesn't take a great amount of reasoning to understand why things are a bit zergy right now.

Originally posted by Sorrow

OMG I mean seriously if you don't like the game don't play the game, but if  you don't like it and aren't going to play it then justgo the frick away and let those of us who love it ( and out number you by a zillion or so ) let us just have our game and enjoy it.    

Did you actually read the topic of this thread? I'm sure it doesn't call for only blind praising of the game.

I like the game, a lot, but it's not the perfect game some are trying to imply.
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by colddog04

Not playing it like WoW, and have played GW2 since the first BWE so am fully aware of the true DE's. Watch what people are doing. It's a zerg on mobs.

I've been in a lot of zergs (likely because we are doing BETA weekends and there is a huge rush) and I have been a part of smaller, more organized DEs. The further up you get, the less zergy it gets because you seperate from the pack. It doesn't take a great amount of reasoning to understand why things are a bit zergy right now.

I far prefer this "zerg" at the beginning than having to wait for "my" mobs to spawn to kill them. Imagine any other kind of MMO without kill-stealing and mob-tagging, wouldn't that be zergy as well? Only now you are waiting for your mobs to respawn to kill them (and pray nobody else will steal them)

Also, there are some cool mini-dungeons (open world areas that play like dungeons) that are not zergy, they require some thought and coordination (like Calx's Hideout in the Asura area) there are also the jumping puzzles and the big boss events (Shadow Behemoth) there are also the dynamic events that feature mob attacks, or player attacks on mob camps, those aren't zergy either, it is a war after all. IT would be nice once players start spreading out more

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yes it does.

Because I wasn't expecting too much.

I was expecting an ultra Themepark MMO, and it didn't disappoint.

From me, it gets a 7, it is the best Themepark out there.

Of course a good Sandbox is what I am looking for, but GW2 is a good way to pass the time until Archeage is released.

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

No, it did not live up to it for me.

It's been a while since I played an MMO that was this grindy before level 10. I need levels before I can see more of the world / experience more of the personal storyline, and the only way to do that is to grind. Either I run around for events I've probably already done before, or I try to fill karma hearts with tedious "collect ten apples" chores.

I was so desperate for XP that I started doing the daily achievements...find ten different mobs to kill, gather 10 resources. Big disappointment.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by justinope
    Originally posted by Azzkicka

When i play GW2 im bored...

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same here. Its the same old same old.

in what way? I have found very little in this game that feels same old same old

Without any hostility, let me turn that question around on you; what have you found that doesn't exist in other MMOs? What brand new elements are there that you have never seen before?

All I have seen so far is; you look for the nearest heart on the map, go there, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes the objectives are really quite tedious (water the corn, feed the cows, play with the puppies, carry the rabit food) and other times they're more action oriented but still nothing new (kick a tree, kill the bad guy who drops down....kill the rampaging minotaurs...interact with a bush, kill what comes out). Then there's your personal storyline which has already been done AT LEAST as well in SWTOR (for all the things it did wrong, SWTOR had awesome storylines!) and is also being done- in my opinion, better -in The Secret World.

I'm not saying GW21 is bad because it's not...but what is so original about it?

EDIT: I should add; in between those "heart" areas, there's really just a lot of beautiful but pointless land. It looks awesome, has some monsters...and nothing to do. The hearts seem to be the core of the game, or am I missing something?

To me it just seems that you didn't get past the starting areas of each race. After you pretty much "learn" how the game works and get the hang of your skills the areas start to be more and more dynamic. DEs really start being dynamic but those "hearts" are still there... Even tho those hearts are just a guideline for those who actually don't have an idea of what to do next and need something to guide their way.

Different is that this game has no dedicated healing class.

Has no monthly fee.

It doesn't have quest hubs.

Not telling you where to go in order to level up.

You can join pvp from level 1 (after finishing the tutorial area which ends up with a cool boss fight) and level all the way up to 80.

Massive server vs server vs server fights on an enourmous scale (haven't seen any game yet with more than 500 people in pvp.

Using other players abilities to create new attacks is something really cool and something I haven't seen in any other game.

Events aren't forcing you to group up in order to get it done. So I can go and explore the area and I can still endup getting good xp out of it.

No stealing of ores/mines/we.

Dynamic events which sometimes change the look of the area and changing the weather/day-night cycles as they advance.

I start my adventure with an epic battle :D That's a plus in my book.

Gear has the same stats at level cap so gear grinding is stricly to get you better looks. (Something I either have seen before and forgot about it or just haven't seen it yet).

just a side note.  I really liked the story in SWTOR and that was one of the best parts of the game which I really enjoyed and felt so sucked into when I was playing the storylines. BUT, when I was playing with silvary and asura yesterday I was having fun and enjoyed it just as much as I did in SWTOR. Especially Silvary story. I think gw2 has a really good base for writing the story since they did an awesome job in gw1 and not to mention the books they published. :)

Feel free to correct me or add something :)

EDIT: To write some cons which I came across and can remember now.

PVP is somethig that doesn't last for more than 1 day because usually they start having this server issues and have to shut them down for a while.

WVWVW was yesterday limited on cap population to about 150 per server per map because the servers were overheating (which is really stupid, they have to do something about it prerelease).

I don't really like the static "cinematic" of 2 persons involved talking while doing my personal story. The way they did it in GW1 was so much better to me, but well... I can live with that, it's not that bad :D

Textures of terrain can sometimes flash in white on some parts of the world, it's not a big issue just something what needs fixing.

The fact that the game has no hard copy and has 25 GB to download! That's one of the biggest thorns in my eyes.

I don't like the "transition screens" (aka loading screens) so much because I was expecting they'll set up the games areas better, but I'm used to it from GW1 so it shouldn't represent an issue now.

That's all I can think of at this moment.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I feel like it lives up to the hype. It's fun to play. Period.

Everyone gets caught up in mechanics that they do or do not like. GW2 certainly isn't perfect (no game is). But you can hop into the game and have a fun time playing. And that's all that really matters. I've probably enjoyed it more than any MMO in years.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester

It's been a while since I played an MMO that was this grindy before level 10. I need levels before I can see more of the world / experience more of the personal storyline, and the only way to do that is to grind. Either I run around for events I've probably already done before, or I try to fill karma hearts with tedious "collect ten apples" chores.

I was so desperate for XP that I started doing the daily achievements...find ten different mobs to kill, gather 10 resources. Big disappointment.

You obviously want a linear game, like Rift, WoW, etc. This isn't a linear game. In BWE2, I explored the 1st human zone and I was actually 3 lvls above the last mobs in the zone before leaving it. You need to explore. Don't want to explore - this game is not for you.  Plain and simple.

People complaining it is the same old - same old. There are some similarities and there are some differences. The differences are what set it apart from the other games.

Yes, the game met my expectations. Is it perfect, heck no.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What kind of leveling expectation must you have for an MMORPG in order to call GW2 a grind?

It has a flat leveling curve once you hit 30ish and many people are already past level 30 in 2 days. That is the first time I've read the "grind" complaint for GW2.

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

I think some people are confusing what was stated in the OP. The question isn't about if the games meets the hype, it's if the game complies with what was stated in the linked manifesto video.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It depends on how you want to interpret things from the manifesto. "When you play the combat in our game you think wow, that's incedible, I've never seen anything like that before". Surely that's not true for all weapons and classes, but as a whole it mostly lives up to the manifesto. Some points are debatable, and to a point you can say it's the same old, same old. Then again, there are enough things to really make this game different, if you give yourself enough time to figure that out.

imageimage
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

maybe there should be a mechanic to skip PVE zones

but ive only seen newer mmos getting worse with being TOO EASY to level

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Nadia

you can skip PVE zones and go straight to sPVP where you're lvl 80 ;)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Nadia

you can skip PVE zones and go straight to sPVP where you're lvl 80 ;)

that doesnt help someone who wants to see later PVE zones without grind