Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the hype

Comments

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Torgrim

As some of you says this not my kind of game, well that wasent my question from the start was it?

Was just asking where the hype coming from.

Snowball effect or WoW effect, or whatever you wish to call it.  People just kept on saying it's good and it quickly went from something small to something massive.  Having finally got a beta key and tested it for about 12 hours now myself, I can say that this game offers nothing new and is just another solid MMO as was Rift and a few others.  Having completed the 1-15 zone I noticed my game completion was a little over 4% so I came to the conclusion that 20% of the games PVE would be starter zones for each race.  Content is rather washed out and dull because you see the same DE so many times an hour I found myself completely ingoring some as I did not wish to kill angry icy dude for the 4th time.  Ignoring some DE, not all, and pressing on I quickly found that I was getting way behind on levels for not repeating content or rushing to other races starting area's as I went into the 15+ zone.  One of the things I was told repeatedly is that you do not have to repeat content.  That is a bluntant lie.  I already repeated DE's  some more than 3 times and still could not keep up with new content that was suited to my level. 

I assume someone will say I did something wrong or somehow place the blame on me and not Anet as they are clearly perfect in all regards but the game while solid has it's painful flaws.  As I said, I did  almost every DE at least once and completed every skill/heart/vista in the entire zone.  Moving on I found myself having to either go back or face monsters 2-3 or 5 levels above me.  At 15 I had the lvl 19 story quest.

Considering all content is always valid going to every starter zone would remedy the issue, however, It means GW2 has even less replay value than SWTOR as there is no unique content outside of personal story which is much shorter than the one you go through in SWTOR.

The game is worth the box price but not even at launch.  DE are only fun when they aren't zerged to death and feel completely mindless and boring. The most fun to be had in the game is exploration as the combat imo, leaves much to be desired.  Having your  core abilties set within the first 5 levels having mastered every weapon open to my prof within the first zone... a serious lack of character progression kicked in.  I at no point after getting  my #5 hotkey felt any stronger in the game no matter how much more I played.  The numbers might go up but I'm still doing the exact same thing I was 10 levels ago.

GW2 the first MMO I unistalled over a beta weekend.  I had hoped to be wrong but it really is nothing special. Worth a buy after the zerg of fanboys dies down it will be a month or three worth of fun depending how much you play a day.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Hype came from hope. There was nothing else with such scale on horizon and MMO fans were hoping ArenaNet delivers. Well, they did deliver pretty good game. But its nowhere near "wet dream MMO that will kill everything else".

I wasnt too impressed with it either and mostly likely wont even buy since I now play TSW and dont have time for another MMO.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by grimal

Ok, I'll take a stab at your question.  I think people are over-hyping this game because many see it as the last great hope for the year.  It's the last major studio MMO coming out for a while.  People are still very very angry over TOR and that anger pushed them, rather blindly, into the arms of GW2.  For every reason I read for people "loving" the game, behind that reason is "it's the game Anet has promised".  People are not looking for a so burned in feeling lied to by the developers over the years, that they see ANET as some knight in shining armor.

Well, I don't buy it. ANET may be pretty transparent thus far with what they have shown but it doesn't hide that the game is a boring, shallow, uninspired effort that is being propelled by a large group of rather blind zealots.

/rantdone

Now this guys is actually trying to explain why, why cant you fanboys do the same?

Because it wouldnt matter, as I can see from all your responces, nothing will change the hate in your heart for GW2.

Theres a word for what your doing, but Im not allowed to call you that. Which is funny, because you throw the word fanboy around in such a way to make it just as insulting.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Torrmwyre
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, mostly from GW2 fanboys.

Sure the game is not what you expect from a MMO there is no quest hub A+B+C ect, but the points is either if you klick a  ! npc or run into a area you still get a quest to kill shit, its basicly the same thing, true its fun to run around and suddenly  a event open up and players come to gether to fight off whatever it is, its still not something innovating its still the same thing that looking up a ! and do the quest.

I will not say much more than that but I will buy the game and see what's offer later when you can get to more max level.

You don't understand it. Many do. Thus, they promote the game as a solid title to their friends. This is what you call 'hype'.

There you go.

That make no sence at all.

Made sense to me. :) I think he is talking about word of mouth and how it has spread to his friends. Thus, the hype! 

This game is hyped from THIS site and fanboys there is no word of mouth, get real.

I think the 10 million-something beta signups might disagree with you.

I think you dont know the mening what word of mouth means hence my disscustion with another guy, your post is moot, sorry.

My advice, ask the question in your home language. Your English fluency seems to be hindering your chances at getting an answer you understand.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Because it wouldnt matter, as I can see from all your responces, nothing will change the hate in your heart for GW2.

Theres a word for what your doing, but Im not allowed to call you that. Which is funny, because you throw the word fanboy around in such a way to make it just as insulting.

You mistake hate for objectivity.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Hard to have objectivity when he doesn't seem to understand the defenders of an argument.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Objective to the viewer. That is all.

Since he has made his point allready, continueing to bash the game is now something more, and you know what I am talking about, that word I cannot say.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Every MMO gets overhyped. Most recently SW:TOR, the WoW killer! LoLz

GW2 is okay. I won't be buying it. But it's a solid game considering no monthly fee.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Foomerang

-automatic grouping
    -no need to have a specific class to complete content
    -no sub fee
    -no tiered gear progression
    -no ganking

Basically, if WoW has scarred you, GW2 will make you feel better. Now granted, there are people who never allowed themselves to be mind raped by WoW or its many clones, so the enthusiasm is more objective based and less, "oh my god im free at last" based. Its a well made themepark mmo and the combat is fun.

Actually, the game that seriously scarred me was FFXI.  I liked it in so many ways, but holy fuck, spending literally a whole week waiting 2 hours a night trying to put a group together, when 2 hours was all I had, and when there was literally NO content a 1 man... or even 2 man group could do that was meaningful at my level.

People can have all sorts of reasons for playing GW2, just like people can have all sorts of reasons for NOT playing GW2.  It's sort of insulting to lump us all into one giant group of rejected WoW players, just like it'd be sort of insulting to lump all non-GW2 fans as one giant group of people who wish every game was Darkfall. (No offense to Darkfall players!  If it makes you feel better, I was originally going to say 'wish every game was Xsyon', but I wasn't sure if there were actually fans of Xsyon out there anymore.  At least I know Darkfall has fans!)

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Azzkicka

Im at the same point of view.  It seems like a decent/good game, but i just dont get the hype.This weekend was my first beta after pre-ordering the gmae a few days before and i have to say i found myself bored and unable to play for more then 1 hour at a time.Most of the time i felt like i was just watching my character instead of playing him with the way the combat works atleast at lower levels.

That is absolutely not true. Combat is very involved requiring you to actively perticipate rather than stand there and hit the same buttons over and over. Only in early events can you just stand there.

GW2 is not a game that will appeal to everyone, but is definitely a fun game that anyone not jaded to MMOs will be playing for a long time. Fortunately for the OP there are plenty of traditional games to play, so go play one of those.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

To me it seems like the negative posts about GW2 are what are causing this over hyping. Every day I come on this website and see some new post about GW2 being Pay 2 Win, or it being garbage, or some other such post, and people fighting about GW2 like there's a civil war going on. GW2 claims to do something different, and some people latched on to that, I know I have, and because its a game they hang their hopes on they feel they need to defend it, and seemingly almost daily. Its almost like the current political climate: people have become so polarized about GW2 you either have to think its the messiah or its doing nothing new and  is P2W garbage. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

I... I think you don't understand the difference between subjective and objective.  D:

Video games and reviews/previews/whatever thereof are almost wholly subjective, because it's comprised out of a bunch of subjective things.

Fun is a subjective activity.

Enjoyment of art style, music, even styles of gameplay, all subjective.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

These posts make me laugh.

Same here, slowly but surely we are starting to see these posters waning and dropping off in these forums. It's time for it to happen too considering just how much data is freely open to the public, just how many promises have been fulfilled by the devs at Anet since the first time they presented their game, and just how little they can actually say about the game that's bad (Factually)  at this point. Sad really.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Meowhead
      -automatic grouping -no need to have a specific class to complete content -no sub fee -no tiered gear progression -no ganking Basically, if WoW has scarred you, GW2 will make you feel better. Now granted, there are people who never allowed themselves to be mind raped by WoW or its many clones, so the enthusiasm is more objective based and less, "oh my god im free at last" based. Its a well made themepark mmo and the combat is fun.
    Actually, the game that seriously scarred me was FFXI.  I liked it in so many ways, but holy fuck, spending literally a whole week waiting 2 hours a night trying to put a group together, when 2 hours was all I had, and when there was literally NO content a 1 man... or even 2 man group could do that was meaningful at my level.

People can have all sorts of reasons for playing GW2, just like people can have all sorts of reasons for NOT playing GW2.  It's sort of insulting to lump us all into one giant group of rejected WoW players, just like it'd be sort of insulting to lump all non-GW2 fans as one giant group of people who wish every game was Darkfall.

sorry im not lumping you all into one group. Im referring to the people that are shouting from the rooftops about the end of the trinity and gear treadmills. those are usually the ones that have been driven crazy by WoW type mechanics. Its a vocal minority. They are usually the same ones that say you're brainwashed if you dont like GW2. They assume you love gear treadmills and the like which isnt always the case.
  • NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, mostly from GW2 fanboys.

Sure the game is not what you expect from a MMO there is no quest hub A+B+C ect, but the points is either if you klick a  ! npc or run into a area you still get a quest to kill shit, its basicly the same thing, true its fun to run around and suddenly  a event open up and players come to gether to fight off whatever it is, its still not something innovating its still the same thing that looking up a ! and do the quest.

I will not say much more than that but I will buy the game and see what's offer later when you can get to more max level.

"Quests" are dynamic and branching. If players wander into an area, get attacked by centaurs, but fail to push back the centaurs then the centaurs will hold the area and branch out attacking other areas. Most of the events in the game seem to be dynamic, multi-stage, that branch out into either/or situations. The end effect is the world feels more alive than other past MMOs.

I... I think you don't understand the difference between subjective and objective.  D:

Video games and reviews/previews/whatever thereof are almost wholly subjective, because it's comprised out of a bunch of subjective things.

Fun is a subjective activity.

Enjoyment of art style, music, even styles of gameplay, all subjective.

Semantics.

Initially my playtime was subjective, but in trying to understand the "hype", I tried approaching the game objectively.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I think the OP is refering to threads like this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355084 (the dude is serious)

I've seen a couple like this, the hype has been unreal.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Word of mouth is what got me personally excited a few months back. I think it's the most likely cause for it having hype, as back then, there just wasn't all that much hype from ArenaNet that I saw. I barely even knew the game existed till one of my friends mentioned it. 

And then I played it and now I like it a lot. And so I shall spread my hype seed to other friends that might be skeptical through word of mouth. I have some complaints here and there and ArenaNet will likely make their own improvements with time, but overall it's just a fairly awesome game right now. And without a sub to boot.

I find it strange that a person would literally not be able to understand where hype comes from. Usually it comes from either advertising through the developers or word of mouth. GW2 has recently started recieving a healthy dose of ArenaNet based hype but has also recieved an incredible amount of word of mouth hype.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Games pretty cool. just had a blast before they pulled a patch on me.

sorry im not lumping you all into one group. Im referring to the people that are shouting from the rooftops about the end of the trinity and gear treadmills. those are usually the ones that have been driven crazy by WoW type mechanics. Its a vocal minority. They are usually the same ones that say you're brainwashed if you dont like GW2. They assume you love gear treadmills and the like which isnt always the case.

Like I said, FFXI was the one that made me hate the trinity (Or more specifically, heavily role dependent grouping.  Damn you white mages, why were you all Japanese at the stupid times of night I was awake?).  WoW didn't last long enough for me to hate the gear treadmill in it.

There's a lot of ways to hate the trinity!  Though I've played a lot of games pre-GW2 that weren't heavily trinity dependent, like City of Heroes and Champions Online, and PSO (Yes, not an MMORPG).

Oh god, I was so angry in PSU when people were trying to tell me as a force that my job was to cast healing magic and any NON casting of healing magic was me wasting my magic when their hunter was standing around blocking with their face like some sort of complete retard.

I think there's as many reasons to dislike GW2 as there are to like it, and my problem is with the people who can't understand how the other group exists.  It's like so many people were raised in socities where there's absolutely no such thing as personal taste.  I'm assuming they were raised by robots in a totalitarian future dystopic society.

Every time I read a topic where the main thrust of the argument is 'and if you disagree with my tastes, it's obviously because you're retarded and/or deluding yousrelf', I just smack my forehead.  Sadly, MMORPG.com has left a permanent hand shaped print on my face. :T

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

its still diffreant they grabbign quest and doing it all be yourself or sit there look for a party when you get the same reqards as long as you help so its like your raiding but your not at the same time with a few things : )

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

People are excited about the game...  Why is it a crime to be excited about a game?  Trolls are so much more pathetic than fanboys..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Semantics.

Initially my playtime was subjective, but in trying to understand the "hype", I tried approaching the game objectively.

... and failed, because all reviews of entertainment are, by their very nature, subjective.

Sorry.

Semantics are super important, because they're talking about the very fine details of language, and language is the most robust tool we have for attempting to understand each other's thoughts.  Semantics are SUPER important.

You should realize that reviews are subjective.  That's an important thing to carry through the rest of your life, it'll save a lot of heartache.

The very fact that people disagree with you shows that you don't have an objective review, unless your whole viewpoint is 'I'm saying this because I'm honest, the other people are saying that because they're lying to themselves and they secretly in their heart of hearts, agree with me'.  In which case you shouldn't post anyway, because obviously everybody is super deluded and you're just wasting your time.

Semantics.

... and failed, because all reviews of entertainment are, by their very nature, subjective.

Sorry.

Semantics are super important, because they're talking about the very fine details of language, and language is the most robust tool we have for attempting to understand each other's thoughts.  Semantics are SUPER important.

You should realize that reviews are subjective.  That's an important thing to carry through the rest of your life, it'll save a lot of heartache.

The very fact that people disagree with you shows that you don't have an objective review, unless your whole viewpoint is 'I'm saying this because I'm honest, the other people are saying that because they're lying to themselves and they secretly in their heart of hearts, agree with me'.  In which case you shouldn't post anyway, because obviously everybody is super deluded and you're just wasting your time.

Dude, give me a break.  I used the wrong word.  You got me.  Does it make you feel better correcting me? 

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Originally posted by Torrmwyre
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

You don't understand it. Many do. Thus, they promote the game as a solid title to their friends. This is what you call 'hype'.

There you go.

That make no sence at all.

Made sense to me. :) I think he is talking about word of mouth and how it has spread to his friends. Thus, the hype! 

This game is hyped from THIS site and fanboys there is no word of mouth, get real.

I think the 10 million-something beta signups might disagree with you.

I think you dont know the mening what word of mouth means hence my disscustion with another guy, your post is moot, sorry.

meaning and discussion.

I always find when trying to bring a strong argument it is imperative to spell the words correctly.  If not, it can be very distracting and it takes away from the point you are trying to make.

I was on the fence for a very long time, but what pushed me over is the world, professions, and honestly b2p.  I really like the idea of an explorable world, especially underwater.  This games seems to reward explorers.  I really do hope that it turns into a great game and they keep the cash shop the way it is and never turn it into p2w.  Lotro promised the same thing, but greed got to them.  Anyway, here is to hopefully a long and successful game.

This discussion has been closed.