Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the hype

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from [mod edit]

Sure the game is not what you expect from a MMO there is no quest hub A+B+C ect, but the points is either if you klick a  ! npc or run into a area you still get a quest to kill shit, its basicly the same thing, true its fun to run around and suddenly  a event open up and players come to gether to fight off whatever it is, its still not something innovating its still the same thing that looking up a ! and do the quest.

I will not say much more than that but I will buy the game and see what's offer later when you can get to more max level.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69

i am the same, i keep telling myself its beta. i hate playing betas i just think whats the point i am going to lose my char working for nothing. 

i find myself loging in for 10 mins at a time all i can stand. i paid for the game, no sub cant be bad i am sure i will be playing for months and check it out whenever i feel like. right now though thats whats keeping me watching the game. all ready paid and no sub.

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Some people will love it some wont.

Personally I am with you, I feel it dont lives upto the hype (but then what does these days?)

Its a fair game, technically its pretty sound but it does not add anything that makes me want to rush out and grab it. (Yes I played the BEWs) WvW was my big hope, as an old DAOC player I was hoping WvW would be enough to make me really want to buy the game, its not.

Fair play to those who are excited to buy and play the game and I hope they enjoy thier time in GW2's. I just wont be one of them.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Cool guys. Nothing wrong with not liking it. It won't please everyone. I don't think you can lump all those that do into fanboys though. We all have our reasons for enjoying the game. if you don't get (like) it, that's cool. no need for namecalling though.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Yeah I don't really get the hype either.  Sometimes I think I've played a different game to the one people praise so much on this site.

I went to my old room mates place to go retry the BW, he had LOTR online on instead image ............He got a refund and told me he just didn't like the feel.

I think it's the arcadey feel that puts me off.  Oh well, I hope a lot of people enjoy it.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, [mod edit]

Sure the game is not what you expect from a MMO there is no quest hub A+B+C ect, but the points is either if you klick a  ! npc or run into a area you still get a quest to kill shit, its basicly the same thing, true its fun to run around and suddenly  a event open up and players come to gether to fight off whatever it is, its still not something innovating its still the same thing that looking up a ! and do the quest.

I will not say much more than that but I will buy the game and see what's offer later when you can get to more max level.

Thats ok, we dont get you either, perhaps we will see you in the next great MMO.

This has got to be one of the most stress-free MMOs i have played in a long time, no looking for a healer or a tank, lots of exploration, excellent sound effects and beautiful artwork.

Ya, I like GW2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I think it's the arcadey feel that puts me off.  Oh well, I hope a lot of people enjoy it.

Im an ANET fan but i agree

GW2 seems to have an arcade feel but im adapting to it

I have not been hyping GW2 on the forums tho, I recognize everyone has different tastes

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You're not alone.  I don't get it either.   For me, it's almost akin to trying to understand the "WoW" addiction (not saying the games are alike)...I just don't see it.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

As some of you says this not my kind of game, well that wasent my question from the start was it?

Was just asking where the hype coming from.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

These posts make me laugh.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Originally posted by FelixMajor

These posts make me laugh.

Me too.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, mostly from GW2 fanboys.

You don't understand it. Many do. Thus, they promote the game as a solid title to their friends. This is what you call 'hype'.

There you go.

Originally posted by StrixMaxima

You don't understand it. Many do. Thus, they promote the game as a solid title to their friends. This is what you call 'hype'.

There you go.

I think the OP is referring to the over-zealous nature of the promoting going on in these forums.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Leethe

Cool guys. Nothing wrong with not liking it. It won't please everyone. I don't think you can lump all those that do into fanboys though. We all have our reasons for enjoying the game. if you don't get (like) it, that's cool. no need for namecalling though.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I see the strenghts and the weaknesses behind this game.

Combat : weakness ( I can see what they are trying to do with it, but  cooldowns kinda kill it)  5/10

Animations : Mediocre 6/10

Environment: Amazing... (have you seen Divinitys Reach? Holy ****) 8/10 Cities: 10/10

Voice Acting/Script: Weakness 4/10

Story: Weakness/Mediocre 6/10

PvP: decent but nothing to write home about 5/10

Sound: 6.5/10

Overall: 6-7/10 Because it is B2P and it does bring a lot to the table, but the only thing perfected was the environments

~~~~~~~~~~

I only rate it this way because I have played just about every sub based game out there and PvP was done better by DAoC, Story/Script/ Voice acting/ and sounds were done way better in TSW. Animations are nothing to write home about and should get improved if they dont plan to then meh.

Its just hard to see why everyone is up in arms about how amazing this game is. I really did enjoy the environments  though...When I entered the Human City Divinity's Reach my jaw about hit the floor, its actually a city... a huge city. Not some small bank/auction/crafting table area. No its an actual city. But that is all I saw that was just overwhelmingly good.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• nikooo0nikooo0 Member Posts: 25

I really hate reading posts like this, makes me not want to play the game, hopefully aerowyn comments on this post and makes me feel hopeful that its a good game again lmao

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, mostly from GW2 fanboys.

There you go.

That make no sence at all.

Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by grimal

There you go.

I think the OP is referring to the over-zealous nature of the promoting going on in these forums.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

There you go.

Made sense to me. :) I think he is talking about word of mouth and how it has spread to his friends. Thus, the hype! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Im at the same point of view.  It seems like a decent/good game, but i just dont get the hype.

This weekend was my first beta after pre-ordering the gmae a few days before and i have to say i found myself bored and unable to play for more then 1 hour at a time.

Most of the time i felt like i was just watching my character instead of playing him with the way the combat works atleast at lower levels.

• WhyhateWhyhate Member Posts: 41

GW2 looks to be a fun themepark for the casual crowd, and it's one of the reasons im buying it, i can just play 30 minutes a day and get something done, or jump in the WwW for some PVP.

It's a good thing, but it has a downside.

I don't see myself playing GW2 for years.... once i finish all the content, the WwW won't be enough.

But that's just me, i love story content and PVE, but i also need things like housing, deep crafting, open world GvG pvp, you know.... sandboxy stuff.

Ok, I'll take a stab at your question.  I think people are over-hyping this game because many see it as the last great hope for the year.  It's the last major studio MMO coming out for a while.  People are still very very angry over TOR and that anger pushed them, rather blindly, into the arms of GW2.  For every reason I read for people "loving" the game, behind that reason is "it's the game Anet has promised".  People are so burned in feeling lied to by the developers over the years, that they see ANET as some knight in shining armor.

Well, I don't buy it. ANET may be pretty transparent thus far with what they have shown but it doesn't hide that the game is a boring, shallow, uninspired effort that is being propelled by a large group of rather blind zealots.

/rantdone

edited for grammatical errors.

Edit: I also think it's a lot safer in overhyping a B2P game that a sub-based one.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Yes I have played the Gw2 beta for several times now over the past months, and yes I find it  a solid game, cred for devs but what I don't understand where all these hype coming from, mostly from GW2 fanboys.Sure the game is not what you expect from a MMO there is no quest hub A+B+C ect, but the points is either if you klick a  ! npc or run into a area you still get a quest to kill shit, its basicly the same thing, true its fun to run around and suddenly  a event open up and players come to gether to fight off whatever it is, its still not something innovating its still the same thing that looking up a ! and do the quest.I will not say much more than that but I will buy the game and see what's offer later when you can get to more max level. 

-automatic grouping
    -no need to have a specific class to complete content
    -no sub fee
    -no tiered gear progression
    -no ganking

Basically, if WoW has scarred you, GW2 will make you feel better. Now granted, there are people who never allowed themselves to be mind raped by WoW or its many clones, so the enthusiasm is more objective based and less, "oh my god im free at last" based. Its a well made themepark mmo and the combat is fun.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Amjoco

There you go.

Made sense to me. :) I think he is talking about word of mouth and how it has spread to his friends. Thus, the hype! 

This game is hyped from THIS site and fanboys there is no word of mouth, get real.

I think the 10 million-something beta signups might disagree with you.

Originally posted by Torrmwyre
    Originally posted by Amjoco

There you go.

This game is hyped from THIS site and fanboys there is no word of mouth, get real.

I think the 10 million-something beta signups might disagree with you.

I think you dont know the mening what word of mouth means hence my disscustion with another guy, your post is moot, sorry.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I've enjoyed the hell out of the BWE.  Almost all my friends playing it are playing it because I told them about it.  Word of mouth.

I only told the friends I thought would be interested.  I have some other friends who are playing TSW and don't want to do GW2, or who are looking forward to Planetside 2.  ... so yes, much of the hype is word of mouth.  Or are you asking why is it specifically so highly hyped on THIS site?  I can't answer for all the people on this site.

The people who write articles for this site are super excited for EVERY big name game though.  They're pretty happy people I think.  They were psyched about SWTOR, they were psyched about TSW, they're psyched about GW2.  They don't spend a whole lot of time ranting about how much they hate MMORPGs nowadays, which is maybe how they got hired to a site that is ostensibly about loving MMORPGs.

One reason I think it has high hype is that while, like ANY MMORPG, it will have people who will really like it and people who won't.... without a subscription, the investment in the game is significantly less, so it reaches deeper into the 'only moderately interested' crowd than a sub game will.

This discussion has been closed.