Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Ultima Online still worth playing today?

2»

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's in 2d.....who the heck playes a 2d game in 2012?......

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Just needs an IPad/Andriod client and plenty would play it.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I still keep my UO sub because I like my keep :) I love decorating my house up for each holiday lol. Will prob be subbed until it goes offline and have been since the game started :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Fargo71Fargo71 Member Posts: 6

I play UO because of the community. Just take a look at what one group of players on Europa have created, it is a museum celebrating 15 years of Ultima:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EOGamerUltimaOnline

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

After years of WoW and playig many others, I've been looking for a sandbox with much content.  I've played WURM Online and like it; however, it's not one you can play, leave for a few months and return without all your hard work destroyed.  I was wondering if anyone know if there are still many players - playing and which shard is recommended for Optional PVP?  I like PVP but want to wait till later (after I grow up a bit  ..lol).  Thanks for assist.

Also - What is this Tramm thing I keep hearing about?

Anyone?

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Grumium

2D games can be just as fun as any 3d games.  There are actually alot of 2d games better then 3d.

See my Avatar.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

It's about 100 times worse than it used to be, with most of the lore butchered, the community splintered, and the mechanics WoWified.

But its still better than 99% of whats out there.

Are we able to learn all skills?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by mastersomrat

Are we able to learn all skills?

A character knows all skills from the start (besides pickpocketing and a few others, which takes a mix of certain skills). You have 700 skill points to put points into all the skills, in whatever amount you want.

• Tenk575Tenk575 Member UncommonPosts: 116

7x GM. I remember when that used to be so rare and cherished.

Last time I played, you went past GM (which was 100) and didn't max 7 skills, but combos up to I think 120??

I've played UO:Hybrid. Its a joke. I was on the top 50 board for 5x dueling before they reset it. I was also a member of the better faction guilds on the servers. Let me be the first to tell you it is an absolute joke. Hybrid is so corrupted and filled with the absolute worst type of person. I would recommend no one to play there. I had my fun on Hybrid, but even that server has died. Whatever could of even come close to what UO used to be, died with what Hybrid became. 

No. UO will never be what it was. Is it still fun? Maybe for some people. But, for me, its too painful to log on because I find myself remembering all the great times I had on the game and how there will never be a game to ever touch the experiences I had there.

UO was in my mind the best game by such a far long shot the number can't even be caluclated. 

Oh... how I miss those days.

I would go back to a pay to play server before going back to Hybrid. Hybrid captures more of the the UO:R era. But, with the shit admins and horrible playerbase, I'd play AOS. Been there and done that.

• greg4096greg4096 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by Fargo71

I play UO because of the community. Just take a look at what one group of players on Europa have created, it is a museum celebrating 15 years of Ultima:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EOGamerUltimaOnline

Only Europeans would queue that politely

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Not really, no. Most of the things that once made it special have been stripped away. Then they started ruining the game world and story adding elves and ninjas and other nonsense.
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I miss old school UO :"(

Funny you mentioned that.  I remember a while back and I mean awhile back, that they were thinking of having a shard for the old school UO as it was in the late 90's.  I swear I read that somewhere, but then they came out and said they were not going to do that. 

Anyone else remember that?

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I miss old school UO :"(

Funny you mentioned that.  I remember a while back and I mean awhile back, that they were thinking of having a shard for the old school UO as it was in the late 90's.  I swear I read that somewhere, but then they came out and said they were not going to do that. 

Anyone else remember that?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's still a great game. I've been subscribed to it since it released. I don't play it very often anymore, but I do pop on from time to time to get my vet gifts, holiday gifts, to chat with people and decorate my keep for holidays, and the occasional idoc :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I went back within the last year.  Content trumps graphics for me and I've played a lot of UO on various servers over the years.

The problem with the modern day UO is WAY over itemization.  I must say I enjoyed vanq/power/force might days for the gear.  Now there are all these crazy stats and I dunno it just turned into an items game.

They also ranomized the ore spawns which is ok but a dumb idea after a decade.  Add the fact they roasted their own backups and set everyone bakc a few weeks and even EA has to be a bit suprised people still pay.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I still like the game, but not a big fan of the new skill system, or the new magical crafting type system.  I wish it would be more along the lines of older UO for the skills, and then more content in that style.  I was subbed not long ago, and played the 2D client...Just not a big fan of the more current changes.
  • TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Azrile
    Originally posted by csthao
    Originally posted by GeminiStatic

WHat changed though? I just want that Ultimate Sandbox experience. 

The game became materialistic. You'd need some weapons with freaked out mods to stand a chance against people. Resistances on armor was added = making all other types of clothing as strong as plate without the high strength requirement. Housing locations, back then you could put a house in the city limits and be protected by guards. Freakish fast casting / recovery (no such thing back then). Stealing in town (Was super fun to do this and get away with some nice loot). A lot more but nothing comes to mind ATM.

The one cool thing that I liked really much was the house customization. Build your house the way you like it.

I played until about a month after Age of Shadow.  What killed it for me was just the sudden transition from non-gear to gear-based game.  Before AOS, crafted gear was good, and you could also get cool stuff from mobs... but most of your ´power´ was in your own ability to control your character.  After AOS, your gear became you... and it didn´t come from crafting, it was all about killing a crapload of mobs to get diablo style loot.

The fun part of UO for me was always about player housing and the economy.  I loved having a huge store with repeat customers.  I also loved going into dungeons with new players for no other reason than to test our abilities to control the spawns.  After AOS, the only thing anyone ever wanted to do was grind some spot for gear. 

Many people think Trammel was the end of UO.. I think it was the transition to item-based gameplay that ruined it.

Is it worth playing today?  Probably not.  A sandbox game needs an interactive community and decent population. UO has lost both.

Was the same for me.  Left just after AoS and was bothered by the magic properties and battle focus addition.  I could see it being used for certian actions, but just walking around kind of irritated me.  I have revisited it from time to time and have been now put off by the gear just seemingly out of control.  I don't know where people get all this gear that enables them to ignore skills completely.  I don't know if it is crafted or if it is now some loot from somewhere, or what.

That said; I have been feeling nostalgic lately.  I have been thinking I will revisit and see if some old friends can be found.  Have to look up what a good build would be for a character and maybe just start a new one from scratch to learn what UO has become from the ground up.  I would check out the alternatives that shall not be mentioned on these forums for that old feel, but it is the chance of finding those old friends  that I think is really drawing me away from that idea.