Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet are quick to Hotfix

Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I'm not sure how many people experienced this, but Friday night for some reason I couldn't see any spell effects. Sure some people don't like the excessive spell effects of GW2 but to me this bug basically made the game unplayable. Since all I've really done in these betas is PvP and it's hard to counter my opponent when I don't know what they are doing. So I bug report it and stop playing. Along comes Saturday and the game starts patching and what do you know, I can see my gun shots.

Having been in all the beta weekend events, this has really become a trend. Friday the game plays like a$$, Saturday they hotfix the game so it's better, then Sunday they hotfix it again so it's close to how it's intended. Sure this does mean that come launch day the game will play like a$$, but at least ArenaNet will be quick to hotfix it.

Comments

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I agree with you, except that it didn't play like as the first day of the first BWE or this one. It had some issues the first day of BWE #2, which got fixed within a few hours.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I felt quite comfortable with fixes being applied in a Guild Wars like fashion - Server announcement: Client update available server restart in 3 minutes....

7 minutes later: Client updated and right back to where I was. Not like the "Weekly 4 hour realm maintenance" you see in some other MMO's.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Halandir

I felt quite comfortable with fixes being applied in a Guild Wars like fashion - Server announcement: Client update available server restart in 3 minutes....

7 minutes later: Client updated and right back to where I was. Not like the "Weekly 4 hour realm maintenance" you see in some other MMO's.

Yeah, it kind of makes you wonder why is it that ArenaNet had the tech to do these streaming updates half a decade ago, yet other MMOs are stuck doing the whole weekly server maintenance crap. The worst I've seen lately was with SW:TOR, where their server mainainance also seemed to occur doing EU prime time, because they couldn't figure out how to give each region their own server downtime period.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

They explained that they can release patches without any downtime - you will just have a notice that you have to restart your client. Next gen technology for the win.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

... Next gen technology for the win.

Many will think so... GW vets have experienced this for the last 7 years :)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Halandir
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

... Next gen technology for the win.

Many will think so... GW vets have experienced this for the last 7 years :)

I've played GW1 too. GW1 was (and still is) NOT a MMORPG. Being able to apply the same system to a fully fledged MMORPG is still quite impressive.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !