Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 vs TSW

Comments

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

For me so far it's the other way around, GW2 will so far seem like it'll become my main with TSW as a close secondary game.

What GW2 does better (IMHO)

• Art direction, though I know this is subjective.
    • Combat in general, specially in the variety. I find TSW combat very fun, but can be a bit repetitive since no matter what role you're playing, you usually end up doing the same builder - finisher +  few utility skills. The different classes in GW2 actually make the combat feel different depending on which class you play, again IMHO.
    • The world does feel alive. This might be subjective as well, but I felt more like being in a real world in GW2 than on TSW.
    • PvP. i just find it much more fun.
    • Exploration. There's very little to explore in TSW (so far, that is) just for the heck of it, though it does fit to the game lore that we're not just aimlessly exploring in that game.
    • Animation. The animations in TSW improved from beta, but my main gripe is still there and it's the lack of personality. To put an example, I'd use Final Fantasy Spirits Within and Monsters Inc (just to use two movies released on the same year). From a technical point of view, the Final Fantasy movie was great... but the character movement were so stiff that I just couldn't shake the idea that I was watching CGI... while Monsters Inc., while being a lot less technically impressive, had no problems with making me believe I was watching really alive characters with their own personality.
    • Non linearity. There are just more options of where to go for each level, and I can go back to previous zones to play on them without them being meaningless because of how much I'd overpower them. TSW is much more linear in where you're supposed to go for each "level" (or QL).
    • Fun factor... I just feel it slightly more here than in TSW (this is highly subjective).
    What TSW does better (again IMHO)
    • Graphic technology. The graphics look more advanced in TSW when compared to GW2 (note, this is different to art direction).
    • Story. I like it a lot better in TSW.
    • Atmosphere. The general athmosphere of this game I really like, very appropiate for the setting.
    • Cutscenes (tied to story). I love GW2 more stylized style of cutscenes, but I like a little bit more the cinematic style used in TSW (note that I said the same of TOR cutscenes, even if I never played the game and only saw them on youtube).
    Note that if I say one thing a game does better, doesn't mean I don't like it on the other game, though. Also I left out some things that I thought were too dissimilar to compare (GW2 dynamic events Vs. TSW quests, or the setting and lore of the worlds, for example) I'm playing TSW now, and while I'll probably take a break when GW2 releases, I will most likely keep both around and try to play both at different times.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Shana77
    Originally posted by grapevine
    You do realise GW2 combat is very similar in style, but with less depth and variation? What makes GW2's combat feel more fluid, is simply down to a better quality of animations. Edit: However agree, GW2 PvP is way better.

Actually GW2's combat isn't simply just more fluid and better animated. It is far, far deeper then TSW's combat. And I'm not even talking about the fact that GW2 has 15 active skills with weapon swap compared to a measly 7 for TSW.  

In Guild Wars 2, the boons and condition system means you have tons more variables per move to consider. Many skills add multiple buffs to allies and multiple conditions to foes. To master this system and to figure out which skill is ideal in each situation may take many months wereas in TSW each skill has at most one buff or condition. 

Then you got to learn the combo system. You have to learn how to weapon swap to maximize the combo system. 

Then you got learn how to combine combo's with other players and proffesions. To create optimal cross proffesion combo's is the kind of depth and complexity that sadly lacks in any other mmo, but TSW certainly doesn't come close. Aside from the cookie cutter stuff there is nothing there in TSW that goes deep at all. The only depth in TSW's combat is figuring out which skills to pick in the ability wheel. When your done with that, the rest of the combo is simple and mundane at best. 

GW2 does not have 15 active skills.  You can only use the skills for the equiped weapon.   By that definition I can swap out way more combination in TSW, and end up with more skills.

You seriously think just running around spamming attacks that aoe anything in front of you has more depth?

GW2 is a good game, but it by no means has an indepth combat system.  Animations aside, TSW wipes the floor with it in that area.

You seriously think just running around spamming attacks that aoe anything in front of you has more depth? 

GW2 is a good game, but it by no means has an indepth combat system.  Animations aside, TSW wipes the floor with it in that area.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    You do realise GW2 combat is very similar in style, but with less depth and variation? What makes GW2's combat feel more fluid, is simply down to a better quality of animations. Edit: However agree, GW2 PvP is way better.

Actually GW2's combat isn't simply just more fluid and better animated. It is far, far deeper then TSW's combat. And I'm not even talking about the fact that GW2 has 15 active skills with weapon swap compared to a measly 7 for TSW.  

In Guild Wars 2, the boons and condition system means you have tons more variables per move to consider. Many skills add multiple buffs to allies and multiple conditions to foes. To master this system and to figure out which skill is ideal in each situation may take many months wereas in TSW each skill has at most one buff or condition. 

Then you got to learn the combo system. You have to learn how to weapon swap to maximize the combo system. 

Then you got learn how to combine combo's with other players and proffesions. To create optimal cross proffesion combo's is the kind of depth and complexity that sadly lacks in any other mmo, but TSW certainly doesn't come close. Aside from the cookie cutter stuff there is nothing there in TSW that goes deep at all. The only depth in TSW's combat is figuring out which skills to pick in the ability wheel. When your done with that, the rest of the combo is simple and mundane at best. 

GW2 does not have 15 active skills.  You can only use the skills for the equiped weapon.   By that definition I can swap out way more combination in TSW, and end up with more skills.

+1 and after watching some GW2 vids I don't think that TSW animations are any inferior. GW2 will be the best f2p MMO for sure, just hope ANet won't concentrate too much on cash shop.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    You have way more than 15 active skills in combat in gw2 with weapon swapping.

In tsw you have to be out of combat to swap, which is a big difference.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I agree with OP. You would think I would be inching to play GW2 this weekend but TSW is so good, i didn't even both to download this beta version. I will play when game goes live but TSW will be my main.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

TSW = PVE + thinking +no classes

GW2 = PVP +action+PVP

choose one or both.

/thread

Originally posted by Kuppa

Not really.   As you don't get to select most of those skills in GW2.   The difference between the two is in TSW all skills are what you want.  In GW2, you'll likely not use them all.    That is the difference, as one will use all skills often in TSW.  In GW2, one won't.

TSW has the more complex combat system, which is tuned and changed to fit multiple rolls, by the player.  GW2 its pretty much fixed skills given to you by the game.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

GW2 does not have 15 active skills.  You can only use the skills for the equiped weapon.   By that definition I can swap out way more combinations in TSW, and end up with more skills.  TSW has allows for 7 active and 7 passive, of your selection (for which you've earned).  Not only that, but what passives you select can change how the active skills (you've selected) work.  

You're forgetting GW2 has passive traits

You seriously think just running around spamming attacks that aoe anything in front of you has more depth?  Also GW2 has a very low level of skils one can actually select.

And you don't do that in TSW? I've seen plenty of people in TSW and GW2 just stand idling and spam 1 button. You're always going to see noob players spamming the 1 button.

Depends on preference, but let's not get the fanboyism get rutted in your head.

Noobs in TSW are usually the spammers.  Just running around, like in GW2 aoeing everying with one or two attacks.   Just because you can do it in TSW, doesn't mean that's all it can offer.

I'm not forgetting passives in GW2.  As I said you get to select skill, but very few and they limited.

I ain't a TSW fanboi, and I think that can be seen with my posts on GW2.  I've already said I enjoy it and will be playing it.  I'm just not blind to its shortfalls compaired to TSW.   Likewise the shortfalls TSW has, compaired to GW2.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I agree with the OP to a certain degree, I am burnt out of these high fantasy mmo's we have been getting for the last decade, some players love it and can gobble it up, but I need something different now.

I am not knocking players that love GW2, but at this point I am giving this style off mmo a break since you can get any version of high fantasy mmorpg now since we got a gazillion of them and most of them are F2P as well.

I will buy GW2, but you won't see me waiting for the countdown to race to level cap and say I completed this game in these many hours. I am looking for a game I can immerse myself in and feel like I am a part of something (PreCU SWG, DAOC, Eve and Anarchy Online had that feel).

I hope The Repopulation is a success, now that looks like what a MMORPG should be all about, not these lobby syte mmo's we repetitively play. For now, TSW trumps GW2 in my game style of playing, but since GW2 is a B2P game, I will just pop in and out of it and keep TSW as my main.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    @ grapevine
    Not sure we're you're coming up with that as I use all my 35 ele skills active at one time. Btw we are taking about active skills.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Well this is a troll and fanboy inducing topic if I have ever seen one!

The difference for me is not combat, it's not animations...it's what am I going to be doing this in this game in a few months?  I think for GW2 I will be having fun pvping, while in TSW I just saw myself running the same damn dungeons over and over again for purple gear.  The pvp and crafting were both shallow in TSW, so once you complete the story that was pretty much it...oh but there will be one raid maybe by the end of the August and there's those awesome lair bosses that you can grind for to try to summon. 

It's just personal opinion, and I do thank you OP for at least starting the thread out with 'personally'.  Many here spout out there opinions like it's fact :)

@ grapevine
    Not sure we're you're coming up with that as I use all my 35 ele skills active at one time. Btw we are taking about active skills.

Ele is unique in GW2, due to the state switching and weapon switching.   Other classes get a handful.   Those ~35 skills are also fixed and aren't all active.   You have to switch stance, and weapons.  Also a high number fall under a skill surplus, which won't get used.

Being able to press buttons, no matter how many, don't make a complex combat system.   It what you can do with the skills at hand, and how flexible the system allows you to be with them.

*edited, to tidy up.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

You have way more than 15 active skills in combat in gw2 with weapon swapping.In tsw you have to be out of combat to swap, which is a big difference.
    Lies.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Not really.   As you don't get to select most of those skills in GW2.   The difference between the two is in TSW all skills are what you want.  In GW2, you'll likely not use them all.    That is the difference, as one will use all skills often in TSW.  In GW2, one won't.

TSW is a lot like GW1 - Lots of skills and many of them useless. Its an illusion of choice to believe you can pick any skills YOU want and MAKE it work.  You can pick any skills you want, but doesn't mean it'll function correctly. Obviously you want active skills that tie to your passives, you want your deck to synergies together. Yah you can pick any skills you want, but then you're not going to have a great deck, exactly like GW1. And don't forget, the branched circle skills has progression, its not total freedom.

TSW has the more complex combat system, which is tuned by the player.  GW2 it pretty much fixed skills given to you by the game.

Fanyboyism is getting rutted through your head. That's your opinion, but don't state it as a fact.

Originally posted by Nitth

You have way more than 15 active skills in combat in gw2 with weapon swapping.In tsw you have to be out of combat to swap, which is a big difference.

Lies.

Cmon now, you shouldn't be lying either. It's true TSW you can't swap weapons or decks per say until out of combat, whereas in gw2, you can swap weapons during combat. However, in GW2 you can't switch traits or your other 5 right bar skills until out of combat.

Some class such as the elementalist has over 20+ active skills during combat

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I really liked TSW alot, I think I am growing bored of it quickly. Honestly, GW2 feels very juvenile to me, almost Freerealms like. My 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son absolutely love GW2. Don't get me wrong, that's my personal opinion.....I think it's gaming in general that I am just losing interest in.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Berikai

It's becoming more and more obvious the amount of people that are migrating to mmo's,that have been playing console games for year's.

The amount of combat animation complaint's toward's TSW say's a lot.Imo people are so used to the animation's with Halo,Call of Duty,Gear's of War etc.that they look for the same in an mmo.How can you expect the animation from a fps on a console in a pc mmo?I mean wth?If these same people played EQ they would be horrified.

My point is combat animation's in an mmo only need to be average as far as I'm concerned.The story,ambiance,quest's and the whole pve experience is what should count.Not some nonsense over a few so called graphical meaningless animation.I guess that's the new wave of thinking,who know's?

Well said, we are living now in a different generation on mmo gamers.

As you put it, todays mmo gamers would be horrified at EQ graphics / mechanics and say this game will go F2P in a few months, if they would have only been there at the start of the mmorpg phenom, they would see things differenty.

Now you gotta have 8 years of content in any new MMO, have superior graphics and has to be F2P.

Originally posted by ictown

TSW is a lot like GW1 - Lots of skills and many of them useless. Its an illusion of choice to believe you can pick any skills YOU want and MAKE it work.  You can pick any skills you want, but doesn't mean it'll function correctly. Obviously you want active skills that tie to your passives, you want your deck to synergies together. Yah you can pick any skills you want, but then you're not going to have a great deck, exactly like GW1. And don't forget, the branched circle skills has progression, its not total freedom.

TSW has the more complex combat system, which is tuned by the player.  GW2 it pretty much fixed skills given to you by the game.

Fanyboyism is getting rutted through your head. That's your opinion, but don't state it as a fact.

Yes, I agree TSW combat system is closer to GW1.  Aside from you can't buy all the skill from the cash shop, like you can in GW1.  Although the passives make TSW way more flexible.

Don't think its me being the fanboi here.   Thinking GW2 has a complex combat system is just kidding one's self.   I'll say it a again!  That however doesn't make it a good and enjoyable game.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK
    Originally posted by Berikai

It's becoming more and more obvious the amount of people that are migrating to mmo's,that have been playing console games for year's.

The amount of combat animation complaint's toward's TSW say's a lot.Imo people are so used to the animation's with Halo,Call of Duty,Gear's of War etc.that they look for the same in an mmo.How can you expect the animation from a fps on a console in a pc mmo?I mean wth?If these same people played EQ they would be horrified.

My point is combat animation's in an mmo only need to be average as far as I'm concerned.The story,ambiance,quest's and the whole pve experience is what should count.Not some nonsense over a few so called graphical meaningless animation.I guess that's the new wave of thinking,who know's?

Well said, we are living now in a different generation on mmo gamers.

As you put it, todays mmo gamers would be horrified at EQ graphics / mechanics and say this game will go F2P in a few months, if they would have only been there at the start of the mmorpg phenom, they would see things differenty.

Now you gotta have 8 years of content in any new MMO, have superior graphics and has to be F2P.

I think this is what is called trying to find a scapegoat.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I remember in SWTOR my whole screen was full of different skill buttons but I needed maybe 1/4 of them. So the number of skill buttons doesn't make a game any better. There have been some in this site who have been complaining how hard TSW combat is and there's no hand holding. It's true. You can have 500+ skills and still die if you equip crap skills without any synergy. So the argument that the more buttons the better is very light weight for me.

Originally posted by ictown

Yes, I agree TSW combat system is closer to GW1.  Aside from you can't buy them all the skill from the cash shop, like you can in GW1.  Although the passive make it TSW may more flexible.

Don't think its me being the fanboi here.   Thinking GW2 has a complex combat system is just kidding one's self.   I'll say it a again!  That however doesn't make it a good and enjoyable game.

I think they both have complex combat system. To deny GW2 doesn't have any...whatever. You don't have to buy the skills in the cash shop. If you unlock in pve or pvp, there's no need to purchase and thats what i did. gw1 did have passives sort of, such as pointing points in fast casting resulted faster casting for mesmer,etc.

Never said GW2 does have any selectable skills, just not many.  Which is true.

GW2 combat is no more as complex as WoW's really.   Its more fun though.

Never said GW2 does have any selectable skills, just not many.  Which is true.

GW2 combat is no more as complex as WoW's really.   It more fun though.

To each of their own right? I'm still waiting for my pokemon mmo, non turn based with GW1/TSW skill circle and GW2 combat with M rated story.

I think that would be WoW then, as I've heard they've done a deal with Dreamworks and Nintendo for the next expansion.

Won't get the combat system though.

This discussion has been closed.