Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 vs TSW

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    You do realise GW2 combat is very similar in style, but with less depth and variation?

What makes GW2's combat feel more fluid, is simply down to a better quality of animations.

Edit: However agree, GW2 PvP is way better.
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

cant  you just stop fan boys thread and enjoy whatever game you like?

is it bad if people like TSW ? is it bad if they like GW2 ? 2 differents kind and refreshing games why you need a VS for that?

i dont get it, just enjoy your game

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

What's the point of this "vs" thread? These games are different enough to attarct players with different appetite. Also there are enough of those who like and play both. I think that both are good games and can co-exist for years.

Personally I love TSW and the main reason I'm not interested in GW2 is because I'm done with high fantasy MMOs but this is not GW2's problem.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

As soon as I read the initial post I new that gw2 fanboy would go all gw2 fanboy on this thread. I have dabbled with GW2 beta, very limited amount of time, and haven't played TSW at all, so I have no idea what is what, but I do know there have been TONS of positive reviews for tsw. I knew this would threaten gw2 fanboy as they tend to view their preferred game as video game version of Jesus and they don't undertand that someone enjoying a different game in no way threatens the game they want.

The worst part of gw2, at least on this website, is fanboy. The game may be good but the little mmorpg jihad they engage in makes me resent gw2 just a little bit, it isn't rational, but they remind me of particularly obnoxious fans of a sports team.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I completely lost interest in TSW, and I was expecting to play both games.  For me, TSW looks like nothing more then a waste of money on a below par game.  Oh I'm sure they've done a few things right, otherwise the game wouldn't have any followers, but it really has no appeal to me. It reminds me of SWTOR and I swear I can see it following the same path as SWTOR too. I figure it will start losing alot of popularity no later then 2 months past release. There will be a steady decline as people reach the content and realize they have no interest in doing it again.   GW2 has more aspects about it, so I think I'll keep with it for longer. If I start to get bored of hunting I can WvW or instance PvP or craft or map completions or just adventure around looking for hidden areas.

So yeah, I think GW2 is a much better game for me to play.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

It's becoming more and more obvious the amount of people that are migrating to mmo's,that have been playing console games for year's.

The amount of combat animation complaint's toward's TSW say's a lot.Imo people are so used to the animation's with Halo,Call of Duty,Gear's of War etc.that they look for the same in an mmo.How can you expect the animation from a fps on a console in a pc mmo?I mean wth?If these same people played EQ they would be horrified.

My point is combat animation's in an mmo only need to be average as far as I'm concerned.The story,ambiance,quest's and the whole pve experience is what should count.Not some nonsense over a few so called graphical meaningless animation.I guess that's the new wave of thinking,who know's?

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't understand why so many of you have to try to make two good games "fight" each other.

Why can't you just be happy that there's two good MMOs that have released this summer.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Berikai

It's becoming more and more obvious the amount of people that are migrating to mmo's,that have been playing console games for year's.

The amount of combat animation complaint's toward's TSW say's a lot.Imo people are so used to the animation's with Halo,Call of Duty,Gear's of War etc.that they look for the same in an mmo.How can you expect the animation from a fps on a console in a pc mmo?I mean wth?If these same people played EQ they would be horrified.

My point is combat animation's in an mmo only need to be average as far as I'm concerned.The story,ambiance,quest's and the whole pve experience is what should count.Not some nonsense over a few so called graphical meaningless animation.I guess that's the new wave of thinking,who know's?

I don't agree. You talk like if  there weren't some great animated mmo's, there are. Even if you don't enjoy WoW, SWToR among many others, you must see that their animation is lighyears ahead of TSW, and those games are heavily focused on story, quest's and pve experience.... not that I think those are the important points but are the ones you mentioned.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Animation in WoW and SWTOR aren't great either. For example, give a Belf a two handed weapon and the torso will do a 360, while the lower half stays static. SWTOR animations are generally bland and disengaging.

LoTRO animations are terrible, and the list goes on.

The only mmos with truly decent animations are Asian ones, which tend to be more gloss than content.
  • KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

This is what worries me. Console gamers en masse demanding that mmos be console games on your PC. I want my  mmos to be mmos. Aside from sports games  i don't like console games and don't want my pc games to try and emulate them. They're really two different platforms with different capabilities, different player bases, and offering different experiences.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Animation in WoW and SWTOR aren't great either. For example, give a Belf a two handed weapon and the torso will do a 360, while the lower half stays static. SWTOR animations are generally bland and disengaging. LoTRO animations are terrible, and the list goes on. The only mmos with truly decent animations are Asian ones, which tend to be more gloss than content.

Basically TSW dropped the ball in displaying all that combat tree depth in a visual way for the player. The animations are pretty bad. It even looks like they might have just ported over Age of Conan's animations into the game. When the male character runs I keep thinking he's going to fall over to one side. It's not physically possible to keep your balance and run like that.

The thing that I liked about WoW, SWTOR, and GW2 is I can imagine a real person inside of all that gear and armor. The movements aren't too removed from real life anatomical movement. For example in SWTOR, when the character runs the legs come in closer together, the hips twist, the torso moves, the shoulders swing back and forth, the neck moves side to side to keep balance. It's believable enough.

TSW just isn't comparable. Not as bad as Lotro animations but it's not up there with the top three. What good is a complex combat skill tree if you have to squint to tell the difference between one skill and another. Each skill should be visually distinct, almost an exaggerated difference so it has character.  Like a bounty hunters death from above, or a jedi knights force leap, priests healing circle, or a warriors ground stomp. If SWTORs animations are bland and disengaging then what are TSW's animations?

Story wise TSW has GW2 beat, maybe even in atmosphere (if you like Cthulu type stuff). But in combat it's no competition, GW2 wins there. In character customization also GW2. But still if you like both games, play both. They each have their own strengths.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Instead of GW2 vs TSW, next year it will be Archage vs Elder Scrolls Online lol. We'll still be comparing graphics.

But why do we care about graphics in MMOs? That's like asking why we prefer smooth fluid computer animated cartoons to the black and white stuttery Steam Boat Willie cartoon from 1920s. You can tell a story with both types. It's just that one is more attractive, more immersive, more surreal.

Not that much difference between MMO animations and single-player game animations. Quality has to be reduced a little dynamically if there are tons of people on screen, has to take into account future gear additions for clipping issues, shouldn't cause too much latency. But MMOs have usually kept up with singler-player games.

Ultima Online was released around the same time as Diablo and Baldur's Gate. The animations were similar. A little easier when graphics were using sprites. But compare Everquest with Final Fantasy 7, or even Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (released 3 years later). The animations are basically the same. Animations can be toned down in some MMOs to reach a bigger player base who might not have an up to date gaming pc. But that's what different graphics settings are for. There's no reason why an MMO can't have the same quality animations as a single player game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I like both and will play both

GW2 has better PVP

TSW has better PVE

both are a breath of fresh air.,

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Originally posted by kurtbarlow
    I don't knw what OP was expectibg by posting this on GW2 forums. Also repsonses are typical and predictable. Good job poking the hornet's nest OP.

OP told us his opinion.

Responses told theirs.

Why do you have problem with that ?

Op gave his opinion.

Responses told theirs

I gave mine too

What do you have problem with that?

You didn't give any opinion related to the topic...
  • Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

yes tsw= great pve

gw2= for pvp.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kasta

Then let me poke it further.  I own both games and spent today playing TSW instead of GW2.  Just sayin'.

Well if I did own TSW I would be playing that also instead of a beta that will wipe my toon, you do have a subscription fee to meet after all. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I was waiting for GW2 at least 3 years. I wasnt waiting TSW at all. And after playing both I honestly think Funcom did a better job. TSW has by far better story and atmosphere, also more intriguing world. Those things appeared to  be more important for me then more varied combat.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by kasta

Then let me poke it further.  I own both games and spent today playing TSW instead of GW2.  Just sayin'.

Well if I did own TSW I would be playing that also instead of a beta that will wipe my toon, you do have a subscription fee to meet after all. :)

Yeah all of us who pay sub fees for MMOS only play it because we have sub to meet..because 15 bucks is such a huge chunk out of our total net worth. Usually it is like 'hhmmm food or MMO...decide'.

*rolls eyes*

Originally posted by KingJiggly
    You didn't give any opinion related to the topic...

And rest did? my opinion was very much about the topic that it will just act as bait and lead to flame war.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    You do realise GW2 combat is very similar in style, but with less depth and variation? What makes GW2's combat feel more fluid, is simply down to a better quality of animations. Edit: However agree, GW2 PvP is way better.

Actually GW2's combat isn't simply just more fluid and better animated. It is far, far deeper then TSW's combat. And I'm not even talking about the fact that GW2 has 15 active skills with weapon swap compared to a measly 7 for TSW.  

In Guild Wars 2, the boons and condition system means you have tons more variables per move to consider. Many skills add multiple buffs to allies and multiple conditions to foes. To master this system and to figure out which skill is ideal in each situation may take many months wereas in TSW each skill has at most one buff or condition. 

Then you got to learn the combo system. You have to learn how to weapon swap to maximize the combo system. 

Then you got learn how to combine combo's with other players and proffesions. To create optimal cross proffesion combo's is the kind of depth and complexity that sadly lacks in any other mmo, but TSW certainly doesn't come close. Aside from the cookie cutter stuff there is nothing there in TSW that goes deep at all. The only depth in TSW's combat is figuring out which skills to pick in the ability wheel. When your done with that, the rest of the combo is simple and mundane at best. 

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Shana77
    You do realise GW2 combat is very similar in style, but with less depth and variation? What makes GW2's combat feel more fluid, is simply down to a better quality of animations. Edit: However agree, GW2 PvP is way better.

Actually GW2's combat isn't simply just more fluid and better animated. It is far, far deeper then TSW's combat. And I'm not even talking about the fact that GW2 has 15 active skills with weapon swap compared to a measly 7 for TSW.  

In Guild Wars 2, the boons and condition system means you have tons more variables per move to consider. Many skills add multiple buffs to allies and multiple conditions to foes. To master this system and to figure out which skill is ideal in each situation may take many months wereas in TSW each skill has at most one buff or condition. 

Then you got to learn the combo system. You have to learn how to weapon swap to maximize the combo system. 

Then you got learn how to combine combo's with other players and proffesions. To create optimal cross proffesion combo's is the kind of depth and complexity that sadly lacks in any other mmo, but TSW certainly doesn't come close. Aside from the cookie cutter stuff there is nothing there in TSW that goes deep at all. The only depth in TSW's combat is figuring out which skills to pick in the ability wheel. When your done with that, the rest of the combo is simple and mundane at best. 

I don't get you guys. people always complaing games like WOW and EQ2 had way too many skills give us less. GW did that and now TSW. But somehow GW was  very complex and deep due to less skills but TSW is not? so what is the right numbe for skills to make it deeper? what is the magic number?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

If were using the swapping argument, i could switch a deck on the fly. giving me endless possibilities  

TSW Group synergies do exactly the same thing, argument is void.

Tsw doesnt have an equivalent, Closest thing would be weapon synergies.

Again group synergies, argument is void.

In summary, Both games are at or near equal complexity.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• WookieebobWookieebob Member UncommonPosts: 60

I don't knw what OP was expectibg by posting this on GW2 forums. Also repsonses are typical and predictable.

Good job poking the hornet's nest OP.

OP told us his opinion.

Responses told theirs.

OP's post was his opinion, the responses after it were stated as pure fact.  I think that out of all the things I dislike about GW2, the rabid, smug fanboys are at the top of the list. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's certainly not great. I'll just leave my opinion at that.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

TSW is like GW1, lots of skills. It's a branched skill circle. It's an illusion of choice, you may think you have 500 choices of skills, but to make the most of the builds and weapon synergies you have to group skills that work, which restricts you to pick certain skills. That's exactly the problem GW1 had. GW2 more or less, gets rid of that problem with the reduced amount of skills.

Honestly most games with M rated has a better story than a T rated game, don't you think.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Wookieebob

I don't knw what OP was expectibg by posting this on GW2 forums. Also repsonses are typical and predictable.

Good job poking the hornet's nest OP.

OP told us his opinion.

Responses told theirs.

OP's post was his opinion, the responses after it were stated as pure fact.  I think that out of all the things I dislike about GW2, the rabid, smug fanboys are at the top of the list. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's certainly not great. I'll just leave my opinion at that.

I give GW2 a 7.5 rating and TSW a 6 rating. Don't worry no game are worthy a 10 for me, yet. GW2 is a good game, TSW is a good game, but BOTH games aren't that GREAT nor BAD.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

TSW - May give it a look 6 months down the road. (6 months is my selfimposed FunCom/AoC limiter)

GW2 - In from day 1 (Based on my Anet experience)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

This discussion has been closed.