Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Steam: Get Your Alpha Test Key Now!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

MMORPG.com has partnered with Mechanist Games to bring our community a very cool gaming opportunity! We have keys that will get you into the alpha test for their next gen browser MMORPG that will blow your mind!

Check out this preview trailer below:

GET YOUR ALPHA TEST KEY AT THIS LINK!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I wont be playing nor taking a key (not my kinda game) but based on the name I was expecting some steampunk type World like Arcanum... That looked like Anime or something.

-That said I cannot BELIVE they are doing graphics like that in a browser. Nothing short of amazzing. Probably will be succesful.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Judging the promo movie it looks like a semi-SteamPunk Diablo-clone / dungeon crawler. It does seem to have a non-targeting system though.

Anyway, skipping it. Too busy with GW2 and VG already, not to mention assembling my new Warhammer 40K army ;)

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

well, from the video thumbnail, it looks awesome, the graphics

but after watching it.. no thanks, plus GW2 is out soon, so any other games right now is nothing worth anymore

So What Now?

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

whats new?

• ZereiZerei Member UncommonPosts: 24

anyone knows where to redeem the key? I'm trying but I cant...

• iPhelpsiPhelps Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Zerei

I'm having the same problem :/

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Originally posted by iPhelps
    Originally posted by Zerei

I'm having the same problem :/

Same problem ?!

Help!

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Looks pretty interesting.  I also don't see where to input the key?

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Says on the forums they haven't actually put up anything on the website to redeem your keys yet. Aparently they should be fixing this at some point today.  This bodes well :D

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Browser game.. ICCL.

• MikuHatsumeMikuHatsume Member Posts: 7

Cant belive this was the actual grafic of the game, if it's "just" a browser game~

anyway it looks interesting though ;)

I am going to check out other pages, if I can find anything about it

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I wont be playing nor taking a key (not my kinda game) but based on the name I was expecting some steampunk type World like Arcanum... That looked like Anime or something.

-That said I cannot BELIVE they are doing graphics like that in a browser. Nothing short of amazzing. Probably will be succesful.

The Unity engine is capable of so much more than you'll ever know. If this is what they are using, Unreal Engine is also capable...

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50

Looks pretty fun.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I was in the last Beta or Alpha or whatever you want to call it (pre-alpha maybe), and it's really not that great of a game. Sure the graphics are okay but otherwise it doesn't really do anything extraordinary.

Smile

• hardcorerhardcorer Member Posts: 34

They posted an announcement on the key activation issue and will put up the page at some time on July 18th, hit this link:

http://www.cityofsteam.com/important-activation-of-alpha-keys-issue

Looking for good ARPGs!

• J_RyderJ_Ryder Member Posts: 1

City of Steam is made in Xiamen, China, with mostly Chinese staff now (originally there was 3 westerners and 1 Chinese. For a while it was half-half). I agree the art style is more asian now. I worked on it originally as an artist, and as a westerner, tried to give it a more western look. I also helped teach a steampunk aesthetic to the local artists, and believe me some of it stuck, because originally that look was not anything they'd been exposed to. Naturally though, once I left, the artists who took over were Chinese and the art has become more 'anime' looking.

The city has a definite steampunk feel though, as much of that concept work and original modelling was by another westerner. Every thing is fairly low res and low-poly, because it plays in a browser, and that contributes to the 'cartoon' look. They call it "industrial-fantasy", not steampunk. There are machines but in many cases the power source is magical, such as tiny portals to the plane of fire inside boilers to create steam so a constant supply of coal isn't needed. Ultimately though, magic is really just a highly advanced function of the machine that makes up the world... (Imagine a magic staff as a remote control tuned to the weather mechanisms. By pressing the right buttons you can have the world-machine creat a localised storm or apply rapid freezing to a zone for an ice effect.)

But anyhoo, yes, it looks more asian fantasy in style now than it did a few years ago in early development. The fighting and magic effects look a bit over done I think. There will be bright lights and death star explosion rings all over the place.

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21

Hey guys, it's Ian with Mechanist Games, indie developer for City of Steam. Now the server is open, if you've received a key, enjoy the game from now on.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!