Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm impressed, a mmo that actually feels diffrent.

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Well after playing the game for a little bit I have to say I am impressed, its been years since a mmo has impressed me. I mean not that you guys really care, but my idea of what the game would have been like was alot diffrent than it actually is. I assumed it'd just be the newest biliant wow/themepark clone. The game can only get better from here. If I had one complaint it'd be that the game could use more animations for the attacks or rather mutiple animations per attack, mostly for the auto attacks. Its a minor thing though. Stoped playing for now while waiting for a friend to download it. Can't wait to get back into it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Siveria

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2, the game to me anyway just seems like the next newest wow-clone/themepark coming out, with nothing really unique to the game at all. Only really unique thing I can see GW2 has is the fact there is no monthly fee. I personally don't expect much out of GW2 just like the other mmo's that have come out and tried to be the next wow/big mmo. The problem is in the fact that mmo's these days are just way to soloable, they have become bascally single player games with a irc chat room, till you hit cap.
    What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear that in most of these themeparks has no more use anymore. Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have realm skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's. Anyway, yeah I'd not expect much out of gw2 if your smart, because like all the themeparks before it, people will be bored before the first week or 2 of release is up, it always happens, even to casuals.
    Personally I am waiting for: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php The repopulation, if they actually deliver what the site says they are, it will be probally the first decent mmorpg thats come out in the last 6+ years that might have some actual chance at lastability. It reminds me a bit of swg with how the crafting is and the fact you can make a totally non-combat char if you want to. Now... The Secret world, dispite not being a bad game persay, people are quitting in droves already because quite frankly the game just gets too boring too fast, which from what I have read about GW2 is going to be the same thing here as well. But hey, if you quit for a while no biggie you can always come back later and not have to worry about having to pay a sub fee to check out the game after some updates.
    Dispite saying all this I'll probally buy GW2 myself, just because I'll never have to worry about a sub fee again, I can come and go as I please when I please, which in my eyes, is a nice touch. I bought tsw for 37.50 on a 25% off sale on a webstore, and I have to say that was a big waste of money, not as big of a waste as diablo 3 was though. IMO if a mmorpg gets boring after 5-10 hours of playing it total, the game has some major issues that need to be addressed.
    Signed Siv, a mmorpg gamer dying for a decent mmo to actually be released.. Upcoming mmo with Biggest possible chance of being a decent mmo? 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5141732#5141732

So you finally accept that you had absolutely no clue of what you were talking about?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

lol saw the light huh?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

OP gets a big bear hug!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Right. Then next week, he'll bash it again.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

One of the first events you get as an Asura is go run around and repair golems. No difference tthan clicking on a npc asking you to go kill 10 golems. So much difference here...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Well instead of pasting your old post and throwing it in your face (like some others), I'll say kudos for admiting you made a mistake and I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

Eat me!

Originally posted by Mephster

One of the first events you get as an Asura is go run around and repair golems. No difference tthan clicking on a npc asking you to go kill 10 golems. So much difference here...

lol you are in the tutorial. Gotta start out slow. :) Not sure what you were looking for, perhaps a 20 gun salute or fireworks in your honor?  Nice try though. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Amjoco

lol you are in the tutorial. Gotta start out slow. :) Not sure what you were looking for, perhaps a 20 gun salute or fireworks in your honor?  Nice try though. 

I just had to pop in to say Champions Online DID do that!  After the tutorial you got a gun salute and a key to the city from the mayor.

Originally posted by Melieza

I just had to pop in to say Champions Online DID do that!  After the tutorial you got a gun salute and a key to the city from the mayor.

Perhaps that is what the game is missing! 

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by Siveria

Well after playing the game for a little bit I have to say I am impressed, its been years since a mmo has impressed me. I mean not that you guys really care, but my idea of what the game would have been like was alot diffrent than it actually is. I assumed it'd just be the newest biliant wow/themepark clone. The game can only get better from here. If I had one complaint it'd be that the game could use more animations for the attacks or rather mutiple animations per attack, mostly for the auto attacks. Its a minor thing though. Stoped playing for now while waiting for a friend to download it. Can't wait to get back into it.

hi 5! nice that u finally c it :).

I am sure most opinions from those skeptics who haven't tried the game yet will also change their minds upon trying it.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

It is different in some aspects, but to me, sadly, it's not "good different". It's bad different. And not different enough at that. In the end, it feels like a massive killcounter without rhyme or reason. 

I think ArenaNet has over-manifestoed this one. Too many mechanics from hypotheses on what an MMO should or should not be, and not enough good old, quality instinct. It's like writing a story and taking pains to come up with very neat plot points that work together, but the characters themselves are really sloppy, so you're not really interested in what's going to happen to them - which is the point of a story to begin with.

Ultimately what I do when I step out there is walk up to some mob and begin banging on it, without any context - and keep doing that. So after a few hours it sadly begins to feel no different than playing a generic MMO, though I fully know in its details it really is different. 

But then I'm not exactly a "mechanics" kind of player when it comes to MMOs... 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by solarine

It is different in some aspects, but to me, sadly, it's not "good different". It's bad different. And not different enough at that. In the end, it feels like a massive killcounter without rhyme or reason. 

I think ArenaNet has over-manifestoed this one. Too many mechanics from hypotheses on what an MMO should or should not be, and not enough good old, quality instinct. It's like writing a story and taking pains to come up with very neat plot points that work together, but the characters themselves are really sloppy, so you're not really interested in what's going to happen to them - which is the point of a story to begin with.

Ultimately what I do when I step out there is walk up to some mob and begin banging on it, without any context - and keep doing that. So after a few hours it sadly begins to feel no different than playing a generic MMO, though I fully know in its details it really is different. 

For you to say this makes me laugh because one of the whole concepts surrounding this game design is to make it feel like you have more of a "reason" to take part in quests and kill things it's sort of the whole concept of DE's or perhaps you just didn't partake in any and went from heart to heart quest. This MMO does this better than any single MMO i have every played

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

This game is very much about exploring and going your own direction. Perhaps that is what you were missing and trying to do the old find a quest giver and clear an area before moving on! /shrug. 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I'm loving the game, the story, the work they put into making it a world. But jebus the combat is bad. It's going to be hard to get over that one.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

I'm loving the game, the story, the work they put into making it a world. But jebus the combat is bad. It's going to be hard to get over that one.

Try a different weapon. And if it still doesn't work for you, try a different class.

Every class, and every weapon have a different feeling, I'm sure everyone can find one class/weapon association that fits their playstyle.

This is not WoW. Dodge isn't an automatic skill with a percentage on your character sheet. If you're bad at combat, it's not your gear's fault... but only your own.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• lasttimelasttime Member Posts: 51

The game isn't bad my big issue is how irrelevant your class seems to the story. Neither your personal story or the overall game seems to care. I like when my class carries meaning or standing. Odd stares when your a necro or awe when you wield the elements but your class comes across more as a set of dime a dozen talents.

Originally posted by lasttime

The game isn't bad my big issue is how irrelevant your class seems to the story. Neither your personal story or the overall game seems to care. I like when my class carries meaning or standing. Odd stares when your a necro or awe when you wield the elements but your class comes across more as a set of dime a dozen talents.

What game offers that description please? WoW with a million Paladins or Rift with oodles of Clerics. The personal story to me is just 1/10 of the game if even that. 

What game offers that description please? WoW with a million Paladins or Rift with oodles of Clerics. The personal story to me is just 1/10 of the game if even that. 

Its not the quantity of the classes its that the world doesn't care. If I was a druid in wow I could go to sacred places and feel like a member there or a paladin could feel amoungst his brothers in a chapel. And how little the personal story matters to you is irrelevant. I play mmorpgs for a bit of rpg which involves more than abilites and gear.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Try a different weapon. And if it still doesn't work for you, try a different class.

Every class, and every weapon have a different feeling, I'm sure everyone can find one class/weapon association that fits their playstyle.

This is not WoW. Dodge isn't an automatic skill with a percentage on your character sheet. If you're bad at combat, it's not your gear's fault... but only your own.

I never said I was bad at the combat, I just said the combat is bad. Every event I've been in has just felt like a giant cluster fck of people running around spamming their attacks with no strategy or coordination.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I never said I was bad at the combat, I just said the combat is bad. Every event I've been in has just felt like a giant cluster fck of people running around spamming their attacks with no strategy or coordination.

Yea. When combat involves a huge ratio gap heavily favoring the players it does begin to feel like nothing more than a cluster f*ck.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

4 toons/classes later, I'm not feeling it...I'm having Warhammer flashbacks x10. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Grats to you OP, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised today. I'm jelly.

Its not the quantity of the classes its that the world doesn't care. If I was a druid in wow I could go to sacred places and feel like a member there or a paladin could feel amoungst his brothers in a chapel. And how little the personal story matters to you is irrelevant. I play mmorpgs for a bit of rpg which involves more than abilites and gear.

Even in WoW I remember at certain levels you go to dungeons to do a class quest there, but I didn't feel like I was carrying any meaning or standing as you put it. /shrug I must be missing the point of your discussion. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Once again, it starts getting more strategic as you level up. Hell even the shaman mob I at about level 6 (forget zone) slaughters the people spamming attacks since he puts up a reflective shield. Not to mention millions of people all trying to play at once.

Even in WoW I remember at certain levels you go to dungeons to do a class quest there, but I didn't feel like I was carrying any meaning or standing as you put it. /shrug I must be missing the point of your discussion. 

I believe that getting anything out of it is then up to the player. I enjoy the little class things so I get more out of it. Its really each to his own. I'm a bit more of a lore story person than most I'm assuming.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

For you to say this makes me laugh because one of the whole concepts surrounding this game design is to make it feel like you have more of a "reason" to take part in quests and kill things it's sort of the whole concept of DE's or perhaps you just didn't partake in any and went from heart to heart quest. This MMO does this better than any single MMO i have every played

Well, I wish I could laugh with you. :) I do know about the concepts surrounding the game. I'm just saying I think they did a poor job of realizing those concepts. 

I've tried to go for different playstyles through the beta weekends. I've tried mixing it up. I've tried skipping the hearts. I've tried  focusing on the hearts. I've tried focusing on PVP. I've tried following the personal story and thoroughly ignoring the personal story. I've tried straight out grinding and I've tried primarily exploring without killing anything - by the way, that last one turned out to be next to impossible but honestly the only time I've really had a lot of fun.

As I have felt much more "reason" even in some recent MMOs I've quit, I can't see them as really having come up with a design that succesfully redefines mobslaughter motivation. So I guess I'll have to go for the "different strokes" angle here...