Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: Centurion Mech Revealed in New Video

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The medium-weight Centurion mech has been revealed in a new video published by Piranha Games, the folks behind MechWarrior Online, the upcoming free-to-play MMO based on the long-running MechWarrior game series.

Here's the official description of the Centurion:

The Centurion is a humanoid, medium weight class, 50 ton 'Mech with a max speed of 64 kilometers an hour. It is the epitome of a balanced 'Mech. Good speed, good armour, excellent weapons load out. If you're unsure of which 'Mech best suits you, it is an excellent choice.

Boasting a well-rounded load out, the CN9-A variant sports 8.5 tons of armour, an Autocannon/10, LRM-10, and two Medium Lasers, making it a threat at all ranges.

Moving to the CN9-AH the 'Mech strips out the AC/10 for an AC/20, and removes the medium lasers allowing the pilot to weaken the enemy with LRM's at range, and use their AC/20 for a knockout punch.

The CN9-AL removes the AC/10 and adds a Large Laser and a Small Laser, six heat sinks and an additional 2.5 tons of armour. This variant is ammo independent and is great for brawling or quick skirmishes. With 11 tons of armour it can take a huge beating, and the mix of lasers allows damage to be done at all ranges.

Truly a solid, functional, and excellent 'Mech -- the Centurion will be a welcome choice for any pilot wanting a sturdy and effective ride.

Excited yet? Get even more hyped with the full video we've embedded for you below!

Comments

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

go go go autobots!!

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Battletech geek comment: I never liked the stock centurion. Jack of all trades mech, master of none, slow, not that armored. Sure, it can do something at all ranges. It just can't do much. Now, the AC20 armed version and the all laser version are more interesting. But still, so slow ;) Yes, I prefer my 5/8 mechs lol.

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27

Heh, if you jack it up to Tech Level 2, then you can do some decent things with a Centurion.

Take that CN9-AL as your stock, give it an endosteel chassis.

Rip out the LRM-10 and Large and small laser. Replace those with an ER PPC, Streak SRM6 with 2 tons of ammo, another 2 medium lasers (for a total of 4 all are forward), and some CASE for the same torso section as you're putting the ammo.

Now add some jumpjets, and with those 13 double heatsinks, you can jump and fire your medium weapons, or jump and use your ppc and not have to worry about your heat build up. Granted, no real alpha strike ability without running the risk of an almost immediate shutdown. Still a tad slow. But it'll be one hell of an annoying bodyguard unit for an LRM/Arty equipped support mech, considering its full armour. It's ammo efficient, because of the streaks. And even when those are gone, the lasers and er ppc still pack a punch.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Battletech geek comment: I never liked the stock centurion. Jack of all trades mech, master of none, slow, not that armored. Sure, it can do something at all ranges. It just can't do much. Now, the AC20 armed version and the all laser version are more interesting. But still, so slow ;) Yes, I prefer my 5/8 mechs lol.

Swap your standard engine out for a slightly better XL engine and you free up enough tons to recongifure it a plethora of ways and armor it up (standard) solid.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Cooler looking than a hunchback, but oh so limited in comparison.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    WoT is going to loose a lot of players when mwo open beta starts
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Game looks so fucking awesome, too bad i'm the worst pilot in the galaxy...

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

They could probably run this with a subscription..

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    How come none of the videos never show blown off appendages? One of the big equalizers for the small mechs in Battletech Solaris was being able to use concentrated fire to cripple larger enemies by blowing off a leg.
  • NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Meh, give me a Daishi or Atlas. Those are and always will be my favorite mechs unless they have some sort of hybrid that packs the same punch.

• CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46

@Draemos...Watch the video again, it does show arms getting blown off in it. I have not seen legs blown off in anyof the videos I have watched yet though.