Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who thinks this game is cheesy?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by MMOSavant
    Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by immodium

No cheesier than the films.

This. I love the movies but come on, we aren't talking about Macbeth here.  The Star Wars films has some of the silliest and redundant dialogue ever put on screen. 

I think you're all missing the point. It's not about cheesey in terms of the movies. It's cheesey in terms of... they're blantantly shoe horning in references to the original trilogy despite the game being set 3000 years in the past, and they're doing it with all the grace of a Family Guy episode.

"Let's make our bad guys look like Storm Troopers!" "Let's make our evil guy's base look JUST LIKE Darth Vader's!" "Let's make all smugglers look like Han Solo!"

I think you mean lazy, not cheesy.

Cheesy might not be the best word but I don't think it's lazy.

I think that it is an attempt to tie audiences/players into their game by using characters that are symbolic of the main characters in Star Wars.

It's like when plays/musicals are cast, the producers/directors try to get characters that are immediately believable in their respective roles because there isn't a lot of time to establish who the character is and what their role is.

In this case, they want Star Wars fans to feel like they are immediatly in "Star Wars". Since the game takes place way before the actual Star Wars movies there really isn't anything that screams star wars right off the bat other than "force/lightsabers".

They want to immediately establish characterand pull players in. Of coursethe die hard fans might find it pandering but other players who aren't necessarily Star Wars fans will easily be able to relate to the characters as soon as they see them because their is a whole pathos that is already established.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Wow.  Plot holes in a video game that probably had hundreds of writers?  You guys are like red shirt kid or whatever at that WoW convention.

Wow. That was almost funny and had a point.

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

My guild functions best in a sandbox game, because we have dedicated crafters, medics, collectors (harvesters), etc. In this game, the amount of activity in my guild has dropped dramatically and new players that are recruited into the guild barely lasts a month with us before leaving, most of the members in this guild aren't interested in doing dailies everyday to make money, gets frustrated with not being able to assemble 8 people to do KP/EV/EC, and crafting is far too shallow for most of us to like.

I remember back when I played WoW, it was difficult to keep a guild going because people lost interest in doing things with other guildies, in the 6 months I played WoW, I changed guilds at least 10+ times because of how many either fell apart or just became inactive, I'm not one for abandoning my guild of 10 some odd years, but boy our guild (of 350+ members, 500 in SWG) is in deep trouble right now with this game.

Thankfully there's still sandbox games on the horizon such as ArchAge and Age of Wulin.

• PraedatorisPraedatoris Member Posts: 10

Cheesy more to do with this game being too similar to other BioWare games, especially DA and NWN, rather than any similarities to the SW franchise.

The capping moment for me was questing on Voss and seeing the same ancient ruins and relics of ancient civilizations as I've seen in every single other one of their games.  All they do is change the name, not the concept.

News flash: This is a FUTURISTIC game.  If I want to see ancient temples and ruins, I'll go back to WoW.  So much wasted potential with the setting, and characters, and everything else about this game that my mind boggles.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I found the Trooper story line and comments beyond cheesyness, was such a boon playing the smuggler just to get away for the most corney lines that the trooper characters were going with.  Had to stomach going through the trooper story when I played briefly since wanted to play the trooper tank n liked the trooper armor n wasn't keen on the Jedi tanks.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Too much story and chardevelopement in the game imho. Yeah you might ask how can there be too MUCH story, but we are talking about a game here, not a movie or book. There is simply no room for your char to become YOURs, everything from his voice, clothes attitude etc is already set in stone via Cutscenes.

I felt like playing a interactive movie more than a game. And most people only watch a movie once or twice...

To be fair though thats an issue with all Bioware games, though lately i feel they are going a bit over the top. I think i can't even remember the names of my toons in this game, they are basicly just smuggler dude, jedi and 'dude who wears a dress' in my mind. This is not an issue of sandbox vs themepark, its an issue of giving my char a voice and preselected things to say. In older themeparks if you got a kill xy quest it was up to you how your char "viewed" the task because you just had the questtext and an accept. Maybe you killed xy because you liked blood, or you did it because they annoyed you(murlocs, ugh) or you did it for the money or to help etc ... If you give a toon 3 ways to react to an event, and the player likes none of them(because they do not fit the way he wants his char to be) then it stops being their char and becomes a generic toon that he is "steering".

So yes, not only is the game cheesy because it overuses phrases and situations out of the movies. Its cheesy because the chars not only look like they sprung out of the movies, they actually behave like that aswell... I wonder why they even bothered placing it in kotors timeline...

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'll say this only once,

Of course its cheesy.. its Star Wars... Star Wars is cheesy.. its always been cheesy, it always will be.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

I'll say this only once,

Of course its cheesy.. its Star Wars... Star Wars is cheesy.. its always been cheesy, it always will be.

There is cheesy and then there is Cheesy. If you take a cheesy 40 year old movie, and then transport it into a current day game almost 1:1 ... it better be meant to be satire...

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

I think the OP is trolling, CHEESYYYYYYYY.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Star Wars is cheesy.  Not sure if you saw the prequels.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Yeah, I actually found the Republic side so cheesy that I couldn't make it past lvl 10 on every char ...

As mentionned, Star Wars by itself is cheesy. So imagine a Star Wars based game that is trying to be popular (= based on gimmicks) *and* story driven (= iteration of the movies) ...

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

we at  Chaosmachine were bored at levell 5 and tired of playing 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Am I the only one who thinks this game is completely typecasted to the point where it's cheesy?

Han Solo was frozen in carbonite. This was supposed to be a unique thing to happen to a living being. However, in SWTOR, you see loads and loads of people frozen in carbonite. CHEESY.

The constant sayings from the movies, "I have a bad feeling about this", "Here we go again". CHEESY

The class typecasting, e.g., Every Smuggler must be rugged like Han Solo, fly the ugliest, yet fastest ship in the galaxy, and have a best friend Wookie companion. CHEEEESY

You are not the only one. I too felt the characterization of the classes was too much narrowed down to one stereotype. But I guess that is the downside of simply too much story-railroading. Yes. The game stories are so full of stereotypes.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

that's bioware style of writing. cheesy.