Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Exclusive Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We spent some hands-on time with the upcoming Riders of Rohan expansion to The Lord of the Rings Online during last week's Wayback Wednesday. Today, we're offering a recap of our experiences during the event in this exclusive preview.

The primary feature that will get you get excited for Riders of Rohan is the addition of War-steeds and the introduction of mounted combat.  War-steeds are not your typical horse.  They are stronger, faster, and have the capability to carry you into combat.  They are the Six Million Dollar Man of the horse world. You will be granted your War-steed while working through the epic quest line in the Riders of Rohan expansion.  War-steeds are highly customizable in a number of ways.

Read more of Rob Lashley's The Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Exclusive Preview.

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I have to admit... this makes me want to level my Champion or Warden to 75 finally.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Mounted combat is something rarely tried in a MMO.  I am looking forward to trying this out in Lotro, of course I need to get at least one of my avatar's to 75 first which of course means I have to spend a lot of time in Moria, ugh.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Deleted for prosperity

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

This is going to be a very good expansion cannot wait for Sept 9th.  Mounted combat is just another feature to add to their list of great features people complain other newer games dont have. 

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I'm really interested to try mounted combat.  Seems like they have been working on it forever so I expect it to be very polished and fun.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

This actually looks fairly good I wish more fantasy MMOs implemented mounted combat its a pretty awesome feature. I just wish they had gone to effort to truly capture the essence of the tolkien universe in LoTRO instead of this WoWish themepark port, its good and I will certainly give it a try but I doubt I will stick with it for long if I am honest.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Mounted combat is something rarely tried in a MMO.  I am looking forward to trying this out in Lotro, of course I need to get at least one of my avatar's to 75 first which of course means I have to spend a lot of time in Moria, ugh.

How so? EverQuest 2 had mounted combat since it launched back in 2004.

I always loved to fight with my Paladin from his white armored horse. :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I always planned on going back to lotro when rohan came out, but now I'm really happy about the expansions.  I like how you can customize your horse.  I liked the mounted combat in AoC somewhat, but they never expanded on it.  Lotro, like alot of things, has done it right.

• Epierce41Epierce41 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Raven

This actually looks fairly good I wish more fantasy MMOs implemented mounted combat its a pretty awesome feature. I just wish they had gone to effort to truly capture the essence of the tolkien universe in LoTRO instead of this WoWish themepark port, its good and I will certainly give it a try but I doubt I will stick with it for long if I am honest.

Yeah, this game used to be great back when it was launched because it did exactly that.  You actually felt like you were in the Tolkien universe.  The whole thing just felt like Lord of the Rings.  They lost that somewhere along the way as they tried to appeal to a larger audience.

Once they added the Runekeeper class (that literally shoots lightning bolts) and decided to take a big dump on the LOTR feel, I knew my time was limited. 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Always wanted to get into this just to check it out, but its pretty painful to lvl anything anymore, I can't imagine starting fresh again in an old world. Hope its a hit regardless.
  • cloudvaultercloudvaulter Member UncommonPosts: 25

I just took the plung and committed to 3 months vip and plan on continuing afterwards as lotr is now my new main game.  Tired of throwing away cash over the last years for 3 months here, 3 months there, 'mmorpg' fail games.  I'm an idiot for over looking this gem for so many years and finding out that they hold the license agreement til 2017 + the community tells me it is and will be thriving for many more years to come. 

This expansion is the perfect opportunity for me to level up and get to this awesome new content with both new and old players.  Cant wait.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Guess what Turbine....horses CAN swim.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Honestly wish I could have gotten into the game I loved the intitial feel of the game but for some reason I just fizzled out around level 33. Though have not touched it since game was about 8 months or so old.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by avalon1000

I was really hoping they'd take the opportunity to nail that down.  there are 0 gameplay excuses for losing your mount in the water.  Hell, you don't even have the submerge issue, here...

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Even mounted by a fat hairy dwarf in heavy armour? :)

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

That's just crazy talk!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The mounted combat mechanics sounds really good, it have been neglected in MMOs for long. :)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The poster said, rarely tried, not that it had never been tried before. Also, as someone who has played EQ2 extensively, I can honestly say that I do NOT consider that to be mounted combat - mounts in that game operate as little more than speed buff. It's basically the lower half of your body frozen to the mount while the upper half of your body does the exact same animation as if you weren't mounted. It's a visual effect, nothing more, whereas the mounted combat LotRO is doing has more substance.

<3

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

The poster said, rarely tried, not that it had never been tried before. Also, as someone who has played EQ2 extensively, I can honestly say that I do NOT consider that to be mounted combat - mounts in that game operate as little more than speed buff. It's basically the lower half of your body frozen to the mount while the upper half of your body does the exact same animation as if you weren't mounted. It's a visual effect, nothing more, whereas the mounted combat LotRO is doing has more substance.

Yes but in lotro before now combat got you dismounted, in eq2 you never got dismounted you fought while on your mount, unless you were in a raid zone.  Sorry I will stick with eq2, it has everything that lotro been missing since the beginning.  I know folks have been biting at the bit to play rohan, some of them are going finally.  I am just waiting for the email from lotro that my account has been temp banned again because I will not buy this expansion.  I did not buy the last one and got temp banned for inactivity.  This time I will not even fight it, goodbye lifetime subscription.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Yes but in lotro before now combat got you dismounted, in eq2 you never got dismounted you fought while on your mount, unless you were in a raid zone.  Sorry I will stick with eq2, it has everything that lotro been missing since the beginning.  I know folks have been biting at the bit to play rohan, some of them are going finally.  I am just waiting for the email from lotro that my account has been temp banned again because I will not buy this expansion.  I did not buy the last one and got temp banned for inactivity.  This time I will not even fight it, goodbye lifetime subscription.

Well problem with EQ2 it is run by SOE.  Has to be the most incompetent developer out there bar none.  I liked EQ2, but after SOE got hacked and they reset the passwords can't play anymore, my account was attached to an old email, not accessable any more, two tries on the phone got me nowhere.   Good luck if you have issues with the game.

I find the Turbine folks far more willing to help with problems.   I like the Lotro lore far more than EQ2 attempt at it.  

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

I guess you're not familiar with the word "rarely".  Jesus man. Read the words, then respond to it.

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65

it's looking good from the videos I've watched.  Looking forward for exploring this expansion, looks like a nice chunk to explore.  Looking forward to exploring Fangorn the most though

Keep up the good work Turbine image

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Another craptastic and surely overpriced Turbine xpac.

I have to call the author out on the claim that the warsteed handles like a large animal should.  It doesn't look like it handle at all like any animal.  I watched the video.  The horse glides to the side in a totally unrealistic fashion and does actually turn on a hairpin, especially compared to actual horseback riding.  When is the last time you've seen a horse skate across dirt?

And Flies?  Really?  67 levels later and the player is still fighting rehashed mob models in the form of flies.  From sickle flies at level 10 in the marshes outside of Bree to level 76 flies in Rohan?  How idiotic is that?  Flies that could kill the entire town of bree and lay waste to most of Eriador?  How much are they going to charge players to fight flies again?

The mounted combat is not much different than that of EQ2.  It's just a cosmetic run speed buff that gives a moving crit chance.  Can you be dismounted while fighting?  Can you suffer falling damage for taking a hit and getting dismounted?  Or is it all mounted all the time?

Why does this game get the love it so doesn't deserve?  It has really great scenery and beautiful clouds and then the most hideous plastic skinned stiff character models and animations of most any modern MMO.

If they would actually put some effort and pride into creating Middle Earth then they would deserve some praise.  As it stands they have dumped on and pissed away one of the most beloved fantasy IPs of all time.

People who say the character models are still and boring have never leveled up a character to max level, played in a dungeon or raid.  They just come on here to spew their hate for a very good game.  This game has a lot more then scenery and models.  People complain all day about newer games not having this or that, LOTRO has everything these people complain about.  From day cycles, player houseing, reason to explore, raids, dungeons, cosmetic clothes with tons of different dyes, 3 man instances, great crafting I can go on and on. 

For the comment about fighting flies?  Really that was one mob there are many different mobs you fight in Rohan I understand the people try to nit pick just trying to find something to complain about but that is a major fail attempt.  This is middle earth not some fantasy world where you can put some crazy different mobs.  You complain they ruined Middle earth but yet you want them to put in mobs that are not part of middle earth?  Your in a swamp, what type of npc should they put in a swamp that will make you happy?  

To answer your question about mounted combat...usually people wait or read a little before they whine and cry about something but here are your answers you ask for. 

Can you get dismounted? Yes

Can you dismount while fighting? Yes

Do you take damage while fighting or falling off? Yes

Before you complain about how the horse moves maybe you should try it out.  

These sites will never change, people will come on and post comments about games they have no clue about just because its not what they play.  They will make false claims and makes fools of themself.  People who play these games enjoy them and false claims and foolish comments wont stop them.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Is it just me or that war steed had wheels under it's hooves? Because it looked very unrealistic in that video.
  • crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Gaborik

People who say the character models are still and boring have never leveled up a character to max level, played in a dungeon or raid.  They just come on here to spew their hate for a very good game.  This game has a lot more then scenery and models.  People complain all day about newer games not having this or that, LOTRO has everything these people complain about.  From day cycles, player houseing, reason to explore, raids, dungeons, cosmetic clothes with tons of different dyes, 3 man instances, great crafting I can go on and on. 

(...)

These sites will never change, people will come on and post comments about games they have no clue about just because its not what they play.  They will make false claims and makes fools of themself.  People who play these games enjoy them and false claims and foolish comments wont stop them.

While some people are hating a game( and other people who like it) because they just didn't enjoy it, you are exactly opposite. LOTRO has some good and bad things as every game and yes you can notice them even after playing it for 4 years. My 4 cents:

• Player housing is poor and nearly dead(not developed/fixed anymore), nothing like for example one in eq.
    • Crafting is WoW style copy, both in terms of materials gathering and cratfting, hardly a thing you can call great.
    • There is no real reason to explore aside being curious and getting occasional title(but that's quite rare).
    • Cosmetic system is okay, dyeing is far inferior as you can't colour various parts of clothing. Colour pallette is good.
    • Dungeons and raids are solid and fun.
    • Mail system is poor and you can only send one item per mail, pushing you into cash shop where is shared storage.
    • Lootboxes are perfect example of usual F2P gamble box system with uber drops(low chance) and key again buayble in store(and as ~0.01% drop from mobs too).
    • PvP is poor, nearly forgotten and p2w(cash shop stuff that gives andvantage).
    • Story is good and so areas design is simply awesome.
    • AH is refined and good, but lacks more complex tools
    • Bag space is limited(compared to other MMOs where you have bigger bags) and again being sold in cash shop(in one form or another)
    • UI is okay but lacks solid add-ons and LUA support isn't good which makes that few existing add-ons quite buggy after game updates.
    Of course I could say much more, but it'd be too detailed stuff to make it informative. Surely I'm subjective as well, but I hope I made my point - LOTRO has it's pros and cons.