Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camera delay swing, momentum and performance

donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Camera swing delay when you turn your character, momentum starting and stopping and overall game performance must be better in this beta or I am out. Anyone else?

Comments

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

No critiques of gw2 will be permited here, sir.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I do hope the camera motion, zoom and its weird "floaty-ness" has been changed. Along with the motion sickness inducing map zoom when you press M. Other than that I am ok with UI and playabilty.

Might be a tough call for me if camera isn't normalized like every other AAA game. :(

Haven't noticed anything that bothers me game engine performace wise...

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I agree with the perfomance thing, but i'm not "out" if it doesn't happen.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Patch notes would have been nice.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

not sure what the hell youre talking about, but anyway, see ya.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I dont really have any problems with the camera, I would welcome more/better momemtum and the performance has been great for me since the very bieggining. Im not "out" anytime soon.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by sonoggi

When you press an action your character instantly does it. Especially when fighting. It is great. However when starting and stopping from running, there is an extra frame or two of momentium which is jarring.

When you turn your character around with the mouse, the camera follows a split second later. This actually almost gets me seasick after playing a little bit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by donjn

When you press an action your character instantly does it. Especially when fighting. It is great. However when starting and stopping from running, there is an extra frame or two of momentium which is jarring.

When you turn your character around with the mouse, the camera follows a split second later. This actually almost gets me seasick after playing a little bit.

And once you are sensitized to it... you're gonna notice it. it's just weird and unnatural for this style of game. Something is off about the camera.

Originally posted by cinos

Don't understand why you are out. You speak as if these things will never be fixed if not this beta.

Also could you elaborate on what you mean by camera swing delay? That when you rotate the camera and the delay that occurs before it goes back to the direction your character is running?

Edit: As you just answered my question. I have not noticed a camera delay during my playtime. Could it have been linked to your frame rate perhaps?

This is why I argued about making a beta so public. Now that I have seen the product, if nothing is fixed in this beta today, I am out. I can't spend $50 with "hopes" that things will be fixed.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by cinos

Don't understand why you are out. You speak as if these things will never be fixed if not this beta.

Also could you elaborate on what you mean by camera swing delay? That when you rotate the camera and the delay that occurs before it goes back to the direction your character is running?

Edit: As you just answered my question. I have not noticed a camera delay during my playtime. Could it have been linked to your frame rate perhaps?

This is why I argued about making a beta so public. Now that I have seen the product, if nothing is fixed in this beta today, I am out. I can't spend $50 with "hopes" that things will be fixed.

Well you should end up a wealthy man, because if you refuse to spend money on hopes, then you won't be spending much money.

As for the camera motion, I think it can be better, but it never made me sick or anything. I'm probably not as sensitive to that sort of thing.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

The problem with things causing people nausea, is that this is the sort of issue that is often personal.

I have a friend who gets sick playing most FPS games.  It's not completely uncommon, either.

I'm pretty sure those sort of issues are on a person by person basis, otherwise it would be everybody feeling ill about it. :c

• Originally posted by donjn

Erm, hold on.  You are asking for it to be less realistic?  Coming to a dead stop from a run is the definition of jarring.  Also it has nothing to do with performance.

The camera has some difficulties and  they said they will tweak the camera, even adding an option for first person camera, hopefully it is better in BWE3. However I don't see the camera as a reason not to play the game, it is barely noticable, for most people at least, and if everything else is good, not playing just for the camera sounds odd.

As for the animations I don't know, I found it more realistic to have those extra frames, you can't stop instantly if you are running. It reminded me of the movement animations in Assassin's Creed (dumbed down of course) which has the most realistic movement (and lots of extra frames) I don't know if they'll "fix" it or not.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What you describe sounds like mouse smoothing to me. Is that what you don't like about it?

Originally posted by gestalt11

Erm, hold on.  You are asking for it to be less realistic?  Coming to a dead stop from a run is the definition of jarring.  Also it has nothing to do with performance.

Man you missed my point on multiple levels...

1. Who said I want realism? I want something I am used to. In game responsiveness. If you want realism, ask them to put going to the bathroom and washing your hands in the game.

2. The camera issue I have has nothing to do with performance you are right. I never said it did either. I was talking about framerate issues, which is a seperate issue.

Originally posted by Meowhead

The problem with things causing people nausea, is that this is the sort of issue that is often personal.

I have a friend who gets sick playing most FPS games.  It's not completely uncommon, either.

I'm pretty sure those sort of issues are on a person by person basis, otherwise it would be everybody feeling ill about it. :c

I agree Meowhead, my brother has this problem with a lot of games. However I personally never get motion sickness in any other FPS or 3rd person title (that I like to play). The camera in GW2 is off, and it was commented on in the beta forums. Hopeful to see what approach Arena takes.

I personally feel it is a result of adding jump to their GW1 engine... .. . half joke half serious. ;)

1. Who said I want realism? I want something I am used to. In game responsiveness. If you want realism, ask them to put going to the bathroom and washing your hands in the game.

Try lowering the animation quality from the game settings. You might not want realism but lots of people certainly do

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I don't think they are going to change momentum, that is a design choice.

I never had a problem with the camera but I do think they have made it so you can bring the camera back a bit more than in previous betas.

Not sure about performance. Other than the very first part of the first Beta Weekend, the game has run flawless for me.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Camera swing delay when you turn your character, momentum starting and stopping and overall game performance must be better in this beta or I am out. Anyone else?

lol. It is fine with me. I didn't even notice and still don't. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

I don't think they are going to change momentum, that is a design choice.

I never had a problem with the camera but I do think they have made it so you can bring the camera back a bit more than in previous betas.

Not sure about performance. Other than the very first part of the first Beta Weekend, the game has run flawless for me.

BW3 seems like all the gpu drivers have been done. My system is running superbly!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

"Beta is beta"

Animation is the same as BWE2. Still got the "extra frames" which add a nice bit of realism, I don't see a reason for them to be removed.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

"Beta is beta"

Has nothing to do with the OP. His concerns are that what he feels is a bug might make it to release. Although there's a viewpoint that his 'bug' is a 'feature', and therefore not subject to change.

I'm not in Beta, but I've seen some videos of the topic at hand. I can't say it was that disconcerting (for me), but I can see how it might bug someone. I'm not sure it would be a game breaker (for me), though.