Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Official Review

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We're putting Pirates of the Caribbean Online through its paces in our latest official review.

In Pirates of the Caribbean Online, players become pirates sailing the Caribbean in the time period of the movies. Many of the characters of the movies exist within the game, complete with likenesses of the actors, and serve as quest givers to provide direction during your looting and pillaging. Fans of the movies will find that characters, places and ships from the movies are abundant and help bring the game to life, but there is fun to be had for players new to the series as well. While possessing a number of flaws, Pirates of the Caribbean Online still serves as an entertaining way for pirate fans, especially younger fans, to get their daily dose of plundering.

Read more of Justin Asselstine's Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Official Review.

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Lol
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Dated graphics and animations

Really? Thats what happens when you review a 5 year old game :|

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Never tried this one.. like the sound of the ship combat where you team up with other players to man the ship.. kinda like Darkfalls ship combat i guess.

Still think its a bit old to check out now...

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Online

...and was officially launched on October 31, 2007.

Review should start at 88mph!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The game was most likely produced in record time to capitalise on the popularity of the movies. Thinly disguised monetization of an IP.

Why review this NOW ? It's ancient history, lol

Or can we look forward to more reviews of "blasts from the past" ? :D

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

It is ancient history, but also in ancient history games had a shelf life that is different from an MMORPG. That is, as long as a game continues to survive with significant people still playing it and drawing new players, then reviewing it, and even re-reviewing a game after significant changes is justifiable.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

Check out my review of Super Mario Brothers!

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Believe it or not, this actually one of the most *fun* games I have played. Mainly because both the ship and ground combat are both very fun, and there are some really great mini-games. The problem is, as you stated, the free option is very limited in comparison with modern F2P hybrid games and I dont like it enough to actually sub. If they adopted the same kind of content model as games like STO and Champs, where you could play all of the missionf or free but there were a lot of items in the game store you would want, I'd still be playing now.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

Did I miss something?  Why review a five year old game?  That ship has sailed.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Did I miss something?  Why review a five year old game?  That ship has sailed.

This pun amused me more than the review did... well done. :)

• JayArcherJayArcher Member Posts: 3

Actually the idea of a blast to the past is precisely why I chose to review PotCO. My account was reactivated on a whim and the number of people I saw playing reminded me that there are a lot of mmos that have survived the test of time and still exist. I figured I would review some of the mmos that have never gotten a mmorpg.com review and let people know if they are worth playing now, when compared to other mmos on the market. Just remember, old doesn't mean bad. Although sometimes it does.

"Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it." - Chrono Cross
    MMORPG.com Freelance Reviewer

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

This game is enough sheer fun that I would absolutely play it, if it weren't for the lag ALL THE TIME.  I've tried it on three diffferent computers - all of them quite high end with a strong connection.  The same thing every time. It's completely ridiculous.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Hm. I'd try this if was anything close to the old Pirates of the Carribean PC game. That game was absolutely gorgeous and seemed ahead of its time graphically. Tons of fun too

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Hey folks,

Our goal is to review every game on our Game List, so yep... Expect some oldies.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Bill, you guys scored this a 6.6 in 2012 do you think it would have recieved the same score in 2007 ? If not will you all be updating reviews for every game each year? It doesn't seem fair to give this a 6.6 when it ARrrrrGuably could have been a ten back when me matey :-)
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Lol....was nothing quiet about the laugh of this game. They advertised the he'll out of it.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

Launch *

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

Sigh....Damn auto correct ? :(

• JayArcherJayArcher Member Posts: 3

When I rate a game I try to judge it on its own merits, not compared to modern mmos. A 6.6 represents what I felt the game deserved regardless of time period. I tried to get across in the review the idea that PotCO is a game that's fun, but limited from a techncal view. This was true both in 2007 and is still true in 2012.

"Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it." - Chrono Cross
    MMORPG.com Freelance Reviewer

Jay, my son absolutely loved this game a few years ago. Played on/off a bit with him and actually found myself really enjoying the ship warfare. Was definitely a fun game.

• kellyokiddkellyokidd Member UncommonPosts: 17

It's a great game, been playing it since 2009.  Unfortunately Disney doesn't do enough updates to have players come back once you reach the highest level in weapons and notoreity. I log in now to just play with guild members instead of experiencing new content.  Wish the developers would add new content more than once a year, then more people would stay on and play year after year.

• KiraRebornKiraReborn Member Posts: 10
    its a good game but it REALLY  NEEDS AN UPGRADE of software and hardware this game still has jolly roger as the main bad guy who is technically suppose to be davy jones so ya can see why lol
  • KiraRebornKiraReborn Member Posts: 10
    heck ill agree with ya there Kellyokidd but it still has to be more then that to get on top again lol
  • KolimakoKolimako Member Posts: 4
    so old game in online nothing new(