Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Beta weekend

xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430
Can anyone tell me when it starts ?

Im in Portugal Western European Summer Time (WEST) +0100 UTC same as UK.

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

There has been no official word. We are all trying to guess.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    I was wandering myself that. Im EST timezone NA.
  • CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116

From the email I got,

This Beta Weekend Event begins Friday, July 20, at noon PDT (GMT -7) and ends Sunday, July 22, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT -7)

• devilspeardevilspear Member UncommonPosts: 11

12PM PST. 1PM MST. 2PM CST. 3PM EST. 8PM +0100 UTC. Enjoy.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

From twitter

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/

Guild Wars 2@GuildWars2

Beta Weekend Event 3 will start tomorrow at 12 Noon Pacific time. To convert that to your time zone, see this: http://ow.ly/cmHbs

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Pickle875Pickle875 Member UncommonPosts: 8

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

While the times listed above are correct, ArenaNet tends to open their servers an hour early.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Why are people so horrible at reading their e-mails and figuring out time? I have got 2 e-mails from ArenaNet about the beta ...

There are plenty of places to find this information without posting about it. Twitter, the GW2 webpage, probably 1000's of other sites talking about GW2 ... and you still have to ask in a forum? Not to mention this isn't the first post about this. /sigh

Reminds me of retards in the Firefall beta asking what time it started when it was in BOLD letters at the top of EVERY page. Is the world becoming this dumb and hopeless? It is sad.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

LOL starting to feel like Hiro from Heroes staring at the clock so intently I keep thinking I've frozen time...

faster damn you faster!!

• Diablo4783Diablo4783 Member Posts: 34

thanks for the info

uber black and red temple of nod gaming case
    4 fuckin gigs of random access memory
    ge force chopper sick balls over 9000 vid card bra
    holy shit im bragging about my computer to play mmo's processor!

• Diablo4783Diablo4783 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by MattVid

Why are people so horrible at reading their e-mails and figuring out time? I have got 2 e-mails from ArenaNet about the beta ...

There are plenty of places to find this information without posting about it. Twitter, the GW2 webpage, probably 1000's of other sites talking about GW2 ... and you still have to ask in a forum? Not to mention this isn't the first post about this. /sigh

Reminds me of retards in the Firefall beta asking what time it started when it was in BOLD letters at the top of EVERY page. Is the world becoming this dumb and hopeless? It is sad.

pretty uncalled for dude.  this site is great for information.  i accidentally deleted my email while i was in a meeting at work so i came on here looking for a start time too figuring some helpful people would have posted about it.  its a forum.  people can post about whatever they want relating to the game.  taking the time to post about how mad it makes you and how dumb the human race is getting makes you look really pathetic.  thanks for being an elitist and putting me in my place for being so stupid.  i will surely read all my emails in extreme detail from now on and only post to topics that you feel are relavent enough.  this kind of sarcasm still isnt as overblown and ignorant as your post.   

uber black and red temple of nod gaming case
    4 fuckin gigs of random access memory
    ge force chopper sick balls over 9000 vid card bra
    holy shit im bragging about my computer to play mmo's processor!

Originally posted by Diablo4783

pretty uncalled for dude.  this site is great for information.  i accidentally deleted my email while i was in a meeting at work so i came on here looking for a start time too figuring some helpful people would have posted about it.  its a forum.  people can post about whatever they want relating to the game.  taking the time to post about how mad it makes you and how dumb the human race is getting makes you look really pathetic.  thanks for being an elitist and putting me in my place for being so stupid.  i will surely read all my emails in extreme detail from now on and only post to topics that you feel are relavent enough.  this kind of sarcasm still isnt as overblown and ignorant as your post.   

You accidently deleted your e-mail and couldn't retrieve it. So you accidently deleted the e-mail, then went to your trash folder and then confirmed to permanently delete it? I mean, really, that is the excuse? Not to mention it is on the GW2 official site, and many other places.

My post is ignorant? I am not the one unable to perform a simple Google search, look in these very forums (as there are other posts asking the same thing) or retrieve lost e-mails from my trash folder. Assuming people have common sense or basic computer knowledge is not elitist, apparently, it is just wishful thinking.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Can anyone answer me two questions? I've gone into this game mostly blind, for the first time since... well, my first MMO. I've ignored most of the videos and feature lists. But something I heard and was excited about was that this game had no quests.

Then I heard about hearts.

Hearts sound like quests to me, the boring grindey WoW like variety. Are they important, can I completely ignore them and still progress?

And last, do you get points like realm points for killing others in RvR, like you did in DAoC? Does winning benefit my realm?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The email that ANet sent people who have prepurchased. Not sure if people with beta keys got one. 

Click to see full size version

This Beta Weekend Event begins Friday, July 20, at noon PDT (GMT -7) and ends Sunday, July 22, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT -7)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Garvon3

Hearts sound like quests to me, the boring grindey WoW like variety. Are they important, can I completely ignore them and still progress?

Hearts are pretty boring, honestly. They are not really the intended "content" of the game, they are mainly for guidance. Most dynamic events happen around these hearts. You can still progress without doing them, but I would recommend finishing them.They give experience, and also, finishing an entire zone gives you experience and a loot reward (exploring all areas, getting all skill points and filling all hearts). However, you can complete hearts by doing DE's in the same area.

And last, do you get points like realm points for killing others in RvR, like you did in DAoC? Does winning benefit my realm?

No, just experience, karma and money in World vs. World. Killing people just yeilds experience. Holding objectives gives bonuses to your realm in the form of bonus HP, gold loot increase, crafting crit chance, etc. The more points you score, the more bonuses you get. Beyond that, there are no other bonuses that I know of.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Hearts are pretty boring, honestly. They are not really the intended "content" of the game, they are mainly for guidance. Most dynamic events happen around these hearts. You can still progress without doing them, but I would recommend finishing them.They give experience, and also, finishing an entire zone gives you experience and a loot reward (exploring all areas, getting all skill points and filling all hearts). However, you can complete hearts by doing DE's in the same area.

No, just experience, karma and money in World vs. World. Killing people just yeilds experience. Holding objectives gives bonuses to your realm in the form of bonus HP, gold loot increase, crafting crit chance, etc. The more points you score, the more bonuses you get. Beyond that, there are no other bonuses that I know of.

So these items are like the relics in DAoC? One side holds them and gets their benefit while others try to take them back?

And this karma stuff, you use it to make you stronger in PvP? That's more or less what I was looking for. DAoC gave you realm points if you killed people which you could use to buy stronger guards, siege stuff, or give yourself some special PvP abilities.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

So these items are like the relics in DAoC? One side holds them and gets their benefit while others try to take them back?

And this karma stuff, you use it to make you stronger in PvP? That's more or less what I was looking for. DAoC gave you realm points if you killed people which you could use to buy stronger guards, siege stuff, or give yourself some special PvP abilities.

karma is currency for all parts of the game just like coin. If you played warhammer and remember everytime you did a pq you filled up a influence bar? its similiar to that except universal in you can use it anywhere in the game that has karma vendors. There is no realm point system like in DAOC to buy gear you can earn karma by doing pqs or DEs as they call them here in pve as well. I think i did about 3k karma last beta event from just world vs world and was able to pretty much buy anything i wanted. Orbs of power are not really relics as they only effect pvp . They are stored similiar to relic keeps in DAOC but much easier to obtain then DAOC had them. They are not as powerful either as DAOC relics but similiar in concept.

Good question, there are "relics" (called Orbs of Power) in the world vs. world. Basically, each side starts off with 1 each. Which gives a 5% bonus HP (I think). So if you capture all 3, you get a 15% HP boost in the PvP area (RvR/WvW). I don't believe this carries over to PvE. Not as powerful as DAoC, but it makes a difference.

The bonuses I was referring to above is almost like "leveling up your realm". The more objectives you hold, the more points you get each time the WvW zone "scores". Get enough points, and you get a boost for your realm. There are probably 10-12 different boosts you can get, and multiple tiers. They are rather small, starting in the 1% range and moving up from there.

Karma is used to buy gear/stuff from Karma vendors. Karma and money is used to upgrade guards, keeps and purchase upgrades at objectives. So yes, it is sort of the same thing as DAoC, however Karma is also used (and gained) in the PvE areas to get items as well. Karma is awarded for completely basically any event in the game, whether that be WvW PvP objectives or a Dynamic Event in PvE.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Can anyone answer me two questions? I've gone into this game mostly blind, for the first time since... well, my first MMO. I've ignored most of the videos and feature lists. But something I heard and was excited about was that this game had no quests.

Then I heard about hearts.

Hearts are not the main point of this game, and its a shame ANet had to put them in at all. They were only included because they got feedback saying people were "lost" without any "questgivers". They pretty much are as you described - standard quests. They are actually set up so they are more like player triggered events. They are NOT the main content of the game though. They are just supposed to guide you to an area where there are likely to be lots of dynamic events happening. 

About 1/2 way through BWE1 I figured out not to just run around doing all the heart quests, and started exploring the world myself. THAT is they way to play the game. Explore the world, and experience the dynamic events as they happen around you. Once a DE is finished, hang around for a bit before running off and listen to the NPCs -- it will often chain to a new DE. Only when there isnt anything else going on head towards the hearts, and normally when you get there you will find DEs happening that allow you to complete the heart quests by doing them anyway.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom