Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THE STATE OF PLAY WITH DIABLO III...NEW WORDS FROM MIKE MORHAIME

2»

Comments

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

I dunno, I think peeps had just overblown expectations from D3. I mean this is just simple hack and slash game. I got bout 200 hours from it, that's like 4 times more than I got from say Torchlight. I sold otherwise useless(not my class) stuff on RMAH, making my copy free. And I still have a solid game, that will be patched and updated, can't find many single player games like that.

AH is just evolved version of trade rooms/trade sites in old D2. Instead spamming chat, entering countless games, fending off scammers and such, there is elegant and simple solution. And yet you don't have to use it. As simple as that. Makes it pain to find right items and progress in inferno difficulty, but the choice is there. No idea why people make such issue about it. Blizz even upped drop rates for best items so you can find them by yourself...

Not that it's flawless game, I see quite few glaring issues, but still it a solid hack'n'slash stuff.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by crazynanny

I dunno, I think peeps had just overblown expectations from D3. I mean this is just simple hack and slash game. I got bout 200 hours from it, that's like 4 times more than I got from say Torchlight. I sold otherwise useless(not my class) stuff on RMAH, making my copy free. And I still have a solid game, that will be patched and updated, can't find many single player games like that.

AH is just evolved version of trade rooms/trade sites in old D2. Instead spamming chat, entering countless games, fending off scammers and such, there is elegant and simple solution. And yet you don't have to use it. As simple as that. Makes it pain to find right items and progress in inferno difficulty, but the choice is there. No idea why people make such issue about it. Blizz even upped drop rates for best items so you can find them by yourself...

Not that it's flawless game, I see quite few glaring issues, but still it a solid hack'n'slash stuff.

Agreed, but I think part of the fault is Blizzards.

They should have focused more on people going down into a huge dungeon and killing stuff and focused less on grinding gear. Getting gear is of course part of the Diablo experience but the earlier games particularly the first) had a lot more focus on actually killing stuff.

I just don´t think most people have the time to spend ages in both Wow and Diablo to to grind all that gear and both games mainly appeal to the same type of players. It would have been wiser to trying to get another type of player instead if they wanted long term play.

On the other hand if they wanted to just max out boxsales they clearly made the right decision.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

As has been said before, if the game actually would be hack and slash, and not kite and die, we would have much less to argue about.

The lavish production values which are given by it being a game of a big company can only go so far, at the end of a day you also want to have a fun experience, which it is only for a very specific facet of the playerbase which blizz has decided to focus on in the recent years, players which have no problems "bashing their head against the wall for hours" (from my pov), but would be annoyed by a skill tree or having to, gasp, relevel a character, and i dont mean it in a negative way, different tastes are different.

Flame on!

:)

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Kinchyle
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

I disagree with almost everything you post, Psychow, but this right here is very well done.

Cheers.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Banaghran
    Originally posted by laserit

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6146724759

Much more entertaining and even informative :)

Flame on!

Must have been entertaining, the topic has been deleted

Had a feeling it would.

http://pastebin.com/SjK4rJMb

Flame on!

Great read!

Originally posted by Loke666

They should have focused more on people going down into a huge dungeon and killing stuff and focused less on grinding gear. Getting gear is of course part of the Diablo experience but the earlier games particularly the first) had a lot more focus on actually killing stuff.

I just don´t think most people have the time to spend ages in both Wow and Diablo to to grind all that gear and both games mainly appeal to the same type of players. It would have been wiser to trying to get another type of player instead if they wanted long term play.

On the other hand if they wanted to just max out boxsales they clearly made the right decision.

Yeah and it's basically all about your expectation from Blizz and pricey box. Had chat with a friend and asked him about Torchlight vs D3. He said - well I bought it at 75% discount on Steam and even though it was obviously inferior game compared to D3, I never expected more for 3€. Guess it's all about overhype, just like with many other games, say Star Wars MMO?

Personally I agree that Blizz dropped ball with poor endgame, game just lacks some random endless dungeon. But then D2 never had such and was exactly about farming gear from Mephicto/Baal runs. Good news is they do acknowledge it and say there will be some changes upcoming. Can't really expect more from boxed game with no monthly fee...

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Diablo 3 was so dissapointing that I had to take vacations to another country to forget about it.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.

As has been said before, if the game actually would be hack and slash, and not kite and die, we would have much less to argue about.

Will disagree with that. Diablo is exactly about finding nice place to kill mobs that fits your current character power or in more simple words gear. All that of course in order to get better gear to go to next place. As long as you don't try to rush into too hard places kite and die just doesn't happen.

I know about it as I did exactly same mistake. Went into Act 2 on inferno with weak character and got only frustrated by being farmed by mobs. Went back to act 1, took it slowly and soon with all gear upgrades I found/bought I was asking myself, woah did I really had all the trouble in act 2? Again same deal with 3rd act. Now with right gear and skill balance I'm simply just having fun killing mobs. I guess it can get boring after a while, but it's hack'n'slash game, they all get boring if you play them too much.

Will disagree with that. Diablo is exactly about finding nice place to kill mobs that fits your current character power or in more simple words gear. All that of course in order to get better gear to go to next place. As long as you don't try to rush into too hard places kite and die just doesn't happen.

I know about it as I did exactly same mistake. Went into Act 2 on inferno with weak character and got only frustrated by being farmed by mobs. Went back to act 1, took it slowly and soon with all gear upgrades I found/bought I was asking myself, woah did I really had all the trouble in act 2? Again same deal with 3rd act. Now with right gear and skill balance I'm simply just having fun killing mobs. I guess it can get boring after a while, but it's hack'n'slash game, they all get boring if you play them too much.

I see it as a problem, that for some fabled reason WE NEED TO PUNISH THE PLAYER SO HE DOES NOT CHEAPEN HIS WAY TO THE END BOSS, MISSING ALL THE FUN!!!! Feels stupid, and it is. And no amount of history rewriting , diablo being about this and that, hack and slash games means this and that, will change that.

For me the fun "just killing mobs" never came, not even going back, much too often you get into "evade or die 10 times" situations and the excitement of finding items is simply not there. I finally quit at rakanoth, just too annoying for me, teleport oneshot, cutscene, teleport dodge, adds finish me, annoying cutscene, teleport oneshot, ANNOYING CUTSCENE...

Flame on!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Loke666

Eh?  The 'going down into a dungeon' part was great.  Maybe it could've been better with a lot more randomization, but it had enough of the team's focus -- whereas the gear grind, difficulty curve, and AH definitely didn't get enough focus.

I assure you if D3 had actually appealed to me in the same way as WOW, I wouldn't have put it down after a month.  Instead I'd have had a gradually ramping difficulty curve with gradually better gear with much better grouping mechanics which holds my attention for years.

So they really should've focused more on where they made the most mistakes.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31

Game should be called Auction House Tycoon.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by DonVadim
    Originally posted by Psychow

Great game getting even better. Win!

[mod edit]

None of the above. I enjoy the game and am looking forward to future improvements. 

I will say this: I bought the game knowing what the game was, and didn't enter into it with some sort of pre-fabricated lofty expectation. To me it was gong to be a hack-n-slash item hunt game and that's what it has been.

Originally posted by coretex666

I have to agree with that.

The major points for me would be:

1) close auction houses

2) add runes and rune words

3) add more interesting items across all qualities -> not just legendaries!!! (chance on hit, chance on being hit, various procs, skill buffs,...basically items which we know from D2 LoD already)

4) Increase max level to 99 (I understand that this point may be controversial and would harm certain game mechanisms e.g. balanced pvp which they plan to implement, but I would still like to have this "passive reward" for gear grind => "even though I did not get any items today, at least I made 50% of next lvl")

5) Add more item sets, buff them

These are just points I came up with in a hurry. I do not insist all of them are perfect. You may raise valid points that may actually make me change my mind about these. Take it as a suggestion if something

Edit: 6) Let me distribute stat points I guess

1. I don't think they'd have to close the AH.  Just add binding to the game, where you can't sell anything except for a few slots (example: all helms, weapons, and boots are tradeable, but everything else is bound to your account and completely untradeable except to (a) your alts and (b) people in the same game as you when it dropped.)

That would make things a lot more similar to WOW, which doesn't prevent everything from being traded, but strongly (and smartly) controls which things are sellable on the AH.

2. These might be cool, but there are bigger fish to fry honestly.

3. Yeah definitely.  I think set items would be great while leveling too, although I think they'd work better as either crafted items or sidequest rewards than having them be random drops (it was more fun to get them randomly while leveling in D2 than to get nothing in D3, but admittedly I almost never completed a set in D2 with low-level set items.)

4. Eh, level in Blizzard games holds a promise of always bringing some meaningful increase to your character.  No game has this been more true of than D3, which often provides multiple new toys to play with each level.  So just arbitrarily raising the cap won't necessarily add much.  If it's incremental progression you're looking for, then just add more item progression.

5. Yeah (as mentioned in #3)

6. I don't miss this at all.  Stat increase decisions inherently become uninteresting extremely quick because you choose a trajectory and stick with it forever and it never changes.  It becomes less interesting over time.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt

1. I don't think they'd have to close the AH.  Just add binding to the game, where you can't sell anything except for a few slots (example: all helms, weapons, and boots are tradeable, but everything else is bound to your account and completely untradeable except to (a) your alts and (b) people in the same game as you when it dropped.)

That would make things a lot more similar to WOW, which doesn't prevent everything from being traded, but strongly (and smartly) controls which things are sellable on the AH.

2. These might be cool, but there are bigger fish to fry honestly.

3. Yeah definitely.  I think set items would be great while leveling too, although I think they'd work better as either crafted items or sidequest rewards than having them be random drops (it was more fun to get them randomly while leveling in D2 than to get nothing in D3, but admittedly I almost never completed a set in D2 with low-level set items.)

4. Eh, level in Blizzard games holds a promise of always bringing some meaningful increase to your character.  No game has this been more true of than D3, which often provides multiple new toys to play with each level.  So just arbitrarily raising the cap won't necessarily add much.  If it's incremental progression you're looking for, then just add more item progression.

5. Yeah (as mentioned in #3)

6. I don't miss this at all.  Stat increase decisions inherently become uninteresting extremely quick because you choose a trajectory and stick with it forever and it never changes.  It becomes less interesting over time.

1) I was very amused by this, thank you, mostly because that was the majority of "pessimist" opinions when talking about the gear system way back, that blizz will screw it up and try to bandaid it with bop, boe, boa....

3) Dont focus that much on full sets, set items were essentailly weaker and more common uniques (cathans seal - lifesteal ring, telling of beads - 1 skill amulet, death sash - cannot be frozen), and only in special cases offered a interesting mechanic, most of the time for a partial set bonus (not that SOME of the full sets were not interesting), for example husaru's set, offering attack rating for a 2 piece that would enable a meelee character to have a much lower dex for attack rating purposes.

4) The ratio of your dodge, resists and in general the chance of monsters hitting you changes based on the level difference, that is a meaningful increase, too, i think the general purpose of that suggestion was to disconnect some of the progression from gear.

6) IMO, even if you talk it down in that terms, it is still more fun to have several "trajectories" that may or may not connect at some point for additional effect, than to have a single one, gear.

Flame on!

6) IMO, even if you talk it down in that terms, it is still more fun to have several "trajectories" that may or may not connect at some point for additional effect, than to have a single one, gear.

Well there's no need for gamers to sound so desperate for control over their characters that they're willing to put up with a poorly designed archaic system.  There are a hundred other potential systems which would give players more actual control over how their character performs (including a permanence to those decisions, if that's so important for players) but which remain more interesting in the long run than stat-choosing.

Well there's no need for gamers to sound so desperate for control over their characters that they're willing to put up with a poorly designed archaic system.  There are a hundred other potential systems which would give players more actual control over how their character performs (including a permanence to those decisions, if that's so important for players) but which remain more interesting in the long run than stat-choosing.

That they sound desperate is your perception i dont share.

That they should put up with any "archaic poorly designed system" is you idea, noone has suggested that.

That the d2 stat system is a archaic and poorly designed system is again just your perception i dont share. (Technically, a gear-only-stat system is comparably old to a stat system one, havent you played MUDs ? :) )

That there are other systems is true, but it is irrelevant, since the devs have not chosen any of them (or just fragments of them), and we are not arguing the QUALITY of a secondary progression system, but it simply being present and needed or not, even the author of point 6 just threw it in as a suggestion.

Flame on!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I agree that PvP has never been so important in a Diablo game.

I consider the "carrot" to be the problem of the game. Items need more depth than just hunting +x of your primary stat. For me, Diablo II was about items. In Diablo III, the items kind of suck unfortunately.

Gameplay is fine, in my opinion.

Better itemization would help, but wouldn't really solve the AH.

Diablo is a game about rolling your loot dice and hoping you get lucky -- if you roll 1-1000 and get higher than your previous best, you win (an item upgrade!)

The AH lets you buy a "950" roll, which immediately makes 95% of the potential loot drops useless to you and causes you to focus more on selling things for gold than experiencing the excitement of finding your own upgrades (which is great fun when it happens.)

The game's other major problem is that "endgame" didn't really get cleanly organized into tiers, so it's actually enormously time-consuming to farm gear in your current tier to be able to advance to the next tier.  I farmed Act 1 inferno for a huge amount of time compared to how quickly I zipped through the rest of the game, but felt like I made very little progress towards being geared for Act 2/3, at which point I quit.  

I have to agree with that.

The major points for me would be:

1) close auction houses

2) add runes and rune words

3) add more interesting items across all qualities -> not just legendaries!!! (chance on hit, chance on being hit, various procs, skill buffs,...basically items which we know from D2 LoD already)

4) Increase max level to 99 (I understand that this point may be controversial and would harm certain game mechanisms e.g. balanced pvp which they plan to implement, but I would still like to have this "passive reward" for gear grind => "even though I did not get any items today, at least I made 50% of next lvl")

5) Add more item sets, buff them

These are just points I came up with in a hurry. I do not insist all of them are perfect. You may raise valid points that may actually make me change my mind about these. Take it as a suggestion if something

Edit: 6) Let me distribute stat points I guess

1) No .. just no. Without the AH, what do i do with the rare good drops for classes other than my main?

2) ???

3) Yes, i agree. Items with procs will be nice.

4) Nah .. more levels so that a number goes up is not interesting. Add levels only if they can make more skills with it. There is a reason for a max level .. they can make only so many skills.

5) Yes, i agree.

6) NOPE. Someone will figure out a optimization allocation and every one will just copy off the internet. Stat allocation is so boring. I prefer customizing actual skills that does something different.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

1) No .. just no. Without the AH, what do i do with the rare good drops for classes other than my main?

2) ???

4) Nah .. more levels so that a number goes up is not interesting. Add levels only if they can make more skills with it. There is a reason for a max level .. they can make only so many skills.

5) Yes, i agree.

6) NOPE. Someone will figure out a optimization allocation and every one will just copy off the internet. Stat allocation is so boring. I prefer customizing actual skills that does something different.

1) alts? more fun for the same 60 bucks?

4) It is implied that the level increase would go hand in hand with a difficulty decrease due to level difference, that is meaningful, but ofcourse a extra skill or a passive slot is even more attractive.

6) Guides do not hold your hands, there are guides even for skills atm, again stat allocation implies that there is a reason to do it, reagardless of its importance in the grand scale of things, if you would profit from str on a meelee wizard (proper meelee, not just short range spells like now), would it still be boring?

Flame on!

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

very simple

its boring finishing game 3 times to become chalanging on inferno  whit 1 character , i can imagane myself playing whit other classses same easy boring linear content

AH destroyed item hunt in game , all you see is gold collected and how much gold you can sell good item to buy what you wont. gold is boring

diablo in wow style graphic   lol

they cant fix this 3 things that make game bad compared to old diablo games

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

2) ???

5) Yes, i agree.

And you can at most use 5 different set of bracers. What about the other 1000 that drops?

4) It is implied that the level increase would go hand in hand with a difficulty decrease due to level difference, that is meaningful, but ofcourse a extra skill or a passive slot is even more attractive.

Numerical difficulty is not interesting. Do i really want to get another 50% dps so i can beat the same mob only with 50% more hp?

The only interesting thing about this game is the different combat mechanics imbued in teh skills. Without more skills, leveling is not interesting to me. Just some more numbers. If they can have more skills, i have no objection to more levels.

6) Guides do not hold your hands, there are guides even for skills atm, again stat allocation implies that there is a reason to do it, reagardless of its importance in the grand scale of things, if you would profit from str on a meelee wizard (proper meelee, not just short range spells like now), would it still be boring?

May be not. But it is a lot less interesting than allocating skills that actually matters. And to some extent, you are already doing it with gear at max level (trading off, for example, DPS stat with defense stats).

And you can at most use 5 different set of bracers. What about the other 1000 that drops?

Numerical difficulty is not interesting. Do i really want to get another 50% dps so i can beat the same mob only with 50% more hp?

The only interesting thing about this game is the different combat mechanics imbued in teh skills. Without more skills, leveling is not interesting to me. Just some more numbers. If they can have more skills, i have no objection to more levels.

May be not. But it is a lot less interesting than allocating skills that actually matters. And to some extent, you are already doing it with gear at max level (trading off, for example, DPS stat with defense stats).

1)  I dare you to drop "good" bracers for every class, much less 100 or 1000 of them, but that is not the point, the point is YOU have to have the desire to try the game for a different class and build (maybe BECAUSE of getting nice bracers for an other class/build), AND the game has to support and encourage that, not like atm, that basically every meelee class just stacks X and every ranged stacks Y and they play the same within their categories with the nearly interchangeable things like teleport vs vault or diamond skin vs smoke screen, kiting till tomorrow. Otherwise the whole discussion is just academic, i mean, if you would play just for the ah, would not be a proper job better? Less fun, if you are capable of getting fun from the current state of the game, but more cash.

4) That "numerical difference" can be the difference between being annoying and fun, players are not machines, and those numbers can also mean that a interesting build becomes suddenly viable, like it is with some crazy overgeared people atm, crazy overleveled instead of crazy overgeared :) , lottery vs a sure increase.

6) It is not a zero sum thing, that "something" has the potential to be more effective or pronounced does not mean that something else cannot be implemented, if it means just 5% more customers for your 1000 bracers, isnt it worth it? :)

//tired babble off

Flame on!