Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New rumor on F2P

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Enjoy ;)

Old Today , 06:03 PM | #1
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...yoffs-rumored/

"auto34058432
I know many won't believe me. but, I work at Bioware. best part for me is coming here to read fans replies. I won't tell you much and I don't care if you believe me. So here is "what's" going on were I work.

If you havent noticed the interviews we had given sometime back had been removed. mainly, the interviews that gave it "away" that we are looking at adding F2P model. we are indeed adding free to play to the game. now the best part for me is anonymity I have that allows me to be open.
We will have mainly have a "fluff" shop for the new direction with F2P. but much of the legacy system will have the option to purchase those "perk's" (the main reason credit cost are high to slow progression until we patch F2P) as well many parts of the game will have new content that requires you purchase are type of "coinage" from the cash shop so you can buy the access to "special" content/quest. now new companions will also be in the shop. but due to us getting down sized and the staff changes a small team is working on these F2P changes.
I don't want anyone to be upset by this. but many of these changes had been in the "planning stages" for many months since the sharp drop in subscribers. many parts of the game will cost money to access. for example you can unlock the new "cathar" race in your legacy. but buying the unlock, it will cost 10$ US

So we are all pretty upset here. we know Daniel and Jimmy many more are next round of layoffs. EA blames us and to some extent they're right to. but it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow. Also from what I have heard in the halls, Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA,EA suits ecouraged the new guy at LA to increase the licensing fee at renewal time. it was a move to remove any direct competiton to TOR.

Sorry guys gotta go but be good to each other."

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Yeah not saying SWTOR will never go F2P but  these fake 'i work at BW so i know everything' nonsense gotto stop.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ea don't do f2p, daoc and uo still have a sub.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

isn't the grammar too bad?  It reminds me of those. . Ur account is froz. . log in to save it or kittenz die.  At least I don't think he was in any inner circle.

So we are all pretty upset here. we know Daniel and Jimmy many more are next round of layoffs.

We will have mainly have a "fluff" shop

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118576-EA-Considering-Different-Models-for-The-Old-Republic

"Our conclusion was we had a great product in Star Wars, but that the subscription model in the world of free-to-play was challenging," he said.

• Xin1Xin1 Member Posts: 34

If the OP is honest, time will tell, but BW has gone on record that is is looking into a F2P model.  It would be logical and could balance some parts of the game by doing so.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ea don't do f2p, daoc and uo still have a sub.

http://www.ea.com/1/play-free-games

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112

Out of all the BS I've read over the years about many games...some true most not, for some odd reason I buy this....yeah I'm crazy I know. xD Oh well I guess we all can not say we never saw this coming if it does happen eh?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I feel I have directed my venom in much more unique and deserving directions than most of my fellow posters here and one sect is "the anonymous source".  Whistle blowers who are exposing things that are ethically or legally questionnable fine but I'm through with stuff like this.

It also doesn't help that this guy can't spell or use the correct words/spellings to save his life, maybe English isn't his first language but that's more his problem than mine as far as me not believing a word he says.

I've been around this industry long enough to say that there are indeed some points in this post that may have validity, maybe EA and LA did conspire to push SWG out the door, so what? that's been out there forever and until some representative of one of those two companies says so with his name attached to it what does this really mean?

There have been too many rumors to assume that there is no way SWTOR won't go free to play if things haven't or don't turn around but again until someone who actually can put their name to it does what does it really mean?

I'd say there is a fifty fifty chance they go free to play and much less a chance LA,EA, or BW ever admit that SWG was forced out so this post really isn't worth the kb used to make it.

But the ocurance with the longest odds would have to be anyone taking this post seriously.

Didn't EA Louses post also start out with some "I work there and I don't care if you believe me" stuff as well?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Yeah..... I work at Arenanet and they are planning to introduce a sub 2 months after launch.....

<<<Dear Mods, this is a sarcastic post, I do not infact work at Arenanet, and i am being sarcastic>>>

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Unless the person works as a janitor, I have to say it's a fake.  I've never seen a professional in any field write so poorly with the possible exceptions of English as a second language or typing a long post on a phone.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

An obvious fake.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

EAlouse 2.0

"but it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow" 

Fuck that. They had selective hearing on this one, and even still failed ot make it like KOTOR.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

I believed it up until the part about expecting that any sane person would pay real-world money for the Legacy unlocks.  Most people won't pay in-game money for the Legacy unlocks, let alone actual cold cash.  What I'm saying is...Legacy is such a joke...

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

I'm not going to judge him either way yet. Everyone called EALouse a liar and so far he was pretty much spot on. I'm certainly not going to dock him over grammar. I've been speaking English my whole life and haven't got it down yet. How dare I cast the 1st stone? For one who's to say he's not intentionally typing out of character because if EA finds out who he is then it's a for sure bet he's fired and fired in a way he can't get benefits. Meh, who knows?

One thing to me is he may be making some grammatical errors but he pretty well nails coming across as sincere. Hard for a troll to do that more times than not.

Anyways, only time will tell how true he is or not. I know better than the crow I'll eat if I get caught on the wrong side if he does turn out to be right.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

The thing is there is a similar post on the official forums, almost 11 pages long in responses, and it has not been locked yet. Usually if it is a 100% false/troll post doesn't BioWare usually shut those types of posts down? I'm surprised they have not closed this one yet. I could understand maybe Sunday, but it is still a work day.

Forgot to add this. When he says: Daniel and Jimmy does he mean... Daniel Erickson and James Ohlen? I can see how the Legacy system can easily go to the cash shop since the price for most of them seem so high. But the majority of them aren't that good to begin with right?

I really don't like the sound of paying for special content/areas/quest to eventually obtain items from those "extras." I do believe that the F2P model was planned way ahead of time. A good portion of companies do that (or will in the very near future). The Secret World can easily be converted, so can TERA. Even with FFXIV, Yoshida stated on 2 separate questions that he was "very interested" in the F2P model. But if you make everything tied to the cash shop, won't that drive people away?

I do believe the comment about them shutting down SWG: because of it being a direct competition. But I don't think it is the only reason. Just a piece of the puzzle that may potentially never see the light of day of it being solved..

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is "encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow." Wasn't almost the entire game a copy from WOW? Wasn't there an obvious disconnect from the folks on top to the rest of the crew? I'm not sure about this.

One last thing, if it is true that Daniel and James are next, does that pretty much include everyone that was at the top of the totem pole in the project? Or at the very least the most visible figures of the project? I mean the only other person that was “out there” was… that guy with the European sounding name.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

"but it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow."

That line annoyed me... either a huge majority of beta testers were saying the exact opposite things that I was saying, or the above is just bs...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is "encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow." Wasn't almost the entire game a copy from WOW?

No.  In fact, had they not fucked up the WoW model and instead made it an exact clone, it might have done better.  Bioware's problem isn't that they made a WoW clone, despite what the butt-hurt SWG sandboxers will tell you.  Bioware's problem is that they made a shitty WoW clone, filled with too much instancing to enhance their storylines, a closed-off, dull, linear world design, poor endgame content, and many missing quality-of-life features that are standard with MMOs.  

This game would have been just fine as a WoW clone.  Unfortunately, they boxed themselves in with their own story and constructed their entire game as nothing more than a linear vehicle in which to convey that story.  

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by DeaconX

"but it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow."

That line annoyed me... either a huge majority of beta testers were saying the exact opposite things that I was saying, or the above is just bs...

Not necessarily, everyone was screaming KOTOR3 and Bioware was set on a MMO so going by the end product we got KOTOR 3 and WOW both. Well sorta, they just screwed up how to do it. Once a game goes into testing, all the foundations are set. All the complaints from testers were mute not only from arragance from the overlords but also because by then it was too late to build a new game. They were stuck on the core of the game but that's still no excuse my many other things didn't get done.

Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is "encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow." Wasn't almost the entire game a copy from WOW?

No.  In fact, had they not fucked up the WoW model and instead made it an exact clone, it might have done better.  Bioware's problem isn't that they made a WoW clone, despite what the butt-hurt SWG sandboxers will tell you.  Bioware's problem is that they made a shitty WoW clone, filled with too much instancing to enhance their storylines, a closed-off, dull, linear world design, poor endgame content, and many missing quality-of-life features that are standard with MMOs.  

This game would have been just fine as a WoW clone.  Unfortunately, they boxed themselves in with their own story and constructed their entire game as nothing more than a linear vehicle in which to convey that story.  

Thanks so much for the quick response. I had quite a few questions, but this was the main one. I'm really worried though, if it is true that the other 2-3 guys at the top of the totem pole got chopped, then... who the hell is steering the ship? I mean when I see that all or most of the new content will be sold off as "extras" that really sends off red signals. I see that pushing away people much more than retaining them or bringing the ones that left back. If all of these people are gone (or will be gone) who the hell is making these new atrocious decisions?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Yeah I have no idea what "fans' were telling them to make the game like KOTOR.  And really, since the VO part of the game is essentially what makes it like KOTOR, and VO is far and above the most major part of this game...I don't think it would even be possible for "fan feedback" to have changed the direction of the game.  It clearly meant to be more KOTOR-like from the start.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Korusus

I believed it up until the part about expecting that any sane person would pay real-world money for the Legacy unlocks.  Most people won't pay in-game money for the Legacy unlocks, let alone actual cold cash.  What I'm saying is...Legacy is such a joke...

I'd pay, but I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for anything on there.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Originally posted by Korusus

I'd pay, but I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for anything on there.8i 

I think this is the key of what are they doing with Legacy. 

I cant belive they (BW)are so short minded to add so much crap as Legacy joins, and call it a revolutionary system. I cant belive that a drag and drop Character Bio Sheet , that can't  even be inspected by other players, or a pile of useless nonsenses like 2% experience boosts for a total ammount of 600 xp, is something people really wants to grind.

The trick is they are saving the cool things for cash people:  like +300% xp perks , crafting crits chance, new animations, gear or companions, even new species (also it will be another coloured human like cathars, zeltrons or whatever ...)

We will see how Legacy becomes a store like the STO store where to buy new ships, new crew (companions), new clothes (lol everybody will pay this as actual robes and clothes are so dumb as wear a bell on  the head...oh wait) 

LEGACY CRAP JUST CAN'T BE SO LAME AS IT IS. I cant belive it. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I'm Batman and this is my internet cover.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Deewe

Enjoy ;)

what I have heard in the halls, Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA,EA suits ecouraged the new guy at LA to increase the licensing fee at renewal time. it was a move to remove any direct competiton to TOR.

Sorry guys gotta go but be good to each other."

What about that bit there? Do you think its true?