Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gems purchase.

xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Has Anet released or any rumors on how much gems cost, during BWE3 and at launch? Or we have yet to find out on friday.

I would probably buy gems after launch, but i have yet to see its prices.

Comments

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

800 gems = $10 (also 10 euros)

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

maybe a dumb question...

why sell gems for real cash for the bwe3?  Im guessing no wipe?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Takiton

maybe a dumb question...

There will be a wipe, but any Gems you buy this weekend will be credited back to your account in time for the Head Start leading up to launch day. Nice for Arenanet, since they can start making some money from Gems now, but also nice for players, since it gives you a chance to buy something this weekend and decide if your gem store purchases are worthy of a re-purchase once the game goes live.

I'll be buying some for BWE3. Since I passed on the CE and didn't find the Digital Deluxe Edition all that compelling, I'll probably top off my account with the difference, to support the game and to "make my own" special edition perks when the game launches. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by fiontar

maybe a dumb question...

There will be a wipe, but any Gems you buy this weekend will be credited back to your account in time for the Head Start leading up to launch day. Nice for Arenanet, since they can start making some money from Gems now, but also nice for players, since it gives you a chance to buy something this weekend and decide if your gem store purchases are worthy of a re-purchase once the game goes live.

I'll be buying some for BWE3. Since I passed on the CE and didn't find the Digital Deluxe Edition all that compelling, I'll probably top off my account with the difference, to support the game and to "make my own" special edition perks when the game launches. :)

So if you plan on buying GEMS anyway, buy them this weekend and you can spend them 2 times.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg

You got a source for this? If that's true then the US is getting a much better deal because $10 is about the same as 8 EUR right now...

Oh, and there is no way I'd buy gems for a beta, even if I'll be getting them back again later. What is in the gem store could be totally changed at release. You don't even know what you'll be spending that money on.

I don't think the game is PTW or anything like that but ANet (or NCSoft) are proving to be some right money grabbing bastards. Grabbing money before they have even earned the right to have it. I hope it doesn't continue like this.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Vannor

You got a source for this? If that's true then the US is getting a much better deal because $10 is about the same as 8 EUR right now...

that's mostly because of taxes, in all games europe gets the same price with usa with the difference it's EURO and not USD hence higher value.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

Originally posted by wutae

that's mostly because of taxes, in all games europe gets the same price with usa with the difference it's EURO and not USD hence higher value.

Anyone know what the rate in British Pounds is? There is no way it can be £10 per 800.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

Anyone know what the rate in British Pounds is? There is no way it can be £10 per 800.

If memory serves me correct it was £8.50 I think.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

I'm from europe but i will buy my gems in dollars TY.

Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

Thanks. Lol, that's still the worst deal of the lot at current exchange rates.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

maybe a dumb question...

Because that way they can test their transaction and payment system. So they can sort out any bugs or problems before the game launches. I'd say it's a really good move. Tho, they will wipe everything and return all the gems you bought this weekend to your account once the game launches. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by fiontar

maybe a dumb question...

So if you plan on buying GEMS anyway, buy them this weekend and you can spend them 2 times.

You can spend them this time, but obviously anything you buy will not be on your account at release - though you will be credited with the gems that you purchased during BWE3 - personally I'll be buying a nice amount and looking about at what is good to buy with them and what is a waste of cash, then acting accordingly at release :P

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Lokomotiv

That won't work, they will know where you are either from your IP, or from your credit card or paypal address...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

That won't work, they will know where you are either from your IP, or from your credit card or paypal address...

Is there a way to buy gems for someone else? Gift them?

Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

Thanks. Lol, that's still the worst deal of the lot at current exchange rates.

It also includes the 20% VAT, whereas the $10 has tax added on at the end of the transaction.

Yes, as per usual UK pays a bit more, but in reality it is not by much.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

that's a myth... not any game company can charge you your "taxes"... What would they do with them, collect taxes for each country and then send them back to citizens goverment?

It's just a well known way of making more money. Steam was doing that for a long time, but lately the rates of $ and € are somewhat as they should be.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

This is because in EU VAT (between 19% and 21% depending on country) is included in every purchase as disctated by trade laws. In the US this is not (always) the case and folks should pay the VAT themselves some way or another which I don't know the details about.

It has been like this for ages and is also for example the reason why many of us euros have been importing media from the US for a looooong time (long before there was such thing as digital purchases) and hoping that customs wouldn't inspects those packages and send a bill to the recipient.

If NCsoft / Anet would do it according to exhange rate they would need to soak up the VAT costs themselves meaning they would get a lot less revenue from EU purchases than from US purchases.

Originally posted by korent1991

that's a myth... not any game company can charge you your "taxes"... What would they do with them, collect taxes for each country and then send them back to citizens goverment?

It's just a well known way of making more money. Steam was doing that for a long time, but lately the rates of $ and € are somewhat as they should be.

Yes they can, as the money is transfered to their accounts outside of the country the payment originated then a tax is imposed on the total amount.

M

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I will be on same servers as American people and you tell me I can't buy gems at same price they do? = Lawsuit win in Europe and in America.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

Oh, and there is no way I'd buy gems for a beta, even if I'll be getting them back again later. What is in the gem store could be totally changed at release. You don't even know what you'll be spending that money on.

I don't think the game is PTW or anything like that but ANet (or NCSoft) are proving to be some right money grabbing bastards. Grabbing money before they have even earned the right to have it. I hope it doesn't continue like this.

What is your reasoning for this exactly? They are releasing gems for this beta so they can test the system and make any changes they may need to make before launch. This is due to the fact that if they change something like the gem system after launch they will get a lot of backlash from the community for messing with the real money part of the game (diablo 3 anyone?)

I am just curious since there is no downside to what they are offering to why you have such a strong opinion (based on your 'there is no way'). You are welcome to your own opinion however it feels like you one of those people who exploded at the thought of 'paying' for beta when ArenaNet offered Pre Purchase (again, this system had no downside). Deciding that what is being offered is so rediculous because its never been done before is very short sighted.

I guess they could just give everyone some gems for free to test the system but if you are going to buy gems at launch or shortly after then what exactly is holding you back from buying them now?

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

maybe a dumb question...

It's a money grab.

-More people than over before will be playing the game and thus more people without self-control to get money from.

-Some beta key and pre-order gem buyers are moret likely to buy the game to not let their gems go to waste.

I'm beginning to make peace with it because they've expanded their rosters and I suppose they want to get returns for their investment as soon as possible. I just wish all the spin and drivel some devs and some fans put out would stop. Call a spade a spade.

The only worrying things are:

-Not getting one's account to "paid" status within the grace period whether it's a pre-purchase, pre-oder or beta key account may result in a lost of gems.

-Items bought with real money (via the gem system) during this BWE will be wiped at release.

Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by korent1991

Yes they can, as the money is transfered to their accounts outside of the country the payment originated then a tax is imposed on the total amount.

M

ok, and how would they know what tax should they calculate for since almost every country in europe has different tax rates on digital goods (not to mention some of them don't even have laws for digital goods yet) ?

how do you explain the "taxes" for europe then? :D

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by friednietz

-Items bought with real money (via the gem system) during this BWE will be wiped at release.

But you will get your money (gems) back so you can buy the items again without a penalty

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by friednietz

But you will get your money (gems) back so you can buy the items again without a penalty

I did not know that they returned the full amount of gems bought. That's more fair than the scenario I envisioned.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

For purposes of Vat it does not matter which server you play on .It is your location that is used for VAT calculation. So you still have to pay in euro if you play from Europe and pay vat even if you are playing on an American server. This applies to even items I buy from shops in the US when they get to Rome I pay vat when the postman delivers it.