Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: GameFace: Ultima Forever and WoW Stabbing

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In our latest edition of GameFace, our very own Hillary "Pokket" Nicole discusses Ultima Forever, the recently announced rebirth of the beloved Ultima franchise, and also touches upon the reported stabbing of a man over an argument about World of Warcraft.

Comments

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Game addiction got a new meaning in the past years, before was all about gambling, ruining lifes gambling the money they didnt had. Today game addiction is a subject well discussed in PHD thesis, psychology and so on.

Gaming is a new way of life, of course this will always be hotly ethical debated. A virtual world where you can be yourself, not a social forced slave as the society obliged.

Virtual worlds always existed,  its called imagination, a free world in your mind, inside you, your soul.

Destroying someone life, imaginary or not, is destroying that person freedom, the possibility to imagine, psychologically destroyed that person will enter in a world of despair, someone just ruined their life.

Of course i dont agree with this, he just murder someone it´s wrong, he must be punished!  but thats how i am, we cant judge someone else personality and education, blame the lack of attention from parents or in school, but after all, i do understand, he just got his mind, soul and life ruined for some reason.

Peace.

Beta tester maniac

• Xin1Xin1 Member Posts: 34

I'm also looking forward to an Ultima Online 2, but i think it's best they don't go there.  The expectations would be to great.  It should be about building communities in a huge explorable sandbox enviroment.  They tried to go in a different direction but the UOX never got released.  It would have had succes though.

When it comes to Ultima Forever, i'll just have to wait and see, but EA does have a bad reputation and BW's glory days are over aswell.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I disagree with "Its just a ....", because its such an easy way to belittle someone's life. Its just a sport. Its just a job. Its just a girl/boy.

Anything someone devotes a lot of their time and energy into is more than, "its just" to them. To dismiss it is the same as saying, "The choices you have made and the things you like are unimportant and meaningless."

However anything can be taken to far, games, work, even relationships. When that happens its important that the person gets the help they need. Saying "Its just ..." Isn't going to help them.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

think of that one thingyou really like your home,car,boat,golf clubs whatever if someone was to walk up to you and tell you its just a stupid car house boat golf clubs you would be slightly offended 

now your not going to go as far as stab someone or hell if you think you have been dissed one too many times you might and just because "its just a game" doesnt mean it is any different then someone with thier hobbies

though again the i stabbed him when i went temporarily insane after he said my game was stupid is not an appropriate defense or excuse

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

EA will surely fuck this up and turn it into a steaming pile of poo...

loved and still love ultima online though. but EA will fuck it up, no doubt about it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Ultima Forever sounds like another failing attempt to grab as much money as possible while providing as little as possible.

As for the stabbing. He should be sentenced to a nice lengthy jail sentence so that he has enough time to figure out that it really is just a game.  And for the people that are trying to justify the gaming "way of life", I feel really sorry for you and what you are blindly missing out on.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• legacyhaxlegacyhax Member UncommonPosts: 31

Seriously, too small to play on Android?  *sigh*  

This would go nicely on my Xoom or even better if you have an Asus Transformer Prime.  The iPad can't even compare.... ;-p

Anyways, I played UO and I still jump from one game to another to find that first experience.  Sadly, no game will ever captivate me like UO did, aside from maybe a remake of UO?  

Great Lakes server is the best.... just saying.

LegacyHax

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

Jail time possibly, though I would also like the poor guy who was stabbed to have his say.  Psychological counselling certainly, once we slip out of realitu to the extent that the virtual life becomes all there is to life then like any addiction, it has gone way too far.  With luck the Canadian authorities will be able to look at all the facts, something we cannot do, and will be able to take appropriate action.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

maybe this canadian stabber ate too much gamerfood. On the other hand, the guy who recently died for playing 40 hours straight on Diablo 3 needed some gamerfood to play another 40 without dying lol...

silly people attempting killing and dying over games.

EDIT: i think we need more freelancer psychologists and psychiatrists (or however its written :p)

• zizzleyozizzleyo Member UncommonPosts: 6

This is going to be nothing like UO! It's a carebear co-op piece crap with preset charcters and most likley levels. With NO continues world.....no pks, no stealing, no house fighting, no house looting, no hunting pk's, nothing that made UO the only game of its kind!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Ryowulf
    I disagree with "Its just a ....", because its such an easy way to belittle someone's life. Its just a sport. Its just a job. Its just a girl/boy.

Anything someone devotes a lot of their time and energy into is more than, "its just" to them. To dismiss it is the same as saying, "The choices you have made and the things you like are unimportant and meaningless."

However anything can be taken to far, games, work, even relationships. When that happens its important that the person gets the help they need. Saying "Its just ..." Isn't going to help them.

Pockets thoughts mean nothing, its just a blog.

silly people attempting killing and dying over games.
    At the risk of taking things completely to far and out of context

Is that any worse or better than dying for someone else's ideals?
    There is no good reason for unnecessary death.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• UnitAkiraUnitAkira Member UncommonPosts: 25

Ah stabbing nothing new i have heard of a murder that happened because of something that went down ingame .. the guy tracked the other guy down thru different social media turned up and boom. guess he was calling him a noob or some thing or KS-ed him but its the world we live in and hipster game nazi's have to remember there are freaks out there.. maybe the tale is just an urban myth supposely the game company paid out to keep things quiet .. i hear in china there are always beatings and stuff  because of crap that happens ingame in WOW and other MMO's.. personally i think its funny as hell ..sad yes people get hurt but the whole reason behind it.. funny.. as they say it takes two to tango . and there are crazier problems in the world that i much rather waste my greif/ thoughts etc on that a few gamers popping each other over gaming crap..pretty much just be chilled in game and no freak is going to get ya lol. and the dude who got stabbed well one he failed  in situational management .. relate and connect with the person get him talking to try and defuse and change the temperment ..belittling his world doesnt help things. he was going into a heated situation anything can happen and did happen.

have a nice day :)

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Crazy characters in game usually have crazy people playing them. I make it a policy to avoid those people IRL, and do the same in-game.

People think that they can "get away" with being abusive/demeaning/[insert other derogatory term] in games and certain social media because they will never actually directly interact with the people they are doing it too. This removes a sense of accountability, which was always a bad thing.

I'm not saying it is good that people are being stalked/beaten/stabbed, but maybe people will start thinking about the implications of their in-game actions a bit more in this brave new (crazy) world.