Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's be honest/realistic here.

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by evolver1972

OMG you're right!  It IS a WoW clone!  Here's why:

It's an MMORPG

You use a computer, mouse and keyboard to play the game

It has a fantasy setting

There are avatars that you use to represent yourself in game

You control your avatar to kill things and the things you kill drop loot

There is PvP in certain areas

There's crafting

You can join a guild

Did I mention it's an MMORPG?

Thank you very much for showing me how much of an idiot I have been!  I have seen the light and now regret the $60 I paid and all of the fun I've had in GW2 BWEs!

BTW, I'm also looking forward to that WoW clone known as The Repopulation.  Should be fun.  However, I hope that if I see you in game, you and I are different factions....

OMFGROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sorrow
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Siveria

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2, the game to me anyway just seems like the next newest wow-clone/themepark coming out, with nothing really unique to the game at all. Only really unique thing I can see GW2 has is the fact there is no monthly fee. I personally don't expect much out of GW2 just like the other mmo's that have come out and tried to be the next wow/big mmo. The problem is in the fact that mmo's these days are just way to soloable, they have become bascally single player games with a irc chat room, till you hit cap.

What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear that in most of these themeparks has no more use anymore. Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have realm skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's. Anyway, yeah I'd not expect much out of gw2 if your smart, because like all the themeparks before it, people will be bored before the first week or 2 of release is up, it always happens, even to casuals.

*snip*

you obviously have not played the game and don't seem to really know anything about it.. its funny because your second paragraph starts with "What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time."

Ironically this is exactly what GW2 is all about

Go get em girl! I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this drivel

I just thought it was funny everything he complains about thats missing in todays MMOs is what GW2 strives to change and  basically what makes GW2 such a great game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

I still don't understand why there is no dislike/like a thread or rate it 1-5 stars so that readers can be warned of the idiocy that they might stumble upon...

Originally posted by pacov

I still don't understand why there is no dislike/like a thread or rate it 1-5 stars so that readers can be warned of the idiocy that they might stumble upon...

always have wished mmorpg.com would add thread rating to their forums

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2, the game to me anyway just seems like the next newest wow-clone/themepark coming out, with nothing really unique to the game at all. Only really unique thing I can see GW2 has is the fact there is no monthly fee. I personally don't expect much out of GW2 just like the other mmo's that have come out and tried to be the next wow/big mmo. The problem is in the fact that mmo's these days are just way to soloable, they have become bascally single player games with a irc chat room, till you hit cap.

What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear that in most of these themeparks has no more use anymore. Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have realm skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's. Anyway, yeah I'd not expect much out of gw2 if your smart, because like all the themeparks before it, people will be bored before the first week or 2 of release is up, it always happens, even to casuals.

*snip*

you obviously have not played the game and don't seem to really know anything about it.. its funny because your second paragraph starts with "What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time."

I just thought it was funny everything he complains about thats missing in todays MMOs is what GW2 strives to change and  basically what makes GW2 such a great game

You should read his post again then if you think that. Or learn about GW2.

Originally posted by travamars

*snip*

You should read his post again then if you think that. Or learn about GW2.

well aside from the whole raiding thing.. but his main complaints are what gw2 strives to fix in todays MMOs.. one of gw2 main focus is not needing to strive for level cap and to enjoy the journey as well as encouriging group play yet has many ways for a person to solo if they wish as well

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

OMG! Seriously that thought never occured to me.

We need to start a petition, again Im being serious, that would really help eliminate these kinds of threads all over MMORPG.

By the third sentence from the OP, I was sure that he/she knows nothing about GW2, and probably never even visited the website.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

We need to start a petition, again Im being serious, that would really help eliminate these kinds of threads all over MMORPG.

By the third sentence from the OP, I was sure that he/she knows nothing about GW2, and probably never even visited the website.

you become the wolfpack leader and we'll follow you ;P

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by Adiaris
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    What I think is that MMORPG.COM should be more careful about who they give special titles like "spotlight posters". There's a trend recently, a stream of uninformed poster spreading misinformation, and who have that "special" title.

I was thinking the very same thing earlier! I would expect a "spotlight poster" (and I'm not speaking specifically of the OP) to provide informative posts, if not insightful. 

Spotlight posters are just people that have had one of their posts made into a weekly community spotlight arent they? 

To be honest, I don't have a clue about anything regarding forum titles, stars or whatever on this site!
  • jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I'm a notorius hater of Wow and themeparks and i think guildwars 2 look's pretty darn good TBH. plus what does it matter?. if people enjoy it then who cares what someone who does not enjoy it think.

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I'm a notorius hater of Wow and themeparks and i think guildwars 2 look's pretty darn good TBH. plus what does it matter?. if people enjoy it then who cares what someone who does not enjoy it think.

because if everyone leaves "their" game to play gw2 they will have no one left to play with... just a thought

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

because if everyone leaves "their" game to play gw2 they will have no one left to play with... just a thought

No they are hoping that if all themeparks fail, maybe companies will consider making sandbox games for all 10 people that enjoy that sort of thing, at least on this forum specifically. But what you said is generally true.

• ColeguillaColeguilla Member Posts: 23

There should be a "vote for trolling" button on every thread and a rank table for them. I'm serious, this happens daily and this guy can be easily the 3rd one today ....Or maybe not because have a rank could motivate them even more O_O

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

you become the wolfpack leader and we'll follow you ;P

I just might, never done it before tho, I'll have to look into it.

Originally posted by silvermember

No they are hoping that if all themeparks fail, maybe companies will consider making sandbox games for all 10 people that enjoy that sort of thing, at least on this forum specifically. But what you said is generally true.

I enjoy sandbox games and i think a lot do but the market saw what warcraft did and figured themepark=$$$.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

FYI, And I hope to god a mod reads this and locks the thread...obvious attempt at marketing another game is obvious.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

Personally I am waiting for: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php The repopulation, if they actually deliver what the site says they are, it will be probally the first decent mmorpg thats come out in the last 6+ years that might have some actual chance at lastability. It reminds me a bit of swg with how the crafting is and the fact you can make a totally non-combat char if you want to. Now... The Secret world, dispite not being a bad game persay, people are quitting in droves already because quite frankly the game just gets too boring too fast, which from what I have read about GW2 is going to be the same thing here as well. But hey, if you quit for a while no biggie you can always come back later and not have to worry about having to pay a sub fee to check out the game after some updates.

Dispite saying all this I'll probally buy GW2 myself, just because I'll never have to worry about a sub fee again, I can come and go as I please when I please, which in my eyes, is a nice touch. I bought tsw for 37.50 on a 25% off sale on a webstore, and I have to say that was a big waste of money, not as big of a waste as diablo 3 was though. IMO if a mmorpg gets boring after 5-10 hours of playing it total, the game has some major issues that need to be addressed.

Signed Siv, a mmorpg gamer dying for a decent mmo to actually be released.. Upcoming mmo with Biggest possible chance of being a decent mmo? http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php

lol@u

Watch out, the goody two shoes mods might secretly remove your post, as they did mine when I told the little prick to stfu.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

I enjoy sandbox games and i think a lot do but the market saw what warcraft did and figured themepark=$$$.

I love sandbox games also, but lets be honest its a niche playstyle and thats why no company will even attempt to invest 100m into a real Triple AAA sandbox.   The closest you will get is vanguard its not some linear/themepark game like wow/rift but it isnt really a sandbox game either just an extremely large open world with a billion different paths to level and a dozen starting locations.

Originally posted by William12

I love sandbox games also, but lets be honest its a niche playstyle and thats why no company will even attempt to invest 100m into a real Triple AAA sandbox.   The closest you will get is vanguard its not some linear/themepark game like wow/rift but it isnt really a sandbox game either just an extremely large open world with a billion different paths to level and a dozen starting locations.

we will see. Hoping games like Archage do well to show a hybrid can work wonders in the MMO realm. It really is what is needed for longevity in this day in age for MMOs

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

OP you lost me at "GW2 is the newest wow-clone"

Try harder....or just simply...play the game.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

How has this thread not been Locked/Removed?!?

It was proven that this guy pretty much copied this post from one in the TSW Threads (which he also made). He's either a paid or unpaid shill for Repopulation. I know the post has been reported because it won't let me.

Why MMORPG? Why?!?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Well, at least the OP is going to buy the game and discover on their own how completely misinformed their original post was.

This game is the "real deal". For me, personally, it's the MMO I've been waiting for someone to make since I started playing MMOs about 14 years ago! It's not perfect, but it's fun, massive, immersive and most definitely is not a WoW clone.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Thread title:  "Let's be honest / realistic here."

First thought:  "Troll."

First sentence:  Confirmed suspicions.

GW2 trolls are so laughably predictable.  Even the words they use are near exactly the same, just tweaked slightly from one to the next.

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

I may or may not play this game. I may or may not like it.

And.. its none of your business if i do or dont.

I dont care if you do or dont like it... and i dont want to hear about it.

there. a reasonable response.  :p

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    4 lines in and it shows, you know nothing about the game or your a troll. /thread
This discussion has been closed.