Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's be honest/realistic here.

Comments

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Cromica

Lets be honest, GW2 is the most fun I have had playing an mmo in the last 6-7 years and I have played almost all of them.

Always the case with an unreleased game that were excited about, thats the issue here i think.

Go back and check out the beta-prelaunch threads for games like WAR/AOC/AION/RIFT/SWTOR...no one cares how totally awesome and game-changing warhammers beta and launch were..since the midgame and endgame are now known and a dud.

Just an example.

Ill hop in GW2 once the game is known...has way too much hype for my likings...way too much.   Since gear and levels dont matter so much i wont be too far behinds if ijump in a month later anyway.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    • Progression
    • Goals
    • Questing
    • etc
    Not sure what else you're looking for in the MMO genre.  Almost all MMOs are clones of each other when you break them down to the basic elements.  There is of course the Sandbox, but other than that, almost all of mmos are still the same.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by silvermember
    Originally posted by raistlinm
    Originally posted by freston

Seems OP idea of honesty/realism is agreeing with him.

And that makes him different than most of us on here how???

As for the op....as someone who is skeptical of GW2 if for no other reasons the people on here who treat it like it will have no flaws even I'm having a hard time seeing how you make the connection between what ANet is doing and what Blizzard did.

The only people who treat it like it has no flaws are people that hate the game. Guild wars 2 is a great game within the scope of what it is trying to accomplished. Not everything is perfect but the negatives are in no ways gamebreaking or significant enough to care. Guild wars 2 is just like every good 60 dollar game in the world, it is not perfect but it is better than MOST MMORPG in the market right now for me at least.

Guild wars 2 doesn't appeal to everyone but that is not the same as it being a bad or inperfect game.

note: it is impossible for humans to create anything perfect.

While I think I get what you are trying to say by saying the only people who treat it like it has no flaws I can't be certain since it certainly could have made more since with a better explanation or simply stated a different way.

What I speak about though is the GW2 fans who spent the better part of the last year fueling a SWTOR vs GW2 flame war by constantly posting on the site of other games to denounce them while equally shilling for the game they like and to be honest most people who I read from on here who hate the game have nothing good to say about it (which is why I think your statement could have been better presented).

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Siveria

What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear ,GW2 does  it right, it has questing, solo play, alot of group play,crafting  and de's,and  after  this you go to the WvW and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have  skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's.

Dispite saying all this I'll  buy GW2 myself, just because I'll never have to worry about a sub fee again, I can come and go as I please when I please, which in my eyes, is a nice touch.

Signed Siv, a mmorpg gamer dying for a decent mmo to actually be released.. Upcoming mmo with Biggest possible chance of being a decent mmo?GW2

Corrected

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

When the OP created a thread to complain about a game which he's never played and then said he plans on buying it, he lost all credibility to me.

I've played in all the BWE's and can't remember a game that was more fun since DAoC.

I know who I am, what I want and how I want to play it. That's all I need to know and don't need some fool to try to convince me it's anything but good.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2, the game to me anyway just seems like the next newest wow-clone/themepark coming out, with nothing really unique to the game at all. Only really unique thing I can see GW2 has is the fact there is no monthly fee. I personally don't expect much out of GW2 just like the other mmo's that have come out and tried to be the next wow/big mmo. The problem is in the fact that mmo's these days are just way to soloable, they have become bascally single player games with a irc chat room, till you hit cap.

What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear that in most of these themeparks has no more use anymore. Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have realm skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's. Anyway, yeah I'd not expect much out of gw2 if your smart, because like all the themeparks before it, people will be bored before the first week or 2 of release is up, it always happens, even to casuals.

*snip*

you obviously have not played the game and don't seem to really know anything about it.. its funny because your second paragraph starts with "What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time."

Ironically this is exactly what GW2 is all about

OWNED +1

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

OP, you know that pretty much everything you said that are missing from MMO's are in GW2 right?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2...

And you turned this into a four paragraph post about how you like The Repopulation. Welcome to the City of Trolls, your thread is now 4 pages deep.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

OK, judging by the opinions in your OP, the fact that you are looking forward to the repopulation, and seem to have fond memories of SWG, you are more of a sandbox / OWPVP fan at a guess. 

If thats the case, guild wars 2 isnt for you..... by design

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

What I speak about though is the GW2 fans who spent the better part of the last year fueling a SWTOR vs GW2 flame war by constantly posting on the site of other games to denounce them while equally shilling for the game they like

i agree w you

posters that denounce a game and try to market a different game is not doing anyone favors

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    The repopulation just looks like an earthrise clone to me, let's be honest/realistic here these indies are in capable of delivering a working game let alone an engaging sandbox.......see what I did there?
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by Nadia

What I speak about though is the GW2 fans who spent the better part of the last year fueling a SWTOR vs GW2 flame war by constantly posting on the site of other games to denounce them while equally shilling for the game they like

i agree w you

posters that denounce a game and try to market a different game is not doing anyone favors

No. they're not. But in many cases they are collecting paychecks for doing so. The Internet is now like politics - a small portion of the marketing and advertising is saying how good your side is, and the rest is tearing apart the competition.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by arkoh

If is a WOW Clone i rly want to know what gw2 copied from wow

W,A,S,D /joke

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

From what I have seen and read about Guild Wars 2, the game to me anyway just seems like the next newest wow-clone/themepark coming out, with nothing really unique to the game at all. Only really unique thing I can see GW2 has is the fact there is no monthly fee. I personally don't expect much out of GW2 just like the other mmo's that have come out and tried to be the next wow/big mmo. The problem is in the fact that mmo's these days are just way to soloable, they have become bascally single player games with a irc chat room, till you hit cap.

What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time raiding for gear that in most of these themeparks has no more use anymore. Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such, to add to this they also have realm skill points that provides some real further advancement of your char thru pvp. I am curious as to what went wrong with mmo's. Anyway, yeah I'd not expect much out of gw2 if your smart, because like all the themeparks before it, people will be bored before the first week or 2 of release is up, it always happens, even to casuals.

*snip*

you obviously have not played the game and don't seem to really know anything about it.. its funny because your second paragraph starts with "What happened to mmorpg's being about the journey and not how fast you can hit cap and then waste your time."

Ironically this is exactly what GW2 is all about

I would have said exactly this if you hadn't already.

@OP - personal preference does not indicated hightened quality.  I think that your quest for a "decent MMO" is flawed, and you should instead be searching for an MMO that you enjoy playing.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

This is MMORPG.com, Everyone loves it till it's released, Then the Hate bashing will begin. I haven't seen an MMO that this does NOT happen to on this site.

If it interests you, Give the Game a try, I like it.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Personally I am waiting for: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php The repopulation, if they actually deliver what the site says they are, it will be probally the first decent mmorpg thats come out in the last 6+ years that might have some actual chance at lastability. It reminds me a bit of swg with how the crafting is and the fact you can make a totally non-combat char if you want to. Now... The Secret world, dispite not being a bad game persay, people are quitting in droves already because quite frankly the game just gets too boring too fast, which from what I have read about GW2 is going to be the same thing here as well. But hey, if you quit for a while no biggie you can always come back later and not have to worry about having to pay a sub fee to check out the game after some updates.

Dispite saying all this I'll probally buy GW2 myself, just because I'll never have to worry about a sub fee again, I can come and go as I please when I please, which in my eyes, is a nice touch. I bought tsw for 37.50 on a 25% off sale on a webstore, and I have to say that was a big waste of money, not as big of a waste as diablo 3 was though. IMO if a mmorpg gets boring after 5-10 hours of playing it total, the game has some major issues that need to be addressed.

Signed Siv, a mmorpg gamer dying for a decent mmo to actually be released.. Upcoming mmo with Biggest possible chance of being a decent mmo? http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php

There is no wisdom in your words, sorry.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Sounds to me like the OP has never played the game. I would like to see you solo some of the 30+ content, especially some of the DE's. You simply cannot.

The fact that most people complaining have probably only played up to 10-15 (or not at all) doesn't say much of anything about the game. And no one really knows how the 50+ stuff is going to be. There is most definitely more group play (and mechanics that make you WANT other people to be around you) than pretty much any game I have played in the past 8 years.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

my head hurts... SO MUCH!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

What I think is that MMORPG.COM should be more careful about who they give special titles like "spotlight posters". There's a trend recently, a stream of uninformed poster spreading misinformation, and who have that "special" title.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't OP the same person who made similar topic about TSW and called it a WOW clone too?

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

Dark age of camelot did it right, it had questing, solo play, alot of group play, and raiding, after you raided for your gear, you'd don said gear and go to the frontier and help your realm take castles over and such

wait... solo play? questing in daoc? raiding in daoc? raiding for gear? after "raiding" you went out there to RvR? have you even played the game? are you confusing it with another game?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't OP the same person who made similar topic about TSW and called it a WOW clone too?

so far today he's called GW2, Diablo 3, and WarZ all WOW clones.

i am interested in what the commonality is between all 5 of these games that makes them such.  perhaps OP, you could return to this thread and clarify this point for us?

• Just becuase one is trying to be realistic doesn't mean they are very good at actually capturing reality.  The OP is an great example of this.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Good call. Even advertising for "The Repopulation" in this TSW post. Check it out.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Xzen

Good call. Even advertising for "The Repopulation" in this TSW post. Check it out.

Thanks for the link, i knew i read something similar for TSW, i had a deja vu feeling after reading this on GW2 forums.

This discussion has been closed.