Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape: Jagex Celebrates 200M Accounts Milestone

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Jagex's venerable free-to-play MMO, RuneScape, has officially passed the 200 million account milestone today. To put that number in perspective, Jagex has sent over a handy infographic, offering up interesting tidbits of information on the game.

For example, did you know that players have collectively logged over 443 billion minutes in RuneScape since it launched in January, 2001? It also turns out that players catch over eight billion fish in the game each year. Tasty! 

Find out more about RuneScape at the official website.

Click the image below for the full infographic.

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I think I'm one of the 200 million.. Can't remember /shrug

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

200 million individual players? thats a bloody lie.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

How many are actual ACTIVE players..? 1M or even less?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I tried this game for the first time the other day.. just for the hell of it. I clicked my mouse to move my guy then about 1-2 seconds later he actually started moving. About 2 seconds after that I was back on TSW.

I'll bet 150+ million of those people did exactly the same sort of thing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Runescape classic was one of the best MMOs.  Always something to do, and running through the wilderness killing people and stealing their gear was heart wrenchingly awesome.  That was about 10 years ago though.  

• sbenyeossbenyeos Member Posts: 2

I just want to say Runescape got me into mmo's before I knew what the acronym stood for.  There probaby aren't too many "real" players on the game anymore since it has outdated graphics/mechanics but I do think its a testament to the early attempts of online community building that this game has outlived many of its contempories of genre (fantasy, f2p, mmo)

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

I'm sorry but even today this game is amazing. We as players just grew out of it. I have started and stopped playing this game many years. Its mechanics are still unique and while the gameplay is boring, the social aspect (For a early-mid teen) is quite great.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Great game, got me started into the genre and to this day I still log in every once in awhile. Good times. 

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118
    How many of those 200 million accounts from the years of rampant botting?
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I don't know abou now but back when I played Runescape making a new character meant making a new account. So unless something has changed 200 million accounts really just means 200 million characters made which, while still a damn big number, doesn't really mean all that much.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

RuneScape is one of those games that got me into MMOs. Also for all those insulting it's graphics, you've obviously not discovered it's gameplay.

Smile

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Razeekster

RuneScape is one of those games that got me into MMOs. Also for all those insulting it's graphics, you've obviously not discovered it's gameplay.

What... You mean two avatars taking turns poking each other with pointed sticks until one of them falls over into a pile of loot?

J/K... I used to love Runescape and still log in from time to time but the combat always was a little lacking. The rest of the game more than made up for it though. It's probably the only MMO I've ever played where every single quest is very well thought out and tells a story. They are actual quests and not just fetch tasks like in most MMOs.

I do however question the 200 million players in that graphic however. I've personally made at least four Runescape accounts over the years for various reasons as I'm sure most others have made multiple accounts as well. Also there was a time when botting was rampant before they put in the random events(brilliant idea btw). I would say the actual number of unique players would be far fewer. Still a pretty amazing number anyways.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• StarfiredStarfired Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Razeekster