Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is nothing wrong with the cash shop in TSW ..

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Gargola
    Originally posted by Preacher26

The problem is not with the cash shop or the items available.

The problem is TSWs business model.

Box Sale - Subscription Fee - Cash Shop

If people are paying a sub fee they expect all content to be available to them. For example... the clothing in the cash shop should be available in game for in-game currency. This is of coarse my personal opinion. I always said I would never support this business model because I want it to fail so future developers dont use it.

I prefer sub games because I hate cash shops... just a personal preference... having both is just plain greedy. I expect access to all of the content when I buy a game and am paying an active sub... I dont expect companies to create special goodies or withold certain items and expect more money for them.

But just my opinion. People dont dislike the shop.. they dislike a company that feels this business model is acceptable. When GW2 launches I wont look back, even though I really like the game.

And that't their prerrogative, however, the item shop, as implemented by FC both doesn't force people to use it (in fact, subscribers get FC points to use there with multi-month subs, so they can get clothes from ther with no additional money) and allow for those that are willing to buy more completley cosmetic stuff to do so.

"For a 3 month gametime purchase you receive 720 bonus points (value $6)
    For a 6 month gametime purchase you receive 2160 bonus points (value $18)
    For a 12 month gametime purchase you receive 5760 bonus points worth $48 in the Item Store!"

So, yes, subscribers can get Cash SHop items without  having to put additional money.  If they sub for multiple months, which in itself its at a reduced cost, compared to a month by month sub.

Right, cause buying multiple month subs is the same thing as going on a month by month basis....

I can barely stand having to pay for a month when I might not even play the whole month let alone 3,6,12 or a lifetime sub....

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

If people are paying a sub fee they expect all content to be available to them. For example... the clothing in the cash shop should be available in game for in-game currency. This is of coarse my personal opinion. I always said I would never support this business model because I want it to fail so future developers dont use it.

I prefer sub games because I hate cash shops... just a personal preference... having both is just plain greedy. I expect access to all of the content when I buy a game and am paying an active sub... I dont expect companies to create special goodies or withold certain items and expect more money for them.

But just my opinion. People dont dislike the shop.. they dislike a company that feels this business model is acceptable. When GW2 launches I wont look back, even though I really like the game.

And that't their prerrogative, however, the item shop, as implemented by FC both doesn't force people to use it (in fact, subscribers get FC points to use there with multi-month subs, so they can get clothes from ther with no additional money) and allow for those that are willing to buy more completley cosmetic stuff to do so.

For a 12 month gametime purchase you receive 5760 bonus points worth $48 in the Item Store!"

So, yes, subscribers can get Cash SHop items without  having to put additional money.  If they sub for multiple months, which in itself its at a reduced cost, compared to a month by month sub.

I understand where he is coming from even though he is flat out wrong.

Its like going to mc donalds and think you dont want to pay that extra buck to get the extra large version, because you already payed for the meal.

Its like thinking you shouldnt have to pay extra to get dental care in your health ensurance since you already pay premium.

Its like saying you dont have to pay extra for that sun roof, soft leather chairs, and luxurious radio when you buy a car when you already payed for the basic model.

Theres an actual additional team working on designing items for the store, these would not have entered the game otherwise. Without the itemstore, just like its already done right now.. only a hand few new models would enter the game with game updates over time, like when a new pvp season, dungeion or raid is added.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Right, cause buying multiple month subs is the same thing as going on a month by month basis....

I can barely stand having to pay for a month when I might not even play the whole month let alone 3,6,12 or a lifetime sub....

I'd hate to visit an "all you can eat for $15" buffet restaurant with you, lol

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by Istavaan

It is funny how players have been slowly conditioned into accepting a cash shop in a sub based game, if this happened 5 years ago players would be outside the development studio with pitch forks and torches. ah humanity how easily you are manipulated.

Yes, you mean like how Anet forces you to buy GW1 to get HOM rewards and people accept it?

That's not really the same thing since neither GW1 or GW2 have a subscription and Istavaan is specifically talking about subscription based games.

We're talking about ways devs make money. GW2 as a box price, expansiosn and a cash shop, and even if i give Anet   money in all those forms, i'll still forced to buy another game to have full access. No different

HOM rewards have to be earned in game. You can't get HOM rewards for simply purchasing GW1 (which by the way doesn't have a subscription fee). It's more of a way for GW1 players to feel like GW2 is a continuation than bought items since the items have to be earned through play.

Thanks, you help my case. So, not only do i have to buy a game i may not want to have stuff in a game i already bought, i have to get good at it and actually beat it?

I think a better example of this is WoW selling mounts in their cash shop.

Yes, cash sops in a P2P game is a way to milk money , just like GW2's HOM from GW1.

Well, they are businesses and businesses need to make money off something. I just wanted to point out that like it or hate it WoW would make a better comparison than Guild Wars since Guild Wars doesn't charge a subscription fee to play their game but both WoW and TSW do. But hey, if you're determined to make this into TSW vs GW then go right ahead, I won't stop you.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cash shop at all. It's the subscription that I have a problem with.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If compared to the competition your example would be more like going to an "all you can eat for $80" instead image

It is funny how players have been slowly conditioned into accepting a cash shop in a sub based game, if this happened 5 years ago players would be outside the development studio with pitch forks and torches. ah humanity how easily you are manipulated.

Yes, you mean like how Anet forces you to buy GW1 to get HOM rewards and people accept it?

That's not really the same thing since neither GW1 or GW2 have a subscription and Istavaan is specifically talking about subscription based games.

We're talking about ways devs make money. GW2 as a box price, expansiosn and a cash shop, and even if i give Anet   money in all those forms, i'll still forced to buy another game to have full access. No different

HOM rewards have to be earned in game. You can't get HOM rewards for simply purchasing GW1 (which by the way doesn't have a subscription fee). It's more of a way for GW1 players to feel like GW2 is a continuation than bought items since the items have to be earned through play.

Thanks, you help my case. So, not only do i have to buy a game i may not want to have stuff in a game i already bought, i have to get good at it and actually beat it?

I think a better example of this is WoW selling mounts in their cash shop.

Yes, cash sops in a P2P game is a way to milk money , just like GW2's HOM from GW1.

Well, they are businesses and businesses need to make money off something. I just wanted to point out that like it or hate it WoW would make a better comparison than Guild Wars since Guild Wars doesn't charge a subscription fee to play their game but both WoW and TSW do. But hey, if you're determined to make this into TSW vs GW then go right ahead, I won't stop you.

Lately Freedom has been doing this ALOT... 

:(

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

And that is your preference, but it doesn't make the model a bad one.  If they forced you to pay in the cash shop by placing MUST GET items, or by affecting actual gameplay with them it would be a completely different thing.

Cash shop in TSW is like having extras for a car.  people can do without, or buy them.  If the car makers wouldn't be charging extra for them they wouldn't be there.

If there weren't ingame clothing options this would also be a very bad thing, but the OP is flat out wrong as you can get ingame a ton of clothes and accessories, both via achievements and by using the game vendors.

Glasses, boots, gloves, jackets, vests... so probably the OP didn't take a minute to check what are the actual options.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Oh cmon Kuppa, i'm still your friend, and hey, if you look at my comments, i praised GW2 many times and said i like the game and will buy it, so, i don't think i'm a hater. image

Anyway, the only reason i pointed it out is because many GW2 fans come around this like Anet is any different. Both games have fair business models, but both FC and Anet went to found an extra way to milk money.

FC added the cash shop for cosmetic items

Anet added the HOM which require GW1.

Why? Because it's a business. I don't think Anet is horrible while FC is a saint, trust me, not at all. Just don't like it when those comparasion are made.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cash shop at all. It's the subscription that I have a problem with.

Bingo.

I do not mind paying for new content as an expansion, or smaller stuff as micro transactions (if fairly priced) but if I wanted to fund its development I would become a shareholder.
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

I really don't see the problem, as the OP stated everything in the cash shop does NOT effect gameplay. What is wrong with offering more items at a premium? We do it in the real world and you don't see people complain. Let those that have the money do what they want and just enjoy the game. There will always be people who wish to show off or collect everything... there's money in that business in every walk of life. You can go buy a BMW if you wanna show off or buy a just as capable KIA and save yourself all that money.

And that is your preference, but it doesn't make the model a bad one.  If they forced you to pay in the cash shop by placing MUST GET items, or by affecting actual gameplay with them it would be a completely different thing.

Cash shop in TSW is like having extras for a car.  people can do without, or buy them.  If the car makers wouldn't be charging extra for them they wouldn't be there.

If there weren't ingame clothing options this would also be a very bad thing, but the OP is flat out wrong as you can get ingame a ton of clothes and accessories, both via achievements and by using the game vendors.

Glasses, boots, gloves, jackets, vests... so probably the OP didn't take a minute to check what are the actual options.

Its not that they force you to buy from the cash shop its that they have stuff there you cannot get in-game. Now, Ive seen this in a couple of threads. If you say its a lie then I guess we need someone to bring some concrete evidence.

I really don't see the problem, as the OP stated everything in the cash shop does NOT effect gameplay. What is wrong with offering more items at a premium? We do it in the real world and you don't see people complain. Let those that have the money do what they want and just enjoy the game. There will always be people who wish to show off or collect everything... there's money in that business in every walk of life. You can go buy a BMW if you wanna show off or buy a just as capable KIA and save yourself all that money.

Oh cmon Kuppa, i'm still your friend, and hey, if you look at my comments, i praised GW2 many times and said i like the game and will buy it, so, i don't think i'm a hater. image

Anyway, the only reason i pointed it out is because many GW2 fans come around this like Anet is any different. Both games have fair business models, but both FC and Anet went to found an extra way to milk money.

Why? Because it's a business. I don't think Anet is horrible while FC is a saint, trust me, not at all. Just don't like it when those comparasion are made.

But you are the one making the comparisons, we are talking about FC. You can go and open a thread about Anet.

Much respect though. image

Its not that they force you to buy from the cash shop its that they have stuff there you cannot get in-game. Now, Ive seen this in a couple of threads. If you say its a lie then I guess we need someone to bring some concrete evidence.

Had there been no cash shop those items most likely still wouldn't be obtainable in the game so what's the problem?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Don't you just hate that when you go to an all you can eat buffet they have the nerve to charge you extra for soda or beer? image

Damn cash shops are everywhere

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

But you are the one making the comparisons, we are talking about FC. You can go and open a thread about Anet.

Much respect though. image

Fair enough. I'm also to blame, but i stand my case. And i'm still your friend

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Had there been no cash shop those items most likely still wouldn't be obtainable in the game so what's the problem?

hahah had there be no game we wouldn't be talking about this. You can't just hide reality.

The problem is that if there is something I really like in that cash shop I(Me, Yo, My person) do not like that I have to buy it when I already paid 50 bucks for the game AND pay 15 more bucks a month.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I think they main problem I have with your argument is that you try and act like buying GW1 is that same as paying a sub + box  + cash shop. You try and make both game equal by saying they are both trying to milk money. Which in my opinion is either a half-truth you tell people on purpose or naivety.

Even if there are people actually buying GW1 that never owned it before and playing through it just to get the HOM rewards in GW2 (which is probably a miniscule percentage of people), it's still far, far cheaper than the TSW pricing model.

GW1 with all expansions: $30

GW2: $60

In 6 months you would spend $90.

Cash shop.

TSW Box: $50

TSW monthly fee in 6 months: $75

In 6 months you would spend $125.

PLUS it has a cash shop.

And the price only gets steeper as you go. In a year? $215. And it's not like both games aren't going to charge for expansions. Another thing is that players in GW2 can actually use gold to buy gems to buy cash shop items. You can't do that in TSW. So if you want something really badly from the cash shop like some slick pair of aviators, you HAVE to open your wallet.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

My 2 cents

I dont care about Vanity crap. Some people do...i get it

But for me If people want to give money to Funcom to fund development of the game through vanity items i am VERY happy since it will be more development and less staff cuts etc.

If funcom starts selling in game advantages without going F2P i will be gone in a second.

Simple.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by colddog04

I think they main problem I have with your argument is that you try and act like buying GW1 is that same as paying a sub + box  + cash shop. You try and make both game equal by saying they are both trying to ilk money. Which in my opinion is either a half-truth you tell people on purpose or naivety.

Even if there are people actually buying GW1 that never owned it before and playing through it just to get the HOM rewards in GW2 (which is probably a miniscule percentage of people), it's still far, far cheaper than the TSW pricing model.

GW1 with all expansions: $30

GW2: $60

In 6 months you would spend $90.

TSW Box: $50

TSW monthly fee in 6 months: $75

In 6 months you would spend $125.

PLUS it has a cash shop.

And the price only gets steeper as you go. In a year? $215. And it's not like both games aren't going to charge for expansions. Another thing is that players in GW2 can actually use gold to buy gems to buy cash shop items. You can't do that in TSW. So if you want something really badly from the cash shop like some slick pair of aviators, you HAVE to open your wallet.

Have you looked at the TSW cash shop?

Seriously take a look what they are selling before you complain that its such a horrible act they have comitted.

Everything there is dirt cheap other than the multi-piece outfits which are like $10...everything else is like a few dollars.  I spent $5 got a dresshirt and red tie, dress shoes and rectangle sunglasses.

They sell pretty lame clothing pieces, titles (really?) fireworks (can be made in game) and tag along pets...bad ones too (birds and dogs)

Would you complain if they just had a "donate" button and accepted donations...since thats basically what it is.  

I never got people who get all worked up over other peoples choices, especially when those choices have zero effect on them.  Would you complain that TSW will sell more than one copy of the game to people?  What about character slots when they give you free 3 and you have zero need to ever roll more than 3 character?

Its retarded.

If you dont like that the game your not playing has a very optional cash shop than you have some issues.  Dont like to support the people who make the games you play then theres a crapload of free games with your name on it, wont cost you a dime.

For the record i refuse to play games that make me spend in a cash shop to compete.  i cant stand it, i dont care if they let me in for free i will not pay money for an advantage nor will i be subjected to competing with others who want to spend hundreds of dollars on pixles.  Its why i prefer p2p games, and why i wont play a p2p game that has a cash shop that offers advantages that i NEED to compete.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The reality of cash shops is:

That people use them, they are profitable and that's why they are here and here to stay. This will only expand in the industry and I personally dont like it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by BigRock411

Seriously take a look what they are selling before you complain that its such a horrible act they have comitted.

Everything there is dirt cheap other than the multi-piece outfits which are like $10...everything else is like a few dollars.  I spent $5 got a dresshirt and red tie, dress shoes and rectangle sunglasses.

They sell pretty lame clothing pieces, titles (really?) fireworks (can be made in game) and tag along pets...bad ones too (birds and dogs)

Would you complain if they just had a "donate" button and accepted donations...since thats basically what it is.  

I never got people who get all worked up over other peoples choices, especially when those choices have zero effect on them.  Would you complain that TSW will sell more than one copy of the game to people?  What about character slots when they give you free 3 and you have zero need to ever roll more than 3 character?

Its retarded.

If you dont like that the game your not playing has a very optional cash shop than you have some issues.  Dont like to support the people who make the games you play then theres a crapload of free games with your name on it, wont cost you a dime.

That was a lot of words to say that you like the cash shop in TSW and can't stand anyone that disagrees with your opinion about it.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by BigRock411

Its retarded.

That was a lot of words to say that you like the cash shop in TSW and can't stand anyone that disagrees with your opinion about it.

And so few words to miss the entier point and deflect.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by laserit

The reality of cash shops is:

That people use them, they are profitable and that's why they are here and here to stay. This will only expand in the industry and I personally dont like it.

Unfortunately yes and thew cash shops will only get worse and more exploitive till consmers actually vote with their wallets and say no,which won't happen whilst gamers act like junkies willign to put up with anything for their chosen fix and make excuses for their chosen game and developer and rationalise their expenditure.

It's fine for conpanies to try to maximize their profits where the break down is in today's market is consumers don't fight to spend as little as they can having been trained for decades that a free market means companies can do what they want and we should accept and trust them.