Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Whats wrong with swtor.

13»

Comments

• NethermancerNethermancer Toronto, ONPosts: 520Member

SWTOR is a fundamently flawed game. 

I played through the story of the Assassin. This story was bland, shallow as hell and fragemented. IT was terrible.

Atmospher Terrible

dungeons Terrible

crafting Terrible

PVP actually kind of fun but shallow and boring after a couple weeks

This is by far the worst thing Bioware has ever done.....o wait Dragon Age II

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

SWTOR is a fundamently flawed game. 

I played through the story of the Assassin. This story was bland, shallow as hell and fragemented. IT was terrible.

Atmospher Terrible

dungeons Terrible

crafting Terrible

PVP actually kind of fun but shallow and boring after a couple weeks

This is by far the worst thing Bioware has ever done.....o wait Dragon Age II

I thought some of the dungeons were pretty cool. Some seemed to be well done and had a lot of effort put into them.

Others were extremely generic and felt rushed like they were added in game to simply increase the numbers.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• thamighty213thamighty213 NewcastlePosts: 1,630Member
    Originally posted by cylon8
    Soes clone wars ftp mmo has more to offer than tor. Player housing; good character customization,fun mini games even open world combat. Tor is lifeless and segregates players due to outdated server tech.it shows very clearly bioware had no idea how to make an mmo or code the hero engine. The drs insistance that EA remains hands off was their undoing and proved the only used the sw ip as a barganing tool. If ea had seen the game sooner it probably would have insisted they drop the mmo direction and go for kotor 3. Bioware got in way over their heads

Albeit a little too late the server tech is actually there now.

I still play,  I don't think TOR is great, it is the best of a bad bunch though which is sadly the state of the MMO industry.

Anywhoo back OT,  A lot of life has been injected since the change to super servers as they called them,  now I'm sure a hater will be here in a moment to state that it was simply a server merge and numbers are the same well sorry but I play and I can categorically say that on my server alone numbers have increased at least 5 fold over what they where prior to the merges and I was on the last EU server that had a launch concurrent user HIGH.   You where looking around 1300-1500 concurrent prior to the server changes/consolidation and now off a pretty basic search 1-2 hrs before peak time you have around 3k online.

It has injected some life into it but the group finder and cross server in the 1-49 range have to be on BW's radar next as there is still considerable wait time in this level range.  I am a pretty casual player who plays 1-2 hrs about 3 nights a week these days and at present it can take up to an hour to get that group going.

• GoromhirGoromhir portland, ORPosts: 292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

incompetent lead staff, wrong deciders and the worst lead designer since Horizons or Asherons Call 2

thats the main reason for the disaster....

• AirtaeeAirtaee Santa CruzPosts: 84Member

You finish first if you put what is fine with SWTOR:

1. Has Star Wars in the name.

2. Lightsabers glow in the dark.

3. Many voices are ok.

4. The first time you do some quests are even fun. (I cant remenber any atm, but back in january I enjoyed one or 2 )

• thamighty213thamighty213 NewcastlePosts: 1,630Member
    Originally posted by Portland
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

incompetent lead staff, wrong deciders and the worst lead designer since Horizons or Asherons Call 2

thats the main reason for the disaster....

This is oh so true.  But you forgot to mention egotistical :)

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Texarkana, TXPosts: 702Member Uncommon

Stated simply..The way gamers look at, and play games, have changed. And the people making AAA MMO's have not. The dev's think throwing more money or a new gimmick will work. But it is not the games that are different..it is the players.

If SWTOR had been released 10 years ago, it would be hailed as one of the greats. 

Some Dev's are still stuck in the mind set of get lots of subs and keep them for years. And the people that are looking for a game to keep for years are a small minority of the total people that buy LOTS of games and play for a while, then move to the next one.

Even the "old timers" that played for years in UO ,WOW and EQ and so on..have changed:P But they mostly do not even realize it themselves:)

Just look at some of the sig's of the forum posters in forums.. see how many games they USED to play or are retired from:) Some of them are the harshest critics of each MMO that comes along.. but they mostly buy them play for a month or 3 and then start looking for the next:)

It is time for everyone to look at the overall pattern here.. and realize that the so called FTP is the first step into the future away from the old sub models.

Some of the sharper dev's, have realized that gamers HAVE changed. And that they will not stay in games like in the old days. And that they need to change the way they attract, and get paid by, those gamers that come, play for a while, and then move on.  Thats where the majority of the gaming market is at and going to stay i think.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Northlake, TXPosts: 660Member

One poster asked, "What did they get right on SWTOR?"

You need to ask what the developers ask, "What is not WOW in SWTOR?"

All of you realize that a founding group of devs here from Lucas Arts thought the NGE was going to work?  It has always been a matter of method over function.  SWG suffered in spades with this even though it was a sandbox game.  TOR was a second chance for the IP to strike lightning without the "drag" of sandbox boredem.  If you played SWG, you know that it was alway a matter of getting the game fixed.  Many players loved the depth of the world but it was still a niech market.  WOW is still the winning formula they are chasing even after WOW is not WOW anymore.

Get a clue LA.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member

PVP as a whole is what's wrong with SWTOR, one of the worst pvp systems out there that I know of, I hate how it's tier-gear based and divides people up. Recruit gear gives you 13K health which you die easily in 3 globals to most classes (most classes can pull 3-5K per hit) and 900 expertise vs 1250-1300 expertise is a wide gap and so is 13K health vs 18-23K health.

In most MMO games, you're put on an even playing field regardless of what gear you're using, but not in SWTOR (nor WoW and a few other select games), it's yet another ladder to climb and it's entirely part of why SWTOR is bleeding subs like crazy.

Also the class balance is extraodinary, some classes has too good advantages while other classes has almost no advantage and too many negatives (like dps assassin/shadow vs a dps powertech/vanguard for example), at least half of Bioware's devs has been departed and hopefully things will change for the better from then on but I'm obviously not going to hold my breath.

13»