Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax Matt Firor latest interview......TESO is an online RPG

Comments

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Been buying elder scrolls games for a while now, I dont think I'll even end up trying the beta on this one.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Exactly TESO is not an MMO it's an online RPG!

All of this without even playing the game. Make sense *rolls eyes*

Hey now, it was in Matt's own words, they aren't making a MMORPG, but something new, different, "better" for sure, they're building us an Online Role Playing Game (ORPG).

We keep losing letters......

Source? Because he simply said mmo is a tierd expressions. Everything up until now from this game as been said it's an mmo. Play on words, get it?

Really, open world dungeons makes sense in a non mmo game /sarcasm

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

The OP literally just put SW:TOR and TSW in league with D3 in terms of what genre of game they are. SW:TOR and TSW are online persistant game worlds, with thousands of other players at 1 time. D3 is a co-op dungeoncrawler RPG with not even a handful of players that you're able to play with....As skeptical as I am about TESO, I still have a feeling that they've got their own stuff to bring to the table with MMO's. They've called it an MMO many times before, other people have addressed it as an MMO to them and they never correct them, for all intents and purposes it sounds like a fully online persistant MMO. My biggest concern is that it's basically going to be a medieval SW:TOR, which I am fine with TBH as SW:TOR is a pretty good game for me, and players who love story and immersion like that. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy TESO, but I do hope that they set themselves apart in a positive way when the time comes.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by ste2000

Read the interview..........it is Matt Firor himself who said TESO is an Online RPG.

Not sure if serious.

Go to the main website, it clearly states mmorpg. It's a play on waors. Ever heard of such a thing? Can i know what seems to be less mmo from what we've heard. I ahven't seen anything about lobby based, c-op anything.

Wait right there!

You mean to say the ste2k took matt firor's words out of context?!

Blasphemy!!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I wish someone would tell Besthesda that they only release "when it is done."  I don't think their buggy games got that memo.

Touche'

But I was talking about the design and the content not the technical side of the game.

TES games have always been buggy, but they've never been rushed so to feel incomplete or shallow like most of recent releases from the competition.

That'swhy they are successful, the gameplay is so addictive and immersive that you almost forget about the bugs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Read the interview..........it is Matt Firor himself who said TESO is an Online RPG.

Not sure if serious.

Go to the main website, it clearly states mmorpg. It's a play on waors. Ever heard of such a thing? Can i know what seems to be less mmo from what we've heard. I ahven't seen anything about lobby based, c-op anything.

Well, I think what he was trying to emphasize is they intend to deliver the game they wish to make, regardless of what people's expectations might have been in terms of being a MMORPG.

Personally I think this leaves the door open to deliver even less functionality than a traditional theme park title, but like you said, we'll see.

But notice at the end of his interview he made the classic mistake, he's putting far too much faith in the TES IP, as if he's got another Star Wars on his hands (and even that didn't turn out too well.  

As far as IP's go, Resident Evil is bigger and has 4 movies about it, TES has well, a couple of books and some console games.

Developers always make the mistake thinking the IP is a huge consideration, most of us stay subbed to a game because they are fun, not because we want to be Darth Vadar.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Not sure if serious.

Well, I think what he was trying to emphasize is they intend to deliver the game they wish to make, regardless of what people's expectations might have been in terms of being a MMORPG.

Personally I think this leaves the door open to deliver even less functionality than a traditional theme park title, but like you said, we'll see.

But notice at the end of his interview he made the classic mistake, he's putting far too much faith in the TES IP, as if he's got another Star Wars on his hands (and even that didn't turn out too well.  

As far as IP's go, Resident Evil is bigger and has 4 movies about it, TES has well, a couple of books and some console games.

Developers always make the mistake thinking the IP is a huge consideration, most of us stay subbed to a game because they are fun, not because we want to be Darth Vadar.

I pretty much said the same thing in a previous thread and someone actually argued that TES was equal to Star Wars and Mario in terms of IP popularity.

Not sure if serious.

I definitely agree that they put too much faith in the IP's themselves, but at the end of the day they're making a game, some people will love it others won't, and to each their own. I think too many people try to generalize and act like everyone wants the same things from this genre, and that's just not the case. If the game is a good game people will play it, if they think it's worth another bill they'll subscribe to it. Commercially speaking SWTOR did fantastic, long term viability is another topic unto it's own though, and it all just really depends on the moves these companies make with their games both pre and post launch. Different things are fun to different people, and I'm glad to see the MMO genre making motions in slightly different directions when it comes to their approach to these games. The whole story and choice movement going on right now is a great, long overdue thing tbh but you do need more then that to maintain peoples interest over a long period of time unless you come up with some magical way of making the story endless. I think they've got some good ideas for TESO, but we haven't really seen any of it so it's going to be hard to truly understand what they're talking about until they really start showing the game.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I will be shocked if this game is not a complete failure. It is NOTHING like skyrim. Skyrim sold 10 million because Skyrim is AWESOME....not because they used the elderscrolls universe.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Matt Firor is an idiot.

*has the benefit of watching almost all other games run headfirst into a wall

*makes new game and does all the same bad things and watches it run headfirst into a wall

*is Matt Firor

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I will be shocked if this game is not a complete failure. It is NOTHING like skyrim. Skyrim sold 10 million because Skyrim is AWESOME....not because they used the elderscrolls universe.

And what made Skyrim so awesome is that you, me and everyone was the center of the game, everything was dynamic, there where no other idiots around to ruin the experience.

Now, put an mmo in it and see what happens

Not sure if serious.

Go to the main website, it clearly states mmorpg. It's a play on words. Ever heard of such a thing? Can i know what seems to be less mmo from what we've heard. I haven't seen anything about lobby based, co-op anything.

Hey we are commenting on Matt Firor interview, not on the game FAQs

An Matt Firor says that what they are doing is an Online RPG.

I just find it curious that Matt admitted something I was thinking while reading all Zenimax interviews, which is that TESO looks like more like an Online RPG very story driven and quite casual (like SWTOR and TSW), rather than a classic MMO

That's why I linked this interview, which other than that doesn't add anything new.

If Skyrim was made into an MMO it would fail, you can only wander around a game world aimlessly with no real sense of genuine involvement or personal importance or personalized narrative for so long before you get bored. The weakest point of the Elder Scrolls games is the story aspect. Sure, they tend to be really pretty games to run around and explore all the nooks and crannies for a couple of months but other then that I've found that most people couldn't care less about them after that point, because they've all become pretty bored with it.

Skyrim sold 10 million copies because it was so heavily hyped, it's a singleplayer game, and it was such an insanely long period of time since the last one. It's not all due to it being "amazing" or not. Personally, I enjoyed the game like most people I know did. A month and some of going through it and taking it in, and I've got absolutely 0 desire to play it again.

Not sure if serious.

Go to the main website, it clearly states mmorpg. It's a play on words. Ever heard of such a thing? Can i know what seems to be less mmo from what we've heard. I haven't seen anything about lobby based, co-op anything.

So what? It's a play. on. words. Everything that as been said about this game, everywhere, is that it's an mmorpg. Stop focusing so much on a small interview quote. He never even said it wasn't an mmo

I just find it curious that Matt admitted something I was thinking while reading all Zenimax interviews, which is that TESO looks like more like an Online RPG very story driven and quite casual (like SWTOR and TSW), rather than a classic MMO

That's why I linked this interview, which other than that doesn't add anything new.

The damm story thing again? Anwer me this, what is the difference between a story driven themepark and non story driven themepark? None. Both have quests, dunegons, etc. Story simply means increasign the cinematic, lore aspect of the game. SWTOR is abit more different, because it as a full single player literally inside the mmo.

TSW "story" is more like lore. Beyond that, it as just as much mmo in is as, oh i don't know, WOW, RIFT, TERA, WAR, AOC, GW2, AION, etc, etc, etc. You know, themeparks. They're mmorpgs just like any.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Valentina

If Skyrim was made into an MMO it would fail, you can only wander around a game world aimlessly with no real sense of genuine involvement or personal importance or personalized narrative for so long before you get bored. The weakest point of the Elder Scrolls games is the story aspect. Sure, they tend to be really pretty games to run around and explore all the nooks and crannies for a couple of months but other then that I've found that most people couldn't care less about them after that point, because they've all become pretty bored with it.

Skyrim sold 10 million copies because it was so heavily hyped, it's a singleplayer game, and it was such an insanely long period of time since the last one. It's not all due to it being "amazing" or not. Personally, I enjoyed the game like most people I know did. A month and some of going through it and taking it in, and I've got absolutely 0 desire to play it again.

I am unclear as to how this makes any difference regarding single player vs MMO vs what MMOs do now? I think my head just exploded. How does it work for a single player experience but not as an MMO and how are current MMOs differ...oh never mind my head just hurts reading that.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

So I actually expect the game to be pushed back a couple of years, and sure I will be waiting.

I just wanna play a TES game in a MMO environment, not another WOW clone, is it too much to ask?

So I can wait, and I bet I am not the only one.

But there are things that can be added, like player housing and a player driven economy (Yes it's hard Matt, I know), and something they can improved, like combat for example.

Sorry mate but I can literally BET that they will NOT push back release by 'couple of years' and make what you want.

I get why you're angry and disappointed from info that was released thus far about TESO. 

I would also want more player-driven game, more focus on economy and general virtual world and not on heavy-story and convenience.

Still NOTHING just nothing points or even suggest that Zenimax / Bethseda will want or even take into faintest consideration to change game.

They rather defend their design which kinda suggest that they will release what they did.

I know that's not what you want to hear. Hell I don't "hear" it myself.

Still that's what it seems.  From what they told till now, they plan to release conveniant, store-heavy themepark for widest audience possible, which suggest game like Swtor or WoW depending on what they will put more focus on.

Absolutely nothing suggest that they want or even consider core design changes to add open world housing, player-made economy or any sandbox features.

If you will be lucky they will add some kind of instanced housing. Like Lotro did.

Kinda pointless imo but well some people like that.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

where did i say that Skyrim would be a good MMO? i didnt. I was just making the point that this IP was NOT the reason why 10 million people bought this game. I have a huge group of friends who game. They all loved Skyrim....most didnt even know about ES before Skyrim....now they are all playing oblivion and Morrowind. When I told them about Elderscrolls online they laughed in my face and said it looked terrible.......this IP wont save this gamr if its a boring WoW clone....which it looks like it will be.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

I don't usually disagree with every single word of a post but yours is special. I think you are wrong about nearly every single thing in this post.

And what made Skyrim so awesome is that you, me and everyone was the center of the game, everything was dynamic, there where no other idiots around to ruin the experience.

Now, put an mmo in it and see what happens

Darkfall

Thing is, put a bl*wtard in your game and it doesnt matter what game it is. The same problem will exist in an open world system, closed WoWish formula or even checkers. There is nothing different about Skyrim that would make that more of an issue then any other game out there

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

I don't usually disagree with every single word of a post but yours is special. I think you are wrong about nearly every single thing in this post.

everything he said sounded like something zenimax would say only it actually made even less sense.

So what? It's a play. on. words. Everything that as been said about this game, everywhere, is that it's an mmorpg. Stop focusing so much on a small interview quote. He never even said it wasn't an mmo

The damm story thing again? Anwer me this, what is the difference between a story driven themepark and non story driven themepark? None. Both have quests, dunegons, etc. Story simply means increasign the cinematic, lore aspect of the game. SWTOR is abit more different, because it as a full single player literally inside the mmo.

TSW "story" is more like lore. Beyond that, it as just as much mmo in is as, oh i don't know, WOW, RIFT, TERA, WAR, AOC, GW2, AION, etc, etc, etc. You know, themeparks. They're mmorpgs just like any.

Actually it is very easy to understand the difference between a story driven MMO, and a classic MMO.

A story driven MMO has is strenght on the story but it is very weak on MMO elements, so what happens is that once you run out of storylines the MMO elements are not strong enough to support the game once the main feature (the story) is done.

That's why I call SWTOR and TSW, Online RPGs (yes they are technically MMORPG), because once the story is gone, the players will go too, and that's because the MMO part of the game is rather weak and won't hold players for long.

A classic MMO obviously doesn't rely too much on the RPG element (mainly story) and has its strenght on the MMO elements which incentivate  the players to play together or against each other (MMO), rather than spending 90% of the time going through a storyline in complete solitude like it happens in SWTOR and TSW (and in any single player RPG).

The fact that lots of classic MMO have failed though it is not because the original idea of MMORPGs (playing together or against each other) is now obsolete, but rather because developers decided that it was a good idea to copy/paste WOW rather than evolving the MMO genre to a different direction, with new ideas.

Zenimax looks like is NOT going to be the ones who revolutionise the genres either, settling for a MMO which sits between WOW and SWTOR.

You know, the funny things is that I was saying the same exact things about SWTOR 2 years before it was released, while the majority of SWTOR fanboys were trying to convince everyone and themselves that SWTOR wasn't going to be just about the story but it would be the WOW killer.

I always said that SWTOR was going to be basically KOTOR Online, and I wasn't wrong.

I am saying the same things about TSW which has just being released and still has lots of support, but I predict that in a couple of months time, after people run out of stories,  it will follow SWTOR fate

So don't say that no one didn't see it coming, because to me it is obvious it will end up that way.

Over the decades and really starting with the very first 'dungeons and dragons' PC game there has been a misunderstanding of RPG as it relates to story vs framework.

Although traditional RPGs are very story focused the story is not the game, its an INSTANCE of the game activity.

So in other words the RPG world, game rules, mechanics etc is the game board and the 'story' is you playing that game it is not however the game itself. 'The Story' is only one of ton stories that can be possible on that same game board.

This is something that the industry sometimes dosent fully understand and it started with the very first eletronic D&D game which took the approach of a single D&D sitdown instead of providing a framework for people to create their own stories.

radically different approaches

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Actually it is very easy to understand the difference between a story driven MMO, and a classic MMO.

A story driven MMO has is strenght on the story but it is very weak on MMO elements, so what happens is that once you run out of storylines the MMO elements are not strong enough to support the game once the main feature (the story) is done.

That's why I call SWTOR and TSW, Online RPGs (yes they are technically MMORPG), because once the story is gone, the players will go too, and that's because the MMO part of the game is rather weak and won't hold players for long.

A classic MMO obviously doesn't rely too much on the RPG element (mainly story) and has its strenght on the MMO elements which incentivate  the players to play together or against each other (MMO), rather than spending 90% of the time going through a storyline in complete solitude like it happens in SWTOR and TSW (and in any single player RPG).

The fact that lots of classic MMO have failed though it is not because the original idea of MMORPGs (playing together or against each other) is now obsolete, but rather because developers decided that it was a good idea to copy/paste WOW rather than evolving the MMO genre to a different direction, with new ideas.

Zenimax looks like is NOT going to be the ones who revolutionise the genres either, settling for a MMO which sits between WOW and SWTOR.

You know, the funny things is that I was saying the same exact things about SWTOR 2 years before it was released, while the majority of SWTOR fanboys were trying to convince everyone and themselves that SWTOR wasn't going to be just about the story but it would be the WOW killer.

I always said that SWTOR was going to be basically KOTOR Online, and I wasn't wrong.

I am saying the same things about TSW which has just being released and still has lots of support, but I predict that in a couple of months time, after people run out of stories,  it will follow SWTOR fate

So don't say that no one didn't see it coming, because to me it is obvious it will end up that way.

Teeehee, I enjoy your posts.

But if we had babies I wouldnt allow you to teach them words like incentivate. Is that like a mash up of motivate and provide incentive? I love it!

INCENTIVATE!!!

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Understandable, and I don't disagree with you. If the game does turn out that way, you can bet your ass i'll flame it just as hard as anyone else.

Here is my problem(s):

1) We don't know how focused on story it is. Skyrim could be argued it focuses on story, or that it doesn't. My first toon I did the main quest line immediately. Now i've got a level 47 tank-archer that hasn't seen the grey-beards.

What is "Story focused"? Is it SW:TOR? Is it optional?

2) We haven't seen game play.

I know I may come off as a fanboi, defending the game from people(s) like you (no offense by the way). But it seems to me that the hate-wagon got a pull-start by a Corvette ZR1. Excerps from quotes, partial too. I can take one sentence from your statement and make you look like an ass as well. 

Again, i'm not trying to be a fan-boi, I don't even know if i'll buy the game. I don't even know if i'll enjoy it if I do buy it. But i'm waiting to hate or love untill I have a reasonable amount of evidence of one side or the other.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by Wolvards

2) We haven't seen game play.

I know I may come off as a fanboi, defending the game from people(s) like you (no offense by the way). But it seems to me that the hate-wagon got a pull-start by a Corvette ZR1. Excerps from quotes, partial too. I can take one sentence from your statement and make you look like an ass as well. 

Again, i'm not trying to be a fan-boi, I don't even know if i'll buy the game. I don't even know if i'll enjoy it if I do buy it. But i'm waiting to hate or love untill I have a reasonable amount of evidence of one side or the other.

see this depends. I mean for example we know (and dont need to experience it) that the game is not FPS combat.

So although its true we dont know what the full experience is until we try it (which I plan on not doing) but we do have a general idea. Just as you have a general idea that if you go to a baseball game that its likely there will not be an endzone in the game.