Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Whats wrong with swtor.

Comments

• david361107david361107 chattanooga, TNPosts: 279Member

I don't see where SWTOR if being effected by F2P games. Example, look at TSW, P2P and doing great, good launch, adding content it's first month. SWTOR is hurting because it really sucks pretty bad. When i was playing it I felt i was on autopilot and nothing like a mmo, single player mostly. I hope they can open it up and fix it but I don't see that happening.

Peace

Lascer

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Wait, so I'm mad that it wasn't a sandbox but I'm a GW2 fanboy? Makes about as much sense as paying for SWTOR. There is a fine line between fandom and senseless.

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by grimal

Exactly,  This incessant bashing of games needs to really stop on these forums.  It's one thing to critique a game, but when you create threads to simply attack the game and fanbase, it really serves no purpose.

I played the game for six months and enjoyed thoroughly (longer than I play most MMOs).  In contrast, I played Eve Online for three weeks and couldn't bear to log in again.  You dont see me going to their forums posting what is "wrong" with their game.  Just do the grownup thing and move on.

I remember similiar hate during the whole SWG debacle. More than I've seen even for any other game..There's just something about Star Wars that brings out the kid in people and it's not the mature kind. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 773Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

The real question is "whats right with swtor?"

That list would be too short to notice.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Exactly,  This incessant bashing of games needs to really stop on these forums.  It's one thing to critique a game, but when you create threads to simply attack the game and fanbase, it really serves no purpose.

I played the game for six months and enjoyed thoroughly (longer than I play most MMOs).  In contrast, I played Eve Online for three weeks and couldn't bear to log in again.  You dont see me going to their forums posting what is "wrong" with their game.  Just do the grownup thing and move on.

I remember similiar hate during the whole SWG debacle. More than I've seen even for any other game..There's just something about Star Wars that brings out the kid in people and it's not the mature kind. 

I think it has more to do with the popularity and hype of the game. SWTOR had that in spades so deserved or not many that were displeased with it or felt their game threatened by it are going to pour it on.

I mean look at the amount of vitriol still thrown WoW's way after all this time.

Same will happen with GW2. Deserved or not it is going to have its detractors and haters upon release. More popular the game the more hatred it breeds amongst some as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

EA seems to think that all their woes and successes revolve around pricing models instead of the actual product.  SWTOR is failing...must be those F2P games.  Battlefield isn't as popular as Modern Warfare, let's make an F2P version.  Let's remake Ultima 4, but be sure to make it F2P so people actually play it!

I almost feel like this mode of thinking is just a way of denying that maybe their products are the problem.  Maybe SWTOR failed because the product had issues and wasn't well suited for the MMORPG market.  It seems to me like the culture at EA is just completely backwards. 

If pricing models were so important then WoW, a P2P game made in 2004(!), would have fallen prey to the legion of newer F2P games.  But that hasn't happened.  WoW is still the dominant MMORPG after EIGHT years.  And why is it still the dominant MMORPG?  Because the product is just that good.

People well shell out money for a great product.  This is a simple concept.  If your product is sub-par...people aren't going to pay.  And you will be forced to put your product in the F2P bargain bin...which seems to be EA's general strategy with everything...they are essentially a bargain bin company now with tons of their titles which is sad.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I think it has more to do with the popularity and hype of the game. SWTOR had that in spades so deserved or not many that were displeased with it or felt their game threatened by it are going to pour it on.

I mean look at the amount of vitriol still thrown WoW's way after all this time.

Same will happen with GW2. Deserved or not it is going to have its detractors and haters upon release. More popular the game the more heatred it breeds amongst some as well.

Yep I agree.  I was interested in SWTOR because it was maybe the most expensive game ever developed and was developed by one of the most renown developers in the business.  And yet it turned out to be pretty derivative.

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common

Same will happen with GW2. Deserved or not it is going to have its detractors and haters upon release. More popular the game the more heatred it breeds amongst some as well.

In GW2's case I think a lot of it will be players of other games who had to endure the fanboys taking a daily dump on their forums and will be returning the favor once its released. Can't say I blame them, because some of those GW2 fanboys have been very obnoxious and condenscending.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

Exactly,  This incessant bashing of games needs to really stop on these forums.  It's one thing to critique a game, but when you create threads to simply attack the game and fanbase, it really serves no purpose.I played the game for six months and enjoyed thoroughly (longer than I play most MMOs).  In contrast, I played Eve Online for three weeks and couldn't bear to log in again.  You dont see me going to their forums posting what is "wrong" with their game.  Just do the grownup thing and move on. 

Companies already get a pass via being bedfellows with politicians, the least we (the consumers) can do is hold them to a standard through various social media means. It's not about bashing, it's about calling out a company that intentionally misled both players and investors and sold us a product that was not complete. They can buy off politicians but they can't continue to give consumers sub par products and not expect various means of recourse through the internet. It might not mean much to them, but reputation spreads, word of mouth is priceless, and every day the consumer gains more ground. I suppose I could take everything a company says to me at face value, smile, and say thank you sir may I have another but I'm more opt to defend myself than go quietly into the night.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Yep I agree.  I was interested in SWTOR because it was maybe the most expensive game ever developed and was developed by one of the most renown developers in the business.  And yet it turned out to be pretty derivative.

The whole hater thing is debatable as well. I mean some around here accuse anyone that says anything negative about a game as they're simply being a hater. Hell...for this game alone I've been called a hater by some and a biodrone by others pending on the subject.

Amongst many other colorful insults thrown at me on the boards and in my inbox.

XD

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

Lack of motivation, creativity, combat is average, story is boring, cartoony art style, instancing, no real space combat, no player housing, gear is dull and pvp is nothing special. It is also a single player rpg with tacked on multiplayer.   

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MosesZDMosesZD Kirkwood, MOPosts: 1,383Member
    Originally posted by Sindorin
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

Judging by your quote, I am guessing you expected SWG v2.0? SWGEmu is thataway --->

SWTOR is great for those who knew what to expect. It's horrible for the folks who thought it was the next greatest Sandbox MMO, and people looking to roleplay a wookie jedi, artisan brawler Sith Emperor.

That is almost certainly, and with little reason to believe otherwise, factually incorrect.   It's an accepted fact that  the vast majority of MMO players are themepark MMO players because that's the vast majority of MMOs and the MMO population.  It would be incredibly unreasonable to believe that the 2.4 million people who bought the game were so heavily skewed by the incredibly tiny sandbox population that your statement could possibly be true.

Plus it ignores that were also huge swaths of people who had NEVER played an MMO so they had no expectations of 'sandbox/themepark.'   Richard Bartle, who played the game (2 level 50s) and kept copious notes on the game for professional purposes, noted that at his blog.   That SWTOR had an amazing number of first-time MMO players.

Heck, my first guild was a 20+ WoW/Rift refugee guild that left in the first two weeks (including EGA).  These were career themepark players.    And many other people on this board experienced the same thing.   Joining (or coming from) guilds that were themepark players looking for a new experience and by the first renewal, lost that lovin' feeling and now they're gone...gone...gone...wooooooh ..

It still crashed, burned and died.    And it wasn't the minority of sandbox player population that caused it...

(With appologies to the Righteous Brothers, the song is a billion times better than the game...)

• MosesZDMosesZD Kirkwood, MOPosts: 1,383Member
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Nolan North as Jedi Consular 

Nope.   He totally mailed it in.  Plus I'm sick and tired of hearing his voice.   He's friggin' everywhere now...

• LokomotivLokomotiv Marinha-GrandePosts: 106Member

Errrr... dunno where to start.

Fail concept + Bioware + EA

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon

There's so much wrong with the game, it would take too long to list it all.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member
    Originally posted by Tayah

There's so much wrong with the game, it would take too long to list it all.

I think the females have some hot asses for cartoon characters.

-Just trying to help.

• ste2000ste2000 londonPosts: 4,699Member Uncommon

As far as I know, WoW has still around 10 Million subscribers............it doesn't look like it is bothered by the F2P games.

Truth is Riccitiello hasn't got a clue, if SWTOR was good enough, people would pay a subscription.

Unfortunately he commissioned  a game which is an Online RPG rather than a real MMORPG, and now he complains that people are not willing to pay a subscription.

SWTOR is basically KOTOR online, why people should pay a monthly fee for an Online RPG?

• benit59benit59 Canton, GAPosts: 114Member Uncommon

The real problem with SWTOR is that they sunk all of their creative efforts into making the voice acting and storylines interesting. They did absolutely nothing creative with combat in terms of differentiating the encounters. As you level, the enviroments change, but the fights are almost all the same. If you have pulled one group, you have pretty much experienced all there is to combat in the game.

Even the instances are formulaic and boring. Basically, if you took away the "Star Wars" and the voice acting...you be left with almost nothing. The game doesn't stand up on its own merit at being a game.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant NuneatonPosts: 170Member
    Originally posted by Sindorin
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

Judging by your quote, I am guessing you expected SWG v2.0? SWGEmu is thataway --->

SWTOR is great for those who knew what to expect. It's horrible for the folks who thought it was the next greatest Sandbox MMO, and people looking to roleplay a wookie jedi, artisan brawler Sith Emperor.

I didn't expect a sandbox game, but I didn't expect a single-player game with a monthly fee attached to it. Which is what we got. Did anyone expect that?

• monarc333monarc333 New York, NYPosts: 615Member Uncommon

If hes worried about FTP just wait till GW2 releases.

Originally posted by MMOSavant

I didn't expect a sandbox game, but I didn't expect a single-player game with a monthly fee attached to it. Which is what we got. Did anyone expect that?

Yeah. How could you not from everything they said about the game and if you played any of the beta at all? Not like they hid things from folks. They were pretty open about things really.

Originally posted by Creslin321

The whole hater thing is debatable as well. I mean some around here accuse anyone that says anything negative about a game as they're simply being a hater. Hell...for this game alone I've been called a hater by some and a biodrone by others pending on the subject.

Amongst many other colorful insults thrown at me on the boards and in my inbox.

XD

Completely agree.  I have been labeled as both a hater and fanboy for GW2 as well because of my negative views on the CS, but positive views on just about everything else.

It seems like many people here just can't grasp that you can and should have mixed and varied perceptions on a game.  Just because I like one aspect of a game, does not mean I'm a blind fanboy and vice versa.

I have pretty negative views on a lot of SWTOR, but I do admit that the SP portion of the game isn't half bad (though not excellent either). 

Anyway, I think people have to stop seeing games as black or white.  So many people treat a video game like it's a sports team and think they have to stay with it through thick and thin...this really isn't the way you should be.  It does nothing but aggravate people who are trying to have a reasonable discussion about the game, and possibly even lead the developers down the wrong path as you blindly support or hate everything they do.

• channel84channel84 CyberjayaPosts: 584Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    snip

And yet to this day people still criticize SW:TOR more for what it isn't than what it is.

SW:TOR has problems, but you rarely hear people talking about them.  I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the whiners didn't even play long enough to comment on issues within the game itself.  Rather all you hear is the game doesn't have this or the game should have had that.  Nevertheless, SW:TOR is exactly what the developers promised it would be.  

It's not perfect, and it needs work if it wants to survive for the long haul, but the base game is as it should be.

Crap is crap no matter how you market or sugarcoat it....it's still crap

I'm glad people are still enjoying this crap ^^

I just heard the Euro is having trouble again, somewhere SWTOR is being affected.

• cylon8cylon8 lodi, NJPosts: 334Member Uncommon
    Soes clone wars ftp mmo has more to offer than tor. Player housing; good character customization,fun mini games even open world combat. Tor is lifeless and segregates players due to outdated server tech.it shows very clearly bioware had no idea how to make an mmo or code the hero engine. The drs insistance that EA remains hands off was their undoing and proved the only used the sw ip as a barganing tool. If ea had seen the game sooner it probably would have insisted they drop the mmo direction and go for kotor 3. Bioware got in way over their heads

so say we all