Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Review in Progress - Part Three

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's continuing "Review in Progress" series on Funcom's The Secret World, our own Suzie Ford dishes her opinions so far on the game's combat, community, and social play aspects.  Read on!

Combat has been a sticky subject for Funcom and fans of The Secret World. Many beta testers complained long and loud about the “clunky” animations as well as finding two or three great synergistic skills and spending too much time mashing buttons. I’ll admit that I was one of the naysayers on the issue of combat based on my experiences on the press server.

Read the rest of Suzie Ford's The Secret World: Review in Progress - Part Three.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

None of the problems mentioned bothered me at all, except the ability wheel. Yes, you definitely get penalized by a poor choice or combo. You really do have to read about your choices carefully. While they boast of so many possible combinations for skills and abilities, it's a little misleading. There really are many combinations. But, not all of those combinations are necessarily optimal / valid.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

If Funcom was smart, they'd make a respec a RMT. 

Charge $2-5 for it in the cash shop and make it have a 2-week cooldown.

A good way for them to get more money from lifers like me. :)

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

I am having no issues with the ability wheel, I spent some time early on looking through the decks and chose my path according to my best rule of thumb, which outfit was going to look the best, while I am sure that one day I'll be able to make better builds I still need to start somewhere and working to a deck will be as good a way as any to begin my bank of abilities.  In the long run I'll move on to a second deck that overlaps with one of my original ability sets meaning I only have to invest in one more ability option, then on to another deck with overlap by which point I should have 3 wonderful outfits and enough abilities to satisfy my choice to modify.  Clunky combat?  well if I had time to worry about that I would be overpowered :) the mobs in The Secret World are DANGEROUS honestly I don't worry about how combat looks I want to survive and put those creatures down.

As a final comment I must just say that Solomon Island is for me one of the finest adventuring areas I have yet encountered in an MMO.  Creepy, funny, dangeous, jump-out-of-my-seaty all by turns and tapping into the sensibilites of cultural references that are known to so many of us.  Wonderful and well done Funcom, after the Age of Conan launch for which I was a founder and a bit disapointed I promised never to pre-order again, so very pleased that I am weak-willed when it comes to my gaming hobby, this has been superb.  I just hope that it will continue into the future zones.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont see any reason why a casual player cant paly this.. Im lucky if i get a few hours a couple of nigths a week with all the other things i do but I still enjoy TSW and dont feel gimped or anything because i dont have that much time to put into it..

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21

To me, the ability wheel decisions make it more lifelike --  I didn't get the tuition money I spent back when I changed majors so I don't expect to get my points money back when I decide to do something different.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I am casual player and  i enjoing in game without feel I am slow in progress

If  funcom listen baby cry & lazy players who ask respect it ll be game killer

, ask for respect is most stupid idea  what I hear

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97

Valid arguments. There are players that will have finished the current ability wheel by the end of the month. I worry about long term viability with Secret World. A signifigant portion of the population rushed through all the content already and even monthly updates won't be enough for them... and yet this is a problem facing every single MMO past, present, and future.

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96

i reckon your respec idea is viable and a once a month timer would be spot on. Even a "you have 3 respecs and thats it" kind of thing would work. The combat system takes some getting used to, i threw my points in haphazardly and regret it now. Now im following a premade deck from the list which seems to be working best for me. The res thing doesnt bother me, plus the anima give me a fantastic fast travel when coupled with /reset, which has little to no downside.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by Segun777

Valid arguments. There are players that will have finished the current ability wheel by the end of the month. I worry about long term viability with Secret World. A signifigant portion of the population rushed through all the content already and even monthly updates won't be enough for them... and yet this is a problem facing every single MMO past, present, and future.

Not to get off topic.  I agree with the fact that 99.8% of these game dead end.  I had an idea for an mmo similar to WURM Online (but with much better graphics).  Take a game similar to this and add invention/timelines.  x time to discover the wheel, and so on.  You would start out with huts/tent and at some point, end up in space.  The game would have no "End Game" because evolution has no end.  Jus need to find a AAA Dev team to build it but the good news is they would only have to build the building blocks.  The players would do the rest.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm still enjoying TSW, it's a pretty good game and I think the story presentation has been excellent.

I don't see a need for a wheel respec, points are easy to get and if you play long enough casual or hardcore you'll soon fill it up. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Respecs would break the game. Having multiple decks is how they gate content. E.g. in the harder mode dungeons boss a might be immune to hinder, boss b might he immune to weaken, boss c might be impossible to tank and require ranged kiting, boss d might require 3 healers etc.. so players entering these harder mode dungeons must have several specs each.

If they allowed respecs they would need some other way to gate content, no doubt having to resort to the tired old tiered item set system.

Also once you get to around blue mountain ap cones thick and fast. You get ap quicker the further you are into the game. I see players rerolling because they don't like the weapons they picked, this us a silly thing to do, they could still up new weapons quicker on their current character than they ever would from rerolling.

Finally as most quests are repeatable, you fan play at your own pace, there is nothing wrong with working on 3 or 4 weapons at once while you level if your the sort if player that likes to mix up their deck every couple of hours play.
  • BatercusBatercus Member Posts: 23

ONe of the better new games in a long time. It is not as easy as some of the newer games, but that is why I like it.

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

I like TSW alot the lore is great and the atmostphere is superb. My problem is also with being stuck in the role you've taken. Not due to bad choice but i am leveling a tank deck and given how difficult combat gets later in the game it becomes very tedious. Not that i die alot actually i very rarely die it just takes me fooooooooorever to kill things. a side mission with only 1 stage kill 2 types of mobs 4 of 1 and 10 of another took me over an hour to complete due to how slow my character kills.

At some areas its better than any other mmo ever
    Quests
    The soundtrack
    The attention to detail in the environment and the historical / mythological accuracy - I strongly recommend looking up things in game on the web, not just investigation quests.

In most other areas its up there with the best also.

Just 2 things they need to sort imo
    1 gear manager needs to ne quicker to use, more intuitive and less buggy
    2 fusang needs to be fixed so its endgame hang out for pvpers, at present its more a fast leveling tool for hardcore pveers that want to hit end game quicker (pvp in general needs more work, its not rift or swtor bad, but with the build system, 3 sides, inverse progression curve and its decent cc system it could be so much more, the basics are right, its the higher level stuff like the reward rules in fusang that need fixing)
    Why are you "leveling in a tank deck"?
    When you bought those tank skills you also bought a bunch of dps skills along the way, its easy to keep 2 sets of gear, why not put on a dps (or actually I recommend a mixed) set of gear while solo and use some damaging abilities. Then when you go dungeons swap to your tank gear and skills. In fact you could run 5 or 6 builds a tank build, a solo single Target build, a solo mob pack build, a dungeon mdps build, couple if pvp builds etc..

Dont limit yourself to one build your missing put on a chunk of fun.
  • J-icepdJ-icepd Member Posts: 23
    I find the quest hard, but slowly my carachter get stronger and stronger and i love it.
    I also did some wrong choises at the apwheel, but i hope funcom could give out some ap point every month the membership get activatet. Great game, and i look forward to play it for a long time. Perfect foe me who like to play solo when i findt the time late at night. I have now vacation and i miss my computer and TSW.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I think the game is built FOR casual players.  I'm at the endgame, story and quest wise and it only took 2 weeks.  For casual players this will take much longer and be worth the monthly fee.  For me, it's not.  I don't raid and I don't repeat dungeon runs ad nauseum in my MMOs.  Usually I reroll or do the alternative stuff like fishing, cooking, alternate achievements, housing, collections and so forth and sadly, this game does not have any of those currently to keep me playing.  Hopefully they add them, but until then I'm not resubbing. 

On the issue of the skill wheel.  I'm torn between liking making builds and aiming to complete decks and not having a steady role to fill or steady dps build to use when soloing.  For me, I like having a class choice or just using one type of weapon for the entirety of my game.  I prefer the way FFXI does it, you level up jobs and mix and match, but you are basically set to that role for that job until you level them up.  This game makes me feel like I can't focus basically.  For those who like that great, for those like me who just want to RELAX and have fun, the way mobs react to certain builds...is just too frustrating for me to enjoy.  Again, that's just me. 

Community is ok.  I find Cabals are pointless right now and are overglorified extra chat rooms.  There is no real incentive for joining any.  Again, I have to wonder why no one copies EQ2s guild system.  It is phenomenal.  I think Rift is the only one that comes close to copying it.  TSW could do with a nice Cabal upgrade to Cabal housing, stats, leveling, perks, whatever.  Something more than what it currently is.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I disagree, this game is perfect for casual players. I find myself logging in for 1-2 hours a night only in the late nights after the day is done and I don't feel I'm behind at all or can't follow the game.

The no rez in game is bothersome. It should be a token or item of some sort you can accumulate and use when needed.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

I have no issue with not being able to respec.  If you make a bad choice then just earn some more points to buy more abilities.  Adds a bit of difficulty to the game and I hope they never change it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Segun777

That is totally their fault.. i never seen a need to rush to the end of any game.. and you know what if i did do that i would be expecting there to be not much content..

Take your time and enjoy the game.. or rush to the end and move on i guess thats the choice really.. Themepark games will always be like that..

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Premade deck are there for guideline,failure to mention that while qqing in a review is a nono 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    At some areas its better than any other mmo ever
    Quests
    The soundtrack
    The attention to detail in the environment and the historical / mythological accuracy - I strongly recommend looking up things in game on the web, not just investigation quests.

In most other areas its up there with the best also.

Just 2 things they need to sort imo
    1 gear manager needs to ne quicker to use, more intuitive and less buggy
    2 fusang needs to be fixed so its endgame hang out for pvpers, at present its more a fast leveling tool for hardcore pveers that want to hit end game quicker (pvp in general needs more work, its not rift or swtor bad, but with the build system, 3 sides, inverse progression curve and its decent cc system it could be so much more, the basics are right, its the higher level stuff like the reward rules in fusang that need fixing)

I agree with everything you've said but the CC system is craptastic for PvE.  Yay I get a 4 second CC on a large cooldown...oh the options!

Solid game although it won't win any awards for being a massive virtual world or things to do outside combat(other than theorycrafting builds).  Kinda thin, but that's to be expected at release.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I've been enjoying the ease I can repeat content, and for me it's been worth repeating, so that I can build up my AP stock to progress in to more complex and interesting builds. There is a problem though, we've seen people complain about button mashing the same skills, we've seen people complain about gimping themselves, let's face it not everyone is going to spend significant time looking through the whole wheel and working out the best synergies AND for a play style they enjoy, why should they? They should if they want to get the most out of the game but without at least one respec available people will and have quit out of frustration rather than invest the time in researching builds. People also rush ahead before they are ready, combine that with a gimped build and the problem is increased, sure they should learn to slow down and learn to create an effective build but there is little room for error when you are forced to continue with a gimped build until you build enough AP to correct that. I see only benefits in allowing at least one respec.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

I don't see a need for respec when you can repeat quests to build up your AP stock again.  I'm starting Egypt and I'm thinking about do KM over again.  Not just for APs either.  I want to repeat the quests to help fill in some gaps and refresh my memory on pieces of storyline I've forgotten.

And I consider myself a casual player.  I feel no need to race the game to the end.

• TzykiraTzykira Member Posts: 13

some "lifers" dont want to waste even MORE money for something that... well basic.