Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax Matt Firor latest interview......TESO is an online RPG

ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Here is the latest interview of Matt Firor.

GamesIndustry_Interview

The more this guy talks the more I think he has no clue.

Here is an extract of the interview:

- Quote 1: "We just want to make a good game and let people who want to play it, play it. It is an online game. MMO is a tired expression. It is an online RPG and we designed it to be a great game."

SWTOR is an Online RPG, TSW is an Online RPG, Diablo 3 is an online RPG...............sure you want to look at that kind of model Matt?

MMO is not a tired expression, it's developers with zero ideas who make Online RPGs instead of MMOs to blame for MMOs loss of meaning.

-Quote 2: "All fears have been erased after the success of Skyrim. It just shows that the IP, fantasy or not, is giant and very popular. It resonates with a lot of people in a lot of different parts of the world. It is perfect for an MMO, so I am not worried about that at all. "

So that's why you decided to make a TES MMO which is nothing like Skyrim and more like WoW (actually SWTOR should be more fitting)?

Skirym sold 10 million copies, are you sure you want to risk alienating a possible pool of 10 millions players by making something that plays more like SWTOR than Skyrim?

I can't see the logic. Really, it doesn't make any sense.

-Quote 3: "Yep, if you don't listen to your community then you end up paying the price eventually. That's why we have giant betas so we can come across those problems and fix them. "

Again, the community has been clear in saying they do not want a WOW with a TES badge on it.

Also WoW players don't want to play another WoW with a different twist.

So this game is not for the 10 Million Skirym fans, and is not for the 10 Million WoW players............who is it the target audiance then?

Players gave already the thumbs down to your vision, still you keep pretending everything is perfectly fine..........of course like any other developer of the latest failed MMORPGs. Nothing new there.

The more I read about it, the more this game looks like is going to be the biggest car crash of the decade.

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If it does go bad maybe the skyrim multiplayer mod with be done.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

This game just gets worse...

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Oh those wonderful quotes. I really wonder if they are going to push the P2P model simply because of the IP. Guess we will find out whenever the Betas start rolling in.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

/meh

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

TESO is nothing more than a quick cash grab.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Honestly, i still think this is better than trying to stick an mmo into Skyrim. BW did that with their single player DA/ME formula and shot them in the foot.

Making an mmo needs to be made froms scratch, not taking an sp and putting mmo on it. One of the very important thngs about Skyrim in the first place, IMHO, is that you're the center of the world. Everything recolvesa round you and dynamic content is truly dynamic and 1 time (well, sort off). PLacing that into an mmo with thousands would probably be worse.

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Nothing quick about developing a MMO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

"is an online rpg"

At least they admit it.

Not that it makes game more attractive cause of that.

Anyway they are propably WAY too far in development to either cancel the project or totally redo it and push back release by 2 + years.   So they are backpeddaling fast, making some quick changes & fixes,  turning on marketting machine and hoping for the best.

Too early to tell before first betas come, but judging on those small info avabile atm it reeks of train wreck coming - in slow motion.

Anyway ste2000  - they are not going to redo game completly so if you're still somewhere deep inside you're hoping that they will 'cave in' to 'community demands' and will greatly redesign TESO then I suggest to root out this hope and decresae this 30% hype meter greatly as this will not happen.

They maybe will do some desperate last minute small changes to make it more mmo, but that will not change fundamental design of game.  It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Does not change much.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Those quotes were indeed funny. I really like number 2.

depending on how they feel it suits their intrest Skyrim is related to TES Online or completely unrelated, just depends.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Give me beta

I will give them hell.

If it's awesome I will eat my words.

But yeah, throwing IP on tired game play doesn't equal win. Unless win is having 250k subs to them. Then sure they can take all their little sheeps and go rot together. While I wait for the next Elder Scrolls game that hopefully grows from what was strong in Skyrim and add some more of that classic TES sim mechanics back into the game.

a yo ho ho

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Sad thing is they're gonna get away with it. This thing will be built and it will be bought because hope dies last.

As I gently weep

I tearfully must say

Its best to keep

Your hands away.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

This is so fun to watch, it's like watching the development of SWTOR and the US supreme court at the same time!

Well, I'll agree, the comments are so reminicent of those of the leaders of previous efforts including SWTOR, WAR, even Copernicus. 

They know better than the fan base because of their many years of experience in the industry, they are sure what the world needs is a better theme park online game (which they for some reason think is the only possible successful model for a MMORPG) and they intend to press forward and deliver us WOW 7.0

Expect the result to be very similar then,(to the clones, not WOW) a ton of initial box sales followed by a rapidly declining sub base thereafter.

Sure wish a title would come along and surprise me, I'm tired of reading the same story.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Krellen

But he called it an "online RPG"! Zing!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Exactly TESO is not an MMO it's an online RPG!

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Seems like they don't have a clear focus of what they want TESO to be. I sense failure.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by fenistil

Anyway ste2000  - they are not going to redo game completly so if you're still somewhere deep inside you're hoping that they will 'cave in' to 'community demands' and will greatly redesign TESO then I suggest to root out this hope and decresae this 30% hype meter greatly as this will not happen.

They maybe will do some desperate last minute small changes to make it more mmo, but that will not change fundamental design of game.  It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Does not change much.

I know,

I've been playing MMOs since the year 2000, this is my hobby, so I know how much time it takes to make a MMO.

Being in developement for 5 years it means that the game is 90% done.

Yet, Bethesda (which owns Zenimax Online) is not EA which push any piece of crap as soon as possible to meet investors deadlines

Bethesda is more like Blizzard which famous motto is "we release it when it is done"

So I actually expect the game to be pushed back a couple of years, and sure I will be waiting.

I just wanna play a TES game in a MMO environment, not another WOW clone, is it too much to ask?

So I can wait, and I bet I am not the only one.

Plus I don't expect Zenimax to start development from scratch, they don't have to change the Engine or the art style, neither the questing or the world maps, so the majority of the content won't be affected.

But there are things that can be added, like player housing and a player driven economy (Yes it's hard Matt, I know), and something they can improved, like combat for example.

I am not asking to copy and paste Skyrim combat and UI, which it is obviously not suited for a MMO, I am not  such a fool to support that..

But I believe that  the combat should be more like TERA (not the same) rather than like WOW or SWTOR.

Honestly I won't be able to play a TES game with WOW combat, it would feel really weird, for me it is absolutely game breaking.

Exploration and an action based combat are the 2 trademarks of TES, if one of the 2 elements is missing, for me it is not a TES game.

I suggest Zenimax to play TERA for few weeks and see if they can get some useful tips from it.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

But he called it an "online RPG"! Zing!

Bwahahaha! Mind if I frame that? ... Pfffwahahaha! I can't stop grinning at this! xD

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

By quick he means after production.

Hype Hype Hype during production. Big Marketing.Big Box Sales. Quickly goes F2P.

Quick cash grab.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

All of this without even playing the game. Make sense *rolls eyes*

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

if you really want them to think about changing the game.. all you need do is simply stop posting in this forum. They said themselves that silence is the worst thing they were afraid of.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Read the interview..........it is Matt Firor himself who said TESO is an Online RPG.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

My God, the weeping and gnashing of teeth over this game is mind boggling.  They were never trying to make an elder scrolls console style rpg. Zenimax is separate from bethesda, so unlike with bioware and KOTOR, future titles won't be effected for that line.

What this is really about is whining because the hip crowd around here wants every mmo to be a skill based fps whackamole game. Not everyone wants that and it may not be the best for an RPG. If you want action fps combat then play those games, but do stop crying because you didn't get your way with this one.

I have no idea if this game will be any good or not. I loved DAOC. If this is updated DAOC there will be a couple hundred thousand of us willing to pay for it. That is more than enough to keep your game floating, unless you spend 200 million on development, which they haven't. If it is bad it will fail, tera failed and it had silly wackamole combat. I know some of you are going to say that was the only good part of the game, but whatever it failed. Swtor is failing, not as quickly as tera though, and you know what the engine, combat style, and classes have absolutely no impact on this. SWTOR failed because the content was shallow and unengaging. This is the key, interface, combat,  are whatever.; players will be fine with it, its the total content fail in modern mmos that cause the games to fail.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hey now, it was in Matt's own words, they aren't making a MMORPG, but something new, different, "better" for sure, they're building us an Online Role Playing Game (ORPG).

We keep losing letters......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by fenistil

I know,

I've been playing MMOs since the year 2000, this is my hobby, so I know how much time it takes to make a MMO.

Being in developement for 5 years it means that the game is 90% done.

Yet, Bethesda (which owns Zenimax Online) is not EA which push any piece of crap as soon as possible to meet investors deadlines

Bethesda is more like Blizzard which famous motto is "we release it when it is done"

So I actually expect the game to be pushed back a couple of years, and sure I will be waiting.

I just wanna play a TES game in a MMO environment, not another WOW clone, is it too much to ask?

So I can wait, and I bet I am not the only one.

Plus I don't expect Zenimax to start development from scratch, they don't have to change the Engine or the art style, neither the questing or the world maps, so the majority of the content won't be affected.

But there are things that can be added, like player housing and a player driven economy (Yes it's hard Matt, I know), and something they can improved, like combat for example.

I am not asking to copy and paste Skyrim combat and UI, which it is obviously not suited for a MMO, I am not  such a fool to support that..

But I believe that  the combat should be more like TERA (not the same) rather than like WOW or SWTOR.

Honestly I won't be able to play a TES game with WOW combat, it would feel really weird, for me it is absolutely game breaking.

Exploration and an action based combat are the 2 trademarks of TES, if one of the 2 elements is missing, for me it is not a TES game.

I suggest Zenimax to play TERA for few weeks and see if they can get some useful tips from it.

I wish someone would tell Besthesda that they only release "when it is done."  I don't think their buggy games got that memo.

Originally posted by ste2000

Read the interview..........it is Matt Firor himself who said TESO is an Online RPG.

Not sure if serious.

Go to the main website, it clearly states mmorpg. It's a play on words. Ever heard of such a thing? Can i know what seems to be less mmo from what we've heard. I haven't seen anything about lobby based, co-op anything.