Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To beta or not to beta that is the question

AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Hey guys,

I am just curious as to how many of you are gonna play in the GW2 beta this weekend? I have the shot at playing but, I don't know to be honest, I want to play but I don't want to spoil the experience and play " To much " of the game, is there anyone else out there that is considering the same thing?

Still aways off , so it's hard to not play LOL

Comments

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I've done the last few weekend events.  I WOULD like to just walk away until opening day but the opportunity to try the Sylvari/Asura would have me kicking my own hindquarters if I didn't.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Play it to get a feeling for the game. Don't buy it if you still on the fence and try to get a free beta key from giveaways. If you like it, buy it, else you might regret doing one or the other.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Do it if you can. You'll get a good feel for the game and possibly save you some money if you have subscriptions to other MMOs that wind up feeling dead and blah after experiencing GW2. Seriously on that... I've dropped a WoW sub and three Eve accounts thanks to GW2. More than paid for the price of the game, and worth the wait. Looking forwards to sampling the Sylvari salad bar this weekend before rolling my Asuran mesmer when we go live.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

I would play if I could, but I will be away the entire weekend. So I will get the Asura and Sylvari all fresh at launch, which isn't so bad either.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I hear ya. Last beta I actually played a few hours here and there but didn't push to go through content.  I will log in but not do a 10-20hr stretch.  I want to play it for real!

Originally posted by Leonona

I would play if I could, but I will be away the entire weekend. So I will get the Asura and Sylvari all fresh at launch, which isn't so bad either.

My only excuse to pull me away would be to power wash the house, garage and deck. I will stave off that need for another

week ^^

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Hey guys,

I am just curious as to how many of you are gonna play in the GW2 beta this weekend? I have the shot at playing but, I don't know to be honest, I want to play but I don't want to spoil the experience and play " To much " of the game, is there anyone else out there that is considering the same thing?

I have to play.   This is the only MMO I've truly enjoyed since LOTRO pre Rise of Isengard expansion.   And a couple of days aren't going to wreck it for me as I still need to try the Mesmer, the re-done Engineer and the Necromancer.   I doubt I get out of the starter areas.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

i'm probably going to try a character/race combo that i would least likely play during launch. maybe some craftng too. then i dont really feel like i'm losing content.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

The only reason you might want to avoid the beta is to avoid the withdrawal you'll feel come Monday.

August 28th is still a long ways away.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

I've played close to 50 hours so far in the two weekends and stress trests.  

I'm pretty much a slave to the all encompassing powers of ArenaNet at this point.  So to answer your question, yes, I'll be playing GW2, but no, I do not have a choice in the matter.  Needless to say, I really love this game.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah tired of playing that my playing won't "stay" and will be wiped.

Really takes away my willingness to play.  Also don't want to spoil myself - so I used to play races / zones I don't plan to play on retail, but then my willingness to play also lower since I don't really enjoy those races.

Seem kinda pointless.

I will propably just fool around and just check classes I haven't played yet for a while and that's it.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I'm with you OP. However It's 3 moths too late for me :D I couldn't resist. I must try Asura and Sylvari. It will help me decide my race greatly.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Pick a race and class you know you wont start off with.  Originally was dead set on Necro n Engineer for starting but fell in love with the Warr class so Beta is good to check out classes as what seemd the best class turned out to be meh for you.  Trying to stay away from the sylvari though as that is the race I'm starting off with but might cave in for a lil sneak peak.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'll most likely fire it up, see if they optimized/changed anything since last time then log out.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Hey guys,

Not sure how you can play "to much", it's only a couple days...

(too)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Pick a class and race, and after the intro move to PvP either WvW or sPvP, it will give you a good feeling without spoiling any of the PvE.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I would have liked to have given beta a go but I didn't bother since I have too much real life stuff going on. The littel time I would have had wouldn't have been worth it. I'll be ready to roll though when my preorder gets here!

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

Hey guys,

I don't think you can possibly spoil the experience for yourself from 3 days of gameplay. To start off:

- There are 5 races with different storylines and zones. Play the few you don't intend to @ launch, no spoilers but you will gain experience and get a feel of Tyria.

- Try WvWvW. Nothing to lose here, there are no spoilers since its ever changing based on player interaction.

- sPvP similar to WvW, nothing to lose here, only experience to be gained while being entertained.

Personally, I'm dying to play this game so any BWE is a blessing for me.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Hey guys,

Nope not gonna play the beta even though I could. While I am not as hyped for the game as some are, I am intrested to see what GW2 will be like, but when I actually am as intrested as I seem to be in GW2 I rather not play the game untill it's released.

For some beta might mean a chance to see if they actually like the game and that can obviously give them a good idea about the gameplay.

Perhaps I am more of a explorer in depth type of gamer, meaning to explore everything new and fresh from the start this goes for my character aswell the ingameworld.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

Simple solution for no spoilers, just play WvW it's all i've done. And if you do try some PvE just don't read any cut-scene stuff etc, just click skip to avoid spoilers.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

It should be easy to play a race you don't plan on making (at least until much later) and a class you don't want to play and trying that. It may surprise you how fun it is?

That is basically what I am going to do. I plan on rolling an Asura and Sylvari and trying out some new classes that I don't plan on playing. Heck, it might even change my opinion on them and make me want to play them.

There are enough leveling areas in the game that I am sure I will not "spoil" much for myself no matter how much I play. Even playing the same zones over again with a new character in past beta events, it felt much different due to different events and things going on each time through. That is the beauty of the dynamic event system.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Intrinsic

Simple solution for no spoilers, just play WvW it's all i've done. And if you do try some PvE just don't read any cut-scene stuff etc, just click skip to avoid spoilers.

True, been doing the same, WvW or Spvp

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I have had bad experiances with beta testing and then liking the game after it launches. I think if I am going to beta test something I don't usually plan on playing it in the long run. The only game I have not had this issue with was SMITE. When it comes to MMO's however I cringe at launch when the obvious issues of beta are not taken care of.

Originally posted by Kidon
    Originally posted by Intrinsic

True, been doing the same, WvW or Spvp

And by skipping the story line, you wont level as much. Unless you played hardcore, you might get to taste the first 20 levels if that.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I start my vacation tomorrow so this BWE couldn't come at a better time for me. Can't wait to try the Sylvari.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED